Twitter: Todd France and CAA part ways

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They are to make him an offer he can’t refuse. That is of course if you intend on retaining him. If not then you make the best offer and be prepared to move on.

No. You can't just offer anything to any player. It has to make sense. There is more to it then that and this doesn't even go into the conversation of what other owners pressure teams to do, in terms of contracts.

We don't agree, that's fine. No big deal.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Disagree that it was a lowball offer. From what I know.

Did he? Not what I heard. How do you know the team didn't offer enough? Maybe they upped their guarantee to 125 mil?

All we're going on is what the rumors were and if that's what was offered towards the end, it was lowball. It's the whole reason no one wants to discuss guarantees because there's no argument against it. You were talking about negotiating in bad faith earlier. Well, here's a case where with what's known, the guarantees were a bad faith offer because they came nowhere near half way that reference I mentioned. No rumors even approached the $120s. But who in the "greedy" crowd is going to acknowledge that? No one. So then we have opinionating in bad faith, lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. The Cowboys tried to pay him. He didn't want to play for what they offered, which BTW, was among the best offers, if not the best offer in the NFL, at the time. I don't really agree with this idea of the team drawing a line or whatever. It was a fair offer. What more is the team supposed to do? I don't understand.
Do you know for a fact what that offer was or what they want you to believe? Because only one side is leaking information and that side has a history of lying. They can say whatever they want because an agent or player knows better than to get into that pissing contest with the ultimate skunks.

May I add something here? We are having a discussion here with differing viewpoints and keeping it civil because we can disagree but agree that we can do that. Nothing spurs a healthier debate than the respect of others' opinions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure, but who's to say that this isn't what the team is doing right now with Dak. I mean, if you believe in the position you state above, then it would seem that the better choice or more appealing choice for you might be to play Dak on the tag for another year and allow our new Coaching Staff to evaluate him further. That provides more info and should translate into a better decision.

Jerry and the team are always critiqued and rarely are the results not mixed. I can't remember the last time the team did something and everybody applauded. That's just how it is today.
I was prepared to bash Jerry regardless which direction he went. I thought he’d cave in.

I could actually applaud standing firm if he hadn’t touted him as their guy. His eternal optimism public mouthing off must be held accountable.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Then it becomes all about public perception which I have been arguing.

He’s only willing to over pay Dak if the team validates his value. It’s not an evaluation or decision he’s willing to make without it. Just another example of how horrid a GM we have.

IMO our franchise QB is arguably not the place to start drawing your line in the sand. And pretty much what the media has been bashing him for.
He was the next up, just happens to be the QB.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Do you know for a fact what that offer was or what they want you to believe? Because only one side is leaking information and that side has a history of lying. They can say whatever they want because an agent or player knows better than to get into that pissing contest with the ultimate skunks.

May I add something here? We are having a discussion here with differing viewpoints and keeping it civil because we can disagree but agree that we can do that. Nothing spurs a healthier debate than the respect of others' opinions.

Well, what the team is rumored to have offered is paltry in terms of guarantees compared to Goff/Wentz. There's a reason no one here wants to debate that (and why I want to, lol).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Fair point but honestly, do you believe that it was not reported reliably? Everybody pretty much reported the same numbers, with the issue being the duration of the contract, which was 5 years. I don't think it was the money and I don't believe the reporting was inaccurate. I think it was the duration. So no, I don't have definitive proof but I have no reason to disbelieve what everybody has reported either.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was the next up, just happens to be the QB.
I initially said Jerry was ready to make Dak the highest paid QB . I recall reading ( too lazy to look it up) where Jerry thought Dak was one of if not the best QB’s in the league and deserved to get paid as such.

It wasn’t until he started receiving pushback from the media and fans that they begun standing firm on their offer . Again, following public perception,

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The goal for the Joneses is to come out as the good guys in this and paint France as a problem and Prescott as greedy, they tried on the latter several times. You cannot believe anything they plant in the media and the fact is no one here knows what was finally offered from with side.

They couldn't make a deal, so what's the problem?

cern

Reaction score
Considering their track record at that position, that's a safe bet. They need luck more than skill to find one.

While there are no guarantees in drafting that position, I would be in favor of them packaging one of the WRs, Elliott and the 1st to move up and get Lawrence. The only way that works is if the team holding the 1st overall doesn't need a QB and even those that don't think they don't, would they pass on him?
considering that lawrence will likely be the first pick taken, we'd be dealing with the worst team in football. and the worst team in football usually doesn't have a good qb. so all the talk of dealing for lawrence comes under the heading of fairy tale, imo.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was prepared to bash Jerry regardless which direction he went. I thought he’d cave in.

