Video: Tony Pollard: The Most UNDERRATED Rookie in the NFL

reddyuta

Reaction score
Over hyped/under hyped whatever........kid runs a little too high IMO from what I’ve seen in limited action.

he does but he has good balance which means he wont go down on first contact.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Zeke trolls sorry but preseason against lessor talent with no game plan is NOT being underrated..no snaps in the nfl..lets wait say 8games or more in and have some actual data on the guy..jeez he will not be better then Zeke I can predict that because that would take an awful lot to outblock, leap, maul, run and catch better then a top 3 NFL Proven back who doesnt get hurt..

I hope he succeeds but no way to even have any idea what he can do as a fulltime back..good try though, believe the hype being thrown out by the FO wink no wink JJ its posturing they know who the best back is and its for sure not an unproven rookie..

visionary

Reaction score
We don’t really know the inside story
Zeke probably does
If Zeke comes back by week 1 without a new deal that’ll tell us something

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Talk to me after week four!
THIS!! Lets' see him get the extra yard(s) on 3rd/4th and short against 1st team defenses when the games count. Let's see him pick up his assigned blocks on the blitz. Let's see him physically and mentally last for 25+ carries per game.
I'm a fan if he can do these things.

JayFord

Reaction score
I'm so sick of this contrived Tony Pollard hype. Talk to me in Week 1.

I agree

Pollard has all of what 10 carries in preseason and no doubt has looked good but cmon now he’s dont nothing in an NFL official game

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Not true. Linehan used Zeke like a battering ram to wear down the defense between the tackles. A very unimaginative run game. Zeke is a special player that can be elusive and speedy yet runs with bruising power. Pollard will never be able to do that. Besides, this is preseason and Pollard is running on guys that will be working at the car wash in a couple of weeks.
It's like you never saw the man ever play a game. Zeke never got his longest runs until later in the game, once he got warmed up. In contrast, Pollard gives us instant results without having to get a bunch of carries to warm up. He's not a 30 carry a game RB but he doesn't need to be.

You have mischaracterized who Pollard is if you think he can't be elusive and speedy yet run with bruising power. Pollard already doesn't, you just have your head so far up Zeke's butt that you can't possibly appreciate what Pollard can do. :muttley:

morasp

Reaction score
As far as Pollard not doing it in real games of course he needs to prove he can do it in games that count but unless someone has a time machine we'll just have to wait and see. That's what makes the sport fun. For the time being I like seeing all the positive buzz about him and am excited that he has the potential to be a good player for us.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
IMO Pollard is the most over hyped rookie/RB in the league. Dude has not done anything of meaning and people think he can carry the rock 20x per game.

I think he has looked good but not great. We have no idea how many carries he can handle in a game and more importantly how many games can he handle being the primary back. I do think having both him and Zeke will be a great backfield though.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Over hyped/under hyped whatever........kid runs a little too high IMO from what I’ve seen in limited action.
So did Eric Dickerson and Gayle Sayers and lots of other successful RBs. Not calling him a star in the making, but the only time being an upright back is a questionable running style is when you are a power back. He’s not that.

Reactions: CWR

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Not true. Linehan used Zeke like a battering ram to wear down the defense between the tackles. A very unimaginative run game. Zeke is a special player that can be elusive and speedy yet runs with bruising power. Pollard will never be able to do that. Besides, this is preseason and Pollard is running on guys that will be working at the car wash in a couple of weeks.
Elusive? I never saw hat even at Ohio St.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
What I saw from Pollard last year & on Saturday reminded me of RB Aaron Jones (UTEP; 5th Rd-Green Bay)

- Pollard is 2" taller, ~5lbs heavier, but otherwise similar styles

- Both faced questions about running between the tackles. Jones can despite his size and Pollard definitely can, but neither is a bruising back

- Both are elusive and have really good burst through the hole so they don't necessarily have to be bruising backs.

- Neither necessarily has breakaway speed, but Pollard is more likely to break off longer runs than Jones. These are guys that can consistently get their yards in 4-5yd chunks

- Both are above average pass catchers and are good after the catch.

