Tom Landry Stadium---You can make it happen

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1464803 said:
Jones is looking at around 1 Billion dollars for naming rights and I doubt he is going to put stipulations on any company who gets the naming rights nor should he.

I see you still haven't read the thread...bravo. :rolleyes:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Speculation is that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is seeking a record-setting amount -- as much as $1 billion -- for naming rights to the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington.

The ambition to seek an all-time-high naming-rights deal falls in line with Jerry Jones' drive to build the most expensive NFL stadium in league history. The new stadium, to be completed in Arlington in 2009, is expected to cost about $1 billion.
And, some insiders say, Jones is gunning for a billion-dollar naming deal. That would more than double the two highest naming rights deals: the $400 million, 20-year Citibank N.A. deal for Citi Field, the New York stadium that would replace 43-year-old Shea Stadium, home to Major League Baseball's New York Mets; and the $400 million, Barklays plc deal for the Barclays Center, the Brooklyn home of the NBA's New Jersey Nets. Neither facility has been built yet.
The cash involved in the potential Cowboys naming rights deal effectively limits the pool of U.S. companies that could qualify to make the payments over a long period of time.
Frank Jones, a Houston attorney who helped Jerry Jones (no relation) lay the groundwork for building a new Cowboys stadium, said he doesn't think $1 billion for stadium naming rights is out of the question.
"If you look at the Dallas Cowboys and you look at that brand, it's probably the third most recognized in the world of sports," said Jones, who worked with the Jerry Jones family at Winstead Sechrest & Minick PC for three years. The lawyer now works at Greenberg Traurig LLP.
Jones said only the New York Yankees and the Manchester United soccer club are more internationally known than the Dallas Cowboys -- and that that notoriety makes the naming rights extremely valuable.
Frank Jones said he thinks Jerry Jones will stick with a local company in making a naming rights deal, mainly because a local company would see more benefit.
The attorney said he thinks Exxon Mobil Corp. is one of the likeliest candidates for buying the naming rights. "I can't think of anything more powerful than Exxon and that (Cowboys) star," Frank Jones said.
Gantt Walton, a spokesman for Irving-based Exxon Mobil, declined to comment on whether the firm is negotiating to buy the Cowboys stadium naming rights.
Frank Jones said the $1 billion figure is feasible, especially in light of the $310 million, 31-year deal that Reliant Stadium in Houston fetched for the NFL expansion team the Texas Titans.
He added, however, that Jerry Jones will be careful in protecting the Cowboys name from the tarnish of an Enron Field debacle -- that whatever company he partners with, it will be the right choice.
Enron Field in Houston later lost its name when the energy-trading company it was named for skidded into scandal; the naming rights then were passed on to Minute Maid, the Coca-Cola subsidiary.
However, observers say, don't expect Jerry Jones to compromise the Cowboys' brand name by pairing the stadium with a financially shaky company.
On March 19, the Texas Rangers announced it reacquired the name of its stadium after Ameriquest -- actually, its parent company, subprime lender Orange, Calif.-based ACC Capital Holdings -- agreed to give up the rights.
Fourteen months earlier, Ameriquest had declined the Rangers' offer to reclaim the name. That was before the firm was forced to make across-the-board cuts to trim expenses. Defaults on loans have jumped as customers have had trouble making their payments.
Two months before the Rangers' March 19 announcement, Ameriquest became more interested in the team's offer to reclaim the stadium's name, freeing the company from the balance of its 30-year, $75 million contract with the Rangers. The stadium now is known as the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. The old name was Ameriquest Field in Arlington.
Terms of the agreement between Ameriquest and the Rangers were unavailable.
Meantime, some scoff at the idea of $1 billion for naming rights. Among them is University of Oregon Professor Dennis Howard.
Howard, who teaches at the Lundquist College of Business at the university, said the naming-rights craze has played itself out, mostly because so many facilities have sold their naming rights, it has created too much media "clutter."
So far, nine companies have failed to honor their stadium naming rights agreements out of financial concerns, said Howard, who teaches at the college's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center.
He said in order to reach $1 billion, the Cowboys will have to allow the naming-rights buyer incredible access to NFL fans and multiple opportunities to pair themselves with Cowboys players. Even then, he questions whether the opportunities would translate into $1 billion.
He said few publicly traded companies could justify the naming-rights purchase to stockholders.
Regardless of all the speculation, the Cowboys probably won't say who's buying the naming rights until about 2008, a year before the stadium opens, Frank Jones said.
Currently, mum's the word out of Cowboys headquarters at Valley Ranch. "Right now we're assembling a list of potential partners and we're not discussing it ... with the media," said Cowboys spokesman Brett Daniels

