Top 10 QBs right now

J-DOG

Reaction score
The Answer said:
The Answer's top 10 QB's playing right now:

1.) Tom Brady - 3 world titles in first 5 seasons speaks for itself, has a great defense and coach but can't argue what he brings to the table.
2.) Drew Bledsoe - 14 year veteran can still sling it with the best of them, puts up great numbers with lesser talent but finally appears to have the missing link: TO
3.) Ben Rothlisberger - 15-1 as a rookie, outstanding performance in 3 straight road playoff games and a world title in his 2nd year.
4.) Jake Delhomme - The cajun sensation seems to be getting better each year, plays great in the big games.
5.) Peyton Manning - Can't ignore the numbers, but despite having phenomenal talent around him he still comes up short when it matters most.
6.) Donavan McNabb - Won a lot of games before TO, with TO and likely will after TO.
7.) Matt Hasslebach - From Brett Favre's understudy to a rock solid all around QB and a superbowl birth, can he do it again?
8.) Carson Palmer - Finally arrived in his 3rd season and has a very bright future if he can fully recover from a devestating injury.
9.) Trent Green - late bloomer has had a great running game to compliment his passing yards.
10.) Drew Brees - Going to make a lot of noise in NO with reggie bush if he is healthy. Chargers made a foolish mistake letting him walk.

Honorable mentions: Dante Culpepper, Brett Favre, Jake Plummer, Mark Bulger and Kurt Warner.

Please provide you top 10 QB rankings and base it on their PRESENT accomplishments, the team/talent around them, and proven ability, not future potential or past successes.

Thanks

~The Answer
"One of these things is not like the other..."
Question...of those ten qb's which one does not have mobility???
Hmmmnnn.
I like what Bledsoe can do but let's be real here...the only guy he compares favorably to is Brees.
Brees has more mobility but Bledsoe has a much stonger arm.
Right now Bledsoe belongs in the honarable mention category.
Those guys mentioned in honorable mention have flaws but are effective qb's.
Some of those top ten qb's are system qb's...like Green and Manning.
I think Hasselbeck is too, but he has the athletic abilty to play in a different system also.
My top qb's...
1.Brady
2.Palmer
3.Rothlesberger
4.Delhomme
5.Hasselbeck
I think sometimes people rank these qb's because they are so successful in a system they run. Manning being the perfect example. You take him out of that no huddle scheme and he becomes very average in my opinion.
My point is, you stop the system of offense they run you stop the qb.
With Brady and the others I listed, I think that they can overcome that.
I think with Bledsoe we need to run a certain system to protect his flaws. For instance... having Bledsoe roll out and throw a 5 yard out pattern is not to his strength. I understand why we would do that, to move the pocket as a change of pace, but in a critical third down situation I would not call that play.
If we call plays to Bledsoe's strength's we should be very good this next season. I know defenses will try to blitz us out of that but with a healthy O-line and TO....Bledsoe can thrive where as last season he would struggle under those circumstances(ex.2nd Washington game).

superpunk

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Then check is offensive coordinator...does this situation (old, talented, semi-mobile QB) remind you of Mark Brunell in 2006? :)

No, it doesn't. Green has about the best pocket presence of anyone in the league, save Tom Brady. He has the bigger arm, and no real injury problems.

I think Green definitely is talented enough to be the third best QB in the league. He's accurate, durable and smart with the football. He was the perfect fit for Vermeil's offense. I don't know that Brunell fits that bill with Saunders. Not sure he has a big enough arm to consistently make the throws Green does, and if his legs get nicked, it's game over.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Where's the argument that McNabb's wide receivers sucked? Or his running backs were hurt?

Um, McNabb only played two games without Terrell Owens, and played no games without Westbrook.

Those excuses wouldn't make any sense, so that's probably why you don't hear them. ;)

Drewpies lament, "But Drew would have been all-world with a better offensive line (sniffle, sniffle)."

I don't think it's that he WOULD be better. It's that he WAS better. Flo went down, Bledsoe went to hell. If the line can stay healthy this year, we'll see if those incidents were related, or just amazing coincidence. My money's on "related."

From this thread it appears that not everyone thinks he's better than I do JT. I said Bledsoe would be somewhere from #11 to #14. I don't think I'm trashing a guy that ranked #17 in the NFL last year.

