Too many holes on OL and Defense to pay Dak

DanA

Reaction score
The team only has 27 Mil. to sign 14 players (Daks one of them) plus the practice squad players. They've done restructured about every high-priced player's salary just to create that 27 mil next year. Daks demanding 45 mil per yr.
Dak is done in Big D!

Dak’s 2021 cap hit is likely to be about 25m despite getting paid closer to 40m in terms of APY.

After cutting Poe, and restructuring Martin and Collins or Cooper, we’ll have enough to get by in free agency considering the 10 draft picks we have.

SSoup

Reaction score
I guess punting the QB position is a viable strategy to try.

Whatever it takes to justify getting rid of the guy who gives you people a hate boner.

Swagger

Reaction score
Despite the small sample I'd take Justin Herbert over Dak today. And I'll do so for one reason. Herbert has shown that he can vertically challenge the field with high level throws. he can simply make throws that Dak cannot make.
Plus he will be on peanuts for 4-5 years

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
as soon as you can guarantee we will get a QB as good as Dak I might by into this idea, I would cut loose anyone who is not producing and has huge contracts and take my chances in the draft and what ever we can get out of FA, besides chucking Dak aint gonna happen, I promise JJ wont let that happen so you might as well start coming up with a new plan this one is flawed from the start.

If JJ wont do it (and I agree with you he wont)...that kind of suggests its the right thing to do.

His whole strategy is based on players accepting long term contracts, with limited guaranteed money at the end which can be restructured through the years.......then Dak says no, I want a 4 year max contract. which just threw out ALL of JJ's plans.

1) Your premise that we need to get a QB that's as good as Dak infers that we are going to compete in the short term - NOT HAPPENING.
2) We MAY be able to compete after a number of years....PROVIDED DAK TAKES A LONG TERM DEAL. where we can defer the majority of the money to years 4 and 5. That will give us time to draft and run down the existing poor contracts. My preferred option.
3) There are two ways to approach the draft (if Dak hasnt signed by then) .....but from your post above I doubt you'd understand the subtitles.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If this team gets the #1 pick you take Trevor Lawrence and let Dak walk, otherwise just get the best defender available. The offense is actually still ok with Tyron + La'el + Martin back. The defense is historically bad, but you don't pass on Lawrence if this team somehow tanks its way to #1.

Interestingly, if we had a top 3 pick it would bring to the surface what Dak's priority was (Money/Length of Contract or playing in Dallas).

We (non-exclusive TAG) Dak make it public that we would draft Lawrence/Lance/Field and will keep either the draftee or Dak.

Dak comes to table to negotiate the 'mutually beneficial' contract, we negotiate with teams on Dak (Colts) and our draft position (there are a number of teams willing to trade up for one of the 3 top draft QB's).

There are a number of interesting Defensive players in the draft, but Micah Parsons (reported the consensus best Defensive Player) is still only expected to go 5-10 in the draft. May be better to trade the pick for a combination of 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.

But yes you're right we NEED Defense.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak “demanded” 45 mil for a fifth year. It was effectively saying I don’t want a five year deal. Whatever he ultimately signs for, his actual cap hit next year will be highly manageable.
no, he wanted an out for the last year, which would have been good for Jerry and Dak. I think Jerry was stupid for not doing it. he cornered himself. given it would be 5 years from now, with expected jump in cap in 2024, it might have ended up being a bargain for a top 10 starting QB. if Dak was bad, then it was easy for Jerry to just cut his losses and move on.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
GL with this fantasy....and you know what the cap is probably dropping.
But enjoy your Dak world HF......
cap drops for one year...it doesn't just drop for Cowboys. it dopped for every NFL team. so all the teams are impacted by this. seattle, philly, rams, KC, Houston all will be impacted by the large contracts to their QBs, there are a few more large contracts like that......

Proof

Reaction score
no, he wanted an out for the last year, which would have been good for Jerry and Dak. I think Jerry was stupid for not doing it. he cornered himself. given it would be 5 years from now, with expected jump in cap in 2024, it might have ended up being a bargain for a top 10 starting QB. if Dak was bad, then it was easy for Jerry to just cut his losses and move on.

I don’t know what you’re saying. An out for the last year?

Dak was adamant all along he only wanted a four year deal. When the reports were leaked that he wanted 45 for the 5th year, that’s pretty clearly saying no to 5 years, knowing the Cowboys wouldn’t go for that

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The premise of your statement is that money spent equals performance on their field......so- if we spend a ton of money, we’ll be good everywhere but QB.

That’s not true and you don’t need me to tell you that. Key pieces in key positions set the rest of the team up for success. That- and actually get a competitive coaching staff.

I think the hardest thing is to have two / three good drafts in a row where you get 2-3 starters / important role players every year that augment what you are doing with your established stars.

That gives you 6-10 players on rookie deals making impacts on your team. You can still have your marquee QB, LT, DE, DT and CB.....maybe a WR in there. If you have decent / good everywhere else— you’re competitive at a reasonable rate.
exactly. that's the key...we have several top 5-10 contracts for the positions, ala Lawrence, Jaylon, Martin, Zeke, Smith, Collins, Cooper. its not like we didn't or couldn't sign top contracts. the problem is outside of Cooper and Martin, none is playing to the level of their contracts and I am not even so sure about Cooper....does he deserve a 20M/year contract?

its (wrong) personnel decisions that have hampered this team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak “demanded” 45 mil for a fifth year. It was effectively saying I don’t want a five year deal. Whatever he ultimately signs for, his actual cap hit next year will be highly manageable.

We can pay him $45m in 5th year, but he needs to be paid lower in years 2021/2022 (in region of $25m).

If we tag Dak his CAP contract is NOT manageable.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
so you been asking me,

what's your idea? what do you think we should do? come up with solutions.....viable one

Why wont/cant you answer my question.