Doomsday101

Reaction score
tomson75;1464805 said:
I see you still haven't read the thread...bravo. :rolleyes:

Yes I read what you had to say

It wouldn't preclude him from naming the field in Landry's memory. His contributions to the Cowboys and to the sport itself far exceed the boundaries set by your memories alone. Future generations of Cowboys fans should be aware, and this is one avenue of educating them should they choose to become educated fans.

I'm not naive enough to believe Jerry would turn down millions of dollars to honor Landry...the stadium will be named after the highest bidder...but naming the field, and having the field mentioned in conjunction with the stadium is not far-fetched.

IMO, having a petition forwarded to Jerry expressing the continued homage to one of our greatest sportsman is a good thing. Sign up.

Feel better? I understand what your saying evidently you have no clue as to what I'm saying.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1464807 said:
Speculation is that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is seeking a record

Does it say anything in the article about Tom Landry??

That's what this thread is about. Honoring a guy. This can still be accomplished and Jerry still get his millions or billions or whatever. Why must some people turn everything into a pissing contest?

superpunk

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1464817 said:
Does it say anything in the article about Tom Landry??

That's what this thread is about. Honoring a guy. This can still be accomplished and Jerry still get his millions or billions or whatever. Why must some people turn everything into a pissing contest?

We have weak bladders.

It's a nice gesture, at least, Cajun.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
If he wants to name the field Tom Landry field, that is one thing, but I doubt it ends up as Tom Landry Field at Exxon Mobil Stadium.

In the end, I suspect old Tom would be embarassed that anyone wanted to name a stadium after him.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;1464798 said:
300 SIGS and going strong! You guys are great!

Please direct me to the "Jerry, for the good of the franchise, you must step down as GM" petition. Much more important than stadium naming rights.

superpunk

Reaction score
bbgun;1465209 said:
Please direct me to the "Jerry, for the good of the franchise, you must step down as GM" petition. Much more important than stadium naming rights.

Is there a thread you won't attempt to hijack?

Maybe if we started one about Salma Hayek...

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1465213 said:
Is there a thread you won't attempt to hijack?

Maybe if we started one about Salma Hayek...

I hijack threads? More like injecting some sorely-needed levity. And as WG reminded silverbore yesterday, dissenters are welcome here too.

As for the Landry petition, which is awash in group-think, sentimentality and peer pressure, I shant be signing. If Jerry thought that much of him, he would have moved to have Texas Stadium immediately renamed. The Landry statue will be transported to the new site, and that's sufficient. It's Jerry's baby; let him reap the rewards.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
bbgun;1465225 said:
I hijack threads? More like injecting some sorely-needed levity. And as WG reminded silverbore yesterday, dissenters are welcome here too.

It wasn't dissenting...you said some random thing about having jerry step down, which had nothing to do with the topic.

bbgun said:
As for the Landry petition, which is awash in group-think, sentimentality and peer pressure, I shant be signing. If Jerry thought that much of him, he would have moved to have Texas Stadium immediately renamed. The Landry statue will be transported to the new site, and that's sufficient. It's Jerry's baby; let him reap the rewards.

There we go, now this is perfectly fine, you're entitled to your opinion.

superpunk

Reaction score
bbgun;1465225 said:

Eh, you're clever enough to know what it is you do. ;) I think...

