Tolbert penalty

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Happens every play across all levels

It must be a recent phenomenon. No receivers that I played with or against ever asked a ref where to line up. Granted that was high school, but I have to believe that players in college and the pros have more expected of them than high school kids. We never, ever lined up offsides either. Not once.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
It must be a recent phenomenon. No receivers that I played with or against ever asked a ref where to line up. Granted that was high school, but I have to believe that players in college and the pros have more expected of them than high school kids. We never, ever lined up offsides either. Not once.
Been that way since I’ve been involved which is around 30 years. Mike mentioned it is basically part of them lining up. You check with the ref to move up or down. Peripheral vision isn’t ideal for determining relative location. If you watch receivers you can see them do it every play

sacase

Reaction score
I don't understand why the ref would tell a player where to line up. That makes no sense to me at all. Either he's lined up correctly and the play goes on, or he's not and he gets flagged. I've never heard of a ref interfering like that.

When I played we always checked. You have to be on the line of scrimmage so we always asked the ref if we are good. Sometimes they tell you to scoot up or back. This was at the college level.

Plankton

Reaction score
And the players don't know when to do which? Sorry, but that seems like it should be the responsibility of the WR to know where to line up.

It is. Anything else is just excuse making for a player who lacks attention to detail. If people are wondering why he can't get on the field and make an impact, there it is.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
It is. Anything else is just excuse making for a player who lacks attention to detail. If people are wondering why he can't get on the field and make an impact, there it is.
The sheer ignorance is stunning. He’s doing the same thing all players at all levels as his position do. Wild to me how little some of you guys know about the game. Buncha wannabe Skip Bayless

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The sheer ignorance is stunning. He’s doing the same thing all players at all levels as his position do. Wild to me how little some of you guys know about the game. Buncha wannabe Skip Bayless
I've been watching the NFL for almost 50 years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Regardless of whether they all do it, it really seems like something that shouldn't need to be done.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
I've been watching the NFL for almost 50 years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of this. Regardless of whether they all do it, it really seems like something that shouldn't need to be done.
I mean I respect your thoughts but don’t you think they are all doing it for a reason?

quickccc

Reaction score
It's a mere rookie mistake. Dude is still trying to get above water in the NFL,

But people are really flaming and bashing him more because the rookie has been struggling thus far ... .. kick a guy in the throat when he's already down and hurting.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Been that way since I’ve been involved which is around 30 years. Mike mentioned it is basically part of them lining up. You check with the ref to move up or down. Peripheral vision isn’t ideal for determining relative location. If you watch receivers you can see them do it every play

Must've been a different planet then as I played within those same 30 years. It simply wasn't a thing at all.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I mean I respect your thoughts but don’t you think they are all doing it for a reason?
They must be, but it seems like a step that shouldn't be necessary. All the lineman go by the LoS, and the wideouts aren't so far away that they can't see where the ball is spotted.

Cmac

Reaction score
He should have used his own eyes to see where ball spotted.

Tolbert is like McCarthy, too many excuses.
....have the Team Optometrist (if there's one) see him first thing Monday morning. If not, tell him to turn around upon arriving at The Star with "We're going to Lenscrafters right now."

Reactions: BAT

Plankton

Reaction score

Dude, seriously. Quit while you're behind. He asked the side judge if he was good after lining up half a yard ahead of the LOS. According to him, the side judge told him to move up. If you watch the video of what transpired, he moved back a half step. So, if the judge told him one thing, and he did the opposite, it's the side judge's fault? Yes, players check all the time for this - most actually listen and do the right thing. Tolbert clearly did not.

He screwed up. And, never checked where the ball was to line up correctly. That's his responsibility, no one else's. Either what he reported to his teammates was a flat out lie, or he has comprehension issues, as he did the opposite of what he was "told" to do after checking. Blaming the official or anyone else is making an excuse for a player who can't get on the field and can't make a play.

It's okay to call something out for what it is. Doesn't make one less of a fan. It actually makes one informed. You may want to try it out.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Dude, seriously. Quit while you're behind. He asked the side judge if he was good after lining up half a yard ahead of the LOS. According to him, the side judge told him to move up. If you watch the video of what transpired, he moved back a half step. So, if the judge told him one thing, and he did the opposite, it's the side judge's fault? Yes, players check all the time for this - most actually listen and do the right thing. Tolbert clearly did not.

He screwed up. And, never checked where the ball was to line up correctly. That's his responsibility, no one else's. Either what he reported to his teammates was a flat out lie, or he has comprehension issues, as he did the opposite of what he was "told" to do after checking. Blaming the official or anyone else is making an excuse for a player who can't get on the field and can't make a play.

It's okay to call something out for what it is. Doesn't make one less of a fan. It actually makes one informed. You may want to try it out.
Quit what? Knowing what I’m talking about? Arguing with people who outright admit a very common occurrence is new to them? You seem to be confused about who you’re arguing with. I never made any of the claims you’re now focused on Skip. It’s ok that you don’t understand football. I’m sure you have some great insights on the costumes or cheerleaders you can share Skip.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Except that’s not true.

Tolbert literally said the side judge told him to “move back,” which is consistent with what you saw in the video (just not far enough back).

The quote is on DC.com

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
No excuse period!! This guy probably been playing since pee wee football and you tell me he doesn't know how to line up:facepalm::facepalm: