Tony Pollard was never the Problem

blueblood70

Reaction score
Sorry bro but you're absolutely wrong here.

Let's look at the starting RBs around the league

ATL - Robinson 1st rounder
AZ - Connor 3rd rounder (#105)
Baltimore - Dobbins 2nd rounder (#55)
Buffalo - Cook 2nd rounder (#67)
Carolina - Hubbard 4th rounder (#126)
Chicago - Forman 3rd rounder (#89)
Cincy - Mixon 2nd rounder (#48)
Cleveland - Chubb 2nd rounder (#35)
Dallas - Pollard 4th rounder (#128)
Detroit - Gibbs 1st rounder
Denver - Williams 2nd rounder (#35)
Green Bay - Jones 5th rounder (#182)
Houston - Pearce 4th rounder (#107)
Indy - Taylor 1st rounder
JAX - Etienne 1st rounder
KC - Pacheco 7th rounder (#251)
LA Chargers - Ekeler UDFA
LA Rams - Freeman 3rd rounder (#71)
LV - Jacobs 1st rounder
Miami - Mostert UDFA
Minny - Mattison 3rd rounder (#102)
NYJ - Hall 2nd rounder
NYG - Barkley 1st rounder
NE Pats - Stevenson 4th rounder (#120)
NO Saints - Kamara 3rd ronder (#67)
Philthy - Swift 2nd rounder (#35)
Pitt - Harris 1st rounder
SFO - CMac 1st rounder
Seattle - Walker 2nd rounder (#41)
Titans - Henry 2nd round (#45)
Tampa - White 3rd rounder (#91)
Wash - Robinson 3rd rounder (#98)

By my count that 8 drafted in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 8 in the 3rd round. I also come up with 22 of the 32 starters drafted in the first 100 picks. In summary your statement that most starters are drafted in the late rounds is complete bunk. You owe my friend KSK an apology.
I agree we're going to need to get a guy around the third round( even late 2nd if hes a young zeke type), no later than the 4th...

gtb1943

Reaction score
SO why did we only run it 17 times?
If the running game is doing better use it.

TOP was badly the other way (37-23) and a tired defense not only makes mistakes it can more easily get injuries

8FOR!3

Reaction score
People who have never been world class athletes can never fully appreciate the amount of work and dedication to reach the level these guys spend their entire lives trying to reach. So many of us think that the guy should return to being the same player the day the stitches get taken out. It's silly. Even if the injury is 100% healed it takes months and sometimes years for the strength, flexibility and explosion to return to anywhere near what it was pre-injury. But people always act surprised about it.
Yeah look at Gallup just now starting to look like Gallup again. Agreed

blueblood70

Reaction score
Love it how everything is the offensive linemen’s faults.
No, I'm saying it's a bit of both it's 1/3 the line 1/3 the backs hitting the wrong holes and 1/3 the fact that Mike McCarthy and that offensive staff was using Tony Pollard wrong, should have used rico A LOT more in zekes old role..

Did you not think it was ironic that Ezekiel Elliott got all the blame called him fat lazy washed all this stuff but the reality and yet he actually had b2b first 8 games of the season better than TP has this years first 8, Fact!..... Reality fans see things much differently but TP needs les s15 or less and much less snaps as blocker, between the tackle and short yardage plays, thats when hes at his best. It's not a coincidence that the more ricos played the last three weeks the better Tony Pollard has looked... More of a learning process for Mike McCarthy as he keeps making adjustments from the first half of the year to now is like a huge eye opening reality for him and he's done a great job making adjustments... It's good that we're getting better as the season goes on in all phases as a team learns their weaknesses in their strengths and they're starting to play them better...

last year Pollard literally finished at 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns 51 yards per game no explosive plays whatsoever it started out this year the same way, yet Zeke got all the hate...FACTS hurt? Seems to be turnabout is fair play if zeke was a target last year making too much money for his production then Tony pollard's first eight games this year and his last five games this year that would be a what 14 game stretch where he played average...

Loso86

Reaction score
I think it was more like 80% crappy blocking and scheme and 20% Pollard coming off an injury.

Pollard was consistently getting hit at the LOS early in the season. No creativity in the run game with 80% of the runs inside the tackles.
Your entitled to your own opinion

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The ProBowl OL isn’t the problem.

He’s lost a step or three. Because of the freak injury.

No way they pay him another 10 million next season.

All of his stats are down. A lot.

He’s UFA in March.

He’s taking a pay cut or he’s signing elsewhere.
The O lines run blocking and the blocking schemes were a HUGE problem the first 6 games of the season, AND if you watched the Thanksgiving game and think Pollard has lost 1-3 steps you might have serious vision issues.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sorry bro but you're absolutely wrong here.

