Top 10 offensive lines

cowboyec

Reaction score
Trade down then.

Taking an OG not named Nelson at 19 is preposterous given the Cowboys situation.
bull.
The Cowboys need an up-grade at OG and a swing tackle.
The addition of Paul Alexander will help...and might salvage Chaz Green.
But with Coopers knee injury...OG is a major need...and it could be up-graded at 19...depending on who is there.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Our Oline graded out bad because for one we lost Leary secondly Tyron was out and not very healthy all year. Tyron is the big ? as to what needs to be done with the Oline . If he is 100% healthy it is much less of a problem . Anytime he is out we cant score and it is a disaster .

Along with that our coaching is so bad we have no choice but to bolster our Oline into top 5 status if we want tolerable football to watch . If we have an Oline capable of dominating like before where we get 5 ypc it takes the game out of Garretts useless hands . We eat the clock protect our QB , defense , coaching, and beat the teams we should along with some of the tougher teams .

Its all good till the playoffs when everybodys good and we get out coached but till then a dominant Oline is our ONLY option to protect our weaknesses that we cant eliminate no matter how much talent we acquire.

We don't have the coaching to out smart anyone so we have to be the best at the basics 5 yrds and a ball of dust . That means as frustrating as it is we have to invest in the Oline to a degree that better coached teams are not forced to do.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
You dont need a top Oline to win ... Notice neither team in SuperBowl is on that list. A good QB , backfield and coaching can make up for a bad oline . Cowboys got lucky last year with so many changes which by the end of year DCs started to catch up too . Cowboys have talent but its not enough to always hide the defiances of the coaching. This year was perfect example when they refused to give help to Green .

Well we are done, did you say good coaching?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
You dont need a top Oline to win ... Notice neither team in SuperBowl is on that list. A good QB , backfield and coaching can make up for a bad oline. Cowboys got lucky last year with so many changes which by the end of year DCs started to catch up too.
DC's didn't seem nearly as prepared when their defenses faced all five starting offensive linemen as they were against a backup. In the 11 games with the starting OL intact, Dallas had the #1 scoring offense.

Offense

with all 5 starting OL playing most of game
300 points on 111 drives (2.70 ppd)
28.4 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives

without all 5 starting OL
40 points on 52 drives (0.77 ppd)
8.1 ppg with Cowboys' typical number of drives

Sydla

Reaction score
Hernandez is a mauler and starts day 1.

Great.

I think it’s a better use of resources to get an OG in FA and use the 1st round pick on just about any other position.

I mean think about what you are apparently suggesting. Despite the fact we have four first round talents at the other four OL positions, it’s a guy from UTEP at the 19th pick that is the missing link and makes this OL elite.

Forgetting the fact if you look around the league, better OLs have been built with less resources.

Taking Hernandez at 19 would just be about the worst pick possible in terms of value I can think of in this draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jonathan Cooper is a f/a and is coming off his 2nd knee injury of his career.
If the highest rated player on the board is a OG...why are you so obtuse about taking a OG?
Do you trust this front office to sign a veteran f/a OG thats not a Byron Bell equivolent ???
I dont...their track record is better finding them in the draft....if its at 19 or later Im fine with it.
The talent at OG is better at the top...if you are gonna get one...do it early.

One because I have doubts Hernandez would be the highest rated player on our board at 19.

Two because sometimes you have to analyze value along with bpa. In other words if the best player available at 19 were a RB we should not take him.

They’ve invested a ton in this OL already. They should be able to find an OG in FA and make it work given what they already have.

cowboyec

Reaction score
One because I have doubts Hernandez would be the highest rated player on our board at 19.

Two because sometimes you have to analyze value along with bpa. In other words if the best player available at 19 were a RB we should not take him.

They’ve invested a ton in this OL already. They should be able to find an OG in FA and make it work given what they already have.
we'll see.
If they sign a vet f/a OG before the draft,that is a likeky indication that they won't take an OG at 19...maybe later.
If on draft night,they have not addressed the OG spot in f/a...its likely a possibility at 19.
We have a LONG way to go til then.

Sydla

Reaction score
Braden Smith in the 3rd makes more sense than Hernandez at 19.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

I see what you and few other posters are saying amount resources already invested in OL but IMO
1. No question we have to upgrade from Cooper
2. Of course, we can only do it via draft or free agency
3. If we go free agency, we better make darn sure he's not a bottom feeder. I'm thinking mid-tier type
4. If we go draft, can we say 3rd or 4th rounder is an upgrade over Cooper? I'm not sure......kinda risky IMO. 2nd round, no problem.
5. With the draft AFTER free agency, if we do not upgrade position during free agency, our options are limited to 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders if we're not inclined to use a first.

Let's say the Cowboys are on the board at 19, all their targeted first round grades are gone accept DE, CB, LG, ( Wynn ) or T. Who's your selection?

