Tony Pauline: Jets Want La’el + Pick for Adams

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is much ado about nothing IMO. Lael would be a 15M cap hit (dead money) if traded this season.

If this was Jets request, it's simply negotiations 101.
What's funny is that this has been mentioned at least 3 times in this thread. At least once by myself and people just keep on rolling like that has no bearing.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What is so great about a RT? And who says he is top 3 RT?

Adams is the #1 SS in the NFL. All Pro at the position of biggest need for us in the secondary which is currently our weakest link on defense.

Its a no brainer. Collins hasn't even made a pro bowl for heavens sake. He has had ONE good year for the Cowboys. Overall where he was rated as a first round pick, he has actually disappointed.

I believe Collins is a quality starter, but far from an elite one. You cannot say that about Adams. Positional value probably favors RT, but the team does have legitimate options in-house.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My ‘theory’ is to make the team better, not worse.

How does keeping La'El make the team better? Our offense is LOADED with or without him. No team outside of maybe KC has more talent on offense than we do. Its gotten us no where. Not sure how adding one of the top 3 safeties in the NFL makes us worse.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought McCarthy and Nolan adjusted scheme to players vs. players to scheme?

At least, this is what they have been saying since they were hired.

They don't adjust to players that are not on the team...

The concept is "don't bypass a player in the draft that is the BPA but that does not fit the scheme". MM prefers to adjust the scheme instead of bypassing the best player available.

Trading a 1st, 3rd and giving up huge cap space for Adams is basically the opposite of that concept.

Teams that 'must have" specific players for their scheme are the teams most likely to give up both premium picks AND huge cap space for a player.

Corso

Reaction score
How does keeping La'El make the team better? Our offense is LOADED with or without him. No team outside of maybe KC has more talent on offense than we do. Its gotten us no where. Not sure how adding one of the top 3 safeties in the NFL makes us worse.
My guess would be that nearly the entire OL is in flux right now with a new C, uncertainty at LG and Tyron being counted on to lose games nearly every year now.
That's kind of an important unit.

I know we can speculate on dudes who have been nobodies and young guys we haven't even seen play yet, but that doesn't really sound like a healthy exercise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Losing one of the best right tackles in the league does. You know this.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My guess would be that nearly the entire OL is in flux right now with a new C, uncertainty at LG and Tyron being counted on to lose games nearly every year now.
That's kind of an important unit.

I know we can speculate on dudes who have been nobodies and young guys we haven't even seen play yet, but that doesn't really sound like a healthy exercise.

Whose KC got on their OL? Not a single pro bowler last year. The Qb makes or breaks the OL in most cases. Dak does not need to be surrounded by a solid wall of pro bowlers.

We have plenty of depth at OL to absorb the loss of La'El if thats what it takes to get Adams in a Cowboy uniform.

Corso

Reaction score
Whose KC got on their OL? Not a single pro bowler last year. The Qb makes or breaks the OL in most cases. Dak does not need to be surrounded by a solid wall of pro bowlers.

We have plenty of depth at OL to absorb the loss of La'El if thats what it takes to get Adams in a Cowboy uniform.
That's all well and good. OL is still in flux and we've seen Dak's sacks when TFred is not playing.

And you know nothing about the team's depth at OL.

Corso

Reaction score
Then I'm saying you're flat out wrong.

I'm not trading Collins and neither will the Cowboys.
Seriously. These guys look at the skill positions and salivate while, just a hop, skip and a jump ago Dak got sacked over 50 times when his OL was in disarray.
How do you get your skill players the ball while Dak is on the ground?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Tony Pauline said on today’s episode of his podcast (Draft Insiders) that the Jets want La’el Collins and a pick in exchange for Adams. He says that the Jets don’t think they can get the Cowboys to agree to this price - however, the Jets may consider doing the deal for La’el only.

I’m out at this price. No way am I giving up a very good RT for a safety.
HECK TO THE NO! Adams is nothing but a S. The Cowboys have only drafted 1 S in the first round in recent history, Roy Williams, and he is no Roy Williams. Keep you long term RT you got lucky to have and move on signing Eric Reid or Eric Berry.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then I'm saying you're flat out wrong.

I'm not trading Collins and neither will the Cowboys.

I'm not wrong. Having one more pro bowl caliber player on the OL did not result in any success. Pretty sure thats not debatable coming off an 8-8 season.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HECK TO THE NO! Adams is nothing but a S. The Cowboys have only drafted 1 S in the first round in recent history, Roy Williams, and he is no Roy Williams. Keep you long term RT you got lucky to have and move on signing Eric Reid or Eric Berry.

Cowboys have had very little playoff success " in recent history" ..... or heck, go back 1996. Adams is a play making safety and one the leagues top 3 at his position..........and he's only 24. He killed us when we played the Jets. So you can't disparage the safety position as if it has less impact on the game than a right tackle. Quick, name Kc's right tackle. Bet you had to google it.

Reactions: BAT

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously. These guys look at the skill positions and salivate while, just a hop, skip and a jump ago Dak got sacked over 50 times when his OL was in disarray.

Dak holding onto the ball too long and rolling into pressure is a documented problem.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's all well and good. OL is still in flux and we've seen Dak's sacks when TFred is not playing.

And you know nothing about the team's depth at OL.

I know we have more talent than KC. Tfred wasn't very good last year and Dak did fine. ......according to all who want to sign him.

Reactions: BAT

cern

Reaction score
The more I've thought about it, the more I'm inclined to agree with your position. Trading la'el would just create too many problems on the o-line. So no adams for me.