I could actually applaud standing firm if he hadn’t touted him as their guy. His eternal optimism public mouthing off must be held accountable.

Accountable to who? Nobody keeps Jerry accountable because he is not built that way. He just doesn't care IMO.

It is what it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No. You can't just offer anything to any player. It has to make sense. There is more to it then that and this doesn't even go into the conversation of what other owners pressure teams to do, in terms of contracts.

We don't agree, that's fine. No big deal.
I’ll continue to argue the divide in contract fallouts stem from their beliefs in Daks QB1 status.

The opponents we’re hearing from agreed to standing firm are basically not All In on Dak needing more team success to validate his value.

Which hadn’t been the platform or perception our organization had been presenting . And why they have been bashed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Accountable to who? Nobody keeps Jerry accountable because he is not built that way. He just doesn't care IMO.

It is what it is.
Jerry still try’s to appease to public perception or Garrett would still be here. He doesn’t care enough but he does care if he thinks it could effect revenue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair point but honestly, do you believe that it was not reported reliably? Everybody pretty much reported the same numbers, with the issue being the duration of the contract, which was 5 years. I don't think it was the money and I don't believe the reporting was inaccurate. I think it was the duration. So no, I don't have definitive proof but I have no reason to disbelieve what everybody has reported either.
Where were those numbers originating? First rule of selling the falsehood, make sure everybody gets the same story and that makes it so much more reliable but it originates from the same source. One that loves to leak.

The media has been known to make up stories but most of the time they are fed. This team's management specializes in that and they have from the beginning, when he first took over the team, getting the media to cover them was job 1 and he even threw parties to get them to do that.

Since neither his agent or Prescott has denied or validated that information, and the Joneses know they won't do that, it becomes fact. It is all conjecture what Prescott wanted and what they offered or he countered with and will remain so.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, what the team is rumored to have offered is paltry in terms of guarantees compared to Goff/Wentz. There's a reason no one here wants to debate that (and why I want to, lol).
Go ahead and debate that but I do think those two players have everything to do with what Prescott wanted. And I think he's damned tired of being constantly comparted to Wentz. I think there was some serious money ranking going on between Prescott and his agent.

They didn't have to make him the highest paid, just higher than Goff and especially Wentz. I think it was that simple.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The goal for the Joneses is to come out as the good guys in this and paint France as a problem and Prescott as greedy, they tried on the latter several times. You cannot believe anything they plant in the media and the fact is no one here knows what was finally offered from with side.

They couldn't make a deal, so what's the problem?
Yep

And it’s up to us and the media to hold their feet to the fire regardless what impact it makes.

It was the local media’s outrage with our organization which has spurred my reaction on this issue.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’ll continue to argue the divide in contract fallouts stem from their beliefs in Daks QB1 status.

The opponents we’re hearing from agreed to standing firm are basically not All In on Dak needing more team success to validate his value.

Which hadn’t been the platform or perception our organization had been presenting . And why they have been bashed.

If that is what you wish, that's fine but I've already explained that this doesn't necessarily revolve around Dak. There is another side. Now, if you choose to only see one side, that's fine, that's on you. But it doesn't make it true. It only makes it your view of this thing.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jerry still try’s to appease to public perception or Garrett would still be here. He doesn’t care enough but he does care if he thinks it could effect revenue.

Sure, if it effects revenue but to me, that's not the same. That's a business decision to me.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Where were those numbers originating? First rule of selling the falsehood, make sure everybody gets the same story and that makes it so much more reliable but it originates from the same source. One that loves to leak.

The media has been known to make up stories but most of the time they are fed. This team's management specializes in that and they have from the beginning, when he first took over the team, getting the media to cover them was job 1 and he even threw parties to get them to do that.

Since neither his agent or Prescott has denied or validated that information, and the Joneses know they won't do that, it becomes fact. It is all conjecture what Prescott wanted and what they offered or he countered with and will remain so.

So, are you trying to say that the team put out he numbers and so there is only one source and that suggests that the numbers were not authentic?

I don't see that. CAA and France have never been shy about using the media to their advantage. They did it with Romo, they did it with DLaw and they did it with Donald so I think we would have heard something if what was being reported was completely off base but I acknowledge that we don't know if the reports are completely accurate. However, we don't know that they aren't either.