Video: Tony Romo's Career Highlights with the Dallas Cowboys | NFL Legends

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
~Knows boss means well but keeps handy dandy moderator tool close for possible episodes of faux dyslexia~

banned-ban-hammer.gif

Zman5

Reaction score
I was at the camp in his rookie year. They way he threw the ball, I said to myself "why is this guy even here". Amazing how he willed himself in to the player he became.
That's why I don't buy into that theory you can't make yourself more accurate. He was turrible in his rookie year.

Motorola

Reaction score
This is NOT a Dak Prescott bashing thread!

I posted this because I wanted to remind people how lucky the Cowboys were to have Romo even though his stats and performances were wasted here.

Now the Cowboys have found Dak Prescott who will likely top everything Romo ever did and the Cowboys still have not gotten anywhere near the Super Bowl, at least not yet.

My point in posting this was not about Romo versus Dak at all, but rather a reminder how fortunate the Cowboys and we fans have been knowing that every week, no matter the score early on, the Cowboys have had a chance to win most games because of these two great quarterbacks.

Stop focusing on the hate and start enjoying the journey!
Waiting for your posts about "Dandy Don" (his playing career); "Roger The Dodger"; and "Iceman" - (someone conjured up this nickname for #8....glad it didn't catch on.)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think you are thinking too narrow minded based on your own biases.

If Romo somehow one day ends up among the best broadcasters ever, I think he might value that more than being just another HOF quarterback, especially one who never won a Super Bowl which will always lead some to question his HOF worthiness.

I have read hundreds of comments from fans of many teams who say they hated Romo as a player, but love him as a broadcaster. I think that's a more fulfilling legacy in the long run of life.
I don't know. Romo's a sports competitor, whether it's football, golf, or basketball. I'm sure he'd appreciate being in the Broadcasters HoF, but you can bet he's always dreamed of being in Canton.

Motorola

Reaction score
He started off with a quality coaching staff which is why he developed into a very good QB. Fans can say what they want about Parcells but he and Sean Payton groomed Romo well. Parcells brought Romo along slowly and stuck with him when he could’ve very easily cut him.
Romo would have been cut during the 2004 preseason if Quincy Cartier had not failed his THIRD drug test.
During that off-season, the Cowboys traded for Drew Henson and signed Vinny Testaverde to compete for the starting QB position. Carter performed well enough to keep the spot...Testaverde and Henson would have been the backup QBs - and Romo would have been shown the door.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know how many times throughout his career Romo brought the team back in the 4th to tie or take the lead only to end up losing the game thanks to the Defense giving the game away. I seem to remember it happening often.

I remember the 500 & 5 game vs the broncos... Amazing game but he always got trashed for throwing the int in the 4th and "choking again". Beurlein even made a comment like "I e never seen a QB throw more 4th quarter int's" which was funny because he himself had thrown more 4th quarter int's.

What no one ever mentions about that int is how his center got driven backwards and Romo ended up stepping on his foot when he threw the ball and how the rg got beat and the dt tapped his elbow as he released the ball.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo would have been cut during the 2004 preseason if Quincy Cartier had not failed his THIRD drug test.
During that off-season, the Cowboys traded for Drew Henson and signed Vinny Testaverde to compete for the starting QB position. Carter performed well enough to keep the spot...Testaverde and Henson would have been the backup QBs - and Romo would have been shown the door.

It’s possible he would have been cut had we kept Carter.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Then it would've been off to Denver, where Shannahan wanted him. Ride the pine and develop awhile there too...lol
Then when Payton went to New Orleans, possibly that's his next stop.
Different story for sure.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know how many times throughout his career Romo brought the team back in the 4th to tie or take the lead only to end up losing the game thanks to the Defense giving the game away. I seem to remember it happening often.

I remember the 500 & 5 game vs the broncos... Amazing game but he always got trashed for throwing the int in the 4th and "choking again". Beurlein even made a comment like "I e never seen a QB throw more 4th quarter int's" which was funny because he himself had thrown more 4th quarter int's.

What no one ever mentions about that int is how his center got driven backwards and Romo ended up stepping on his foot when he threw the ball and how the rg got beat and the dt tapped his elbow as he released the ball.
Yeah, I think (not knowing the outcome of the game) all QBs will take 47 points, 500 yards, and a plus 4 TD-turnover difference. That's dream-level QB play. You assume 100% of the time you win that game.

