Video: Tony Romo's Career Highlights with the Dallas Cowboys | NFL Legends

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Heck no! He's a player first.....no way would getting in as a broadcaster ever mean more to a competitor and player like him....He was a STUD!
I think you are thinking too narrow minded based on your own biases.

If Romo somehow one day ends up among the best broadcasters ever, I think he might value that more than being just another HOF quarterback, especially one who never won a Super Bowl which will always lead some to question his HOF worthiness.

I have read hundreds of comments from fans of many teams who say they hated Romo as a player, but love him as a broadcaster. I think that's a more fulfilling legacy in the long run of life.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wonder what Romo would have done with a quality coaching staff....he was fun to watch and has my respect.

He started off with a quality coaching staff which is why he developed into a very good QB. Fans can say what they want about Parcells but he and Sean Payton groomed Romo well. Parcells brought Romo along slowly and stuck with him when he could’ve very easily cut him.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Heck no! He's a player first.....no way would getting in as a broadcaster ever mean more to a competitor and player like him....He was a STUD!

He was a player for sure, and it broke his heart with the "no catch" in Green Bay that he actually cried after the game. Another stigma that Romo got called out for was his something like, "if I don't win anything, at least I have a good life". People started saying that he was not really interested to win the SB, all the while the poor bastid was out playing with broken clavicle, punctured lung, broken back, fingers all jacked up by being stepped on. Yeah, he never accomplished his goal by winning a SB, but he was one tough hombre. And, all that with a Head coach in training, and it has been well known that he was instrumental in the game planning as well as "drawing up plays in the sand" to win a game, Holly being one of the most well known plays when Romo told him on the sidelines, this is what we are gong to do...regardless of what play was actually called. I bet if it was not for Parcells, he may have never been found out just how good of a football player he was.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Oh, some of his critics still blame him for "going Hollywood" and going to Cabo before a playoff game. I always thought that was stupid, but it may have made sense, the guy was young playing QB in the brightest spot light in town.

But, he had nothing over Chad Hutchinson. Jerry got stupid for getting rid of him.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you are thinking too narrow minded based on your own biases.

If Romo somehow one day ends up among the best broadcasters ever, I think he might value that more than being just another HOF quarterback, especially one who never won a Super Bowl which will always lead some to question his HOF worthiness.

I have read hundreds of comments from fans of many teams who say they hated Romo as a player, but love him as a broadcaster. I think that's a more fulfilling legacy in the long run of life.
He's a player....I guarantee that getting in as a player with all the hate he got would be much more satisfying. I get what you're, but I don't agree......any athlete that busted their butt like he did, would pick player before broadcaster......he worked for years to get the job as QB for America's team, broadcasting came naturally....

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Romo still has the stigma when he did not hold onto the slippery ball for the extra point or field goal, whatever it was, and that is where his "choker" label started. But, he was a wizard, for sure. Would love to have seen him in his prime with this years team.
Think of the irony.
A non-QB related, special teams play started that label of how he plays....QB.
Oh well.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He's a player....I guarantee that getting in as a player with all the hate he got would be much more satisfying. I get what you're, but I don't agree......any athlete that busted their butt like he did, would put player before broadcaster......he worked for years to get the job as QB for America's team, broadcasting came naturally....

Plus, he got pissed one evening and left Jessica Simson at a Mac Donald's and drove off...lol.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He should have never been put in that situation.....I blame that on coaching...and that's coming from an old coach. Why?????

I always forget why he went to make the hold on the snap...? Where was the holder?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's a player....I guarantee that getting in as a player with all the hate he got would be much more satisfying. I get what you're, but I don't agree......any athlete that busted their butt like he did, would put player before broadcaster......he worked for years to get the job as QB for America's team, broadcasting came naturally....
You are making a lot of assumptions based on your own experiences.

Romo had a really good career as a player but he never had any deep post-season success on the field. If he were to ever get in to the HOF as a player (which will not happen) his status would always be cheapened by that fact and he would always be considered one of the bottom tier quarterbacks in the HOF regardless of his stats.

If Romo ends up staying in broadcasting for decades and somehow ends up being considered one of the all-time broadcaster greats like Madden, I think he would value getting into the HOF as a broadcaster way more than he would as a player given what he never accomplished.

Now, if Romo had made it to a Super Bowl, I could see that mattering more on some level, but again, you are comparing Romo who is early into a broadcasting career to a full career as a player. It's easy to be biased right now because he has a long way to go to even have a chance of making it into the HOF as a broadcaster.

If decades from now though Romo is still working as a broadcaster (and that's a big IF at this point) and at that time he is considered one of the best ever broadcasters (again, a big IF at this point), I have no doubt he will value getting into the HOF as a broadcaster way more than as a player who never even made it to a conference championship game and who many would never consider worthy of being in the HOF as a player.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
He was the holder when he was a backup and they left him there when he became the starter.

Now I remember...stupid slick ball, I bet when MM was the coach he rubbed watermelon juice on the ball and that is why Romo lost the hold! It's all starting to make sense.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are making a lot of assumptions based on your own experiences.

Romo had a really good career as a player but he never had any deep post-season success on the field. If he were to ever get in to the HOF as a player (which will not happen) his status would always be cheapened by that fact and he would always be considered one of the bottom tier quarterbacks in the HOF regardless of his stats.

If Romo ends up staying in broadcasting for decades and somehow ends up being considered one of the all-time broadcaster greats like Madden, I think he would value getting into the HOF as a broadcaster way more than he would as a player.

Now, if Romo had made it to a Super Bowl, I could see that mattering more on some level, but again, you are comparing Romo who is early into a broadcasting career to a full career as a player. It's easy to be biased right now because he has a long way to go to even have a chance of making it into the HOF as a broadcaster.

If decades from now though Romo is still working as a broadcaster (and that's a big IF at this point) and at that time he is considered one of the best ever broadcasters (again, a big IF at this point), I have no doubt he will value getting into the HOF as a broadcaster way more than as a player who never even made it to a conference championship game and who many would never consider worthy of being in the HOF as a player.
I do have experiences and have dealt with many NFL players and several HOF players, so I suppose you're right......where do your assumptions come from?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Plus, he got pissed one evening and left Jessica Simson at a Mac Donald's and drove off...lol.
For a fairly low-key, stay-at-home type dude, that was a bad match from the start..
Not that I blame a young single guy for going there. She was pretty smokin' back then. I suspect most single guys would not have said no.
But he did the right thing to punt her. To much drama

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Now I remember...stupid slick ball, I bet when MM was the coach he rubbed watermelon juice on the ball and that is why Romo lost the hold! It's all starting to make sense.
NFL changed the rules after that post-season.
Visiting teams now use their own, broken-in balls vs getting scammed by the home team....who might make them use a brand new slick ball in any key specil teams moment.

But, like the Dez catch....too late to help the Cowboys from past heartache.

To his credit...and as always...Romo never, ever blamed anyone else but himself though.

I think now in the booth he drops a few zingers that hint how much he hated the play-calling under Garrett.
:laugh:
Not directly, but he'll go on and on about how nice it is to have creative playcalling to give your team its best chance.
Those thinking he and JG for buddies somehow are WAY off.
He and Garrett had an internal war going on toward the end that Garrett tried to patch up by inviting him to basketball games. Romo wouldn't go unless he could take some buddies---usually Murray and Witten. Then he still changed the pays at the line of scrimmage...lol