Top 10 offensive lines

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DC's didn't seem nearly as prepared when their defenses faced all five starting offensive linemen as they were against a backup. In the 11 games with the starting OL intact, Dallas had the #1 scoring offense.

Offense

with all 5 starting OL playing most of game
300 points on 111 drives (2.70 ppd)
28.4 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives

without all 5 starting OL
40 points on 52 drives (0.77 ppd)
8.1 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives
Wow.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollack was coach from 2015 on which includes 2016 so you are full of BS
I don't think we would see an immediate decline if the OL coach was a problem. The 2016 OL had all been coached by Callahan. In 2017 La'el, Cooper and backups Bell and Green were not coached by Callahan.

It's like the early nineties Cowboys that were so well coached by Jimmy that they were really good for another 2 years without a real NFL head coach (Switzer was mentally checked out by then). They likely win the 95 SB with literally anyone as Head Coach.

CCBoy

Reaction score
DC's didn't seem nearly as prepared when their defenses faced all five starting offensive linemen as they were against a backup. In the 11 games with the starting OL intact, Dallas had the #1 scoring offense.

Offense

with all 5 starting OL playing most of game
300 points on 111 drives (2.70 ppd)
28.4 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives

without all 5 starting OL
40 points on 52 drives (0.77 ppd)
8.1 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives

I officially rest your case, here and now...:)

Blackrain

Reaction score
From the outside looking in, Dak just about completely imploded when Elliot got suspended.

That is not a good omen going forward.

The whole offense imploded when Tyron was out Elliots suspension had much less affect

Blackrain

Reaction score
Biggest need HEAD COACH. Next Owner.
You got it . But since we know that is a ways off . Creating the most dominant Oline is the short term fix to at least give us good football to watch .

We all know the coaching will let us down and disappoint us in the end so we adjust our expectations accordingly . That Oline in Dak and Zekes rookie yr was like the perfect storm . What a year. Football that was exciting instead of frustrating ,imposing our will in the running game .

Then after 2 weeks to prepare Garret cant substitute players or manage the clock. SAD but all we can hope for with a Garrett coached team

Blackrain

Reaction score
Wow. We spent a lot of money and first rd picks in that Oline. Now, I hear it's no good?
What? Throw more picks and money at the problem? How many first rd picks do we need on the line?
Most teams make do with 1-2
With Garrett as coach EVERY ONE needs to be 1st round . With a good coach much less . In this salary cap era enough talent cant be acquired to overcome Garrett .

Our dysfunctional situation here in Dallas with Jerry and Garrett calls for different team building tactics than other more organized franchises have to use .

Other teams have compiled great talent in there management to get the most out of the players they can obtain . We have to acquire more talent than should be necessary to overcome our management and the Oline is the one area that covers the most weaknesses

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not surprised to not see us in the top 10. The oline was awful for much of last season. It still surprises me how little it's been talked about.

That is b/c the entire perception of the line play hinges on Tyron Smith and he wasn't at his best last year.......not even close. The assumption is that he'll be back healthy next year. Left tackle is the most important position on the line and his back-ups are fringe NFL players who didn't play well.

Another factor in the OL play nobody talks about is their often often more hats than could be blocked. Defenses overloaded the box to take away the short passes and stop the run. We need our QB to make them pay and it just never happened last year......... pick the excuse de jour.

Blackrain

Reaction score
That is b/c the entire perception of the line play hinges on Tyron Smith and he wasn't at his best last year.......not even close. The assumption is that he'll be back healthy next year. Left tackle is the most important position on the line and his back-ups are fringe NFL players who didn't play well.

Another factor in the OL play nobody talks about is their often often more hats than could be blocked. Defenses overloaded the box to take away the short passes and stop the run. We need our QB to make them pay and it just never happened last year......... pick the excuse de jour.

Tyrons health is the big unknown and with him hurt or out we struggle putting it mildly to score . Atlanta , philly, seattle and philly again

diefree666

Reaction score
I don't think we would see an immediate decline if the OL coach was a problem. The 2016 OL had all been coached by Callahan. In 2017 La'el, Cooper and backups Bell and Green were not coached by Callahan.

It's like the early nineties Cowboys that were so well coached by Jimmy that they were really good for another 2 years without a real NFL head coach (Switzer was mentally checked out by then). They likely win the 95 SB with literally anyone as Head Coach.
Nice theory. BUT position coaches are much more hands on with the actual players so DING DING wrong.

The FACT that from 2015 to 2016 the O line IMPROVED kind of pees on your parade

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
IF our O line is healthy then we have pretty much the best O line in the NFL. Cooper while not great is certainly good enough and will get better as he learns to work with those on both sides. THAT would have gone better without the dumb Green to guard stupidity. Collins steadily got better and will probably reach pro bowl status or near it. Our other three starters are arguably top 3 at their positions in the NFL. IF we resign Cooper the only real hole is swing tackle.

