Too early to bury Mazi

RonWashington

Reaction score
It’s a what have you done for me lately fan base and I understand a first round pick is a first round pick . OSA even though he was a 3rd rounder I seem to remember a ton of complaints about him his rookie season . Bye week good time get the legs back hit the weights come back strong . How did Davis the mammoth tackle do his rookie yr in Philly .

The Chargers could not run the ball Monday night forcing a banged up QB to sling it around that space ship in LA . Kellen Moore inside the two wasn’t it has the QB get a 4th down pass knocked down by Bland in the end zone . That was a running play situation .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s a what have you done for me lately fan base and I understand a first round pick is a first round pick . OSA even though he was a 3rd rounder I seem to remember a ton of complaints about him his rookie season . Bye week good time get the legs back hit the weights come back strong . How did Davis the mammoth tackle do his rookie yr in Philly .

The Chargers could not run the ball Monday night forcing a banged up QB to sling it around that space ship in LA . Kellen Moore inside the two wasn’t it has the QB get a 4th down pass knocked down by Bland in the end zone . That was a running play situation .
Osa started off real good his rookie year then disappeared. He had a couple of sacks in his first four games. The only complaints were that it appeared he wore down as the season went on. He wasn’t making the plays later in the season that he did earlier in the season.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
He was portrayed and predicted to be difference maker this year on this board, and Sam Williams was predicted to be a Pro Bowler. Neither of these things have happened. Of course I don't expect Mazi to be a Pro Bowler in his first year, but I did think he'd be somewhat of a difference maker, and so far.... zilch contribution.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I don’t think most people buried him but most people are going to have input about his production as a first rounder

RonWashington

Reaction score
The run D wasn’t wasn’t an issue MNF . Smith had more snaps than I seem to remember earlier in the yr. Against DC and Philly stopping the run will be important .

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
Just hate how slow he is getting off the ball still hoping he can turn it around tho hes still young.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The thing that always strikes me about these rookies when I see them in person at training camp is they are just kids! So young...

-and it's tough in the trenches, going against grown men who have had several additional years in the weight room. There's a big difference between a 20 year old and a 25 year old lineman in the NFL.

Some positions are easier than others for a rookie to make an impact. I'm looking forward to seeing him after a year or two.

exciter

Reaction score
He was portrayed and predicted to be difference maker this year on this board, and Sam Williams was predicted to be a Pro Bowler. Neither of these things have happened. Of course I don't expect Mazi to be a Pro Bowler in his first year, but I did think he'd be somewhat of a difference maker, and so far.... zilch contribution.
And people on this board thought Tolbert coming out of spread offense in the Sunbelt league was going to come in and make an immediate difference. Don’t know how many times it’s been said by coaches and GMs leading up to the draft but you draft for 4 years not 1…. And yet it don’t sink in!

Rayman70

Reaction score

Mazi was actually decent in SD. The kid will be fine, I agree. We fans need 2 be patient. It takes time with a tackle. In 2 years, I think we might have a special DT with him. Im willing 2 wait.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BTW, where was the great Kellen Moore and his high flying passing attack? Dak and MM actually outperformed them. As much as fans wanna bag on MM and Dak for lack of style, we got it done and the stats show it. That was with a terrible line protecting Dak.. Tyler Biadiazz was the lone guy that had a decent night. Even Zack Martin had issues. I think he has a bum ankle still.

RonWashington

Reaction score
And people on this board thought Tolbert coming out of spread offense in the Sunbelt league was going to come in and make an immediate difference. Don’t know how many times it’s been said by coaches and GMs leading up to the draft but you draft for 4 years not 1…. And yet it don’t sink in!

But if 4 years go by the rookie deal is gone . At some point the light bulb has to come on . I’m surprised when Cooks and or Gallup take a play off on the sideline Tolbert is non existent .

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't bury Mazi at anytime during his rookie season. His athletic traits are excellent. He will develop quite nicely.
Nobody should "bury Mazi"

But we don't have to stick our head in the sand either.

Half of 1st rounders are busts. If you HAD to "bet the mortgage" on whether Mazi will ultimately be a bust or a success....knowing that it was 50% at best before the season...which way would you go at this point?

Hmmmmm

Hardline

Reaction score
Nobody should "bury Mazi"

But we don't have to stick our head in the sand either.

Half of 1st rounders are busts. If you HAD to "bet the mortgage" on whether Mazi will ultimately be a bust or a success....knowing that it was 50% at best before the season...which way would you go at this point?

Hmmmmm
Ill point after his third year, The Landry method.

Shane612

Reaction score
Yeah. You don't give on your first round pick; that's a given. However, when you have to make excuses for him so often it doesn't bode well. Not to mention he doesn't really play all that much.
You'd hope that, even if he doesn't standout, your first round pick shows some sort of sign, flash of things to come.