All you do is throw it back.

Ill run through a 5 year suggestion...after you explain to me how you work out the 3 year deal.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
exactly. that's the key...we have several top 5-10 contracts for the positions, ala Lawrence, Jaylon, Martin, Zeke, Smith, Collins, Cooper. its not like we didn't or couldn't sign top contracts. the problem is outside of Cooper and Martin, none is playing to the level of their contracts and I am not even so sure about Cooper....does he deserve a 20M/year contract?

its (wrong) personnel decisions that have hampered this team.

But when those contracts we signed WE WERENT PAYING OUR QB OVER $35M.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Interestingly, if we had a top 3 pick it would bring to the surface what Dak's priority was (Money/Length of Contract or playing in Dallas).

We (non-exclusive TAG) Dak make it public that we would draft Lawrence/Lance/Field and will keep either the draftee or Dak.

Dak comes to table to negotiate the 'mutually beneficial' contract, we negotiate with teams on Dak (Colts) and our draft position (there are a number of teams willing to trade up for one of the 3 top draft QB's).

There are a number of interesting Defensive players in the draft, but Micah Parsons (reported the consensus best Defensive Player) is still only expected to go 5-10 in the draft. May be better to trade the pick for a combination of 1st/2nd/3rd round picks.

But yes you're right we NEED Defense.
Dak wanted a 3 year deal, he wanted a contract similar to wilson, wentz, goeff, to be able to get out of the contract by 2022 (not necessarily in dollars)..... watson took a $40M/year deal (4 years $160M), which on average is above market in today's market, but perhaps lesser in 2022 when the TV contract renegotiations happen.. so he took money up front, with becoming a FA in 2nd year of new TV contracs..

..... expectations are that the TV price will jump 50-80% perhaps, which means the cap goes up significantly. all those QBs, wanted a shorter term deal so that they could hit FA by 2022.....Jones wanted a longer term deal that would take Dak to 2024. each side was thinking about their own side of the deal. I believe there was the idea of floating a 4 year deal for $140 with the last year being $45M. given expectations of a jump in QB salaries, league salary cap, either $45 was a bargain QB deal or if not, Jerry could get out of it. for whatever reasons they didn't come to terms......

each side became stubborn and I think Dak had the right idea as he had leverage and Jones didn't..... for a 4 year $140M deal his average salary would be around $35...which would be on par with other QBs (considering salary in each subsequent year) and the expected QB market rise. Jones insisted on 5 year deal and wouldn't' budge...now, with two years of franchise tag....Dak's average salary would be about $35!! so he may hit FA in 2022 when Jones would have no leverage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why wont/cant you answer my question.

All you do is throw it back.

Ill run through a 5 year suggestion...after you explain to me how you work out the 3 year deal.
a 3 year deal would have been around $110-115......and allow Dak to hit FA in 2022 (as I have explained).....along with other QB in wentz, goff, wilson.

now, after the franchise tag, there is no 3 year deal at that price, as the price after 2022 will go up significantly with the expected rise in QB salaries

and what would your 5 year suggestion be?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don’t know what you’re saying. An out for the last year?

Dak was adamant all along he only wanted a four year deal. When the reports were leaked that he wanted 45 for the 5th year, that’s pretty clearly saying no to 5 years, knowing the Cowboys wouldn’t go for that
no, Jones wanted a 5 year deal. Dak's initial counter was for a 3 year deal. the 4 year deal came about, as the middle ground for both, with last year being $45M. Jones insisted on a 5 year deal, where he had no leverage.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But when those contracts we signed WE WERENT PAYING OUR QB OVER $35M.
not sure why its hard for you to understand...I have explained multiple times, but you keep getting mixed up.

we have all those players, plus multiple middle level players with Dak at $31M on the cap. it didn't stop us from offering cooper a 20M offer.......

with the expectations (pre-covid) that the cap will continue to go up about the same rate....so at AVERAGE of $35, with cap going up, we still could continue to sign, not only that, as any other team in the league does, you can redo contracts to create cap room and push dead money to future and even spread it around......EVERY TEAM does that......

so your constant assertion of $35 being something out worldly is meaningless with expectations that cap continues to go up......

not sure why you have so much problem following....its simple really...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
not sure why its hard for you to understand...I have explained multiple times, but you keep getting mixed up.

we have all those players, plus multiple middle level players with Dak at $31M on the cap. it didn't stop us from offering cooper a 20M offer.......

with the expectations (pre-covid) that the cap will continue to go up about the same rate....so at AVERAGE of $35, with cap going up, we still could continue to sign, not only that, as any other team in the league does, you can redo contracts to create cap room and push dead money to future and even spread it around......EVERY TEAM does that......

so your constant assertion of $35 being something out worldly is meaningless with expectations that cap continues to go up......

not sure why you have so much problem following....its simple really...

Is it fair to say Dak would accept that 3 year $115 in installments of: $30m (2021), $35m and $50m

BlueStar22

Reaction score
We simply have too many holes to pay Dak 35+ mill a year. We need to rebuild our OL and Defense. We might as well rebuild at the QB position as well.
Do yall think about this stuff before you start a thread?

BlueStar22

Reaction score
i am sorry but paying Dak is out of the question next year.whats the point of a watching a team crumbling around him one more year.This Defense needs major Fa talent to even be a recognizable NFL defense..
Giving you a raise next year is out of the question due to the pandemic this year putting your employer deep in the red all the while they're cashing in from government stimulus.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Is it fair to say Dak would accept that 3 year $115 in installments of: $30m (2021), $35m and $50m
how would I know?

you are asking questions that the response is only an assumption. do what ever assumption that fits your spin

what are you getting at? what are you trying to spin?