Twitter: Top 5 QB's in Cowboys history according to Brandt, Sham, Laufenberg, etc

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Being better than White doesn't make him great. He was still just a very good QB.

That's fair. I think Romo could have been great on better teams, but I can't prove it. The lack of playoff success by the team keeps him from being acknowledged as a great IMO. But the lack is there, so no, I don't expect others to consider him to be great.

I can argue numbers, point out what caused us to lose each playoff games, etc., until I'm blue in the face and there's no way that I can convince some that he was great because of the lack of playoff success by the team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No. It's still a matter of team play. It's easy for everyone to acknowledge that Dilfer got to the Super Bowl because of team play. It should also be easy to acknowledge that White got to championship games because of team play.

You could even say that Baltimore won despite Dilfer. I won't go that far with White, but I do believe those teams would have accomplished even more with a better QB.
But the Cowboys did NOT have a better QB. That's what you're missing. The Cowboys brought in other QBs during that 80s era, but they did not turn out to be better than Danny White.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wouldn't, look at what White did in the playoffs compared to Romo.

White won more playoff games but he had his share of problems in the playoffs. Romo will best be remembered for his bobbled snap in the playoffs against Seattle in 06 and White will best be remembered for his fumble in the final minute against San Francisco in the 81 NFC title game. Both QBs were known for untimely mistakes and turnovers. White did play on better teams and played under a great HC.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
"Meredith's grit was legendary, maybe even other-wordly.

"Against Washington in 1966, he drove the Cowboys 85 yards for a game-winning field goal with a punctured lung. He could hardly breathe, much less call signals in the huddle. But he still threw for 406 yards that day.

"Legendary Cowboys coach Tom Landry often said Meredith was "the toughest player I ever coached." It's not often a quarterback is considered the toughest guy on the field."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-the-original-unappreciated-great-quarterback
When it comes to Romo in the top 5 over Staubach, Aikman, White, Meredith, and Prescott...Turn off the Lights on Romo the party is over...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
But the Cowboys did NOT have a better QB. That's what you're missing. The Cowboys brought in other QBs during that 80s era, but they did not turn out to be better than Danny White.

I agree that the Cowboys didn't. I don't think that makes White great and I don't think it means we wouldn't have done better than we did with a better QB.

That's the thing for me. I think there's a difference in acknowledging that we got to three NFC championships WITH White as QB and saying we got to three championships BECAUSE White was quarterback.

The first statement says that he was part of the success no matter how much of a role he played or didn't play in it. The second gives him credit that I don't think he deserves. The defense saved our hide when those playoff victories could have unraveled because of White's problems with turnovers. Holding opponents to 0, 13 and 17 points allows your quarterback some cushion to not be flawless.

That doesn't mean the defense was flawless, either. After holding the Rams to 13 points in a blowout in the wild card in 1980, the defense gave up 27 to Atlanta and if it were not for White and the offense, Dallas would not have advance. But again, if the defense had been terrible in the first game, then Dallas would possibly have been one and done because those turnovers by White would have meant something. The playoffs crashed in the championship, though, when White and the offense mustered only seven points.

In 1981, the defense gave up zero points in the divisional game, so any good QB could have likely won that one. Then, there was the San Fran game where the defense wasn't good enough and the offense couldn't keep pace. Considering how many turnovers we got in that game, it shouldn't have been close.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No. It's still a matter of team play. It's easy for everyone to acknowledge that Dilfer got to the Super Bowl because of team play. It should also be easy to acknowledge that White got to championship games because of team play.

You could even say that Baltimore won despite Dilfer. I won't go that far with White, but I do believe those teams would have accomplished even more with a better QB.

Well, in terms of "better QB", I think that can be said for any team, any situation, but the problem is, what constitutes better? I look at White, and I don't want to make this thread about Danny White but, in the San Fran game, The Catch wasn't the end of that game. Danny drove us back down the field and he has a chance to actually win that game at the end. Problem was, the team failed. White makes a perfect throw to Pearson with a minute left or so and it's only a finger tackle that prevents the TD there. I mean, it's that close. White has a receiver downfield on the next play that, at worst, gets you into FG range and perhaps a TD and the OL gives up a sack there. It wasn't all on Danny. If Pearson doesn't go down on a fingertip tackle and if the OL doesn't give up a sack, Danny is viewed very differently IMO.

johneric8

Reaction score
Okay so I've read though many of these pages and I have to say that I think many of you have a skewed way of judging Qb's..
First and foremost I trust Gil Brandt and his eyes more than most of you so let me explain.

For one thing, I'm a great salesman, but have worked for losing companies so no matter great I was the team was lacking.
This is prescott. Brandt sees Prescott and all the things that he can do and puts him right behind Aikman and that makes total
sense!

Dak has the arm to make all needed throws, he can run, he is tough and strong, and he has the "It" factor in terms of a leader.
Lets not forget he is tough as nails. Sure Romo could pull a rabbit out of the hat but he also could lose you lots of games because
of his gambling nature. I've seen Dak make incredible plays as well so he has it in him.

I don't think you can just make it as simple as how many playoff games has Dak won, just like you can't just look at his stats
and surmise he is on pace to be the greatest cowboys passer ever.

