Too many holes on OL and Defense to pay Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
how would I know?

you are asking questions that the response is only an assumption. do what ever assumption that fits your spin

what are you getting at? what are you trying to spin?

Ill take it as $30m, $35m and $50m.

I assure you i'm not spinning anything, i'm trying to identify the weaknesses and hardships of the 3 year deal.

As I keep telling you, im fine with a longer contract, but a 3 year deal just doent give us the flexibility to improve the Defense and fill in some of the holes with better FA's than the dumpster: Griffin, Poe, Worley and Clinton-Dix we did this year.

Im just checking the possible restructuring and financial positionas it stands.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It’s going down, the nfl is losing a ton of revenue because they can’t have fans in the stadiums. The owners and the players actually made an agreement that it can’t go below $175 million. That is about a $24 million reduction from this year.
Fans in the stadiums has nothing to do with NFL revenue. It just about pays the electric bill. It’s commercials beer commercials that pays TV and players salaries

starfan1

Reaction score
I am a huge Dak fan but if I were cowboys because of injury Id consider franchising again. If he responds well its going to cost you in 2022 but Id hate to go 40 mil and his leg not respond.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He is a bus driver who puts up a lot of yrds and points in garbage time. Hes really nothing special. You guys act like he is Mahomes or something.
Its been said already too many times, but nobody thinks with a rational mind anymore.
Jerry has conditioned his followers by writing very large checks, and they believe in this concept.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So based on a DAK 3 year contract: $30, $35m and $50m

Basing CAP on (OVERTHECAP.Com estimates): $176m (2021), $227m (2022) and $241m (2023)

Carry over $24m from 2020 and Effective Cap Space $20m (that inc Poe/Crawford release) = $44m

Dak contract = ($30m)
- $14m
Draft picks (based on 2 players over basic pay and us picking top 5) = ($6m)
$
8m Under Cap

Offense looks good (Badass and Connor Williams playing Guard).

Defense would look like:

DE - Lawrence
DE - Gregory
T - Gallimore
T - Draft Pick 1st round
LB - LVE
LB - Jaylon
LB - Gifford
Safety - Darian Thompson /
2nd round
Safety - Donovan Wilson
CB - Anthony Brown
CB - Diggs

Possible restructuring

1) Martin/Collins/ T Smith - yes, but of those, two have had season ending surgery.

Cannot restructure

Lawrence - just making an awful contract even worse - atm we only save $8m if we cut him in 2022, this reduces again if we restructure.

Probably wouldnt restructure

1) Cooper/Zeke - cut them in 2022/23....unfortunately extending Gallup and Pollard would use most (admittedly not all) of the saving.

2) Jaylon - similar issue (without the in house cover), we could release him in 2022, but that only saves $5m, and we wont get much in the way of a LB for that.

Id say it's doable, but that Defense still looks dreadful and we have NO cover at all.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
a 3 year deal would have been around $110-115......and allow Dak to hit FA in 2022 (as I have explained).....along with other QB in wentz, goff, wilson.

now, after the franchise tag, there is no 3 year deal at that price, as the price after 2022 will go up significantly with the expected rise in QB salaries

and what would your 5 year suggestion be?

My 5 year deal suggestion is something like $171 - 5 years.

1) For that period its $9m lower than Mahomes, $8m more than Watson.
2) Guaranteed a signing bonus higher than Mahomes $63m and Watson's $76m.
3) Cap structure, roughly

2021 - $16m
2022 - $25m
2023 - $40m
2024 - $45m
2025 - $45m

Proof

Reaction score
no, Jones wanted a 5 year deal. Dak's initial counter was for a 3 year deal. the 4 year deal came about, as the middle ground for both, with last year being $45M. Jones insisted on a 5 year deal, where he had no leverage.

nah. That’s completely incorrect

Proof

Reaction score
We can pay him $45m in 5th year, but he needs to be paid lower in years 2021/2022 (in region of $25m).

If we tag Dak his CAP contract is NOT manageable.

yeah. Again I’m not discussing the merit, or possibility. Just that it was fairly obvious Dak asked for an (at the time) absurd number so to enforce he wanted a shorter deal. Or I guess on the off chance the agreed

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
My 5 year deal suggestion is something like $171 - 5 years.

1) For that period its $9m lower than Mahomes, $8m more than Watson.
2) Guaranteed a signing bonus higher than Mahomes $63m and Watson's $76m.
3) Cap structure, roughly

2021 - $16m
2022 - $25m
2023 - $40m
2024 - $45m
2025 - $45m
its too late.....Dak held the leverage, and still does. next year, on franchise tag which is a possibility its 38M. he should have even taken the 4 year counter from Dak's agent. he didn't.

we are now to a point, where we either pay him 38M, or an offer he will accept, or a really large contract above what was discussed last year or we lose him and go back to square one.

if I were Dak, I would not sign a deal with Dallas and this mess of a team. there will be plenty of other teams willing to pay for him and work with him. why would I want to come back to dallas and deal with this mess

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If JJ wont do it (and I agree with you he wont)...that kind of suggests its the right thing to do.

His whole strategy is based on players accepting long term contracts, with limited guaranteed money at the end which can be restructured through the years.......then Dak says no, I want a 4 year max contract. which just threw out ALL of JJ's plans.

