Top 10 QBs right now

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks Hostile. Got my dander up about Elway and wanted to respond. Instead of grief I got a compliment.

How's that for making your day!! Off.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
Thanks Hostile. Got my dander up about Elway and wanted to respond. Instead of grief I got a compliment.

How's that for making your day!! Off.
Elway is the best I've ever seen. Put him on any team with any other QB in their primes and I think the other guy rides the pine. He's the mold, the model.

I liked Grogan, but he's kind of like our Danny White. If you weren't around to actually see him play you couldn't really appreciate how good he was.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Elway is the best I've ever seen. Put him on any team with any other QB in their primes and I think the other guy rides the pine. He's the mold, the model.
Amazing it took a RB like T. Davis for him to finally get a ring. I always use guys like Elway,Marino and Manning in my argument that football is the ultimate team sport.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I liked Grogan, but he's kind of like our Danny White. If you weren't around to actually see him play you couldn't really appreciate how good he was.
You mean Grogan could punt also?

:lmao:

ghst187

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Amazing it took a RB like T. Davis for him to finally get a ring. I always use guys like Elway,Marino and Manning in my argument that football is the ultimate team sport.

replace "T Davis" with "dirty OL blocking scheme that opened gargantuan holes for any average running back to roll up 2000+ yards"

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
So how does this make him the 2nd best QB in the league? Afterall, I never said his 17th passing rating made him the 17th best QB, I said it doesn't make him the 2nd best.

How can any sensible person debate that?
I never ranked him 2nd in anything.

I ranked him 5th going into this year(as a 1 year consideration) but would have placed him 8th to 10th last season all stats considered.

In the end if Brady gets annointed the game's best for what he did with the Pats team doesn't Bledsoe deserve some credit for his passing yardage and TD totals behind that OL?

I understand Bledsoe faltered at the end of the year but he also beat Delhomme and Carolina and Green and Kansas City in the last 4 weeks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
So you say the QB rating is not reliable stat, because Bulger, McNabb, Brad Johnson, and Holcomb didn't play enough games.

BUT, being 8th in passing yards, & 8th in TDs has nothing to do with those same players missing those same games?

Can't have it both ways.

Actually yes I can have it both ways. I am looking at 16 game totals not 12 game totals. Participating in 16 games is a major factor in the season.

Put another way everyone loved Hambrick when he ran 12 times a game as Emmitt's backup and averaged about 7 yards per carry. Then when he was asked to start games and carry the ball regularly he dropped under 4.0 yards per carry.

Talkt o me about a RB who gets 1500 yards per seaosn not a guy who has 3 good games and then sits out 6 weeks. Aren't we going through that with Julius now? And thats why I list Julius below Portis and other guys who play every week.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Winks just a few points because the line by line stuff takes way too long to keep repeating the same things.

1. I would definitely say McNabb has been better over the past 5 years. I never argued he wasn't. I argued last year he had fallen.

2. Troy Aikman and others have been building stats that are more reliable than QB rating because it is inherently flawed. The main issue is it ignores conditions and rewards short completions and low risk passing. It has always pumped up WCO types. Steve Young always set benchmarks as did Montana. Partially because they were awesome but also because 5 yard passes to Jerry Rice that he breaks for 80 benefits the QB enormously.

3. Would you say Bledsoe had both Terry and KJ for more than 78% of the time? And did Dallas even have a 3rd wR most of last season? Would you rather have KJ and Glenn or TO and Reggie Brown?

4. Brian Westbrook is a better receiving back than just about anyone in football.

5. New England won just fine with Bledsoe for a while. He was not crapping out in round 1 of the playoffs like Manning. Buffalo was awful before and after Bledsoe so it wasn't his fault pretty clearly. Did Archie Manning just flat suck or was it that the team never got built up? Do you honestly expect anyone to start Torrin Tucker at LT EVER AGAIN? How come Rivera, Al Johnson and Larry Allen didn't give up the 15 plus sacks that the tackles did? How come Flozell was no where near that pace? I am pretty sure its Bledsoe's fault the schedule was so tough too.

Justis

Reaction score
Something a lot of people aren't taking into account are the advantages other QBs had that Bledsoe did not. I'm pretty sure that if Delhomme had Terry Glenn, who is a good reciever, instead of Steve Smith, his #s wouldn't be nearly as impressive. And Hasslebeck, had the best Oline in the conference, as well as the league MVP to hand off to. Trent Green's QB rating tanked the second Willie Roaf wasn't protecting his weak side, and the Chiefs had a better backup than Torrin Tucker.
The fact is, Bledsoe had to be the only catalyst in that 05 offense, most of the year. The running game was awful, and Bledsoe did have to constantly endure the unrelenting pass rush caused by the warm bodies at the tackle positions. Quite frankly, I don't think there is a QB in the league who could have faired better in that situation. I think the entire nation saw how Peyton Manning did when pass rushers were constantly in his face. Now if I had a top 10 list, Bledsoe would probably be around 8th.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Bledsoe has a career playoff QB rating of 54.9. That is terrible. Even his best single playoff game performance is only a 77.9 rating. Vinny Testeverde managed a 81.2 career playoff rating and he played on teams comparable to Bledsoe. And I can't stand Vinny.