- I haven't heard anything about Pollard being a fumbler; Jones has 1 fumble on 214 carries/35receptions

if Aaron Jones can be a starting RB in the NFL, then there's no doubt Pollard could do the same.
If Zeke decides to sit out ANY games in 2019, I think Tony Pollard could fill in just fine.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THIS!! Lets' see him get the extra yard(s) on 3rd/4th and short against 1st team defenses when the games count. Let's see him pick up his assigned blocks on the blitz. Let's see him physically and mentally last for 25+ carries per game.
I'm a fan if he can do these things.

Why would he need to have 25+ carries per game?

Zeke:
2018: Averaged 20.2 carries/game
2017: Only played 10 games.
2016: Averaged 21.5 carries/game.

Kamara:
2018: Averaged 15 carries/game.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Hitting on this pick would be huge for the Cowboys and that has little to do with Zeke. Even if he remained a change of pace back to Zeke, having a guy come in that is a legitimate threat in his own right changes the game for opposing defenses. And when they are both on the field? That would be a nightmare for a defensive coordinator.

I'm excited about this guy.
Hitting on the trysten hill pick would have been huge. Hitting on a rb pick that will touch the ball 5-10 times a game is meh

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I saw from Pollard last year & on Saturday reminded me of RB Aaron Jones (UTEP; 5th Rd-Green Bay)

- Pollard is 2" taller, ~5lbs heavier, but otherwise similar styles

- Both faced questions about running between the tackles. Jones can despite his size and Pollard definitely can, but neither is a bruising back

- Both are elusive and have really good burst through the hole so they don't necessarily have to be bruising backs.

- Neither necessarily has breakaway speed, but Pollard is more likely to break off longer runs than Jones. These are guys that can consistently get their yards in 4-5yd chunks

- Both are above average pass catchers and are good after the catch.

- I haven't heard anything about Pollard being a fumbler; Jones has 1 fumble on 214 carries/35receptions

if Aaron Jones can be a starting RB in the NFL, then there's no doubt Pollard could do the same.
If Zeke decides to sit out ANY games in 2019, I think Tony Pollard could fill in just fine.
Aaron Jones ran a 4.56 forty
Pollard ran a 4.38 forty (he had food poisoning at the combine).

Pollard was a good as any college player that I've seen at catching passes in the outside area of the backfield and converting from catch to run instantly.

Some otherwise really good players take just a split second too long transitioning on those and that split second is often all it takes for an outside defender to come up and be in good position to make the tackle. Pollard is not an "average" receiver in regards to RBs.

Last edited:

fansince68

Reaction score
It's like you never saw the man ever play a game. Zeke never got his longest runs until later in the game, once he got warmed up. In contrast, Pollard gives us instant results without having to get a bunch of carries to warm up. He's not a 30 carry a game RB but he doesn't need to be.

You have mischaracterized who Pollard is if you think he can't be elusive and speedy yet run with bruising power. Pollard already doesn't, you just have your head so far up Zeke's butt that you can't possibly appreciate what Pollard can do. :muttley:
You are a quick date, Pollard has what 10 carries in preseason and wasn't the first option on his college team and you are ready to anoint him? Where is your head? Id rather hitch my wagon to a proven runner than a rook that can easily fade back to the bench. But you are correct, I am a huge Zeke fan.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
And first time he fumbles, he'll instantly become the "most overhyped" rookie.

InTheZone

Reaction score
According to the hype here I'd say he's overrated until it's proven he can do what zeke does in the regular season.

quickccc

Reaction score
I was very encouraged with what I saw with Pollard run skills – all the the scat back/space talk should be out of the window.
He has shown he has size, vision and tackle breaking power to factor as a legit ball carrier, he can run it between the tackles.
Seems he is a one cut runner with a great burst in/out of holes.
So defenses are still going to have to deal with T- Poll as a runner, and we will still maintain a potent run attack when Pollard is in the game while zeke takes a need breather.

And the Cowboys are obviously keeping the magic of his receiving skills under wraps until the opener.
It’s going to be very interesting with the way Kellen plans to design and utilize him as a both a runner and receiver.