Tony Pollard was never the Problem

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lol c’mon man 8 in the first round is minuscule compared to the RB heydays. You proved my point for me much appreciated!

To go back 4-5 years and only 8 firsts rounders? That’s my point exactly. You have a much better chance finding a capable RB in rounds 2-4 than round 1. Round 1 value RB’s are so rare and you literally proved it for me right then and there. How many guys you listed are game changers, 1/2?

Really thanks for doing the research and making it clear and obvious. Half those guys have a late round pick equivalent who’s just as good. Thanks again for doing the research bud, there’s a reason Ksk shut up after my post. It’s cause he knows RB’s can be found anywhere in the draft.
This is what you said: " RB’s hardly get drafted in round 1 lol most starters are late round picks." The information I presented shows that most starters are top 100 picks. As in 22 of 32. So that would make 10 of 32 drafted after pick 100. Even more telling is that if you consider the draft to be 260 picks then the midway point would be 130. On that list only 4 were drafted past pick 130. Well two were drafted and 2 were not drafted at all. So your assertion that "most starters are late round picks" has been proven to be patently false. In fact it's 4 of 32. 12.5%? Yet you still continue to declare that you were "right?" I can't engage with that level of delusion.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
He specifically said the 1st round round. Your analysis is looking at Top 100 which is entirely different.

Even if we take your analysis at face value, with seven of 32 “starting” running backs in the league being former 1st round picks, that’s only ~21%. That doesn’t come close to being a majority.

Further, those seven 1st rounders are spread out over time dating back to 2017.
No this is what he specifically said: "RB’s hardly get drafted in round 1 lol most starters are late round picks." My analysis focused on the statement that most starters are late round picks. I never said anything about "majority." He did.. which I refuted with facts. Even if we settled that only 21% of starters are 1st rounder that almost doubles the "late round picks" percentage of 12.5. The only reason RBs don't get drafted in the first round much anymore is that their careers are too short so it's difficult to get value for the pick. You want your first round pick to be a 10 year starter at minimum. 90% of running backs don't make to ten years. Hell something like half of them don't get to year 5. We all know and recognize that young (cheap) legs is what teams want at running back. But this notion that you can just grab any 6th round schmuck and he will lead the league in rushing is BS of the highest order.

We also know that the league is making it easier and easier to pass the ball for success. But after the center and the QB the guy that touches the ball the most on offense is the running back. So acting like you don't need a good one is just stupid. Yes good ones can be had in later rounds.. But as has already been stated.. You can say that about any position. I mean the two top passers in the league right now are a 4th rounder and Mister Irrelevant. In fact the top 4 highest rated passers are Mr. Irrelevant (Purdy), a 4th rounder (Dak), a 3rd rounder (Wilson) and another 4th rounder (Cousins.) Let's hear all the hue and cry to stop drafting QBs in the first round since all these "late round picks" are outplaying them. And don't make me bring up that 6th round bum who led his teams to 7 championships at QB and who owns pretty much every passing record possible.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I think the draft cleans this up.

They need an elite RB.

Lael is finally off the cap (8.x million in 2023) and Tony is UFA.

They still have Zeke dead cap to pay (5-6 mill 2024)

But there will be $$$ to draft a RB in the 1st.
I wouldn't draft a RB in the 1st rd. Maybe 2nd through 5th rds. This team needs DT or OL first in my opinion.
We still struggle at stopping the run up the middle and some of our OL are getting older.
LB too.
I get RB is important but not as important as those other positions because finding really good OL and DL players is a lot harder and more important in the overall game.
A solid RB can look great behind a good OL. A great RB will look average behind an average OL.
LBs, CBs and Safeties will look a lot better behind a strong DL.
Great Safeties, LBs and CBs will struggle behind an average average DL.
Just look how successful the eagles are because both they invested up front.
It all starts up front.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I stand by what I said, Pollard was way more explosive than Zek last year.
Facts back me up!!!
Yes he was only more explosive when he didn't get the carries and when he wasn't making $10 million to be the number one back can't you see the difference he's not the same guy they wore him out towards the end of last year and the first eight games this year and he's just now getting a little bit of what he had back as they pull some of his snaps off him he cannot handle being #1 he is not a better number one back than zeke zeke proved it last year and the year before because his first eight games were better than pollard's last 12 being the guy...

