Top 3 worst management decisions over the years

Institutional rot

Jerry - 36 years - GM
Stephen - 36 years - COO
Charlotte - 36 years - Marketing
Jerry Jr - 36 years - Sales
Spaulding - 31 years - Future GM

Todd Williams - 32 yrs - VP Football Ops
Craig Gliebert - 36 yrs - Travel/Logistics
Jason McCay - 14 yrs - Football Tech
Adam Prasifka - 26 yrs - Salary Cap/Contracts
Brian Wansley - 31 yrs - Player Development
Will McClay - 25 yrs - VP Personnel
Jim Maurer - 37 yrs - Head of Training
 
So during the entire ownership of the Dallas Cowboys via Jerry Jones, which are the top 3 worst decisions by management since the Jones' have owned the Cowboys? Here are mine:

1. Firing Jimmy Johnson following back to back Superbowl wins.
2. Not doing a single thing to get Adrian Peterson into a Cowboys uniform, a guy that called Jones and made it clear he has always wanted to be a Cowboy, and a guy who proved he could carry an entire team on his back as he repeatedly proved he was a wrecking machine of a runner.
3. I am so disgusted by the first 2 on the list that my head is spinning so much I cannot even think about a 3rd.

Let's hear your 3. Or will the management here crush the freedom of speech I put my *** on the line to protect in multiple wars and countless missions?
1. Johnson resigned on March 29, 1994, rather than Jones firing him. Johnson wrote down he was only to be in Dallas 5 years. Allowing him to leave was Jerry's biggest blunder.

After that (in any order):

1. Not getting AP, not drafting Randy Moss, not getting D. Henry
2. The Joey Galloway trade.
3. The Roy Williams trade and new contract.
4. Keeping Jason Garrett as HC for so long.
5. No succession plan for replacing Troy Aikman.
6. The 2020 defensive roster/coaching failure.
7. Not drafting T.J.Watt. Instead, we got a blah Taco.

And there's a bigger theme in all these decisions: The GM Jerry Jones and his unqualified ability to make personnel decisions while also retaining final control over football operations when he has no expertise to do that either.
Firing Jimmy - Beyond stupid

Hiring Garrett - Wasted a decade with that fraud

Drafting Taco over Watt

Chasing Parcells away and giving a SB team to Wade Frigging Phillips

The "Special Teams Draft" - One of the worst in NFL history.

Hiring Brian Shottenheimer - Because NO ONE else would even consider it

Not going all in on Romo's and Dak's rookie deals - Cheap QB would have been the time to spend big

Even mentioning drafting Johnny Cocaine

Not one but 2 WRs for multiple top picks. I mean didn't he learn.

I could go on and on and on.

The Jones family ruined the Dallas Cowboys.
I love life and I'm just about happy all the time, but damn, you guys are making it hard. Lol How can you argue against any of these points. Damn. This is why I'm a fan of that big, beautiful blue star and not much else. Oh! Michael Irvin. I love me some Michael Irvin. I give Jerry credit for one thing. He's the one who hired Jimmy. That's all I can think of. Wow. I'll go cry now. Thanks, guys. :(
 
Not really. That's the narrative the scouts started so they'd get bigger contracts. And Dak has the biggest and was not last to act.
I don't care who started it and how successful it has been. quarterback compensation patterns will increase unless the lesser Compensated players come to their senses.They have the greater voting block and can bring changes to benefit themselves
 
I don't care who started it and how successful it has been. quarterback compensation patterns will increase unless the lesser Compensated players come to their senses.They have the greater voting block and can bring changes to benefit themselves
Good point.
 
I think limiting it to top three bad decisions is impossible because there have been so many.
I am going to limit mine to my top three the last three years.
#1 Dak Contract
#2 Trading Parsons
#3 Not signing Henry after he basically said he wants to be a Cowboy.

Honorable mentions:
Ignoring free agency
Hiring Schotty
Hiring bad DCs
Seriously? Not the 4th rounder for Trey Lance, Steele’s $86 million extension, waiting to extend Lamb?
 
