Tony Romo best Cowboy QB of all time

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I've been around long enough to have seen all the Cowboys great QB's play Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White and Aikman. I don't go by stats but by the eye test. Romo is the best of them all. Ignorant fans will say he doesn't have the rings but rings have nothing to do with how a player plays the QB position. Aikman was more accurate but he's the only QB who had anything on Romo. Romo beats him in all other aspects. Romo's got the quickest release and is a master of the game. He knows every defense out there and changes plays accordingly. The others were all great leaders some better than others but Romo has them all beat. Staubach was called Captain Comeback but that title now belongs to Romo. He's the best. He's the best Dallas Cowboy QB of all time.

Aikman half 3 Super Bowel rings. Romo half 2 career playoff wins.

DABOYZ

Reaction score
I've been around long enough to have seen all the Cowboys great QB's play Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White and Aikman. I don't go by stats but by the eye test. Romo is the best of them all. Ignorant fans will say he doesn't have the rings but rings have nothing to do with how a player plays the QB position. Aikman was more accurate but he's the only QB who had anything on Romo. Romo beats him in all other aspects. Romo's got the quickest release and is a master of the game. He knows every defense out there and changes plays accordingly. The others were all great leaders some better than others but Romo has them all beat. Staubach was called Captain Comeback but that title now belongs to Romo. He's the best. He's the best Dallas Cowboy QB of all time.

Well, ****. I guess it's not about winning Super Bowls anymore. Thank you for reminding me of that.:confused:

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

He's the greatest one I've ever seen .

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Staubach was fricken great but he didn't change plays based on the defense like Romo does. Landry wouldn't allow it.

Staubach also didn't run the clock down on every play. Romo is good but an average backup would have had this team at .500 at the very least. Even Jerry knows that.

perrykemp

Reaction score
If all you care about is regular season statistics, you may have an argument.

If playoff games, playoff victories, Super Bowl approaches, OR Super Bowl victories are part of your personal equation for evaluating how to stack all-time Cowboys QBs -- then the best you could rank is 3rd.

JS22

Reaction score
I often thought about this. Romo with the 90s Oline, Emmitt, Irvin, and most importantly, a #1 defense with Haley, Woodson, Lett, and crew would win a superbowl or 3.

And I'm not a new fan blowing smoke. I suffered through the Peuller, Hogeboom, Kevin Sweeney, and etc qbs before Aikman.

Romo on those 90's teams would have gone down as one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. I know some of the old-timers will never agree, but he is more talented and just as savvy (if not more so) as Aikman was.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
I'm about as big a Romo supporter as there ever was. He's clearly a better QB than Aikman. But Staubach was a step above when adjusting for era.

I was just about to post something very similar.

I never got to see Staubach play. I've seen every QB since about 1988 though. Romo is the best of the ones I've seen.

Adjusting for era though, stats say it's gotta be Staubach overall.

JS22

Reaction score
Aikman half 3 Super Bowel rings. Romo half 2 career playoff wins.

And?

What happens if you give Romo the reigns to arguably one of the greatest teams in NFL history? You honestly think he'd have just 2 playoff wins?

erod

Reaction score
Until he wins at least one SB, his legacy will be remembered more with the likes of Danny White than Staubach or Aikman.

Only by those who don't understand the game.

Aikman and Staubach simply couldn't made the plays Tony makes. They just had MUCH better teams.

Romo would have won the Super Bowls they won. Maybe more.

It's between Staubach and Romo. Aikman isn't in the conversation.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
The NFL has changed rules to make the game favor offensive output. QB's are protected, WR's are protected, penalties, etc. Romo and many of today's QB's have benefited from that, no question. I'm not taking anything away from Tony, because he's a good athlete and by today's standards he's a top tier NFL QB. It's a different game than what it was 20 years ago and even then it was different from the 70's. You have to look at the QB's body of work for that era and compare him to his peers.

1. Aikman
1A. Staubach
2. Danny White
3. Tony Romo

DABOYZ

Reaction score
Super Bowl is about team. This is about individual talent.

Then stop the Cowboy QB comparisons. I would much rather see a guy who has never won the big one compared to Romo...Maybe ummm Dan Marino. That would be a better argument. But Marino was one of the greatest to NEVER win the Super Bowl.

JS22

Reaction score
The NFL has changed rules to make the game favor offensive output. QB's are protected, WR's are protected, penalties, etc. Romo and many of today's QB's have benefited from that, no question. I'm not taking anything away from Tony, because he's a good athlete and by today's standards he's a top tier NFL QB. It's a different game than what it was 20 years ago and even then it was different from the 70's. You have to look at the QB's body of work for that era and compare him to his peers.

1. Aikman
1A. Staubach
2. Danny White
3. Tony Romo

Did you really just rank White above Romo?

I love Danny White, but man.

Edit: I'll admit that I only vaguely remember his last 3-4 years in the 80's. But still. I don't think there's even a comparison.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Did you really just rank White above Romo?

I love Danny White, but man.

Edit: I'll admit that I only vaguely remember his last 3-4 years in the 80's. But still. I don't think there's even a comparison.

I did. And I will every time until Romo does more than win 2 playoff games.