Tony Pauline: Jets Want La’el + Pick for Adams

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Pauline said on today’s episode of his podcast (Draft Insiders) that the Jets want La’el Collins and a pick in exchange for Adams. He says that the Jets don’t think they can get the Cowboys to agree to this price - however, the Jets may consider doing the deal for La’el only.

I’m out at this price. No way am I giving up a very good RT for a safety.

The Cowboys likely don't place as much value on Adams in the new defensive scheme. Adams is an SS that thrives up around the line. The new scheme is a base 2-deep Safety alignment.

The Mike Nolan scheme tends to use Safeties with more CB type traits and less LB type traits. Both Safeties tend to be similar. It's basically 2 Free Safety types.

Adams would still be great in the new scheme but the "need" for Adams is much lower in this scheme than in the previous Cowboys defensive scheme.

JoaquinFenix

Reaction score
Tony Pauline said on today’s episode of his podcast (Draft Insiders) that the Jets want La’el Collins and a pick in exchange for Adams. He says that the Jets don’t think they can get the Cowboys to agree to this price - however, the Jets may consider doing the deal for La’el only.

I’m out at this price. No way am I giving up a very good RT for a safety.
Trading a top player on a good contract at a premium position for a top player on a soon-to-be bad contract at a non-premium position isn’t good business.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I guess your theory is to keep doing the same thing but expect different results. La'El is a good but replaceable player. He's on a "good contract" for a veteran. He is by no means cheap. Giving up draft picks never works b/c you need those cheap rookie contracts in order to pay your stars. You can't keep everyone. You have to pick and choose where to spend your money and the defense is in far more need than the offense.

My ‘theory’ is to make the team better, not worse.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What is the pick? Not a 1. If I had more faith in Conner Williams' ability to take over on the right side, I'd be more likely to do it.

I would not do it. Williams, IMO, is not a RT, never was. That, to me, is just a lot of talk from people who really haven't watched Connor Williams throughout his career. Again, JMO.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
i am so happy that finally we are runny 2 similar safety system.
so much better to mix up the defense and hope Nolan makes this work
we dont have to Adams as talented as he is.
leave the Oline alone.
we may have a ton of talent in the secondary

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The number one consideration is what makes us a better team. Imo, the defense needs more help than the offense.
I agree the defense needs more help than the offense, but my concern is we are already having to find replacements at Center and LG, and our LT has had ongoing back problems, so that only leaves RG and RT without any concerns. Take Collins out of the picture and that would take the number down to 1. The Cowboys put a lot into building the O-Line, and I would hate to see it fall apart.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Well, I guess your theory is to keep doing the same thing but expect different results. La'el is a good but replaceable player. He's on a "good contract" for a veteran. He is by no means cheap. Giving up draft picks never works b/c you need those cheap rookie contracts in order to pay your stars. You can't keep everyone. You have to pick and choose where to spend your money and the defense is in far more need than the offense.

La'el Collins graded as the 8th best offensive lineman in the league, and the 3rd best tackle. And he's on a good contract. I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Adams much less add draft capital.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Pass. I love Adam's but no! Dallas is 2-3 years away. Giving away one of the Best tackles in the game plus high draft capitol, plus tons of money for a contract. Bad idea
2-3 years away from what, having to rebuild again?

Agreed with your take on Adams, but I guess you've been conditioned to believe if we dont have a top player at each position we have no chance.

Garrett was hideous, but have some faith. A real staff with real schemes and modern ideas will be worth quite a bit!

cern

Reaction score
I agree the defense needs more help than the offense, but my concern is we are already having to find replacements at Center and LG, and our LT has had ongoing back problems, so that only leaves RG and RT without any concerns. Take Collins out of the picture and that would take the number down to 1. The Cowboys put a lot into building the O-Line, and I would hate to see it fall apart.
williams, mcgovern, biadasz, and knight give me hope the fo has done a good job loading up the o-line for the future. also looney. but it's been forever since we had a safety that really dominated.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
2-3 years away from what, having to rebuild again?

Agreed with your take on Adams, but I guess you've been conditioned to believe if we dont have a top player at each position we have no chance.

Garrett was hideous, but have some faith. A real staff with real schemes and modern ideas will be worth quite a bit!

No dallas will be good. Just don't see them being contenders this season. Haven't since 07. Too many moving pieces and things to figure out imo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
asxed rtfgyuh5jiko78pl;[9'l+
Lol no way I'm giving up lael. Offer a first and 3rd and call it day. Someone else will probably pony up more anyway

So what you are saying is that Collins is worth a first and a 3rd? Not a chance.

Lets not forget that a first and 3rd round pick are on rookie deals for 4 to 5 years.

Collins isn't in the same league as Adams. Adams is an All Pro. He is probably the best SS in the NFL.

If they would ACTUALLY take Adams straight up for Collins then its a no brainer.

If McGovern or Williams doesn't work out then you either fill the RT spot with a FA next offseason or you use either of the first or 3rd round picks you were going to give up and get one.

Collins deal is a good one. However Adams is still on his rookie deal for two more years, both years he is getting paid less than Collins salary.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You don't trade a top three, soon to be 27 year-old, RT for a damn safety. I like Adams but not that much!

What is so great about a RT? And who says he is top 3 RT?

Adams is the #1 SS in the NFL. All Pro at the position of biggest need for us in the secondary which is currently our weakest link on defense.

Its a no brainer. Collins hasn't even made a pro bowl for heavens sake. He has had ONE good year for the Cowboys. Overall where he was rated as a first round pick, he has actually disappointed.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The Cowboys likely don't place as much value on Adams in the new defensive scheme. Adams is an SS that thrives up around the line. The new scheme is a base 2-deep Safety alignment.

The Mike Nolan scheme tends to use Safeties with more CB type traits and less LB type traits. Both Safeties tend to be similar. It's basically 2 Free Safety types.

Adams would still be great in the new scheme but the "need" for Adams is much lower in this scheme than in the previous Cowboys defensive scheme.

I thought McCarthy and Nolan adjusted scheme to players vs. players to scheme?

At least, this is what they have been saying since they were hired.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
La'el Collins graded as the 8th best offensive lineman in the league, and the 3rd best tackle. And he's on a good contract. I wouldn't even trade him straight up for Adams much less add draft capital.

This is much ado about nothing IMO. Lael would be a 15M cap hit (dead money) if traded this season.

If this was Jets request, it's simply negotiations 101.

Last edited:

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
What is so great about a RT? And who says he is top 3 RT?

Adams is the #1 SS in the NFL. All Pro at the position of biggest need for us in the secondary which is currently our weakest link on defense.

Its a no brainer. Collins hasn't even made a pro bowl for heavens sake. He has had ONE good year for the Cowboys. Overall where he was rated as a first round pick, he has actually disappointed.

PFF had him graded as the third best tackle, not just RT. And I have no idea how you think he disappointed. He had one down year learning a new position, but besides that has been really good.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
asxed rtfgyuh5jiko78pl;[9'l+

So what you are saying is that Collins is worth a first and a 3rd? Not a chance.

Lets not forget that a first and 3rd round pick are on rookie deals for 4 to 5 years.

Collins isn't in the same league as Adams. Adams is an All Pro. He is probably the best SS in the NFL.

If they would ACTUALLY take Adams straight up for Collins then its a no brainer.

If McGovern or Williams doesn't work out then you either fill the RT spot with a FA next offseason or you use either of the first or 3rd round picks you were going to give up and get one.

Collins deal is a good one. However Adams is still on his rookie deal for two more years, both years he is getting paid less than Collins salary.

Tunsil was traded for two 1sts so Collins easily worth a 1st and 3rd.