News: Tony Romo might return to Cowboys sooner than we think after all

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I think the uncertainty and speculation has real negative impact on the team. We need to learn from last year - the constant will he/won't he play soon discussion.

Team would be better drawing line under it all and giving both players and coaches breathing room to work without the Romo situation distracting.

He should be put on returnable IR. So the timetable is clear and everyone can get on with things. So what if he's back a game or two later than he could - he likely wouldn't be great anyway while still recovering.

With Dak and now Sanchez, we're ok at QB for a few weeks.

So if he's ready by week 4 it's still the smart thing for him to sit a few more games just so everyone can be clear on the timetable?

I want him playing when he's ready, I don't care if everyone is clear on when that return will be. Do your best to win while he's out, and get him back when he is ready. It's very simple IMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
yeah when people run around saying X or Y should retire, I think it isn't your life so why do you care so much

Everyone thought Kurt Warner should retire and he went on to Arizona and did big things. Romo's arm strength is still there and a couple of injuries doesn't mean he should retire. He can still play at a high level and if he isn't doing it for us he'll go do it for someone else.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
So if he's ready by week 4 it's still the smart thing for him to sit a few more games just so everyone can be clear on the timetable?

I want him playing when he's ready, I don't care if everyone is clear on when that return will be. Do your best to win while he's out, and get him back when he is ready. It's very simple IMO.

That will not be the reality of it though. If we start 0-2 or 0-3 then he'll be back asap. That's just the reality of it. Rest during the offseason.

jzcowboy

Reaction score
Great, im glad he is doing ok. In terms of football, horrible news as he will just run the team into the ground like he has done his ENTIRE career. It's going to be interesting after seeing Dak light it up... And then Romo comes back and starts with his customary pick 6s and boneheaded plays.
Last 9 years of Cowboys football we are 7-20 when he doesn't play. I'll take Romo every, single, time.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I know that Romo would most certainly play if he were able to, but at some point the Cowboys need to save Romo from himself. There's no reason to rush him back (like last season) and risk having him get a severe injury that effects him dramatically for the rest of his life.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Great, im glad he is doing ok. In terms of football, horrible news as he will just run the team into the ground like he has done his ENTIRE career. It's going to be interesting after seeing Dak light it up... And then Romo comes back and starts with his customary pick 6s and boneheaded plays.

Hot-Takes-Alert.jpg

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I know that Romo would most certainly play if he were able to, but at some point the Cowboys need to save Romo from himself. There's no reason to rush him back (like last season) and risk having him get a severe injury that effects him dramatically for the rest of his life.

You see all these young guys retiring because of quality of life post football. I think this is all window dressing. I'll wait for the Doctors to say he's cleared to play.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Why do I feel a repeat of last year. he comes back, gets hurt again, then done for year ad maybe career. I hope Dak makes it a moot point, but odds are not with him, even if he was preseason darling.

popp1234

Reaction score
Hope so. Not that I don't have any confidence in Dak, but Tony still gives the best shot at winning more consistently.

I agree. Not to get too much into the weeds over this, but I am very impressed with what I have seen from Dak so far. However, to think Tony Romo does not give us the best chance to go where we want to go is simply not being very objective.

dfense

Reaction score
Having Dak play at an acceptable level is a gift I would take every day. Finding a quality successor like that and to literally have him fall into your lap is a godsend. I remember the never ending string of journeymen and has-beens that haunted my late 90's to early 2000's.

However,

Don't fool yourself into thinking a rookie is not going to experience the learning curve of the NFL. If anything, a little pressure on Tony looking over his shoulder might just be what the doctor ordered. No pun intended.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Romo somehow makes it back for the Philly game, that'd be a plus.
Before then would be two full weeks earlier, before the bye, so that'd be surprising.

Christian Ponder had the same injury to the L1 and returned in two weeks. He later said maybe a week or two more would've maybe been ideal, but that he was a bit sore but good to go. He was also much younger.

Just return fully healthy for the playoff run ...don't rush him.

For his sake, having his 1st game back be against two of the best teams--GB and Cinn--seems dicey. Little leeway to shake off rust there.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
We're going to be laughed at as long as Jerry is running football operations . A little success on the field isn't going to change that . But it will makes us feel better.
Jerry has 3 rings but continueto bash every chance you get

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Let the guy sit and heal up no matter the situation IMO.

If Dak does well, more reason for them to let Tony sit and heal up.

If Dak does bad, they get another high end draft pick and Tony can still sit and heal.

Tony has given his best and his body is wearing down because of it, there was a time he was the one who had to carry this team because of their lack of drafting Offensive Line. Now they have shored that up and another QB should be able to do something. Either Dak does well and shows enough to say he is the future or they get another high draft pick and go after a Franchise QB.
you realize the organization feels the exact opposite, and if they could play Tony this Sunday they would