The thread is a nice gesture. Dissent....levity....hah.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;1465229 said:
Eh, you're clever enough to know what it is you do. ;) I think...

I just thought it ironic that a stadium, and not the slow destruction of a franchise, would prompt a petition drive. Call it misplaced priorities.

The thread is a nice gesture. Dissent....levity....hah.

Not sure where you're from, but I grew up in a democracy.

superpunk

Reaction score
bbgun;1465266 said:
I just thought it ironic that a stadium, and not the slow destruction of a franchise, would prompt a petition drive. Call it misplaced priorities.

Surely you're clever enough to notice that I didn't even approach a demand for you to keep silent? It was a simple question, and regardless of where your priorities lie, your Jerry Jones as GM comments are nothing more than a hijack attempt.

Which you're free to strive for, of course. I merely wondered if there were any threads you wouldn't attempt to do so in - you and eduncan are an elite sort of group. ;)

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
bbgun;1465266 said:

:rolleyes:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CanadianCowboysFan;1465110 said:
In the end, I suspect old Tom would be embarassed that anyone wanted to name a stadium after him.
Do you think he's going to object?

Better question: Do you believe that his living family will object?

This is getting a bit nuts. On the one hand, there are those who understand that there might not be a chance in hell that this petition (or any other appeal) will have any effect whatsoever. But, for some strange reason, others are literally beside themselves contemplating over the attempt itself.

Amazing.

Last question.

When does...

deify tr.v., -fied, -fy·ing, -fies. To make a god of; raise to the condition of a god. [ http://www.answers.com/deify&r=67 ]

...equal "naming a stadium after Tom Landry"? I'm still lost there. :confused:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
How is that any different from making monuments to past heroes (or alleged heroes), you are then putting them on a different plane from everyone else. Whether or not it has been done before is not the point. Just read the posts in this thread, I swear old Tom could walk on water and that he single handedly made the team great.

He already has a statue, what more do you want? He brought the franchise up but then his absolute refusal to change brought us to 3-13 in 1988.

When you name something after someone because you claim they were great, you are deifying them from one point of view. Agree with me or not, I don't care.

Must be a generational thing, you old guys either in age or thinking, were too deferential to your leaders. No critical thinking.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
Yes thank you even before they voted for the statium to be in arlington I said it should be Landry statium.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465398 said:
How is that any different from making monuments to past heroes (or alleged heroes), you are then putting them on a different plane from everyone else. Whether or not it has been done before is not the point. Just read the posts in this thread, I swear old Tom could walk on water and that he single handedly made the team great.

He already has a statue, what more do you want? He brought the franchise up but then his absolute refusal to change brought us to 3-13 in 1988.

When you name something after someone because you claim they were great, you are deifying them from one point of view. Agree with me or not, I don't care.

Must be a generational thing, you old guys either in age or thinking, were too deferential to your leaders. No critical thinking.

My reason has little to do with Landry the coach who I do think was a great man and a great coach. What I'm looking at is when trying to put a deal like this together and have a company fork over as much money as Jerry is looking at then I don't think it is fair to put stipulations on them of having to include Landry name.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;1465398 said:

Holy cow. This is unbeliveable.

You guys need a life.

BTW, a guy coaches the team for 3 decades and builds it into one of the most recognizable franchises in sports history and your criticism includes a 3-13 season.

Are you really a fan or just someone who likes to create wars?

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1465424 said:
My reason has little to do with Landry the coach who I do think was a great man and a great coach. What I'm looking at is when trying to put a deal like this together and have a company fork over as much money as Jerry is looking at then I don't think it is fair to put stipulations on them of having to include Landry name.

I have no problem with that. Hell, name the concessions after him, the field whatever, but to say the stadium should be named Tom Landry Stadium or Tom Landry Exxon Mobil Stadium is ludicrous.

The Montreal Canadiens built a new stadium and didn't name it Maurice Richard Centre, it is the Bell Centre (previously Molson Centre).