Tolbert is working with the great Mo Wells

Toro9

Reaction score
I think Tolbert improved vastly in year two and has more to his game than Gallup. Probably our third WR behind Cooks, whom I hope we retain.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cedric Wilson was a good #3 I don't see what #3 all of a sudden became this great position I remember all the 90s teams #3 wide receiver was nothing hell Alvin Harper in the number two spot hardly ever got any balls what really matters is you have a stud at #1 and then you try to have a productive guy at #2 but #3 is an afterthought because he's not even the number three target I mean how many possesses do you think they have and how many are passing please and how many times are you gonna go to that guy before you go to the number one tight end the number one wide receiver the running back out of the backfield I mean you guys have a bloated view of what a #3 and a #4 wide receiver is hell some of you don't even understand #2...

You simply hope your number two guy is good enough to take some pressure off you're #1 but outside of that there's not enough balls to go around to make the number 3 or 4 superstars they're simply role players how is that any different from the guys who rotate in and out on the defensive line and some of the other positions where they're not gonna start more than 30 to 50% of the snaps so if you go down the line to the third receiver he's at what 20% of the steps and the 4th maybe he gets 5% of the snaps.. This whole spread the ball around concept has been ridiculous to me in the 1st place no your goal is that team is to have a clear number one at all positions and they will eat up all your targets the rest of them are just role players this guys being just as if he's a bad role player Cedric Wilson is a great #3.. So this guy just turns into a really solid productive #3 I'll take that you just can't pay him like you paid gallop gallop's a terrible #3 because of his money not because of his production I'll take 4 to 600 yards from my #3 guy but not it 8 to $12 million...

You simply change that every three or four years you get rid of the number 3 and you get another one you never pay that guy a lot of money they're just role players it's simple as that...
You are talking about 30+ years ago when #3's weren't important. Now a #3 is pretty much a starter

Creeper

Reaction score
I hope he improves a lot this year - because he has to improve a lot to be any good. The Cowboys desperately need someone in the WR2 spot to step up in a big way.

mardwin

Reaction score
The pimple faced teenager says he worked hard last year and it showed.

Realize that if Tolbert doubled his 2023 production this year he'd have a 44-536-4 season.

We're still waiting for a sign that he was worth the pick.
He showed some flashes but you need a consistent QB to maximize his receivers around him. Tolbert is going through the Noah Brown experience, the moment he leaves Dak he will breakout.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Gallup has peaked and Tolbert is nothing special at this point, so there is no question they should be looking to upgrade their wide receiver position.

I wouldn't just be looking for a #3 receiver though, I would be looking for a taller/stronger #2 receiver with the hopes that Cooks could drop down to the #3 position.
I was just so disappointed with Gallup last year. I gave him/the team the benefit of the doubt that 2022 was due to the injury, but clearly he isn't a starting caliber WR at this point and was not very good last year. If not for $4M of his base salary guaranteeing on 3/18 I'd absolutely cut him post 6/1 - I don't think you can cut him 3/17 and designate him a 6/1 cut and get out of paying the $4M. If we cut him now we only save $850K against the cap and even a #4 WR cost more than that so why bother. We could pay him the $4M and cut him post 6/1 which would save $5.5M this year and pay the rest of the dead money next year, but that's not very smart to give up another $4M in cap space even if it helps this year. I guess we could try to trade him post 6/1 for a 7th rounder in 2026 and eat some of his salary, but I'm not sure there will be any takers. Tolbert to me looked like a guy who just wasn't given the opportunity, but can help as a #4 or #5 guy so I'm fine keeping him another year, but for the love of God get him off the punt return team. He can't block the gunner at all and can't cover on fakes.

I disagree on Cooks. I think he is ok as a #2. Remember when you have a #1 dominating targets everyone else's numbers are going to suffer. Cooks had some big catches for us. We probably need a better #3 to go with he and CeeDee though and will need a #2 soon as he is now 30. There are only so many players you can add each year. I'm not sure I can prioritize a #2 WR with our roster set up.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
he's done the most with his opportunities, but let's be real...he wasn't going to get many fighting with Gallup early on. It's Ceedee who lead the league in catches, then Brandon Cooks, then Gallup, then Ferguson...then him. So yeah...I'm not saying he's the next Miles Austin (lol) but...he's not really going to get many chances given the lineup.
lamb always gets the most TARGETS , and then others get the scraps.

Tolbert this year did good with the low # of targets he had.

It is up to mike to give tolbert more targets or not.

