Too many holes on OL and Defense to pay Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
look again, you act like "just draft another one" is what everyone does..its not, if you have a good QB then you build a team around him and manage your cap to keep a good QB....obviously me and JJ are not thinking alike I would've signed Dak 2 years ago...not set the market on an RB 2 years early......now your just being silly...but again i'm sure your one of those "any QB could be good in this offense" well here we are and NO THEY ARE NOT! face it we have a top 5 QB you don't have to like him but saying he is not is just not a fact....

Unfortunately for Dak, his 2018 figures were particularly average....im assuming the subsequent offer was lower than he would sign for.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
uhh what? I said nothing of the sort. They’re clearly not the same unit. But our skill positions are far far better, so having the same line shouldn’t be a priority. Defense should.

I have said repeatedly that the defense needs a lot of help but if the Cowboys have the best receiver corp in the league but the QB has to run and scramble for his life it won't matter nor if a running game can't be established on a regular basis it won't matter either. The starters for this season on the line were not anywhere close to being the line from 2016 when the Cowboys did have the best line. To completely ignore the line will be doing what the Cowboys have done by ignoring the defense. I'm not saying it's going to easy and it WILL NOT be accomplished in just one draft and off season so those that think by just investing in the defense that all the problems will be solved are just fooling themselves

Proof

Reaction score
I have said repeatedly that the defense needs a lot of help but if the Cowboys have the best receiver corp in the league but the QB has to run and scramble for his life it won't matter nor if a running game can't be established on a regular basis it won't matter either. The starters for this season on the line were not anywhere close to being the line from 2016 when the Cowboys did have the best line. To completely ignore the line will be doing what the Cowboys have done by ignoring the defense. I'm not saying it's going to easy and it WILL NOT be accomplished in just one draft and off season so those that think by just investing in the defense that all the problems will be solved are just fooling themselves

I don’t agree whatsoever. But don’t feel passionate enough to argue with you

movaughn88

Reaction score
We got him with the #1 pick in the draft. We may very well have that this year.

If we got the #1 pick and took Lawrence, then franchised and traded Dak's rights for a #1 pick plus others, then I wouldn't be able to argue with that risk.

However, I do not think we will be picking top 3, more like in the 5-10 range. Too many games against our awful division and I see something like 4-12.

Therefore you sign Dak and build the team around him. A 2016 bounce-back season in 2021 is possible with this division.

Edit: I will also add, wouldn't we like to see DiNucci do a LITTLE something and win a handful of games? I think that's worth something to the team going forward.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Im getting at what you actually think we can afford, because I dont think you appreciate the CAP issues in 2021 and 2022. You still maintain the thought we can afford a 3 year deal.

So how much money would you pay in a 3 year deal?
oh, no I fully understand the caps in 21, 22. but that goes for everyone and every team in the league. its not just a cowboys problem.

and a 3 year or 4 or 5 year deal actually could be beneficial to cowboys, as opposed to another tag, depending on bonus, and salary structure, which would help reduce the hit for 21. on the other hand, league rules would have a salary of 38M for Dak at second tag. or the other option is to let Dak walk and get a 3rd round pick and spend years trying to find the next QB.....its all options on the table. the question is which one is the best option.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If we got the #1 pick and took Lawrence, then franchised and traded Dak's rights for a #1 pick plus others, then I wouldn't be able to argue with that risk.

However, I do not think we will be picking top 3, more like in the 5-10 range. Too many games against our awful division and I see something like 4-12.

Therefore you sign Dak and build the team around him. A 2016 bounce-back season in 2021 is possible with this division.

Edit: I will also add, wouldn't we like to see DiNucci do a LITTLE something and win a handful of games? I think that's worth something to the team going forward.

If he were available we'd draft Lawrence, (non exclusive tag) Dak and see what's the best package we can get.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
oh, no I fully understand the caps in 21, 22. but that goes for everyone and every team in the league. its not just a cowboys problem.

and a 3 year or 4 or 5 year deal actually could be beneficial to cowboys, as opposed to another tag, depending on bonus, and salary structure, which would help reduce the hit for 21. on the other hand, league rules would have a salary of 38M for Dak at second tag. or the other option is to let Dak walk and get a 3rd round pick and spend years trying to find the next QB.....its all options on the table. the question is which one is the best option.

Stop waffling just give an answer, how much would you offer for a 3 year contract.....(a realistic figure that Dak would accept).

