Tom Landry Stadium---You can make it happen

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465454 said:
I have no problem with that. Hell, name the concessions after him, the field whatever, but to say the stadium should be named Tom Landry Stadium or Tom Landry Exxon Mobil Stadium is ludicrous.

The Montreal Canadiens built a new stadium and didn't name it Maurice Richard Centre, it is the Bell Centre (previously Molson Centre).

I think who ever puts the money up for the naming rights should say what the name is after all they will be paying the price.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1465430 said:
Holy cow. This is unbeliveable.

You guys need a life.

BTW, a guy coaches the team for 3 decades and builds it into one of the most recognizable franchises in sports history and your criticism includes a 3-13 season.

Are you really a fan or just someone who likes to create wars?

Thou must take the good with the bad. Good until 1978 despite his choke in the Super Bowl. Then it was pretty much downhill from there, never won a big game, no more SBs, three straight chokes in NFC Championship games and capped off with three straight losing seasons.

He was great for his first 18-19 decades but mediocre after that. Those are facts.

I say name it Jerry Jones Stadium, he already sees himself as a God, so why not cast him in a craven image.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;1465398 said:
How is that any different from making monuments to past heroes (or alleged heroes), you are then putting them on a different plane from everyone else.
No one is offering burnt offerings to anyone here.

Showing appreciation by inscribing someone's name onto something isn't a case of breaking the First Commandment. Is it wrong to honor George Washington with a monument? Is it wrong to inscribe the names of fallen soldiers on the Vietnam Memorial? I mean, what's wrong with naming a stadium after a man who meant so much to the franchise? It's a stadium, albeit a very expensive one, but a stadium nonetheless. It's not a shrine no matter how someone might try to twist it into becoming one.
Whether or not it has been done before is not the point.
It is a valid point. The question of naming a stadium didn't originate with CajunCowboy's online petition. It's been done for decades. Now, all of a sudden, it's 'questionable'?

Get real.
Just read the posts in this thread, I swear old Tom could walk on water and that he single handedly made the team great.
Who said the man walked on water? And who, pray tell, is REALLY trying to 'deify' the man?

He already has a statue, what more do you want?
No comment necessary.
He brought the franchise up but then his absolute refusal to change brought us to 3-13 in 1988.
No person is perfect. Tom Landry wasn't. His coaching style may have become outdated. Who knows if he couldn't have turned it around IF Bum Bright didn't buy the franchise in the last years of coaching career--a fact which you seemed to have forgotten. Or do you believe that Mr. Bright was the most supportive owner this franchise has had in its existence?
When you name something after someone because you claim they were great, you are deifying them from one point of view. Agree with me or not, I don't care.
I don't agree with you and also don't care. I could have a sprinkler head and rename it after my pet cat. Have I really deified the sprinkler head? Please.
Must be a generational thing, you old guys either in age or thinking, were too deferential to your leaders. No critical thinking.
And too many young people have little respect for those who came before them. Or each other. Que sara sara.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465462 said:
Thou must take the good with the bad. Good until 1978 despite his choke in the Super Bowl. Then it was pretty much downhill from there, never won a big game, no more SBs, three straight chokes in NFC Championship games and capped off with three straight losing seasons.

He was great for his first 18-19 decades but mediocre after that. Those are facts.

I say name it Jerry Jones Stadium, he already sees himself as a God, so why not cast him in a craven image.

Wow! Just Wow!

The guy strings together the longest winning season streak in the league and then it's thanks, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nice.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

That when the cowboys first went to the Super Bowl under Jimma Johnson, a newscaster asked expectantly of Tom if he would go to the game in person or at least watch the game on TV.

Tom Terrific's response was that he would "be too busy."
Too busy? Disingenuous and a liar.
He was worse than mediocre in the last several seaons. Just underwhelming.
His mantra was that his firing was "not handled right." That's because he made himself to hard to get ahold of when Jerra was looking for him high and low. Jerra was just trying to build a football team from scratch and Tom was out of pocket. On purpose.