Let's look at the starting RBs around the league

ATL - Robinson 1st rounder
AZ - Connor 3rd rounder (#105)
Baltimore - Dobbins 2nd rounder (#55)
Buffalo - Cook 2nd rounder (#67)
Carolina - Hubbard 4th rounder (#126)
Chicago - Forman 3rd rounder (#89)
Cincy - Mixon 2nd rounder (#48)
Cleveland - Chubb 2nd rounder (#35)
Dallas - Pollard 4th rounder (#128)
Detroit - Gibbs 1st rounder
Denver - Williams 2nd rounder (#35)
Green Bay - Jones 5th rounder (#182)
Houston - Pearce 4th rounder (#107)
Indy - Taylor 1st rounder
JAX - Etienne 1st rounder
KC - Pacheco 7th rounder (#251)
LA Chargers - Ekeler UDFA
LA Rams - Freeman 3rd rounder (#71)
LV - Jacobs 1st rounder
Miami - Mostert UDFA
Minny - Mattison 3rd rounder (#102)
NYJ - Hall 2nd rounder
NYG - Barkley 1st rounder
NE Pats - Stevenson 4th rounder (#120)
NO Saints - Kamara 3rd ronder (#67)
Philthy - Swift 2nd rounder (#35)
Pitt - Harris 1st rounder
SFO - CMac 1st rounder
Seattle - Walker 2nd rounder (#41)
Titans - Henry 2nd round (#45)
Tampa - White 3rd rounder (#91)
Wash - Robinson 3rd rounder (#98)

By my count that 8 drafted in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 8 in the 3rd round. I also come up with 22 of the 32 starters drafted in the first 100 picks. In summary your statement that most starters are drafted in the late rounds is complete bunk. You owe my friend KSK an apology.

He specifically said the 1st round round. Your analysis is looking at Top 100 which is entirely different.

Even if we take your analysis at face value, with seven of 32 “starting” running backs in the league being former 1st round picks, that’s only ~21%. That doesn’t come close to being a majority.

Further, those seven 1st rounders are spread out over time dating back to 2017.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The O lines run blocking and the blocking schemes were a HUGE problem the first 6 games of the season, AND if you watched the Thanksgiving game and think Pollard has lost 1-3 steps you might have serious vision issues.

It’s like people don’t watch the game and just read the box score.

817Gill

Reaction score
He specifically said the 1st round round. Your analysis is looking at Top 100 which is entirely different.

Even if we take your analysis at face value, with seven of 32 “starting” running backs in the league being former 1st round picks, that’s only ~21%. That doesn’t come close to being a majority.

Further, those seven 1st rounders are spread out over time dating back to 2017.
Thank you for the logic

visionary

Reaction score
Wait, you think we’d be running the ball with Zeke on 3rd and 4?
I dont care about Zeke or any individual
I care that to be successful in the playoffs and to win 3-4 games against the best teams we will need to have an effective run game where the defense has to be prepared for us to pass or to run. You can bet that Philly and SF can both pass or run at 3rd and 4, we cannot with Pollard

I care about the team not the player

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Love it how everything is the offensive linemen’s faults.
I guess you didn’t watch the 1st half of the season. The run blocking and scheme was bad. Not the whole problem, but at least 80% of it. All RB’s need blocking. Early in the year the RB’s were not getting it!!!

goshan

Reaction score
I dont care about Zeke or any individual
I care that to be successful in the playoffs and to win 3-4 games against the best teams we will need to have an effective run game where the defense has to be prepared for us to pass or to run. You can bet that Philly and SF can both pass or run at 3rd and 4, we cannot with Pollard

I care about the team not the player
lol ok dude.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
as a change of pace backup!! HUGE differed more he carried it the more he was just average.

I hate to break it to you but go look at 2021 and 2022 first eight games of the year. Now go at Tony pollard's first eight games of the year virtually the same offensive line... Zeke was better pre injury.ie more tds clse to 5 YPC

last year Pollard literally finished at 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns 51 yards per game no explosive plays whatsoever it started out this year the same way...FACTS hurt?
I stand by what I said, Pollard was way more explosive than Zek last year.
Facts back me up!!!

goshan

Reaction score
first of all i said he was an average player this year as a STASRTER and you're making excuses for the guy.... he finished last year 3.8 yards per carry 51 yards per game no touchdowns...2 injuries yes average as starter the more carries the less production.,. its all in black and white.. blaming the OL is precious, Zeke never got hat excuse.

he's a lot better at under 15 carries that not stater material, THATs A GREAT LEADER OF A TRUE rbbc FACRS hurt i know but 10mil for 4.2 ypc and that him improved over the last 2 weeks was at 3.8.. sorry zeke did that on one leg. I like TP hes an average stater at best,.. yup look all over the league guys like Forman and sanders swift all making a 3rd of that in the same production wheelhouse.

Great change of pace guy but overused he's average, not to say hes bad but those are dime dozen types seriously that been said for years around here( calling Zeke washed on one leg to finish seasons with the same numbers) and its time for 3-4th rounder to be our starter next year, TP GONE
what are u talking about?