I can't believe you sit here and can't admit that when people want to get rid of zeke cause they said he was washed well the numbers colors put up the first eight games this year and the last five last year says he's fat lazy overpaid and washed because that was the exact thing they said about zeke but zeke was carrying the ball at 4.8 yards per carry the first two halves of the last two seasons he was here he was very effective given the heavy load the blocking and all the short yardage he had 800 yards and 12 touchdowns on one leg and you can't see it no ones denying Pollard is the more explosive back but he is not the better number one back he is not that type of back and it's already been proven..
The fact that you can't see the difference is insane zekiel Elliott was very effective until he got hit in the knee and the quad his first eight games the last two years when he allegedly was lost his numbers were far superior as a number one back... I mean right now Pollard just now pulled out of the 4.2 yards per carry going into game 11 Ezekiel Elliott was at 4.8 in his first eight games of the last two seasons he was not completely washed he was very effective but everyone says overpaid correct well how is it not the same narrative with Tony Pollard it is in fact the same narrative he can't handle doing everything zeke did and still be explosive not the same Tony without zeke,.

The good thing is Rico gado has stepped up into the old Ezekiel Elliott role he's not young Ezekiel Elliott but he can do what zeke done the last two or three seasons and take the pressure off Tony and Tony can get back to being himself... I like Tony Pollard but people need to admit he can't handle all the number one duties and be the same guy he was the last two years he isn't I mean what else the proof do you need 4.2 yards per carry and what four touchdowns and 11 games for $10 million.. In fact he's becoming very average starter just like washed up Ezekiel Elliott became that's the ironic part zeke is supposed to be washed and everyone's here applauding Tony for doing the same thing making the same money..

Man the hypocrisy in here you guys don't see it I like Tony Pollard but I like him getting 13 carries a game and maybe 5 targets out in the pass game and I want Rico to get more carries get those hard blocking assignments in the short yardage and stop saying Tony can score the same amount of touchdowns inside the five that zeke could because we've already proven it can't.. The narrative around here when I think you only got those 12 touchdowns that were Pollard could have done the same thing given the chance absolutely inaccurate...

So we can both agree Tony's more explosive in the backup role he has not been as a starter effective at all except you could call him a very average starter and now the last two weeks the more carries Rico gets it has made Tony better that means Tony is clearly a number two back or he's the leader of a very small running back by committee..

75% chance Tony's not here and I would agree with the front office to let him walk... We can get that from many other running backs around the league for a lot less money....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tony Pollard looked fast, strong, and elusive today.
It really helps when the O line gives him good blocking too. Pollard has never been the problem this year!
Correct. He looked like the guy we saw last year before the injury. How much of that was Washington’s putrid defense and how much was Pollard finally recovering from the injury we will see on Thursday.

blueblood70

Reaction score
what are u talking about?
Zeke's average that's what was said zeke's overpaid fat and lazy and yet he started the last two seasons off at 4.8 yards per carry in the first eight games before he got hurt he had close to 8 to 900 yards and 12 touchdowns while hurt and people said he was washed.

and yet Tony Pollard the last five games last year he had 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns no explosive plays he started off the first eight games this year the same way Tony Pollard is not as effective being the number one guy being asked to staying in block staying in to go out and pass routes and being a decoy IE increasing his total snaps not just his carries he is not the same guy

I'm saying he is the same player a washed up zeke was, his number show it, what does he got right now 4.2 yards per carry after 11 games and only what 4 touchdowns seriously $10 million you guys think he's the same change of pace back that Z took all The Dirty work and made Tony Pollard better....

If you guys can't see that you're blind because you wanted to get rid of zeke so bad, you are convinced tonys been beter and that not true!

NO Tony Pollard the last two weeks is starting to get better why because Rico daddo is taking over the old Ezekiel Elliott roll and that's good for Tony but Tony's been very average up to this point he makes $10 million and he's only giving us 4.2 yards per carry and four touchdowns in the starter roll... He is far less effective in his new role it started last year the more he carried it the less effective he became and why the coaching staff took this long to realize they should have been using Rico and hunter a lot more as you're number one back in short yardage blocking all The Dirty work and let Tony be Tony it took them almost all season to realize it..

So for what I hope Tony plays like he did last week the rest of the year that would be great but I also know he's not gonna be here next year you for that kind of money you expect more production or you pay a lot of the guy a lot less money to do the same thing I mean it's not the narrative that was with zeke he made too much money for what he was giving this team well that's exactly what Pollard looked like his last 12 games...