Sydla

Reaction score
I see what you and few other posters are saying amount resources already invested in OL but IMO
1. No question we have to upgrade from Cooper
2. Of course, we can only do it via draft or free agency
3. If we go free agency, we better make darn sure he's not a bottom feeder. I'm thinking mid-tier type
4. If we go draft, can we say 3rd or 4th rounder is an upgrade over Cooper? I'm not sure......kinda risky IMO. 2nd round, no problem.
5. With the draft AFTER free agency, if we do not upgrade position during free agency, our options are limited to 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounders if we're not inclined to use a first.

Let's say the Cowboys are on the board at 19, all their targeted first round grades are gone accept DE, CB, LG, ( Wynn ) or T. Who's your selection?

If graded similarly, the answer is easy.

DE. Even with Lawrence’s year our pass rush was middle of the pack in sacks and QB pressures.

It’s a no brainer call to me. I’d also consider an OT who might also be able to play guard. A pure OG? I’d try to trade out of 19 before taking a pure OG like Hernandez at 19.

Otto65

Reaction score
Don't know how to do it but Dallas needs Derwin James, Vita Vea, and Fernandez. Sounds like those three will be day one starters. Figure it out Jerry. Don't waste time on some player who was very good, but has already had 3 knee surgeries.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our Offline stinks, Dez stinks, Witten stinks, Beasley stinks, Zeke is Fat, i mean common now how many excuses till we all admit who the real culprit is here.....look here below for the truth....Amen!!!

Valorius

Reaction score
You dont need a top Oline to win ... Notice neither team in SuperBowl is on that list. A good QB , backfield and coaching can make up for a bad oline . Cowboys got lucky last year with so many changes which by the end of year DCs started to catch up too . Cowboys have talent but its not enough to always hide the defiances of the coaching. This year was perfect example when they refused to give help to Green .
The Eagles line was no1 ranked in the NFL by Pro Focus Football.

The ranking methodology cited in this thread is....suspect.

Valorius

Reaction score
More than the Oline, the Cowboys better hope Prescott was not a 1 year flash in the pan. If he has another year like this season just passed, the Cowboys are in deep, deep trouble moving forward.

diefree666

Reaction score
Our line has gone downhill since Callahan left. Talent is still there but they need coaching and cohesion. Need to keep Collins at RT and let him grow. Whomever is going to be LG needs to take every snap in the offseason. No more of this rotating people in and out crap
Pollack was coach from 2015 on which includes 2016 so you are full of BS

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Again, the attitude toward anyone defending him...I rest my case. And it is complete BS to say that there are none blaming everything on Dak. There are idiots that have gone as far as to say a TD pass he threw to Witten was a bad pass for crying out loud.

Have fun chasing windmills. And it's one thing to defend, it's another to ignore all faults and attack those that point them out.

diefree666

Reaction score
IF our O line is healthy then we have pretty much the best O line in the NFL. Cooper while not great is certainly good enough and will get better as he learns to work with those on both sides. THAT would have gone better without the dumb Green to guard stupidity. Collins steadily got better and will probably reach pro bowl status or near it. Our other three starters are arguably top 3 at their positions in the NFL. IF we resign Cooper the only real hole is swing tackle.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
The Eagles line was no1 ranked in the NFL by Pro Focus Football.

The ranking methodology cited in this thread is....suspect.

PFF stats are not always best to go by. Birds Oline was not as great as some make it out to be. Wentz made it look a lot better by being able to escape and move up in pocket . FOles was getting hit a lot as well even after they started using more RPO.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Have fun chasing windmills. And it's one thing to defend, it's another to ignore all faults and attack those that point them out.
One more time show me the post where I said Dak didn't need to play better. I am attacking those that are exaggerating the mistakes, you included. The shear amount of hyperbole coming from the Dak hating side has seeped into the more rational fans. Basic case of repeat the BS enough people start to believe it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
One more time show me the post where I said Dak didn't need to play better. I am attacking those that are exaggerating the mistakes, you included. The shear amount of hyperbole coming from the Dak hating side has seeped into the more rational fans. Basic case of repeat the BS enough people start to believe it.

Oh I know you've come into every Dak thread and acted like our criticisms of his poor accuracy and reads were unfounded. Now that there is an OP showing dozens of poor reads and throws you are resorting to this tactic.

Your question is not an argument and it's premise that you want assumed completely misses the point. The better question would be show where you have ever been critical of Dak. That is the entire point of your bias. While I am sure you have some cognitive dissonance your never going to give any credence to any criticism.

In the meantime, Dak struggles to throw accurate passes outside past the flat and downfield. He often makes throws with either poor reads or not looking at all which results in his throwing into coverage. His mechanics are inconsistent and he abandons them completely when pressured throwing off one, foot, leaning this way and that, and with funkyarm angles.

He is not a lost cause. He was not inaccurate in the middle of the field his rookie season. He is well built and has a strong arm. If he can get back to his fundamentals he could regain his 2016 form.

As for your claims of repeating things, I have to say that is tremendously obtuse to the video in the OP which shows not tells what we have been saying. The only one repeating things ad nauseum is you.