Tony Romo a Top 40 QB of all-time as ranked by relative ANY/A

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I don't believe Tony is an all time great & most certainly not a HOF guy.

Good but not great.

I have to agree. I think he's a very good QB and easily the most underrated player in the NFL (not just QB) the past decade. But pro football has been going on for a long time. The Super Bowl era is 50 years old, and there were 20-30 years before that. There are about 40 QBs who have won Super Bowls, and you can argue that many, or most, of them have had better careers than Romo. And then there are the great QBs, like Marino, who have never won a Super Bowl. I think top 40 is being generous. Talent-wise I think Romo is easily a top 40 QB of all-time, but it's unfair to really use talent in the argue because the game has changed. Talent-wise 90% of the current NBA is better than Wilt Chamberlin. I just don't think Romo has had a top 40 career for a QB in NFL history. You have to take the whole career into account. There are 14-15 QBs in the current NFL who have had better careers than Romo, though I'd say only 5-6 of them are better QBs than Romo.

jnday

Reaction score
I don't really think it would be all that hard to come up with 50 QBs who have had better careers, to this point, then Romo but it's subjective I suppose.

This is all about stats and unfortunately, QB is not just about stats. More then anything, it's about winning to me.

For a certain number of fans, stats means everything. These fans are usually grasping for a way to defend the player. These same fans gave never played football and don't understand that stats is not the end-all in judging a player.

burmafrd

Reaction score
For a certain number of fans, stats means everything. These fans are usually grasping for a way to defend the player. These same fans gave never played football and Ron's understand that stats is not the end-all in judging a player.

in other words people like you.

or those who will always dismiss stats if it does not line up with their skewed version of reality

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't really think it would be all that hard to come up with 50 QBs who have had better careers, to this point, then Romo but it's subjective I suppose.

This is all about stats and unfortunately, QB is not just about stats. More then anything, it's about winning to me.

Except that football is a team sport.

jnday

Reaction score
in other words people like you.

or those who will always dismiss stats if it does not line up with their skewed version of reality

It is sad when stats is all you have to support your agenda. You would be much more creditable if there was multiple playoff wins and Super Bowls to add to your stats. It would be better in your case if the recent win and go to the playoffs or lose and go home games would have went the other way. You have nothing but stats though. Keep on following me around if you want, but get some new material. Your obsession is getting old.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I think hes top 40. This guy consistently puts up top 10 passing numbers in an era in which we have some of the greatest qbs in nfl history (brady, manning, rodgers, farve). Yea he doesnt have the postseason success but honestly hes had maybe 2 teams that were playoff caliber (07,09). Hes definately one of the most underrated/underappreciated players of all time.

Animosity

Reaction score
Hasn't been successful in the playoffs... YET!?

Dude.. its over for Romo. The guy hasn't been to the playoffs in 5 years, hasn't won one since. We had the chance to draft a franchise QB in Johnny Manziel, but we passed. Being a Cowboys fan is not fun.

KB1122

Reaction score
40 is a little high, but not far off. The problem is that that number isn't as good as you think.

JPostSam

Reaction score
I don't think he's the best player on the team.

I'd go with Dez on that.

physical talent -- definitely. but i don't think that's quite what they meant.

for what it's worth, witten has accomplished more relative to his position than anyone else on the team.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
It is sad when stats is all you have to support your agenda. You would be much more creditable if there was multiple playoff wins and Super Bowls to add to your stats. It would be better in your case if the recent win and go to the playoffs or lose and go home games would have went the other way. You have nothing but stats though. Keep on following me around if you want, but get some new material. Your obsession is getting old.

Lol -- the ten percenters are in for such a rude awakening when he's gone -- like putting a star on your helmet is by birth right an automatic Super Bowl win. Marino and Fouts and Anderson and Kelly and Barkley and Drexler and Ewing etc, have nothing but stats too. All Hall Of Fame losers yet Dilfer and Rypien, etc are according to guys, based on winning a ring the better players.

We all want to win on other Super Bowl but diminishing players careers if we don't It's such skewed reasoning it's almost embarrassing trying to address it. And btw - I didn't know that Romo's career is written yet.

Strap in boys because you got another three years staring you in the face unless he has a career ending injury and as Cowboy fans none of us want that to happen... Do we? Do we?

Because if you do you shouldn't even be here.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
physical talent -- definitely. but i don't think that's quite what they meant.

for what it's worth, witten has accomplished more relative to his position than anyone else on the team.

He said Romo is the best player on the team. I do understand the meaning of best. I think Dez is the best player on the current team.

Section446

Reaction score
If statistics were all that mattered, Romo would be in the top ten. I've always said it, if my goal is to win my fantasy league, give me Romo, if my goal is to win a championship... well...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Romo is a good QB. Great when you consider he was a UDFA. Cowboys "fans" who hate on Romo either don't remember the post-Aikman teams are are ignorant. I'm not looking forward to finding the next franchise QB.
Posts like this forces me to be negative. Post-Aikman? You act like we were spending 1st rounders on quarterbacks. We were looking in trash cans, nursing homes, and washed up ball parks for quarterbacks. Of course it was bad.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We had the chance to draft a franchise QB in Johnny Manziel, but we passed.
When you have a franchise QB that is a top 40 QB of all time and the contract that comes along with it, you don't draft another QB at 16. BTW, who said JF was a franchise QB?

itsaboat

Reaction score
Posts like this forces me to be negative. Post-Aikman? You act like we were spending 1st rounders on quarterbacks. We were looking in trash cans, nursing homes, and washed up ball parks for quarterbacks. Of course it was bad.

Carter was a 2nd round pick

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Like the stat of winning 1 playoff game in his entire career. Now watch him mention team since I messed up his stat debate.

Winning is not a QB stat. You've been watching too much baseball again. Rangers on a bad streak :(

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wonder where Danny White is on this list.... if were judging by stats he should be right there too.