Tony Casillas on Current State of the Cowboys: “Everything Comes Before Winning”

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Last time I checked Jerry has 3 rings. How many owners or GM’s can say that?
Jerry has 3 rings because he was so consumed with paying off the loan used to purchase the team, he let Jimmy run the football operations. Once Jerry paid off the loan and the Cowboys were making money, Jerry started meddling which helped drive Jimmy away and put the team on its long journey to playoff irrelevance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I get all the Debbie Downers here, but if we had one or 2 playmakers healthy we're in the playoffs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They arent vetting the players properly. If ray lewis was drafted here would he have all of a sudden not cared about football? Doubt it

Its a combination of poor vetting and poor player development. There is no reason guys like Trysten Hill who was a head case in college with a poor work rate reputation should be drafted by this team in round 2. Taco was another head case with a questionable work ethic. We missed LVE's neck thing. About the only guys we really hit on are the no-brainer OLmen in round 1 and WRs.......... And then there are guys like Chidi and Jourdain Lewis who never really improved from their rookie years. But, we let a guy like Byron Jones walk who had a great work ethic and improved tremendously as a player during his tenure........... its as if we have morons running the FO. Oh wait.......

Swagger

Reaction score
Its a combination of poor vetting and poor player development. There is no reason guys like Trysten Hill who was a head case in college with a poor work rate reputation should be drafted by this team in round 2. Taco was another head case with a questionable work ethic. We missed LVE's neck thing. About the only guys we really hit on are the no-brainer OLmen in round 1 and WRs.......... And then there are guys like Chidi and Jourdain Lewis who never really improved from their rookie years. But, we let a guy like Byron Jones walk who had a great work ethic and improved tremendously as a player during his tenure........... its as if we have morons running the FO. Oh wait.......
So true.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Agree with him. The main issue I see isn’t just the celebrity it is the enabling. You play like Jaylon and act a fool and everyone comes to your defense so then Jaylon has no fear of repercussions. Same with all players. Film shows one thing snd you have the Jones boys on the radio saying they are great. Leads to a financially stable life for being mediocre

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with him. The main issue I see isn’t just the celebrity it is the enabling. You play like Jaylon and act a fool and everyone comes to your defense so then Jaylon has no fear of repercussions. Same with all players. Film shows one thing snd you have the Jones boys on the radio saying they are great. Leads to a financially stable life for being mediocre

Jerry's been lying to us for 25 years. He has no conscious about it. He makes a decision and will do everything in his power to prove he made the correct call.........far beyond when most would admit failure and move on. Thats how we ended up with JG coaching for 10 seasons. Jerry believes his own BS.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I get all the Debbie Downers here, but if we had one or 2 playmakers healthy we're in the playoffs.
This is always the excuse.. if only we had that guy healthy or this guy healthy. Take a look around the league and you start to notice that every team has its injured guys. Fact is that the Dallas Jerry’s are a franchise in decline. Terribly managed because the owner is interested in everything but winning and creating a winning culture. This is about his ego and not the actual team.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Jerry's been lying to us for 25 years. He has no conscious about it. He makes a decision and will do everything in his power to prove he made the correct call.........far beyond when most would admit failure and move on. Thats how we ended up with JG coaching for 10 seasons. Jerry believes his own BS.

Right. I almost brought JG into it. And you don’t think those players watched JG for 10 yrs and didn’t think...if he’s getting away with it, we are too. It was all a front to “not be wrong.”

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right. I almost brought JG into it. And you don’t think those players watched JG for 10 yrs and didn’t think...if he’s getting away with it, we are too. It was all a front to “not be wrong.”

Exactly right. If the coaching staff and front office aren't accountable for results, they aren't going to hold anyone else accountable either. Thats been Dallas since JJ left town. The buck stops nowhere.

Aven8

Reaction score
When evaluating the Cowboys just bet against the odds. If they look like a winner they won’t be. If they look like they will be terrible they will win. It’s strange and maddening really.

Just get into the playoffs year after year like the good organizations and sooner or later you will win the SB again. That’s all I want is the chance.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is always the excuse.. if only we had that guy healthy or this guy healthy. Take a look around the league and you start to notice that every team has its injured guys. Fact is that the Dallas Jerry’s are a franchise in decline. Terribly managed because the owner is interested in everything but winning and creating a winning culture. This is about his ego and not the actual team.
Excuses are to lesson the blame. Injuries were a large factor, I couldn't possibly care less about the rest of the league. If you ignore the injuries we sustained at significant positions that's on you. Your last 2 sentences are just your own personal conjecture.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
he is pretty much right everything does come before what it takes to win

Flamma

Reaction score
This is 100% true.

It’s not just about winning with Jerry. It’s about winning HIS WAY. If he can’t win HIS WAY with him as GM. He doesn’t care.

he isn’t willing to take a hit to his ego, to win.

I mean seriously. How hard is it to hire a GM? But he won’t do it.

That means his ego. Is more important than winning.

And that is why he loses.

I don't see how hiring a GM is going to change the entitlement culture. Some GMs are terrible. The Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2016, and won't have one again until 2024. Does the Lions GM impress? Or some of these coaches that take over personnel. Terrible. Jerry has done some really ill advised moves in the past as GM. But I haven't seen that for around a decade. If anything, he's too conservative. And every team signs players they regret signing to extensions.

Rayman70

Reaction score
what has Jerry done lately...meaning the last 23 plus years? That is one helluva drought under any circumstances.

Rayman70

Reaction score
iu

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is 100% true.

It’s not just about winning with Jerry. It’s about winning HIS WAY. If he can’t win HIS WAY with him as GM. He doesn’t care.

he isn’t willing to take a hit to his ego, to win.

I mean seriously. How hard is it to hire a GM? But he won’t do it.

That means his ego. Is more important than winning.

And that is why he loses.

Its about Jerry thinking he knows what he is doing when he doesnt. He thinks he can run a football team like you run a regular business.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't see how hiring a GM is going to change the entitlement culture. Some GMs are terrible. The Rams haven't had a first round pick since 2016, and won't have one again until 2024. Does the Lions GM impress? Or some of these coaches that take over personnel. Terrible. Jerry has done some really ill advised moves in the past as GM. But I haven't seen that for around a decade. If anything, he's too conservative. And every team signs players they regret signing to extensions.

Hiring a GM guarantees nothing. But it’s the point that Jerry won’t do it. Because his ego won’t allow him to.

any other GM would have been fired a long time ago with the same track record of failure.

his ego stops him from doing it.