In my list, I was gonna put him behind Leftwich, at 11. I agree.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Um, McNabb only played two games without Terrell Owens, and played no games without Westbrook.

Those excuses wouldn't make any sense, so that's probably why you don't hear them. ;)

I was referring to the loss of Buckhawlter. Westbrook hasn't ever been a 20 carry a game back.

But the point is the Philly running game sucked (except for the second Cowboy/Philly game which is another thread in itself)... and it didn't do McNabb any favors.

And I doubt from a talent standpoint anyone could say that TO, the POS that Philly had as their 2nd receiver after Pinkston was lost, and LJ Smith were a better receiving corp than Key, Glenn and Witten. And then consider the two games Ownes didn't play while McNabb was the starter-- he had virtually nothing left at WR. Bledsoe never had that problem last year.

On top of that Philly had their own OL injury problems with Tra Thomas and the loss of their starting center.

So please don't paint a picture that Bledsoe had no help while McNabb was surrounded by endless talent.

I don't think it's that he WOULD be better. It's that he WAS better. Flo went down, Bledsoe went to hell. If the line can stay healthy this year, we'll see if those incidents were related, or just amazing coincidence. My money's on "related."

Sure Bledsoe looked worse after Flozell was hurt. I'm not arguing that point.

In my list, I was gonna put him behind Leftwich, at 11. I agree.

After all that... yes we do. ;)

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
So please don't paint a picture that Bledsoe had no help while McNabb was surrounded by endless talent.

Please don't infer that I am. But your excuses for McNabb weren't exactly on the level - that's all. Owens played all but two games with McNabb, and Buckhalter was scheduled to be more involved, but you might as well toss Crayton out there as a Bledsoe excuse, then. Bottom line, they didn't run the ball, regardless of personnel - it was their piss-poor coaching that did that, not a back that has been a non-factor for two years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Please don't infer that I am. But your excuses for McNabb weren't exactly on the level - that's all. Owens played all but two games with McNabb, and Buckhalter was scheduled to be more involved, but you might as well toss Crayton out there as a Bledsoe excuse, then. Bottom line, they didn't run the ball, regardless of personnel - it was their piss-poor coaching that did that, not a back that has been a non-factor for two years.

I agree they didn't run the ball or even seem to try to but not in no way did the lack of a running game (no matter what reason for it) help McNabb.

Mr. Grundle

Reaction score
superpunk said:

McNabb was blowing it up way before T.O., when his starting receivers were Todd Stinkston and James Trash.

Anyone rating Bledsoe ahead of McNabb should have their head examined. Christ, a case could be made that Bledsoe is the worst starting QB in the NFC East. I'M NOT SAYING HE IS, BUT A CASE COULD BE MADE. That is all.

superpunk

Reaction score
Mr. Grundle said:
McNabb was blowing it up way before T.O., when his starting receivers were Todd Stinkston and James Trash.

If by "blowing it up" you mean having average accuracy and choking in critical situations, then I agree.

Without TO, McNabb is not that much better than Bledsoe. He's better, but it's not night and day.

Mr. Grundle

Reaction score
superpunk said:
If by "blowing it up" you mean having average accuracy and choking in critical situations, then I agree.

Without TO, McNabb is not that much better than Bledsoe. He's better, but it's not night and day.

I disagree. McNabb had no help on offense before T.O., and he carried the team offensively on his shoulders to the playoffs year after year.

Bledsoe does not have the ability to carry a team on his shoulders. Many have already pointed this out by claiming he is just as "talented" as the elite quarterbacks, but just doesn't have the supporting cast to prove it.

Do you think Bledsoe will even sniff at the 105 QB rating McNabb posted in '04 when T.O. came on board? I don't, but I guess we'll find out.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
superpunk said:

The guy led that team to the NFCCG 4 times without TO. And to the SB without him.

Is he a choker ? Indeed. Is his accuracy among the best ? Absolutely not.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Bbbut bbbbutt that's just it. He didn't have a 'top 10' year, he was 17th. How in the world can a guy that finished 17th merit rankings as high as 2nd best QB in the NFL? Good grief that's just ridiculous.

