Tony Casillas on Current State of the Cowboys: “Everything Comes Before Winning”

Rayman70

Reaction score
Hiring a GM guarantees nothing. But it’s the point that Jerry won’t do it. Because his ego won’t allow him to.

any other GM would have been fired a long time ago with the same track record of failure.

his ego stops him from doing it.
this. HEY...lets hire Elway...oh wait...lets not. He kinda sucks at drafting.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hiring a GM guarantees nothing. But it’s the point that Jerry won’t do it. Because his ego won’t allow him to.

any other GM would have been fired a long time ago with the same track record of failure.

his ego stops him from doing it.

Well sure. I don't know that it's ego, even though I know his is probably through the roof. But if I'm the owner of a team and I can handle the job as GM, I'm not hiring someone else to do it. A lot of these owners have no clue so they hire outside help. No one worth their salt is going to hire someone else to do the job they can do themselves. Call it ego if you want, but that holds true for anything. Unless Jerry gets lazy or thinks he sucks, it's never going to happen.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Going to have to dig in a get serious jerry. I have children in their late 20's that already don't understand what the fuss is about. When us old farts go Stephen is going to be in trouble. It's going to be the "Who Cares" team. I've been really wondering how long they can squeeze every drop of "America's Team" out of that moniker and it still work?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Excuses are to lesson the blame. Injuries were a large factor, I couldn't possibly care less about the rest of the league. If you ignore the injuries we sustained at significant positions that's on you. Your last 2 sentences are just your own personal conjecture.

Sorry that makes no sense, if the rest of the league is dealing with injuries and not falling apart when they lose people.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Sorry that makes no sense, if the rest of the league is dealing with injuries and not falling apart when they lose people.
Name me another team that lost their starting left tackle, starting right tackle, starting QB, starting right guard, & starting tight end? Not to mention their back up tackles. And that's just on offense.

Creeper

Reaction score
I dispute that the roster is full of talent. Talent wins game. This team doesn't. So how can they be talented? I think we fall for the hype. Jerry drafts a guy and he is the greatest player ever before he even steps on the field. But most of the time, he isn't. We bestow stardom on Cowboys players way too easily, and based mostly on a comparison to other Cowboys players. I won't get into arguments about specific Cowboys players but even the fans buy the hype about Jerry's players some of the time.

Dak is good, he is not great,
Amari Cooper is good, he is not great.
Zeke is pretty average right now, but hardly great.
Go down the entire roster, where to you see great? Zack Martin is great. Tyron Smith used to be, but he is not great anymore. How about on defense? Demarcus Lawrence is good, not great.

We watch Donovan Wilson make a play and he is a budding star. No, he is not. He is just better than the garbage we've seen play that position before him.

The roster is not full of talent. There are some good players but how many of the Cowboys players made the Pro-Bowl this year? Who will be in the hall of fame after he retires?

Jerry's best quality as a GM is convincing people he acquires talent. Too bad his talent never wins. A quarter century of not making it to the NFC championship game and there are only two other teams that are that pathetic. If you have talent, at some point the stars align and you make it to playoffs and win a few games. If that doesn't happen it is because you are pretenders.

A team with the worst defense in history is not full of talent. It is full of bad players.