Some teams will game plan to give more targets to guys other than the main wideout, knowing he will be covered,. but not dallas.
They will still force targets to lamb.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tolbert stepping up would be huge.
Dallas may have to force that by releasing Gallup and letting Tolbert be WR3 up to the trading deadline.
If he can handle the job you roll.
If not you add a guy at the deadline.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Hey that's your choice and not believe in the guy but you also gotta realize he's in a position to where he's 4th on this team as a wide receiver but probably 6 as an afterthought for targets you're not getting the ball on a regular basis kinda hard to grow in this sport kind of like the backup quarterback who never gets in it's kind of tough I mean all you have is practice and doing these things but you don't get enough reps to ever warm up and get comfortable in a game and we all know that raps you could start out a game and have 0 catches in the first half and then the guy ends up with like 6 catches for 84 yards in the second-half and maybe a touchdown or two literally you have to be on the field to make plays.

So maybe he gets his shot when Gallup probably is a cat casualty that he gets moved up a bump and maybe he gets a few more targets but unless you're the number one or #2 wide receiver or the starting tight end or the starting running back you're not gonna get a lot of opportunities... And some guys are what we call gamers they're better when they get in a game and they warm up throughout the game and get better and better as they get into the flow you chuck a guy out there for five plays and play special teams going to be hard to shine.​
Honestly man, too much. Lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are talking about 30+ years ago when #3's weren't important. Now a #3 is pretty much a starter
not in my opinion I said what I said and I'm sticking with it you can think the way you want to think but I completely disagree that they're like a number one that's ridiculous I realize they could be out on the field but what was the part of our game that was lacking last year that's right it was the run game we threw the ball just fine we just weren't physical enough so maybe we ought to stop thinking about the number three guy and start thinking about the run game and the backs out of the backfield...

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Cooks either. Gallup disappeared and Tolbert has shown nothing. Then you look at Noah Brown who went to another team and tore it up a few games. I think there is a fair amount of the team not giving other guys a chance.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not sold on Cooks either. Gallup disappeared and Tolbert has shown nothing. Then you look at Noah Brown who went to another team and tore it up a few games. I think there is a fair amount of the team not giving other guys a chance.
cooks in like game 6 and beyond when targeted and used in gameplans was very good.. it took this new offense too much time to switch from conservative lets TRY and run and lets the D do a great job to go full out pass first and score a lot . MM got blindsided by bad defense etc.

cooks is a great #2 when used properly/.the entire O including lamb got slow start. post SF blowout they turned it on

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The pimple faced teenager says he worked hard last year and it showed.

Realize that if Tolbert doubled his 2023 production this year he'd have a 44-536-4 season.

We're still waiting for a sign that he was worth the pick.
25 is a bit old for a teenager, but it is what it is. So far, another disappointment for being a 3rd round pick. Don't hold your breath on this one on waiting for that sign.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
not in my opinion I said what I said and I'm sticking with it you can think the way you want to think but I completely disagree that they're like a number one that's ridiculous I realize they could be out on the field but what was the part of our game that was lacking last year that's right it was the run game we threw the ball just fine we just weren't physical enough so maybe we ought to stop thinking about the number three guy and start thinking about the run game and the backs out of the backfield...
Who said they are like a #1. I said they are pretty much starters. Thats not disputable. They play over 70% of the snaps.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Or the QB's decisions....Face it Dak is a one read QB....And how many times is Tolbert going to be designated as the lead target? Not many....
he’s worse than a one read QB, I’ve never seen a QB who looks for the check down first

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
you do realize some guys are just late bloomers they need to be developed this guy was what a third round pick I don't even remember but I use this as an example I mean Randy white did not start until year three and he played special teams for the most part his first two seasons they didn't even know his full time position yet.. However he finally got on the field and the rest is history he became the master but he didn't do anything his first two seasons... I mean just that the wide receiver position I know he wasn't drafted but we have guys here like miles Austin that didn't start getting good until year 3.. Expecting everybody who's drafted or brought in on a yearly basis to be good instantly or to be a Pro Bowl player is the problem with the fans not the player.. Not everyone is destined to be good but there are a lot of role players on teams you know with 53 players there's only 22 starters a lot of guys play special teams and a lot of guys play as backups and there's nothing wrong with a guy finding a steady role as a backup or a special teams guy..

Somehow that's considered a bust around here and it's insanely ridiculous expectations..
I think you are over exaggerating my critique.

I didn't say anything about "instantly good" or "Pro Bowl" or "Busts"

I said I have the feeling that rookies on this team develop slower than other teams or underdevelop. I seem to remember that some of the playoff teams this year had some good contribution from their draft class, KC and Detroit I think... I may be wrong but doesn't it seem that the Cowboys are too slow to develop talent? They are like a year late on playing the younger players and hang on too much to the vets, just my opinion.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
he's done the most with his opportunities, but let's be real...he wasn't going to get many fighting with Gallup early on. It's Ceedee who lead the league in catches, then Brandon Cooks, then Gallup, then Ferguson...then him. So yeah...I'm not saying he's the next Miles Austin (lol) but...he's not really going to get many chances given the lineup.

Exactly, given what he's asked to do, he's done well.