And I'm a Bledsoe fan.
17th in Qb rating which is not any reliable stat. A guy who misses 6 games because of injury could rank higher than a guy who played all year as occured on that ranking. Were Bulger, McNabb, Brad Johnson, Holcomb really better last year than Bledsoe? Of course not. They didnt play enough games.

He was 8th in passing yards, 8th in TDs, he was player of the month 1 month and a pro bowl alternate.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
And McNabb still had a higher passer rating than Bledsoe...
Yes he did. QB rating is a particularly faulty stat and certainly not the best indicator of a QBs performance over a season. Try actually looking at the stats as a whole and not fallingback on that crutch for your argument.

Yeah, I know, "Bledsoe had the worst line in the NFL... blah, blah, blah."
No, actually Carr did. Bledsoe merely had the 2nd worst line in the league.

Where's the argument that McNabb's wide receivers sucked? Or his running backs were hurt? And who had the better tightends? McNabb or Bledsoe?
Philly had better Wrs than Dallas when TO was on the field. For the two games he wasn't McNabb has crappy WRs. Witten is a better TE when he actually gets to go out for passes. Bledsoe in a down the field offense completed a higher percentage of his passes than McNabb did in the dink and dunk WCO offense known for producing ridiculously high QB ratings.

Drewpies lament, "But Drew would have been all-world with a better offensive line (sniffle, sniffle)."

But mention McNabb and you get the standard, "He sucked last year." :rolleyes:
McNabb did suck last year. That doesn't come from us but Philly fans. He fought through injuries, was wildly inaccurate on even short passes and turned a lot of his teammates off.

From this thread it appears that not everyone thinks he's better than I do JT. I said Bledsoe would be somewhere from #11 to #14. I don't think I'm trashing a guy that ranked #17 in the NFL last year.
I have no problem with 11th to 14th. If everyone is healthy and playing well that just might be about right. I'd probably put him 8th or so if I knew the health status of some of the other guys going into the season.

Healty doesn't make anyone a top-10 QB on it's own. As a matter of fact I think that's a relatively weak argument actually.

Yes, the "worst" offensive line in the NFL. Not that he didn't have a hand in that by doing his best Pee-Wee Herman imitation to the ball every time he went back to pass.
It can dang sure make someone NOT a top 10 QB which is the point. I can't rank guys coming off of broken legs above a guy who is healthy until I at least see them on the field again. Torrin Tucker sucked long before Drew Bledsoe arrived in Dallas. Jacob Rogers tapped out before he even blocked for Bledsoe. Rivera hurt his back before game 1. But if it helps you to sleep better at night we'll blame their play as a unit on Bledsoe. The Bills did the same then ended up cutting half the OL the next year anyways.
I also don't give a guy props for not getting a team into the playoffs for 4-straight years.
No one is asking you to. In fact I have no desire to drag out any compliment or credit towards Bledsoe at all. You thought he sucked when he signed and only begrudingly gave him any credit even when he was the NFL's offensive player of the month. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong. No sense worrying too much over that as the proof will be in the pudding.

Quite frankly to put Bledsoe above Peyton Manning scares me JT... I thought you had better judgement than that, but I guess the need to "homer-out" erases good judgement at times.

No homering out there for me. I simply can't in good faith list Manning high after watching his playoff meltdowns and the way he has handled his criticism of teammates puts him about 1 notch above Terrell Owens. He had Edge, Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Stokley, Dallas Clark and was still crying and blaming everyone else when he tossed picks. How many QBs had a cast as good his his??? And he has managed to win exactly how many playoff games in 8 years? I have no problem ranking Manning much lower than most and honestly do not fear him this year facing the Boys. He is just as OL reliant as Bledsoe but more easily flustered because he's not used ot getting hit. He sucks versus 3-4 defenses that pressure him: See San Diego, NE, Pitt.

Cowchips

Reaction score
demdcowboys#1 said:
As a cowboys fan, i have to say that you are absolutely out of your mind, to have Bledsoe at #2, even i know that is absurd, i mean come on
that is toooooooooooooooo homer!!!!!!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahah
hilarious
fix it!!!!!!!!!!

