Tony Pollard was never the Problem

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Can we stop using the Eagles as an example for anything I'm tired of it around here

let me ask you this so the Kansas City Chiefs known for running the football?

Last two times against the Eagles in the Super bowl the Eagles lost the Super bowl because their defense could not stop the run in the second-half

and if it hadn't been for a bunch of drop footballs the juice ran all over the Eagles in the last game what was it two weeks ago did you see those stats I don't know how much they had on the ground was like close to 200 yards and if it wasn't for the drop passes the Eagles lose that game again..

I get what you're saying we should build better in the trenches but you act like we're so far away from the Eagles in the trenches that like somehow they have this big hold on us now that would be the 49ers the Eagles do not scare the Cowboys they get lit up on the back end I mean easily you could beat that team if you just catch the footballs and don't have the refs not on your side yes they're really good in the trenches but they're not the blueprint for success they lost the Super bowl they can be ran on teams are losing for a variety of reasons against the Eagles Eagles are getting lucky,

I mean they had three fumbles against us and we didn't get one of them, they are not this picture perfect team I I mean you act like these are the New England Patriots about to go on this seven Super Bowl run and I don't see it at all...

So there are ways to beat the Eagles and I agree you need to be better in the trenches in the bigger games but that will be against the 49ers is the team that killed us in all three phases... And by the way we need to give mazi a little bit of time to develop oh just playing great we've got some good defensive lineman maybe we pick one I don't know but you act like this dude's a scrub and whatnot I think maybe you're missing the point maybe we need a better downhill linebacker you know get a Bobby Wagner type I mean I know they don't grow on trees neither does Fred Warner but we need one of those in the middle our linebackers in this defense was not built to stop the run they are tweeners Dan Quinn's defense is known to give up more on the run but in the end his risk taking gets us a lot of turnovers which makes up for the run game because you can't run all game playing from behind...

If we're talking about improving in the trenches I think we need a linebacker that complements our offensive line but we just took a first round nose tackle I don't think they're gonna do it again

and let's for some strange crazy reason Sweat ,you know the Texas Longhorn guy, he's about to come out falls to us and that's probably not happening I would take that dude in a heartbeat but he's probably going in the top five that's how good he is he's big he's fast he's probably gonna be one of the best defensive lineman to come out in a long time he's a nose tackle that plays like a three tech he can do it all.
We had a chance to pickup Bobby Wagner in Free agency. We had the money too! I said all along this D could be elite( 14 or less points per game ) without him, but he would have made it so much easier to be elite.
11 games into the season this D is not looking elite, but very good and opportunistic, kind of like the D in Green Bay when McCarthy won the Super Bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
We had a chance to pickup Bobby Wagner in Free agency. We had the money too! I said all along this D could be elite( 14 or less points per game ) without him, but he would have made it so much easier to be elite.
11 games into the season this D is not looking elite, but very good and opportunistic, kind of like the D in Green Bay when McCarthy won the Super Bowl.
GB had what might have been the best DT combo in the NFL at the time w/ Raji/Jenkins. Raji caused two early picks in the super bowl, one a pick 6.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wouldn't draft a RB in the 1st rd. Maybe 2nd through 5th rds. This team needs DT or OL first in my opinion.
We still struggle at stopping the run up the middle and some of our OL are getting older.
LB too.
I get RB is important but not as important as those other positions because finding really good OL and DL players is a lot harder and more important in the overall game.
A solid RB can look great behind a good OL. A great RB will look average behind an average OL.
LBs, CBs and Safeties will look a lot better behind a strong DL.
Great Safeties, LBs and CBs will struggle behind an average average DL.
Just look how successful the eagles are because both they invested up front.
It all starts up front.
Unless it's a Bijan Robinson type. He'd put us in the super bowl.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You know that Philly and SF would run it without a second thought

I get that youre a Pollard fan and hes a good RB, hes just limited in some respects and not close to worth his salary. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that
Philly might run it on 3rd and 4 because they have the Tush Push, no one can stop, but the Niners are most likely throwing the ball.

blueblood70

Reaction score
i agree and at the time i thought the front office was smart as BW had to be slowing down, older getting long in the tooth and well i was wrong.. it literally is the only free agent person that we didn't go after that was mistake IMHO. it's easy in hindsight but yes, we should have picked him up before he went to the rams and kept him.. we missed him twice!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philly might run it on 3rd and 4 because they have the Tush Push, no one can stop, but the Niners are most likely throwing the ball.
Both teams know what they can do and how to win with it.

Do we?

(just a questionnot arguing your point)

kskboys

Reaction score
No this is what he specifically said: "RB’s hardly get drafted in round 1 lol most starters are late round picks." My analysis focused on the statement that most starters are late round picks. I never said anything about "majority." He did.. which I refuted with facts. Even if we settled that only 21% of starters are 1st rounder that almost doubles the "late round picks" percentage of 12.5. The only reason RBs don't get drafted in the first round much anymore is that their careers are too short so it's difficult to get value for the pick. You want your first round pick to be a 10 year starter at minimum. 90% of running backs don't make to ten years. Hell something like half of them don't get to year 5. We all know and recognize that young (cheap) legs is what teams want at running back. But this notion that you can just grab any 6th round schmuck and he will lead the league in rushing is BS of the highest order.