Agree with your assessment of Collins but Cooper is JAG unless he is between two of the best in the game, Tyron and Freddy. He was OK between those two but when Tyron went down he was totally exposed. If we don't go Vea in the draft then I hope we draft Wynn at 19 who has played every spot on the O-line. He's an immediate starter at G and our swing tackle

diefree666

Reaction score
Agree with your assessment of Collins but Cooper is JAG unless he is between two of the best in the game, Tyron and Freddy. He was OK between those two but when Tyron went down he was totally exposed. If we don't go Vea in the draft then I hope we draft Wynn at 19 who has played every spot on the O-line. He's an immediate starter at G and our swing tackle
we have bigger holes to fill. Cooper can do the job; by the end of the season he was better than average. As I said given time to learn each others tendencies he will improve on that as well. He was NOT totally exposed beyond what any starter would be when expected to do not only HIS Job but part of someone else's. And if our dumb dumber and dumbest coaching staff had made some adjustments THERE it would not have been that bad so blaming him for all that is just stupid. Drafting on that basis is just plain dumb. We need top talent at other positions - we cannot afford to waste top picks on guard.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
we have bigger holes to fill. Cooper can do the job; by the end of the season he was better than average. As I said given time to learn each others tendencies he will improve on that as well. He was NOT totally exposed beyond what any starter would be when expected to do not only HIS Job but part of someone else's. And if our dumb dumber and dumbest coaching staff had made some adjustments THERE it would not have been that bad so blaming him for all that is just stupid. Drafting on that basis is just plain dumb. We need top talent at other positions - we cannot afford to waste top picks on guard.

Like I said, if Vea is there at 19 he's an immediate starter and difference maker. A starting G who can play T is also an immediate upgrade over what we have, either Hernandez or Wynn. We all know that WR's, LB'ers and WR's rarely have an immediate impact and sometimes aren't even an upgrade. I know there are no guarantees with any of the draft picks but Vea is a consensus starter day 1 at DT 1 and he changes our defense immediately. I don't think we'll draft him but we should and if not him a G/T. Just a different opinion man

diefree666

Reaction score
Like I said, if Vea is there at 19 he's an immediate starter and difference maker. A starting G who can play T is also an immediate upgrade over what we have, either Hernandez or Wynn. We all know that WR's, LB'ers and WR's rarely have an immediate impact and sometimes aren't even an upgrade. I know there are no guarantees with any of the draft picks but Vea is a consensus starter day 1 at DT 1 and he changes our defense immediately. I don't think we'll draft him but we should and if not him a G/T. Just a different opinion man
I would not be adverse at all to getting a tackle in the first. We have to be pragmatic about Tyron. Backs do not get better; the best you can hope is that you can maintain for a while.
I think any guard in the first not named Nelson is just too much. Vea would be my preference if for no other reason to poke a sharp stick in the eye of Marrinellli to stop being stupid there. I happen to think a really nasty 1Tech would make a BIG difference.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Draft for positional strength, not flexability...those drafted types don't tend to hang around.

diefree666

Reaction score
Since LA we have drafted only six quality starters on the O line in 20+ years. The Hotel (1998), Gurode (2002), Free (2007); and then a dry spell until Tryon(2010), Zack(2014) and Fredbeard(2013). Now part of that was Jerry's refusal to use a first on OL thinking he could recreate the 90's O line of rejects and castoffs an low rd picks.

Our other picks on O line during that time period were ALL failures. Getting one every three to four years is NOT going to keep your O line going.

cowboyec

Reaction score
some T/G's I like beyond Rd 1....versatile OL who can play either spot.
•Austin Corbett,Nevada
•Alex Cappa,Humboldt
•Will Richardson,NC St

some guys to watch if our Cowboys don't go for a OL at 19.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
When Tyron goes out, the whole line suffers.

I think we should address it in the draft, but not in the first two rounds. Defense in the 1st and a speed WR in the second. Rest of the draft should be best player available.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since LA we have drafted only six quality starters on the O line in 20+ years. The Hotel (1998), Gurode (2002), Free (2007); and then a dry spell until Tryon(2010), Zack(2014) and Fredbeard(2013). Now part of that was Jerry's refusal to use a first on OL thinking he could recreate the 90's O line of rejects and castoffs an low rd picks.

Our other picks on O line during that time period were ALL failures. Getting one every three to four years is NOT going to keep your O line going.

Agreed.

But you don't need to use the 19th pick in this draft on a LG, unless the unthinkable happens and Nelson slides. That's a waste of prime assets.

diefree666

Reaction score
Agreed.

But you don't need to use the 19th pick in this draft on a LG, unless the unthinkable happens and Nelson slides. That's a waste of prime assets.
we should be able to get a decent guard in the 3rd; though our history kind of argues against that.

If I was running the war room unless Nelson falls to us I am looking at Vea or someone on the D side of the ball for the first rd pick. Though of course the real condition of tyron's back might make looking at taking a first rd tackle just as important.

Sydla

Reaction score
we should be able to get a decent guard in the 3rd; though our history kind of argues against that.

If I was running the war room unless Nelson falls to us I am looking at Vea or someone on the D side of the ball for the first rd pick. Though of course the real condition of tyron's back might make looking at taking a first rd tackle just as important.

Totally agree. I might be looking at a guy like Braden Smith in the 3rd if he's there at OG.

I think if they really want to fix the OL, they need a vet as the swing tackle. You can't count on a rookie to be that guy IMO. Further, I think you can find more than a competent OG later in this draft or even in FA. Frankly, I thought Cooper showed some improvement.

But using the 19th pick on an OG would be insanity IMO.