Bottom line, Brandt sees a QB with more talent than most! He is better than Romo overall and that is easy to see. Remember,
it's not just about accuracy, that is important but that wasn't enough for Romo was it? Heck, Aikman was accurate, and was a great
leader but he lacked in many areas Dak excelled.. If Dak wins two super bowls he moves into the #1 or 2 position based on his overall talent.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don Meredith was best known as a football player for his toughness. He played on some bad Cowboy teams during the franchises early years and took a real beating. In 1966 against Washington he drove the Cowboys 85 yards for a game-winning field goal with a punctured lung. He was named NFL player of the year that season. He’ll always be best remembered as a broadcaster on Monday Night Football.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dak has literally been worse than Romo in every single way in his first four years. And while you’re babbling about getting out of wild card rounds and divisional rounds... how has Dak done there, troll?
Also Meredith played in 2 championship games while only having 1 playoff win in his career. I’ll let you work out how that happened and see if you’re still as impressed afterwards. Nice troll attempt though.
Go study before you say you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. Romo over Meredith or Danny White is sacrilegious for true Cowboy fans. Also, before you call someone a troll, look up the definition, and then go look in the mirror.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Okay so I've read though many of these pages and I have to say that I think many of you have a skewed way of judging Qb's..
First and foremost I trust Gil Brandt and his eyes more than most of you so let me explain.

For one thing, I'm a great salesman, but have worked for losing companies so no matter great I was the team was lacking.
This is prescott. Brandt sees Prescott and all the things that he can do and puts him right behind Aikman and that makes total
sense!

Dak has the arm to make all needed throws, he can run, he is tough and strong, and he has the "It" factor in terms of a leader.
Lets not forget he is tough as nails. Sure Romo could pull a rabbit out of the hat but he also could lose you lots of games because
of his gambling nature. I've seen Dak make incredible plays as well so he has it in him.

I don't think you can just make it as simple as how many playoff games has Dak won, just like you can't just look at his stats

Bottom line, Brandt sees a QB with more talent than most! He is better than Romo overall and that is easy to see. Remember,
it's not just about accuracy, that is important but that wasn't enough for Romo was it? Heck, Aikman was accurate, and was a great
leader but he lacked in many areas Dak excelled.. If Dak wins two super bowls he moves into the #1 or 2 position based on his overall talent.

Well, at the end of the day, it is really all about money. That's what we will either sink or swim with.

kskboys

Reaction score
When it comes to Romo in the top 5 over Staubach, Aikman, White, Meredith, and Prescott...Turn off the Lights on Romo the party is over...

If you're considering short term players, LeBaron and Cunningham were very good.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

sense!

Well said and explained why Brandt placed Dak in his top 5 QBs in Cowboys history.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Go study before you say you are a Dallas Cowboys fan. Romo over Meredith or Danny White is sacrilegious for true Cowboy fans. Also, before you call someone a troll, look up the definition, and then go look in the mirror.

Then so is Dak by your own logic, troll.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

It's amazing how he hasn't been suspended yet for calling so many posters names.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not from your lack of crying to the mods, that’s for sure. What’s funny is that you do it yourself, so I’m sure the hypocrisy is not lost on our esteemed staff.
Quit kissing but. I'm not crying to the mods. Just stating a fact for all to see. Quit calling people names, and maybe someone like me wouldn't have to retaliate against you.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That's fair. I think Romo could have been great on better teams, but I can't prove it. The lack of playoff success by the team keeps him from being acknowledged as a great IMO. But the lack is there, so no, I don't expect others to consider him to be great.

I can argue numbers, point out what caused us to lose each playoff games, etc., until I'm blue in the face and there's no way that I can convince some that he was great because of the lack of playoff success by the team.

I am fully aware reasons why we lost each playoff game. But one thing I've noticed when these discussions come up is there are 2 lists depending upon the poster. It's either A. Everyone's issues but Romo's or B. Romo's issues. I still haven't found anyone who will simply list ALL of the reasons we lose each game. It seems everyone wants to boil it down to a few key moments (e.g. Crayton drop pass, Murray fumble) or a high level issue (defense sucked or offensive line sucked).

So my guess is that you would like to point out reasons that don't including Romo for why we lost those important games until you're blue in the face. And your reasons wouldn't be invalid. It would just be incomplete.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Regular season passer rating, adjusted for era.

Code:
Rk            Player From   To Rate+
1    Roger Staubach* 1969 1979   121
2          Tony Romo 2004 2016   116
3        Danny White 1976 1988   111
4       Craig Morton 1965 1974   110
5       Dak Prescott 2016 2019   110
6       Troy Aikman* 1989 2000   106
7       Don Meredith 1960 1968   105
8      Quincy Carter 2001 2003    86

Gotta admit that Cowboys fans have been mostly spoiled by good to great QB play since 1961.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am fully aware reasons why we lost each playoff game. But one thing I've noticed when these discussions come up is there are 2 lists depending upon the poster. It's either A. Everyone's issues but Romo's or B. Romo's issues. I still haven't found anyone who will simply list ALL of the reasons we lose each game. It seems everyone wants to boil it down to a few key moments (e.g. Crayton drop pass, Murray fumble) or a high level issue (defense sucked or offensive line sucked).

So my guess is that you would like to point out reasons that don't including Romo for why we lost those important games until you're blue in the face. And your reasons wouldn't be invalid. It would just be incomplete.

Well, to be fair, there are posters on here who absolutely boil it down. Those posters, in my mind, are the ones who simply look to win loss records and go from there.

The problem is that a lot of fans don't want to hear that.