We also know that the league is making it easier and easier to pass the ball for success. But after the center and the QB the guy that touches the ball the most on offense is the running back. So acting like you don't need a good one is just stupid. Yes good ones can be had in later rounds.. But as has already been stated.. You can say that about any position. I mean the two top passers in the league right now are a 4th rounder and Mister Irrelevant. In fact the top 4 highest rated passers are Mr. Irrelevant (Purdy), a 4th rounder (Dak), a 3rd rounder (Wilson) and another 4th rounder (Cousins.) Let's hear all the hue and cry to stop drafting QBs in the first round since all these "late round picks" are outplaying them. And don't make me bring up that 6th round bum who led his teams to 7 championships at QB and who owns pretty much every passing record possible.
Very well said.

It's both disturbing and amazing how so many buy into this "You can find RBs anywhere mantra." Of course that's true, since it's true for all positions. However, most good ones are taken in rounds 1-3. And in most drafts, if you really need a good one you will most likely need to go RB in rounds 1-2. The later it gets in the draft, the more questions there are about any player taken. There are reasons when a player is not taken in rounds 1-3.

This extremely inaccurate statement that "You can easily find RB's anywhere in the draft" has been disproven, has been completely blown up. And yet, people keep insisting on it. Why? It's been proven to be not true beyond any doubt, what's up w/ insisting on false thoughts? I'm seriously asking, as I don't get it.

kskboys

Reaction score
TP was never the problem but neither is he a prime RB.
Well said. The problem is playing him like a bell cow back when he obviously isn't.

Funny thing is, Polly has been soso all season, and has been terrible running up the middle. He finally has a great game, and his supporters come out in droves proclaiming him great. And why did he have a good game? Because we finally starting running him off tackle and outside, where his skillset says we need to.

IMO, this is a simple case of Jerry being extremely poor at player evaluation. He's done it many many times before. Don't forget poor Miles Austin who was beyond beastly catching short stuff and getting YAC. Soooooo, what do we do? Inexplicably started sending him on deep routes, which were his weakness. It never made any sense.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Correct. He looked like the guy we saw last year before the injury. How much of that was Washington’s putrid defense and how much was Pollard finally recovering from the injury we will see on Thursday.
Thanks.

Pollard looked excellent vs Washington on the majority of his plays, but he did get stuffed a few times due to poor blocking, bad play calls, etc.

If Pollard stays healthy ( which he is now), the coaches design good run plays, and the O line does their job, Pollard will be VERY effective the last 6 games and into the playoffs.

Remember all running backs need blocking!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Well said. The problem is playing him like a bell cow back when he obviously isn't.

Funny thing is, Polly has been soso all season, and has been terrible running up the middle. He finally has a great game, and his supporters come out in droves proclaiming him great. And why did he have a good game? Because we finally starting running him off tackle and outside, where his skillset says we need to.

IMO, this is a simple case of Jerry being extremely poor at player evaluation. He's done it many many times before. Don't forget poor Miles Austin who was beyond beastly catching short stuff and getting YAC. Soooooo, what do we do? Inexplicably started sending him on deep routes, which were his weakness. It never made any sense.
Pollard has been successful running inside the tackles when there is some blocking. Did you see his 20 yard run up the middle for a TD vs Carolina?

The first 6-7 games most of the runs were very basic plays, up the middle, with very little blocking.

If the play design improves and the blocking improves Pollard will be VERY successful!!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Scrubs.

All of them.

I think Rico will be back. He’s RFA.

DV gets cut.

Tony is UFA.

We clean this mess up with the draft.

Loso86

Reaction score
I am not wrong on this because I have some football knowledge and I watch the games.
The run blocking was poor early in the season. You disagree?
Lol ok so do u played and am a scout. Yes the run game wasn't the best but neither was Pollard. The run gaps has gotten better as the season has gone on but Pollard just had his beat game....as in 1 game where he looked like Pollard of old. So it's not all on the oline, as I've said its 50/50

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol ok so do u played and am a scout. Yes the run game wasn't the best but neither was Pollard. The run gaps has gotten better as the season has gone on but Pollard just had his beat game....as in 1 game where he looked like Pollard of old. So it's not all on the oline, as I've said its 50/50

Lol ok so do u played and am a scout.
What?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Pollard is not the same. He's had one game over 100 yards all season.
Bland has more TDs.

quickccc

Reaction score
Tony Pollard looked fast, strong, and elusive today.
It really helps when the O line gives him good blocking too. Pollard has never been the problem this year!
when I'ii see the frequent 40-50+ homerun sprint to day light .. then I will be convince he's back to form.

but the way this Tex Coast offense is blocked, scheme and designed, ..i'm doubting we'll be using his splash skills
the way he still needs to be used and exploited....

We're still trying to scheme this run game for ball control runs instead of stretch lane runs that lead to getting
runners in the 2nd level of defenders for Pollard.

Plus we simply have not developed or schemed Pollard to be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield.
But was nice to see a " rare" RB screen that resulted in a TD vs Wash.

Still a major mystery why we just do not run RB screens with the RBs and OL we have.

That being said, Rico seems to have a better feel for this Solari run scheme than Pollard.