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Stop waffling just give an answer, how much would you offer for a 3 year contract.....(a realistic figure that Dak would accept).
what difference does that make?

I asked you a question a few responses ago..

what's your point? or if you don't have any just I don't.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
thats a pipe dream. Tyron has missed games in the last 3 years he is on the downward decline and needs replaced immediately, Martin maybe and well see on Collins. I believe the cowboys definitely need a LT unless they believe that Williams can pop out. McGovern is a question mark but Guard is also a position to be concerned with.

Its not as concerning with defensive side of the ball but a concern nonetheless.

Maybe taking a year off with do Tyron's body some good, he is still fairly young. Gotta have a decent swing tackle though.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
what difference does that make?

I asked you a question a few responses ago..

what's your point? or if you don't have any just I don't.

I'm asking because im interested in how you think a 3 year contract would be good for us (or even achievable).

I'd just like to see what a 3 year contract would look like.....you keep barking on when someone says we can's afford it, so here's your chance to explain.

It looks like you're hoping someone comes to your rescue.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I'm asking because im interested in how you think a 3 year contract would be good for us (or even achievable).

I'd just like to see what a 3 year contract would look like.....you keep barking on when someone says we can's afford it, so here's your chance to explain.

It looks like you're hoping someone comes to your rescue.
so you been asking me,

what's your idea? what do you think we should do? come up with solutions.....viable one

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.
The team only has 27 Mil. to sign 14 players (Daks one of them) plus the practice squad players. They've done restructured about every high-priced player's salary just to create that 27 mil next year. Daks demanding 45 mil per yr.
Dak is done in Big D!

Proof

Reaction score
The team only has 27 Mil. to sign 14 players (Daks one of them) plus the practice squad players. They've done restructured about every high-priced player's salary just to create that 27 mil next year. Daks demanding 45 mil per yr.
Dak is done in Big D!

Dak “demanded” 45 mil for a fifth year. It was effectively saying I don’t want a five year deal. Whatever he ultimately signs for, his actual cap hit next year will be highly manageable.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak “demanded” 45 mil for a fifth year. It was effectively saying I don’t want a five year deal. Whatever he ultimately signs for, his actual cap hit next year will be highly manageable.
GL with this fantasy....and you know what the cap is probably dropping.
But enjoy your Dak world HF......

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.

This team has a ton of issues, starting with a GM who has fancied Quincy Carter, Johnny Manziel, Paxton Lynch, and Connor Cook at the QB position.

He fell into Romo and Dak, but I'm sure he'll nail it this time. :muttley:

Skillit

Reaction score
The premise of your statement is that money spent equals performance on their field......so- if we spend a ton of money, we’ll be good everywhere but QB.

That’s not true and you don’t need me to tell you that. Key pieces in key positions set the rest of the team up for success. That- and actually get a competitive coaching staff.

I think the hardest thing is to have two / three good drafts in a row where you get 2-3 starters / important role players every year that augment what you are doing with your established stars.

That gives you 6-10 players on rookie deals making impacts on your team. You can still have your marquee QB, LT, DE, DT and CB.....maybe a WR in there. If you have decent / good everywhere else— you’re competitive at a reasonable rate.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I miss him...I really do! Oh, Dak...why, just why did you let us down! Your the best...no other man can take your place...please get up.
Common man, what was this franchise before Dak?
I mean in 4 years the glory we have achieved with Prescott at the wheel is a once in a football life experience!
Beating only dog team OMG losing to good teams!!!
Having only 1 playoff win with probably the best offensive roster in the NFL with a top 10 defense I might add!
Give Dak any amount he wants 40 mil 50mil heck give him the ownership papers of the franchise!!!!
We are NOTHING without PRESCOTT ....ZERO....Dak we love you...we worship you.....Dak first then the Star!!!!
tenor.gif

DanA

Reaction score
If we can get pick 2 (big if) we could afford to keep Dak. Fields/Lawrence are two class looking QB’s and looking at what Wentz cost in terms of picks we could do a lot to rebuild the defense if we traded away.

Hypothetically, we could end up with 3 x 1st round picks with one being top 10. Add to that an early 2nd and 3rd and we could be looking at an entirely new looking defense built in one draft.

Proof

Reaction score
GL with this fantasy....and you know what the cap is probably dropping.
But enjoy your Dak world HF......

no fantasy. He’s here or he’s not. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

just pointing out he didn’t demand 45 a yr and his cap hit will be manageable year one.