dckid

Reaction score
Culture eats strategy for Breakfast. It is true in the corporate world it is true in your household it is true on the way a professional team is run.
I think 99% of my posts about how Jerry has ruined the culture of the Cowboys. The lack of accountability, the lassie faire attitude towards winning comes from the top. Jerry already has 3 SB's he only cares about lining his pockets and pushing the same narrative over the past 26 years. He just wants to be average, and build stadiums and run a circus. Winning is the last thing on his mind.
The man who drove the culture, and who's fumes this team has been running on left in 1994. Without those 3 SB's we are at best case the Miami Dolphins, maybe Jerry would have sold the team. Who knows. Maybe ever since 1989 this organization would have been in a better place. There would be no Jerry world but maybe we would have had a a level headed owner... These are the thought experiments I have.
Honestly guys and gals, the only way we have any success is if we get a Patrick Mahomes like QB somehow fall to us. There is no other way this team will even get to a championship game.
My expectations are not even winning a SB anymore. I don't even dream of that. This is why I wanted so badly to tank.
There is nothing special about Dak, he is a good player but in a year or two after he is making 38-40 per year and we are 6-10 to 8-8, the same question that arises with the Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Ravens with Flacco, Sam Bradford, you name the average QB making top 5 money. What a huge mistake the Cowboys made.
Successful teams win by not losing, that is the first step towards success. Please remember that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Well sure. I don't know that it's ego, even though I know his is probably through the roof. But if I'm the owner of a team and I can handle the job as GM, I'm not hiring someone else to do it. A lot of these owners have no clue so they hire outside help. No one worth their salt is going to hire someone else to do the job they can do themselves. Call it ego if you want, but that holds true for anything. Unless Jerry gets lazy or thinks he sucks, it's never going to happen.

Jerry doesn’t have a clue. He sucks as a GM. The last 25 years the team has been dreadful and is like bottom 5 in playoff success.

The last time the cowboys were good...... was when Jerry hired Jimmy and actually let him do the work....... then Jerry got in a pissing March with Jimmy over ego and it’s been all downhill ever since.

pitt33

Reaction score
Jerry does want to win. More than anything else before he leaves this earth.

It's just that he doesn't know how.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score

No Jerry wants his theory that coaching does not matter to be proven. To that end he will suffer as many losing seasons. Those three tiles in the 90s while he may claim was his effort everyone including Jerry knows that without Jimmy Johnson he isn’t winning anything.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry can't sit there and say that winning is the ultimate priority when he refuses to fire a GM who hasn't won in 25 years.

Nor is the media capable of giving him a difficult enough time apparently.

Shane612

Reaction score
Team has to look good on TV.
Check : their uniform is the most recognizable in sports. They look like a brand new minted $1,000,000.00 bill.
Jerry has to make lots of money.
Check: Jerry is super loaded.
Jerry has to feed his ego.
Check: Jerry is a HOFer, and is more famous than the team.
The team has to consistently win.
Nope. They suck to to core. I doubt they can beat U of Alabama.

Thomas82

Reaction score
This is 100% true.

It’s not just about winning with Jerry. It’s about winning HIS WAY. If he can’t win HIS WAY with him as GM. He doesn’t care.

he isn’t willing to take a hit to his ego, to win.

I mean seriously. How hard is it to hire a GM? But he won’t do it.

That means his ego. Is more important than winning.

And that is why he loses.

Even Emmitt said this in 1993 after he signed his contract. He said when he was observing the Cowboys without him, he saw an owner that was playing with his future and trying to put himself before the team.

dckid

Reaction score

He does not. Winning is item 10 on his checklist. He just wants to be average, so the media talking heads think the Cowboys are still relevant.

dckid

Reaction score
No Jerry wants his theory that coaching does not matter to be proven. To that end he will suffer as many losing seasons. Those three tiles in the 90s while he may claim was his effort everyone including Jerry knows that without Jimmy Johnson he isn’t winning anything.
Thank you.
Jerry is an idiot of epic proportions. He was gifted 3 SB's in his first 7 years of ownership and he just doesn't care about winning anymore. He is satisfied. He is a HOF'r. Life is mostly about incentive. Money is not a concern for him, he bring in more revenue and more profit than any other sports team in the USA for sure. He has the most valuable team in all of sports. Winning is just a cosmetic thing he doesnt worry about. He goes to the trophy case and can see 5 Lombardi's. He has already won the game of life. He has burned down the culture to the ashes and built up a tower of nonsense and propaganda. This team is in ruins. To me we are in worst shape than the Lions or WFT. At least those teams can admit they have a problem, and have tried to hire coaches and front offices that acknowledge they have a problem. Our response is we like our guys, we have to sign Dak, we need more war daddy's, Tryron Smith is back next year watch out.