Tony Pollard Ready For a Starting Role?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weber is not a NFL back....Pollard is. Weber is not gonna make the team. Everyone is going bananas on his best case projection as a every down type of back. You cant forget that this guy is a 7th round pick.....Scarborough 2.0

Weber to Scarbrough is a terrible comparison.

Scarbrough was a physical attributes pick (big with decent speed) that had minimal developed skill as a RB. He looked like what you would expect if a LB had been moved to RB with a 1 week of practice before getting RB snaps in a game.

A better comparison is Alfred Morris (2012 6th round). Weber is smaller but faster than Morris.
Neither were Wow athletes coming out of college but both showed developed RB skills and good football IQ.

Weber has good contact balance which is an overlooked trait. RBs without it rarely live up to their other athletic abilities. Lack of quality contact balance is a primary reason why Darren McFadden never lived up to his freak size/speed athletic abilities in the NFL.

Like Morris, Weber is a 1 cut runner and more of a grind it out type than big play threat.

Scarbrough at best case was going to need a year or two on the practice squad to develop RB skills.

Weber could likely contribute as a rookie but his future upside is probably limited to career backup or rotational RB on a team that uses a RB by committee approach. He'll need to show ability on special teams to have a chance to make the 46 man game-day roster.

I don't know if Weber will make the roster but there is no obvious reason that he can't.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
PJTHEDOORS let me know that he was sick when he ran at the combined. He really runs a 4.3.
That's good to know. It will be interesting to see but I think Darius Jackson will win the job over pollard and weber. I think pollard will be used more as a scat back/slot wr.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
That's good to know. It will be interesting to see but I think Darius Jackson will win the job over pollard and weber. I think pollard will be used more as a scat back/slot wr.
I agree that Jackson wins the backup duties. The Cowboys might have to keep all four on the 53. Because if we cut Weber he will not make it to the practice squad. Besides I would love to see how teams would play us with Pollard and Zeke both in slot positions and Weber in the back field.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I agree that Jackson wins the backup duties. The Cowboys might have to keep all four on the 53. Because if we cut Weber he will not make it to the practice squad. Besides I would love to see how teams would play us with Pollard and Zeke both in slot positions and Weber in the back field.
I would let someone poach weber off the PS. If zeke is suspended which is likely keep him on the 53 until zeke is reinstated then put him on PS

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I would let someone poach weber off the PS. If zeke is suspended which is likely keep him on the 53 until zeke is reinstated then put him on PS
As a pure runner, Weber might be better than Jackson and Pollard. Im rooting for Weber to make on the 53, but I have durability concerns about him. But that's what preseason is for.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Weber to Scarbrough is a terrible comparison.

Scarbrough was a physical attributes pick (big with decent speed) that had minimal developed skill as a RB. He looked like what you would expect if a LB had been moved to RB with a 1 week of practice before getting RB snaps in a game.

A better comparison is Alfred Morris (2012 6th round). Weber is smaller but faster than Morris.
Neither were Wow athletes coming out of college but both showed developed RB skills and good football IQ.

Weber has good contact balance which is an overlooked trait. RBs without it rarely live up to their other athletic abilities. Lack of quality contact balance is a primary reason why Darren McFadden never lived up to his freak size/speed athletic abilities in the NFL.

Like Morris, Weber is a 1 cut runner and more of a grind it out type than big play threat.

Scarbrough at best case was going to need a year or two on the practice squad to develop RB skills.

Weber could likely contribute as a rookie but his future upside is probably limited to career backup or rotational RB on a team that uses a RB by committee approach. He'll need to show ability on special teams to have a chance to make the 46 man game-day roster.

I don't know if Weber will make the roster but there is no obvious reason that he can't.
Weber looked like a more explosive runner as a freshman. Had a hamstring injury as a sophomore and has a lot of unimpressive tape after. Looked better as a junior last season but still didn't show the same quickness and explosiveness that he did as a freshman.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

The Joneses Like Pollard, thus he will get more touches in camp than Jackson.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry I had to do it. But with Zeke's history don't be surprised if this becomes our reality. I personally would prefer Pollard over Weber. Thoughts?

TROLL...........................................:facepalm:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Pollard wasnt drafted to be Zeke's backup. He isnt that type of player and thats not the role they picked him for. If Zeke is going to miss games, expect them to sign a free agent as a replacement or make a trade unless they feel Weber can do it

Weber, Jackson, Chunn.

Jackson is the most credible of the 3. GB signed him to their 53 when they needed a game day backup.

I'm against a last minute free agent signing. The guy won't have any comfort with the play book or how we play.

I wonder, though.

Maybe they consider a Olawale/PSRunner combo enough if Zeke goes down. Olawale does short yardage, 3rd down, generic runner does 1st and 2nd. May be better than any borderline PS player or any off the street free agent at last minute.

I like my brilliant new idea. Maybe this is why they paid Olawale real money. He provides the half a starting RB that requires experience, letting us fill in the other half that requires pure running with borderline PS players.

That combo obviously isn't as good as carrying a veteran RB on the roster, but it saves us the roster spot that vet would take up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Based on what Ive seen Pollard can be a primary back up for Zeke. I'm expecting that he will win the role while also adding plays as a hybrid WR/RB.

There is absolutely NOTHING in Pollards short career that indicates he can be a full time RB. Cowboys didn't draft him for that.

People were shocked he was drafted so high. He was probably more of a 6th round pick type talent. Much better in the role of change of pace back. No chance this kid handles the ball 20-30 times a game as a RB.

But this is all dumb anyway as Zeke isn't missing any time. He wont get suspended for that.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
There is absolutely NOTHING in Pollards short career that indicates he can be a full time RB. Cowboys didn't draft him for that.

People were shocked he was drafted so high. He was probably more of a 6th round pick type talent. Much better in the role of change of pace back. No chance this kid handles the ball 20-30 times a game as a RB.

But this is all dumb anyway as Zeke isn't missing any time. He wont get suspended for that.
Child please.....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He did an extensive amount of blocking in college. More of it was run blocking than pass blocking but he can do both. It might look ugly on occasion but he gets the job done.

Its reading blitzes and the like more than technique/ability that worries me.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You got nothing.

You probably know nothing about either back and are just looking at where the Cowboys drafted them. LOL

Child indeed.
Yep I have nothing.....but do some research. Maybe we can have a factual conversation about this topic.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tony Pollard is bigger than Christan McCaffrey and full time RBs Phillip Lindsay and Marlon Mack. Ppl here are saying he can carry the load, based off what?

Weber has some ability and has a chance to make the team. Everybody has a chance right now. Looking at traits tho I see RB2 as:

#1 Pollard
#2 Weber

#3 Chunn
#4 Jackson