Tony Romo best Cowboy QB of all time

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've been around long enough to have seen all the Cowboys great QB's play Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White and Aikman. I don't go by stats but by the eye test. Romo is the best of them all. Ignorant fans will say he doesn't have the rings but rings have nothing to do with how a player plays the QB position. Aikman was more accurate but he's the only QB who had anything on Romo. Romo beats him in all other aspects. Romo's got the quickest release and is a master of the game. He knows every defense out there and changes plays accordingly. The others were all great leaders some better than others but Romo has them all beat. Staubach was called Captain Comeback but that title now belongs to Romo. He's the best. He's the best Dallas Cowboy QB of all time.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Well....probably the most physically gifted, definitely the most stat decorated. Just penchant for costly errors. Never surrounded by team and coach like Staubach and Aikman were. How would Aikman and Staubach done with Romo's team/coaches and how would Romo do with their teams and coaches?

QT

Reaction score
I often thought about this. Romo with the 90s Oline, Emmitt, Irvin, and most importantly, a #1 defense with Haley, Woodson, Lett, and crew would win a superbowl or 3.

And I'm not a new fan blowing smoke. I suffered through the Peuller, Hogeboom, Kevin Sweeney, and etc qbs before Aikman.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Nope and I have seen em all except Eddie LeBarron. Staubach is still the greatest Cowboy QB, not to mention offensive player of all time. Not even debatable. They actually played defense when Roger played.

Disagree totally.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Watching Tony today reminded me of Steve Young. They're exactly alike except one's lefty and the other is a righty. Both QBs were/are extremely nifty in manuvering the pocket, moreover don't give either one too much time or they'll slice your defense in half.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I read where on the TD to Williams Tony saw something in his pre snap read and changed the play. He was hoping Williams got the change.

He did. It's almost inconceivable to think that Weeden or Cassel could or would do that and execute it. Things like that are what make the difference.

I agree that he is the most physically gifted but then I think, well, does he have the intangibles of Roger and with all the comebacks = he does, then I wonder about his leadership skills compared to Troy and while it took a while to grow into that role - I believe he does.

The one thing he hasn't had was the consistency that Don, Roger and Troy had with coaches and he has not had anywhere close to the defenses those teams had.

You don't have to agree he is the greatest but you can make the case for it.

Last edited:

RS12

Reaction score
Adjusted for eras (as it should be), Staubach gets my vote. Romo might be #2, though.

Yep most of these guys with QBRs plus 100 would be somewhere in the 70-80 range back in the day. There is no comparison, you cant breath on receivers now. In the 70's DBs could mug them. Watch some Mel Blount highlights and come talk to me.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Nope and I have seen em all except Eddie LeBarron. Staubach is still the greatest Cowboy QB, not to mention offensive player of all time. Not even debatable. They actually played defense when Roger played.

Roger is the greatest hands down!

http://i1274.***BLOCKED***/albums/y421/UltimateFF/Animated-Football/Cowboys/1t46x_zps92cc1625.gif

pro27_2.jpg