So during the entire ownership of the Dallas Cowboys via Jerry Jones, which are the top 3 worst decisions by management since the Jones' have owned the Cowboys? Here are mine:

1. Firing Jimmy Johnson following back to back Superbowl wins.
2. Not doing a single thing to get Adrian Peterson into a Cowboys uniform, a guy that called Jones and made it clear he has always wanted to be a Cowboy, and a guy who proved he could carry an entire team on his back as he repeatedly proved he was a wrecking machine of a runner.
3. I am so disgusted by the first 2 on the list that my head is spinning so much I cannot even think about a 3rd.

Let's hear your 3. Or will the management here crush the freedom of speech I put my *** on the line to protect in multiple wars and countless missions?
Over the years? We need Doc Brown's Delorean to reach back this far.....
5d0d53549f49595a8b1e02fc4cf53bde.gif
 
1.
Not hiring a real GM

2.
Holding on the Jason Garrett for too long

3.
Promoting Rod Marinelli to Defensive coordinator and keeping him as as Defensive Coordinator for five years
 
Firing Jimmy - Beyond stupid

Hiring Garrett - Wasted a decade with that fraud

Drafting Taco over Watt

Chasing Parcells away and giving a SB team to Wade Frigging Phillips

The "Special Teams Draft" - One of the worst in NFL history.

Hiring Brian Shottenheimer - Because NO ONE else would even consider it

Not going all in on Romo's and Dak's rookie deals - Cheap QB would have been the time to spend big

Even mentioning drafting Johnny Cocaine

Not one but 2 WRs for multiple top picks. I mean didn't he learn.

I could go on and on and on.

The Jones family ruined the Dallas Cowboys.
That special teams draft- no words.
 
So during the entire ownership of the Dallas Cowboys via Jerry Jones, which are the top 3 worst decisions by management since the Jones' have owned the Cowboys? Here are mine:

1. Firing Jimmy Johnson following back to back Superbowl wins.
2. Not doing a single thing to get Adrian Peterson into a Cowboys uniform, a guy that called Jones and made it clear he has always wanted to be a Cowboy, and a guy who proved he could carry an entire team on his back as he repeatedly proved he was a wrecking machine of a runner.
3. I am so disgusted by the first 2 on the list that my head is spinning so much I cannot even think about a 3rd.

Let's hear your 3. Or will the management here crush the freedom of speech I put my *** on the line to protect in multiple wars and countless missions?
AD?????

You must have really wanted an Peterson Cowboys jersey because he was mediocre after leaving Minnesota
 
So during the entire ownership of the Dallas Cowboys via Jerry Jones, which are the top 3 worst decisions by management since the Jones' have owned the Cowboys? Here are mine:

1. Firing Jimmy Johnson following back to back Superbowl wins.
2. Not doing a single thing to get Adrian Peterson into a Cowboys uniform, a guy that called Jones and made it clear he has always wanted to be a Cowboy, and a guy who proved he could carry an entire team on his back as he repeatedly proved he was a wrecking machine of a runner.
3. I am so disgusted by the first 2 on the list that my head is spinning so much I cannot even think about a 3rd.

Let's hear your 3. Or will the management here crush the freedom of speech I put my *** on the line to protect in multiple wars and countless missions?
Passing on Randy Moss in the draft.

#1 buffoon move
 
Mo tradeup
Consistently wasting 2nd round picks
Falling for draft fluff(Escobar for example)
Ignoring the DT and S positions until the mid/late rounds and then making questionable picks
Horrific player evaluations(Mazi, Kelvin, Schoonmaker)
Paying the wrong players(Diggs/Bland/Crawford/Jaylon)
Refusing to hire legit NFL personnel
Spot on. What's indicative of this fan bases values to me is that two posters mentioned non of these, yet mentioned not signing Adrian Peterson when he was over the hill
 
Mo tradeup
Consistently wasting 2nd round picks
Falling for draft fluff(Escobar for example)
Ignoring the DT and S positions until the mid/late rounds and then making questionable picks
Horrific player evaluations(Mazi, Kelvin, Schoonmaker)
Paying the wrong players(Diggs/Bland/Crawford/Jaylon)
Refusing to hire legit NFL personnel
Some clarification: How would you seperate draft fluff from horrific player evaluations. Without knowing, I think Mazi could be "fluff"
 
Jimmy johnson
Randy moss
Jason Garrett
Andy Reid/Jim Harbaugh/Sean Payton
Adrian peterson
Derrick Henry
Dave Campo
Ever Voting to renew Roger Goodell
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,038
Messages
14,658,731
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top