Up until the last two games he has been very average it's very obvious if you can't see it you don't wanna see it...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I dont care about Zeke or any individual
I care that to be successful in the playoffs and to win 3-4 games against the best teams we will need to have an effective run game where the defense has to be prepared for us to pass or to run. You can bet that Philly and SF can both pass or run at 3rd and 4, we cannot with Pollard

I care about the team not the player

Bro, no team is running on 3rd and 4.

visionary

Reaction score
Bro, no team is running on 3rd and 4.
You know that Philly and SF would run it without a second thought

I get that youre a Pollard fan and hes a good RB, hes just limited in some respects and not close to worth his salary. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that

blueblood70

Reaction score
No this is what he specifically said: "RB’s hardly get drafted in round 1 lol most starters are late round picks." My analysis focused on the statement that most starters are late round picks. I never said anything about "majority." He did.. which I refuted with facts. Even if we settled that only 21% of starters are 1st rounder that almost doubles the "late round picks" percentage of 12.5. The only reason RBs don't get drafted in the first round much anymore is that their careers are too short so it's difficult to get value for the pick. You want your first round pick to be a 10 year starter at minimum. 90% of running backs don't make to ten years. Hell something like half of them don't get to year 5. We all know and recognize that young (cheap) legs is what teams want at running back. But this notion that you can just grab any 6th round schmuck and he will lead the league in rushing is BS of the highest order.

We also know that the league is making it easier and easier to pass the ball for success. But after the center and the QB the guy that touches the ball the most on offense is the running back. So acting like you don't need a good one is just stupid. Yes good ones can be had in later rounds.. But as has already been stated.. You can say that about any position. I mean the two top passers in the league right now are a 4th rounder and Mister Irrelevant. In fact the top 4 highest rated passers are Mr. Irrelevant (Purdy), a 4th rounder (Dak), a 3rd rounder (Wilson) and another 4th rounder (Cousins.) Let's hear all the hue and cry to stop drafting QBs in the first round since all these "late round picks" are outplaying them. And don't make me bring up that 6th round bum who led his teams to 7 championships at QB and who owns pretty much every passing record possible.
I agree they should start looking at a running back either late second round or somewhere around the third round not wait too long because it's obvious Pollard is probably not coming back... Be nice to find a guy like Kenneth Walker or something around the third round there's a lot of good running backs right now but some are a little overused in college I mean that dude with Michigan as good as he looks, I would not take him until late in the 3rd or the 4th.. he doesn't look like a guy that would play more than four years in the NFL too many surgeries too many years playing a lot of mileage but man there's some guys I've been watching the last couple weeks just absolute studs that you could probably get around the third round...

I don't remember his name but that Texas Tech running back brooks?? I watched play my Longhorns that dude's hard to bring down he's big he's quick real nice short yardage guy that could probably be just what we need around here as maybe the second running back they may need to take two in this in this draft he might be going past the fourth round..

I'm curious who you have on your list as possibilities for the Dallas Cowboys and where we might pick them at running back?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Here is what I see has to happen to dominate the Eagles. First, the passing game has to take it deep and run their safeties to death. Big plays to keep their defense keyed to the depth and full field. Then it's on the Cowboys offensive line to hold back their defensive line. They have to give him a full four seconds on pass plays. Then no excuses accepted, Dallas has to at that point carry through covering the ends on running plays and upen up holes and screens. if not, Smith and Martin are next year's guards, and a center and offensive tackle are needed this very next season.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree they should start looking at a running back either late second round or somewhere around the third round not wait too long because it's obvious Pollard is probably not coming back... Be nice to find a guy like Kenneth Walker or something around the third round there's a lot of good running backs right now but some are a little overused in college I mean that dude with Michigan as good as he looks, I would not take him until late in the 3rd or the 4th.. he doesn't look like a guy that would play more than four years in the NFL too many surgeries too many years playing a lot of mileage but man there's some guys I've been watching the last couple weeks just absolute studs that you could probably get around the third round...

I don't remember his name but that Texas Tech running back brooks?? I watched play my Longhorns that dude's hard to bring down he's big he's quick real nice short yardage guy that could probably be just what we need around here as maybe the second running back they may need to take two in this in this draft he might be going past the fourth round..

I'm curious who you have on your list as possibilities for the Dallas Cowboys and where we might pick them at running back?
I like a power runner where it is selected.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Zeke's average that's what was said zeke's overpaid fat and lazy and yet he started the last two seasons off at 4.8 yards per carry in the first eight games before he got hurt he had close to 8 to 900 yards and 12 touchdowns while hurt and people said he was washed.

and yet Tony Pollard the last five games last year he had 3.8 yards per carry no touchdowns no explosive plays he started off the first eight games this year the same way Tony Pollard is not as effective being the number one guy being asked to staying in block staying in to go out and pass routes and being a decoy IE increasing his total snaps not just his carries he is not the same guy

I'm saying he is the same player a washed up zeke was, his number show it, what does he got right now 4.2 yards per carry after 11 games and only what 4 touchdowns seriously $10 million you guys think he's the same change of pace back that Z took all The Dirty work and made Tony Pollard better....