As a Cowboy fan I hope that Bledsoe becomes a #1 or #2 this year because of his supporting cast. I can see him tossing 4,500yds and 30+ touchdowns with all the weapons and better protection. If that happens and the Boys go deep into the playoffs, Bledsoe will easily be considered top 5 and maybe 1 or 2.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
jterrell said:
17th in Qb rating which is not any reliable stat. A guy who misses 6 games because of injury could rank higher than a guy who played all year as occured on that ranking. Were Bulger, McNabb, Brad Johnson, Holcomb really better last year than Bledsoe? Of course not. They didnt play enough games.

He was 8th in passing yards, 8th in TDs, he was player of the month 1 month and a pro bowl alternate.

So how does this make him the 2nd best QB in the league? Afterall, I never said his 17th passing rating made him the 17th best QB, I said it doesn't make him the 2nd best.

How can any sensible person debate that?

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
jterrell said:

So you say the QB rating is not reliable stat, because Bulger, McNabb, Brad Johnson, and Holcomb didn't play enough games.

BUT, being 8th in passing yards, & 8th in TDs has nothing to do with those same players missing those same games?

Can't have it both ways.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jterrell said:
Yes he did. QB rating is a particularly faulty stat and certainly not the best indicator of a QBs performance over a season.

The NFL seems to attach a lot of meaning to a "faulty" stat JT.

Try actually looking at the stats as a whole and not falling back on that crutch for your argument.

Comparing Bledsoe and McNabb over the past 4 years, stat to stat, certainly appears to push McNabb as the better QB-- convincingly. Maybe you have some other stats not published that you would want me to look at also?

No, actually Carr did. Bledsoe merely had the 2nd worst line in the league.

Funny how virtually every offensive line Bledsoe plays behind ends up one of the worst in the league. Hmm.

Philly had better Wrs than Dallas when TO was on the field. For the two games he wasn't McNabb has crappy WRs. Witten is a better TE when he actually gets to go out for passes. Bledsoe in a down the field offense completed a higher percentage of his passes than McNabb did in the dink and dunk WCO offense known for producing ridiculously high QB ratings.

Sounds like you really thought the combination of Terry Glenn and Key sucked. Plus 22% of time, McNabb didn't even have TO on the field, let alone any competent #2 receiver.

McNabb did suck last year. That doesn't come from us but Philly fans. He fought through injuries, was wildly inaccurate on even short passes and turned a lot of his teammates off.

He "sucked" and still had a better passer rating than Bledsoe... oh yeah I forgot-- that's using a "flawed" measuring device. Yet I see no one lining up to give us anything better.

I have no problem with 11th to 14th. If everyone is healthy and playing well that just might be about right. I'd probably put him 8th or so if I knew the health status of some of the other guys going into the season.

See, I'm getting closer to convincing you. ;)

It can dang sure make someone NOT a top 10 QB which is the point. I can't rank guys coming off of broken legs above a guy who is healthy until I at least see them on the field again. Torrin Tucker sucked long before Drew Bledsoe arrived in Dallas. Jacob Rogers tapped out before he even blocked for Bledsoe. Rivera hurt his back before game 1. But if it helps you to sleep better at night we'll blame their play as a unit on Bledsoe. The Bills did the same then ended up cutting half the OL the next year anyways.

I don't think I ever said that the offensive line had nothing to do with it. Of course it did... of course it was a below average unit. But it would be nice if a Drew-supporter would standup just once and say, "You know I really like Drew as a QB but I think his slow setup and slow reads caused several of our sacks last year". JT I think that would be a very responsible and honest position to take-- don't you?

No one is asking you to. In fact I have no desire to drag out any compliment or credit towards Bledsoe at all. You thought he sucked when he signed and only begrudgingly gave him any credit even when he was the NFL's offensive player of the month. Maybe you are right and maybe you are wrong. No sense worrying too much over that as the proof will be in the pudding.

That's true. I think my evaluation of the guy has been spot-on from day one. Yeah, some view that as negative. I view it as "honest", without any Drew-love spin attached. I said last year that if Drew was a 85.0 rated QB I would be very happy. He came close but no cigar.

No homering out there for me. I simply can't in good faith list Manning high after watching his playoff meltdowns and the way he has handled his criticism of teammates puts him about 1 notch above Terrell Owens. He had Edge, Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Stokley, Dallas Clark and was still crying and blaming everyone else when he tossed picks. How many QBs had a cast as good his his??? And he has managed to win exactly how many playoff games in 8 years? I have no problem ranking Manning much lower than most and honestly do not fear him this year facing the Boys. He is just as OL reliant as Bledsoe but more easily flustered because he's not used ot getting hit. He sucks versus 3-4 defenses that pressure him: See San Diego, NE, Pitt.