Marino and Elway had career playoff ratings of 77.1 and 79.8, respectively. Both threw more TDs than INTs. Bledsoe has not. Both averaged over 200 yards a game in the playoffs. Bledsoe has not. Both had higher completion percentages than Bledsoe's 51.6% career percentage.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Bledsoe has a career playoff QB rating of 54.9. That is terrible. Even his best single playoff game performance is only a 77.9 rating. Vinny Testeverde managed a 81.2 career playoff rating and he played on teams comparable to Bledsoe. And I can't stand Vinny.

Marino and Elway had career playoff ratings of 77.1 and 79.8, respectively. Both threw more TDs than INTs. Bledsoe has not. Both averaged over 200 yards a game in the playoffs. Bledsoe has not. Both had higher completion percentages than Bledsoe's 51.6% career percentage.

they won't listen...I tried :(

you will bet a lot of ifs and buts...

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Actually yes I can have it both ways. I am looking at 16 game totals not 12 game totals. Participating in 16 games is a major factor in the season.

Put another way everyone loved Hambrick when he ran 12 times a game as Emmitt's backup and averaged about 7 yards per carry. Then when he was asked to start games and carry the ball regularly he dropped under 4.0 yards per carry.

Talkt o me about a RB who gets 1500 yards per seaosn not a guy who has 3 good games and then sits out 6 weeks. Aren't we going through that with Julius now? And thats why I list Julius below Portis and other guys who play every week.

The NFL has set minimums required to qualify for each position. If a QB has enough attempts to be rated, matters not whether he played 12 games or 16. If a RB has enough carries to qualify in average, matters not if he plays 12 games or 16.

Why do you have to exaggerate to make a point? Talk to you about a RB who gets 1500 yards a seaon and not a guy who has 3 good games? Really? Wow, that's some mind numbing ground breaking stuff right there. Here, let me try that.....Talk to me about a QB that throws for 4000 yards per season and not a guy who that has 2 good games, that's why I list Charlie Frye below Peyton Manning....Hey, that's easy, I like it!!!

And Troy Hambrick never averaged 'about 7' yards a carry, his best season was a 5.1 yard per carry year in which he didn't have enough carries to officially qualify in that category.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Winks just a few points because the line by line stuff takes way too long to keep repeating the same things.

1. I would definitely say McNabb has been better over the past 5 years. I never argued he wasn't. I argued last year he had fallen.

2. Troy Aikman and others have been building stats that are more reliable than QB rating because it is inherently flawed. The main issue is it ignores conditions and rewards short completions and low risk passing. It has always pumped up WCO types. Steve Young always set benchmarks as did Montana. Partially because they were awesome but also because 5 yard passes to Jerry Rice that he breaks for 80 benefits the QB enormously.

3. Would you say Bledsoe had both Terry and KJ for more than 78% of the time? And did Dallas even have a 3rd wR most of last season? Would you rather have KJ and Glenn or TO and Reggie Brown?

4. Brian Westbrook is a better receiving back than just about anyone in football.

5. New England won just fine with Bledsoe for a while. He was not crapping out in round 1 of the playoffs like Manning. Buffalo was awful before and after Bledsoe so it wasn't his fault pretty clearly. Did Archie Manning just flat suck or was it that the team never got built up? Do you honestly expect anyone to start Torrin Tucker at LT EVER AGAIN? How come Rivera, Al Johnson and Larry Allen didn't give up the 15 plus sacks that the tackles did? How come Flozell was no where near that pace? I am pretty sure its Bledsoe's fault the schedule was so tough too.

1. So if McNabb was better for the past five years (and was by statistical analysis done by NFL, the better passer last year) why in God's name would you rank Bledsoe higher?

2. If the WCO inflates QB's numbers and they come up with better stats... it may be a better way of playing the game? And what's wrong with that #1, and #2 why should those QB's be punished if they are in those systems and put up better numbers? Aren't better numbers condusive to winning?

3. Last time I looked Bledsoe had TG and Key for the entire season. McNabb was without his #2 receiver for his entire season and he was without his #1 receiver for 22% of the time. If that isn't a distinct advantage for Bledsoe... then I'm Nors. ;) (psst. I won't even bring up the part about Witten being better than Smith since I think you've been schooled already :))

4. Yes, I agree, Westbrook is a tremendous RB catching the ball-- when he plays.

5. Yes, for a while Bledsoe did fine in New England. But that's like saying Junior Seau was great early in his career too... The trouble is it doesn't have any relevancy on what he's done in the recent past... which isn't "awe-inspiring". And if you think Bledsoe doesn't contribute to his own high sack numbers... you need to talk to Zaxor a little. ;)

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
jterrell said:
...1. I would definitely say McNabb has been better over the past 5 years. I never argued he wasn't. I argued last year he had fallen.

I agree jterrell ...injuries like a sports hernia tend to help slow down a QB ratings significanlty.

PT

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Wow, so much idiocy and homerism in this thread it hurt my head just skimming through a few pages of posts.

Bledsoe the #2 QB? Manning on down the list? McNabb sucks?

Let's see, the QBs i'd rather have than drew bledsoe.

Carson Palmer, Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb, Dante Culpepper, Tom Brady, Big Ben, Eli Manning, Matt Hasselbeck