If you guys can't see that you're blind because you wanted to get rid of zeke so bad, you are convinced tonys been beter and that not true!

NO Tony Pollard the last two weeks is starting to get better why because Rico daddo is taking over the old Ezekiel Elliott roll and that's good for Tony but Tony's been very average up to this point he makes $10 million and he's only giving us 4.2 yards per carry and four touchdowns in the starter roll... He is far less effective in his new role it started last year the more he carried it the less effective he became and why the coaching staff took this long to realize they should have been using Rico and hunter a lot more as you're numberTone back in short yardage blocking all The Dirty work and let Tony be Tony it took them almost all season to realize it..

So for what I hope Tony plays like he did last week the rest of the year that would be great but I also know he's not gonna be here next year you for that kind of money you expect more production or you pay a lot of the guy a lot less money to do the same thing I mean it's not the narrative that was with zeke he made too much money for what he was giving this team well that's exactly what Pollard looked like his last 12 games...

Up until the last two games he has been very average it's very obvious if you can't see it you don't wanna see it...
There are no excuses accepted at this point by this fan. They either get their running game strong and eating yardage and clock time...or get a new coach this very next season. Now, Jerry, no further excuses...handle it or just shut up from there. No early quarterback money without results from here on!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't draft a RB in the 1st rd. Maybe 2nd through 5th rds. This team needs DT or OL first in my opinion.
We still struggle at stopping the run up the middle and some of our OL are getting older.
LB too.
I get RB is important but not as important as those other positions because finding really good OL and DL players is a lot harder and more important in the overall game.
A solid RB can look great behind a good OL. A great RB will look average behind an average OL.
It all starts up front.
The defensive front is already deep and good. As to offensive lines, the wall was first made up of team cast offs and unknowns in the draft...similar to Smith at guard now.

blueblood70

Reaction score
LB too.
It all starts up front.
Can we stop using the Eagles as an example for anything I'm tired of it around here

let me ask you this so the Kansas City Chiefs known for running the football?

Last two times against the Eagles in the Super bowl the Eagles lost the Super bowl because their defense could not stop the run in the second-half

and if it hadn't been for a bunch of drop footballs the juice ran all over the Eagles in the last game what was it two weeks ago did you see those stats I don't know how much they had on the ground was like close to 200 yards and if it wasn't for the drop passes the Eagles lose that game again..

I get what you're saying we should build better in the trenches but you act like we're so far away from the Eagles in the trenches that like somehow they have this big hold on us now that would be the 49ers the Eagles do not scare the Cowboys they get lit up on the back end I mean easily you could beat that team if you just catch the footballs and don't have the refs not on your side yes they're really good in the trenches but they're not the blueprint for success they lost the Super bowl they can be ran on teams are losing for a variety of reasons against the Eagles Eagles are getting lucky,

I mean they had three fumbles against us and we didn't get one of them, they are not this picture perfect team I I mean you act like these are the New England Patriots about to go on this seven Super Bowl run and I don't see it at all...

So there are ways to beat the Eagles and I agree you need to be better in the trenches in the bigger games but that will be against the 49ers is the team that killed us in all three phases... And by the way we need to give mazi a little bit of time to develop oh just playing great we've got some good defensive lineman maybe we pick one I don't know but you act like this dude's a scrub and whatnot I think maybe you're missing the point maybe we need a better downhill linebacker you know get a Bobby Wagner type I mean I know they don't grow on trees neither does Fred Warner but we need one of those in the middle our linebackers in this defense was not built to stop the run they are tweeners Dan Quinn's defense is known to give up more on the run but in the end his risk taking gets us a lot of turnovers which makes up for the run game because you can't run all game playing from behind...

If we're talking about improving in the trenches I think we need a linebacker that complements our offensive line but we just took a first round nose tackle I don't think they're gonna do it again

and let's for some strange crazy reason Sweat ,you know the Texas Longhorn guy, he's about to come out falls to us and that's probably not happening I would take that dude in a heartbeat but he's probably going in the top five that's how good he is he's big he's fast he's probably gonna be one of the best defensive lineman to come out in a long time he's a nose tackle that plays like a three tech he can do it all.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Yup because your 100% accurate and you couldn't possibly be wrong because you know it all lol
I am not wrong on this because I have some football knowledge and I watch the games.
The run blocking was poor early in the season. You disagree?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I stand by what I said, Pollard was way more explosive than Zek last year.
Facts back me up!!!

Wait, we seriously have people trying to say Zeke was more explosive than Pollard last year?

We seriously are living in a bizarro world.

People think they’re unsubstantiated opinion is equal to verifiable facts.