I would still take a guy that gets his team to the playoffs and fails as opposed to one that doesn't get to the playoffs period. I guess you missed it, but let me give you the complete story. Over the last two seasons Drew Bledsoe has led a team to the cusp of the playoffs. All they needed to do was win one game... one game. And he failed to do so.

I find it humorous that someone would rate a player higher for failing to get his teams into the playoffs as opposed to someone that did and ultimately failed within the playoffs.

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
I guess that I have to say one more thing on this thread. It is getting long in the tooth, but ---- one thing said that kind of bugs me is the comments about Elway.

I am an old fart by most of your standards. But at the same time, that means I got to watch Elway, Marino, Kelly, and can you say GROGAN play.

These guys were flat out good. Really good. Never was there a mention of Grogan, but if you sat in the stands and watched him play -- darn was he good. He was the best that played in Patriot land before Brady showed up. Maybe that is why I never really liked Bledsoe -- I saw Grogan play. Darn was he good.

Elway used to scare me when he showed up. Come on, win or lose, he was great. So was Kelly. So was Marino.

I do not want to make this too long, but I feel that Kelly should have found a way to win at least one in the three SB's he played in. Darn, tough to be a Buffalo fan in those circumstances. Marino, when he came to town (once a year) I would watch -- scary good. Denver just owned us. Denver in town = loss.

So in my mind, Marino, Kelly, Elway and GROGAN all belong in the HOF. They were great and a joy to watch.

The only other guy that came to town that scared me was McNair. If you watched that guy play, WOW. It kind of bugs me that the Titans have treated him with such disrespect. This guy went over the top for his team and was treated like ---- , well not too good. McNair. Air McNair, another champ.

Sorry, I just read this and it is all about AFC QB's. It is what I follow and what I know.

But as far as current QB's, Palmer is the only guy that lights it up for me other than Brady. This guy is flat out good. I only hope that his injury does not impact his future performance in the NFL. Darn Steelers. Did they deserve the SB last year --not. It was a gift.

Well, next year is next year. Should be interesting with you folks and TO. Me I would take Glenn back in a heartbeat. Another guy that is flat out good.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
I guess that I have to say one more thing on this thread. It is getting long in the tooth, but ---- one thing said that kind of bugs me is the comments about Elway.

I am an old fart by most of your standards. But at the same time, that means I got to watch Elway, Marino, Kelly, and can you say GROGAN play.

These guys were flat out good. Really good. Never was there a mention of Grogan, but if you sat in the stands and watched him play -- darn was he good. He was the best that played in Patriot land before Brady showed up. Maybe that is why I never really liked Bledsoe -- I saw Grogan play. Darn was he good.

Elway used to scare me when he showed up. Come on, win or lose, he was great. So was Kelly. So was Marino.

I do not want to make this too long, but I feel that Kelly should have found a way to win at least one in the three SB's he played in. Darn, tough to be a Buffalo fan in those circumstances. Marino, when he came to town (once a year) I would watch -- scary good. Denver just owned us. Denver in town = loss.

So in my mind, Marino, Kelly, Elway and GROGAN all belong in the HOF. They were great and a joy to watch.

The only other guy that came to town that scared me was McNair. If you watched that guy play, WOW. It kind of bugs me that the Titans have treated him with such disrespect. This guy went over the top for his team and was treated like ---- , well not too good. McNair. Air McNair, another champ.

Sorry, I just read this and it is all about AFC QB's. It is what I follow and what I know.

But as far as current QB's, Palmer is the only guy that lights it up for me other than Brady. This guy is flat out good. I only hope that his injury does not impact his future performance in the NFL. Darn Steelers. Did they deserve the SB last year --not. It was a gift.

Well, next year is next year. Should be interesting with you folks and TO. Me I would take Glenn back in a heartbeat. Another guy that is flat out good.
You're a flat out good poster. Straight football takes with thought applied. I hope you'll come around a lot more.

bewareofdware

Reaction score
roethlisberger sucks people he only wins cuz they are always runnin and when he has to pass it is either to hines ward or it is a screen pass

Tom brady could do that on his butt