1) Your premise that we need to get a QB that's as good as Dak infers that we are going to compete in the short term - NOT HAPPENING.
2) We MAY be able to compete after a number of years....PROVIDED DAK TAKES A LONG TERM DEAL. where we can defer the majority of the money to years 4 and 5. That will give us time to draft and run down the existing poor contracts. My preferred option.
3) There are two ways to approach the draft (if Dak hasnt signed by then) .....but from your post above I doubt you'd understand the subtitles.
And why cant we compete in the short term? Best offense in the NFL prior to injuries, yes our D is as porous as a screen door on a submarine but we could score points, without injuries we are likely 5-2 or 4-3 right now, again simple: Bring Dak Back, dump some free loaders and beef up our D in the draft and FA and we are ready to compete at a higher level that what we started this year. Why in the world would we throw all that away to start over, it simply makes no sense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And why cant we compete in the short term? Best offense in the NFL prior to injuries, yes our D is as porous as a screen door on a submarine but we could score points, without injuries we are likely 5-2 or 4-3 right now, again simple: Bring Dak Back, dump some free loaders and beef up our D in the draft and FA and we are ready to compete at a higher level that what we started this year. Why in the world would we throw all that away to start over, it simply makes no sense.

It makes sense when your underlying goal is to get rid of Dak Prescott at any cost. Apparently some people would rather watch the team suck with a QB more to their liking than to have it be competitive with Dak. And heaven forbid it make a deep playoff run with Dak. That would induce mass suicide for the Dak haters. All the more reason to root for it to happen.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It makes sense when your underlying goal is to get rid of Dak Prescott at any cost. Apparently some people would rather watch the team suck with a QB more to their liking than to have it be competitive with Dak. And heaven forbid it make a deep playoff run with Dak. That would induce mass suicide for the Dak haters. All the more reason to root for it to happen.

As @cityochamps was responding to my post I hope your comments werent directed at me?

If so I suggest you actually read the thread.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Try reading and open your mind to more than just pay Dak whatever he wants.

As a response to what a 3 year contract that @CowboysFaninHouston said was reasonable ive written a reasoned outlook, which addresses some of your generic comments which are easily written but arent as easy to execute eg "dump some free loaders"

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
its too late.....Dak held the leverage, and still does. next year, on franchise tag which is a possibility its 38M. he should have even taken the 4 year counter from Dak's agent. he didn't.

we are now to a point, where we either pay him 38M, or an offer he will accept, or a really large contract above what was discussed last year or we lose him and go back to square one.

if I were Dak, I would not sign a deal with Dallas and this mess of a team. there will be plenty of other teams willing to pay for him and work with him. why would I want to come back to dallas and deal with this mess

Stick to your argument. You're all over the place.

You said, Dak would take 3 years - $115, now you're saying pay him $38m.

You are aware that the money he receives in year 1 is different from Cap allocation? Signing bonus' is given and spread over the term of the contract for CAP purposes.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
As @cityochamps was responding to my post I hope your comments werent directed at me?

If so I suggest you actually read the thread.

Only the hit dawg holla, brotha. If the "I want Dak gone" rock didn't hit you then no need to holla. They know who they are..

It would not be rational for the Cowboys to sign Dak to anything short of a 5 year deal. There would likewise be no logical reason for Dak to turn down like an 80 million dollar signing bonus just to get to some imaginary "highest paid player.." yadda yadda yadda milestone. Money talks. The cap rules will allow that 80 million to be spread over 5 years so 16 million a year.. If they then take the remaining 120 million (assuming a 200 million dollar total) and escalate the base salary over it.. Start it at say 10 million the first year to make his 2021 cap hit 26 million.. then go up to 20 million in 2022 (cap hit 36 million) then 25 million in 2023 (cap hit 41 million) then 30 million in 2024 (cap hit 51 million) then finally 35 million (cap hit 56 million) .. in the last year.. Obviously they might choose to divy up the pie differently depending on what they need but the bottom line is it's doable and it provides significant saving against the cap in the first two years.. Allowing sufficient flexibility to bolster the defense. You guarantee those first three years to bring the guaranteed money to 135 mil.. If Dak falls on his face you make him a June 1 cut in 2024 and eat the remaining dead money over the next two seasons. And if he continues his demonstrated rate of improvement, you extend him again and push that can 3-4 years further down the road.

It can be done.. it has been done.. we just need to pull the trigger and quit screwing around with the most important and most difficult to replace player on the roster.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Stick to your argument. You're all over the place.

You said, Dak would take 3 years - $115, now you're saying pay him $38m.

You are aware that the money he receives in year 1 is different from Cap allocation? Signing bonus' is given and spread over the term of the contract for CAP purposes.
what argument? what are you even arguing? you are confusing yourself.....

I said, Dak would make $38M in second franchise tag

and a 3 year 115M contract

all of this is HYPOTHETICAL and you are arguing a point that WILL NEVER HAPPEN, since 2020 is already water under the bridge and dak has a 31M contract for one year.

you have gone around a circle now 5 times and seems like you are getting dizzy...

I am well aware on how the contracts, bonuses, cap hits work....

dude, I think you are arguing with yourself at this point. and you are losing the argument