But fate stepped in. And player stepped on his foot while making pass.
The dude had some bad luck at times.
Plus the diving interception was one of the defensive plays of the year

RomoPickstagram_crop_north.jpg

pansophy

Reaction score
I really like Romo, but, I doubt he will ever make the HOF. He's one of them fortunate players that had great success, but never accomplished anything and really unlucky at the same time while on the field. It would be cool if he was in the HOF, but.....?
You are likely correct. I can dream though. We’ll see if he gets any votes at all.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's a shame what happened, happened. Botched snap, Giants debacle, TO problems, Cabo, and so on.... People forget how many times he fumbled the ball early on, his playoff struggles and was just too high in turnovers period.

I feel like there should have been a Super Bowl in there somewhere. Romo and the teams were good enough. Probably when we had TO or later on with that dominant OLine but by then Romo's body was calling it quits.

Romo reminds me of my little brother. He never came across like Aikman, Staubach, or even Dak, who you know command the room.

Appreciate all the guy did, respect what he played through with injuries, and yes, he could make a game fun to watch the same as Captain Comeback. I hope Dak ends up with a ring though and we're not doing the same for him 15 years later.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
He started off with a quality coaching staff which is why he developed into a very good QB. Fans can say what they want about Parcells but he and Sean Payton groomed Romo well. Parcells brought Romo along slowly and stuck with him when he could’ve very easily cut him.

There is a branch in the multiverse were Payton ends up the HC in Dallas and Romo wins a SB.

What might have been.

skinsscalper

Reaction score

I read somewhere that no QB in the history of the league has left the field with the lead and lost the game more times than Tony Romo. I have no idea if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I started watching the Cowboys in 1980. I was fortunate enough to witness the greatness of the 90s. To this day Tony Romo is my favorite Cowboys player. I've said it before and I'll say it again. No player in the history of this team did more to overcome the overall ineptitude of this franchise. He helped keep us competitive through woeful coaching, an inept front office and defense after defense that let this team down.

Don't get me wrong. He didn't play with scrubs but Jerry and Co. never put a complete team around him. He had HOF players like Ware, Witten and T.O. but never really a complete team. I've never been so pissed off than when I heard Jerry say that he didn't really need to invest in O-line because of Romo's escapability. It cost that guy his health eventually and any real shot at a championship.

With that being said, I'm glad Jerry finally saw the light and hope Dak brings home what Jerry never set Tony up to do.

chagus

Reaction score
I read somewhere that no QB in the history of the league has left the field with the lead and lost the game more times than Tony Romo. I have no idea if it's true but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I started watching the Cowboys in 1980. I was fortunate enough to witness the greatness of the 90s. To this day Tony Romo is my favorite Cowboys player. I've said it before and I'll say it again. No player in the history of this team did more to overcome the overall ineptitude of this franchise. He helped keep us competitive through woeful coaching, an inept front office and defense after defense that let this team down.

Don't get me wrong. He didn't play with scrubs but Jerry and Co. never put a complete team around him. He had HOF players like Ware, Witten and T.O. but never really a complete team. I've never been so pissed off than when I heard Jerry say that he didn't really need to invest in O-line because of Romo's escapability. It cost that guy his health eventually and any real shot at a championship.

With that being said, I'm glad Jerry finally saw the light and hope Dak brings home what Jerry never set Tony up to do.

Very well said.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, don't bump old posts, but, now that I think about it, it was Romo's fault for letting Garrett stick around for the time he was here!

Had I known that before he became the starter, I would have wished Romo would have got cut then the Ginger would not have wasted all of out time with him. Stupid, stupid Romo!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Romo was under appreciated much like Merideth was and then after announcing gained more popularity and respect.

He was banged up being on an expansion team but still led us to our first 2 NFL title games but retired early cause of injuries and criticism.

And he’s our only QB in ROH without winning championship which I think Romo will join him.

After listening to Romo’s instincts and insight calling the games he might be missing a bigger calling in coaching.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo was beat to hell in his early career. The guy gave 100% all the time. By the time the Cowboys drafted an excellent OL, it was too late.

Go Cowboys