The franchise is waaaay bigger than TL. Let him rest in peace, the big lug.
Excuse me I opt for . . . Jimma Johnson Stadium. :laugh1:

I admire your dedication to TL. good luck in your endeavor, but we already have a tom landry stadium in Mission, Texas..

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;1465543 said:
That when the cowboys first went to the Super Bowl under Jimma Johnson, a newscaster asked expectantly of Tom if he would go to the game in person or at least watch the game on TV.

Tom Terrific's response was that he would "be too busy."
Too busy? Disingenuous and a liar.
He was worse than mediocre in the last several seaons. Just underwhelming.
His mantra was that his firing was "not handled right." That's because he made himself to hard to get ahold of when Jerra was looking for him high and low. Jerra was just trying to build a football team from scratch and Tom was out of pocket. On purpose.
Excuse me I opt for . . . Jimma Johnson Stadium. :laugh1:

I admire your dedication to TL. good luck in your endeavor, but we already have a tom landry stadium in Mission, Texas..

And you know he WASN"T busy how? Were you his personal secretary? How was he disingenuous or a liar?

And honestly, the transisiton was handled poorly. Even Jerry admits that.

To call Landry a liar, well you need to put up some proof before anyone takes you seriously.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1465478 said:
Wow! Just Wow!

The guy strings together the longest winning season streak in the league and then it's thanks, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nice.

Ok, if he were the coach from 1989-1993, do you think we would have won 2 SBs? I don't.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465590 said:
Ok, if he were the coach from 1989-1993, do you think we would have won 2 SBs? I don't.

I don't know. We drafted Troy AIkman with the first pick. Who knows if would have had a franchise QB to work with what would have happened. I can't say and you can't say for sure.

But I know what he has done. And that's enough for me and apparently many others.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
If this board had existed in the 1980s, I guarantee there would have been threads like

"fire that fossil"

"throw that hat and Landry in the trash"

"Landry has lost it"

"I don't care if he won in the past, he is useless now, he is so outcoached by Gibbs and Parcells it is pitiful"

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465618 said:
If this board had existed in the 1980s, I guarantee there would have been threads like

"fire that fossil"

"throw that hat and Landry in the trash"

"Landry has lost it"

"I don't care if he won in the past, he is useless now, he is so outcoached by Gibbs and Parcells it is pitiful"

See post #144!

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score

I'm sorry...I say anyone who coaches great for 180-190 years should indeed be deified......AND cast into a craven image.

CowboyJeff

Reaction score
IMHO, Tom Landry is a demi-god. I think so highly of him, I named my youngest daughter after him. With that said, Jerry values a $700 million dollar potential profit over naming the stadium after Tom Landry. And I don't see anything wrong with that.

superpunk

Reaction score
jackrussell;1465800 said:
I'm sorry...I say anyone who coaches great for 180-190 years should indeed be deified......AND cast into a craven image.

I was pretty much going to say that - word for word yesterday - but I thought it would be too petty.

I was wrong.

:laugh2:

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
superpunk;1466177 said:
I was pretty much going to say that - word for word yesterday - but I thought it would be too petty.

I was wrong.

:laugh2:

You were probably right..I do like more of a challenge than that.

But hey...it was offered up on a silver platter...it's kind of nice not having to put alot of effort into it now and then.:eek::

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1465552 said:
And you know he WASN"T busy how? Were you his personal secretary? How was he disingenuous or a liar?

And honestly, the transisiton was handled poorly. Even Jerry admits that.

To call Landry a liar, well you need to put up some proof before anyone takes you seriously.

He was gonna miss the biggest game of the year.
A Super Bowl game with the Cowboys in it. The team to which he gave, let's see, 100 years to.
On second thought I guess he did have something more important to do that particular Sunday when the Cowboys would get their first Super Bowl win since the late 1970s.
Yes, ol' Tom was too busy with something else instead of football. maybe pouting because Jimma and his team were gonna get something that had eluded him for years.
;)

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Alot of dissrespect being shown to coach Landry over something he has nothing to do with.

:rolleyes: