Tournament Idea Thread 3 (Best Movie Villain Point Totals | Post 304)

What is your definition of 'movie villain'?

• Live action, overly altered human appearing actor (ex: The Predator, Davey Jones)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live action, special effects/CGI based artificial performer (ex: shark in Jaws, Thanos)

• Animation based artificial performer (ex: The Red Hood, Scar)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyec

Reaction score
If we go the movie villain route, does that include monsters and creatures or just people(a character)? Way too many options to include everything IMO.
dracula
frankenstein
wolfman
gort(the day the earth stood still)
creature from the black lagoon
king kong
godzilla
ALL heroes in my book.
it was the PEOPLE in those flicks who were the villains.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
dracula
frankenstein
wolfman
gort(the day the earth stood still)
creature from the black lagoon
king kong
godzilla
ALL heroes in my book.
it was the PEOPLE in those flicks who were the villains.
Well good, then we shouldn't see those names on your villain list.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we go the movie villain route, does that include monsters and creatures or just people(a character)? Way too many options to include everything IMO.
Unlike movie genres, my opinion is literal for 'villain' in entertainment or literature. Like the definition, "Villain (noun) a character in a story or play who opposes the hero", the term covers anyone or anything serving as an antagonist in a story for me.

American Film Institute polled "1,500 directors, actors, screenwriters, critics, historians and others" to choose 50 movie heroes and 50 movie villains for its America's 100 Greatest Heroes & Villains. AFI categorized movie villains as:

"Characters that movie goers love to hate - and hate to love. Villains are characters whose wickedness of mind, selfishness of character and will to power are sometimes masked by beauty and nobility. Others rage unmasked. Daring the worst to gain the most, the movie villains we remember best can be horrifically evil, merely sleazy or grandiosely funny, but are usually complex, moving and tragic. For voting purposes, AFI defined a "villain" as a single character, a duo or a team of characters." (click paragraph for full website text)

Some nonhuman (appearing) acting AFI villain finalists were:

10. The Queen, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
13. Hal 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
14. The Alien, Alien (1979)
18. The Shark, Jaws (1975)
27. Martians, The War Of The Worlds (1953)
39. Cruella De Vil, 101 Dalmatians (1961)

Some of the 400 nominees not voted as Top 100 were:

Birds, The Birds (1963)
The Blob, The Blob (1958)
Gill-Man, Creature From The Black Lagoon (1954)
Maleficient, Sleeping Beauty (1959)
The Predator, Predator (1987)
The Thing, The Thing (From Another World 1951)

And before someone asks, the answer is yes. I do see all of those Alfred Hitchcock feathered fiends as villains. Yep. There was a need for shotguns in that movie. And plenty of shells. LOTS of shells...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I am going to cry foul or fowl if this tribute to "The Bird" continues. The nominee list is too weak with only half getting 1 or less votes. One didn't even get the vote of the person who brought it up, it got an aught. That's the technical term for 0.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, I am going to cry foul or fowl if this tribute to "The Bird" continues. The nominee list is too weak with only half getting 1 or less votes. One didn't even get the vote of the person who brought it up, it got an aught. That's the technical term for 0.
lol. Well the problem is partially due to the small number of voting members thus far.

Some of the problem lies in lack of visibility. Most members log onto the site for the Fan Zone or simply lurk in that forum without logging on. To be honest, sticky threads are not encouraged but are necessary for communicating vital information to the membership at times.

So much stuff is happening now that the Fan Zone has multiple, almost "semi-permanent" sticky threads posted. If not for that, I would be sorely tempted to post even a temporary sticky in the site's most popular forum to advertise these tournaments. There may not be a huge uptick in participation but there would be more eyeball traffic for certain.

I think the other part of the problem may be simply that a member who nominated an idea considered someone else's as a better idea. Maybe that would not be the case if the polling was not restricted to ten total options only though.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Unlike movie genres, my opinion is literal for 'villain' in entertainment or literature. Like the definition, "Villain (noun) a character in a story or play who opposes the hero", the term covers anyone or anything serving as an antagonist in a story for me.

American Film Institute polled "1,500 directors, actors, screenwriters, critics, historians and others" to choose 50 movie heroes and 50 movie villains for its America's 100 Greatest Heroes & Villains. AFI categorized movie villains as:

"Characters that movie goers love to hate - and hate to love. Villains are characters whose wickedness of mind, selfishness of character and will to power are sometimes masked by beauty and nobility. Others rage unmasked. Daring the worst to gain the most, the movie villains we remember best can be horrifically evil, merely sleazy or grandiosely funny, but are usually complex, moving and tragic. For voting purposes, AFI defined a "villain" as a single character, a duo or a team of characters." (click paragraph for full website text)

Birds, The Birds (1963)

And before someone asks, the answer is yes. I do see all of those Alfred Hitchcock feathered fiends as villains. Yep. There was a need for shotguns in that movie. And plenty of shells. LOTS of shells...
I don't think the Alien, Bruce the Shark, or a couple others even match their definition. They aren't evil, power hungry, or selfish. The Aliens are trying to breed, and the shark is a shark, albeit a bit more determined than most.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
lol. Well the problem is partially due to the small number of voting members thus far.

Some of the problem lies in lack of visibility. Most members log onto the site for the Fan Zone or simply lurk in that forum without logging on. To be honest, sticky threads are not encouraged but are necessary for communicating vital information to the membership at times.

So much stuff is happening now that the Fan Zone has multiple, almost "semi-permanent" sticky threads posted. If not for that, I would be sorely tempted to post even a temporary sticky in the site's most popular forum to advertise these tournaments. There may not be a huge uptick in participation but there would be more eyeball traffic for certain.

I think the other part of the problem may be simply that a member who nominated an idea considered someone else's as a better idea. Maybe that would not be the case if the polling was not restricted to ten total options only though.
I'd be up for posting a sticky thread in the Members Zone (or even making an invitational post in the Morning Pops thread), but the other zones have so many hateful personalities, I think it could take the fun right out of this.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I don't think the Alien, Bruce the Shark, or a couple others even match their definition. They aren't evil, power hungry, or selfish. The Aliens are trying to breed, and the shark is a shark, albeit a bit more determined than most.
i hate people so im gonna have a hard time coming up with a list of 32 villains.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be up for posting a sticky thread in the Members Zone (or even making an invitational post in the Morning Pops thread), but the other zones have so many hateful personalities, I think it could take the fun right out of this.
There are some that come here for the express purpose of being a jerk but I would think that would be the case with any site that has posters. I am sure there are some that come here that think what we do in the Members and Off Topic Zones is dumb and a waste of time. If not for those two, I doubt I would come here.

You don't learn anything about the posters in the Fan Zone except which are internet tough guys and ********** to people they don't know. It does serve some need within them to satisfy that and I doubt 90% of them are like that in person.

Personally, I am glad some of them don't make it into the Off Topic Zone. They would need to have fun at someone else's expense and that's not what it's all about.

cowboyec

Reaction score

Birds, The Birds (1963)

or just pick the fellas wearin' the black hat.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Other folks, right here in this very thread even, will agree with you. However, there is a discernible differing opinion on what a movie villain is, which is the sum of my two cents. :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
or just pick the fellas wearin' the black hat.
51Pt7UrO9BL._AC_SY400_.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
Other folks, right here in this very thread even, will agree with you. However, there is a discernible differing opinion on what a movie villain is, which is the sum of my two cents. :)
joker....villain...antagonist...loves to bring mayhem into peoples lives...the exact opposite of a clown....and laughs at the pain inflicted.

gort....alien robot....really isnt the villain....he is just an extra-terrestrial robot....A.I.

so....regardless of movie.....ask yourself.

is my potential villain more like the joker.....or gort.

ipso-fatso....solved.

cowboyec

Reaction score
some other GREAT movie villains...
romeo...a fistful of dollars
el indio...for a few dollars more
angel eyes...good,bad & ugly
terrill(red leggs)...outlaw josey wales
liberty valance...man who shot liberty valance
bruce dern in the cowboys
russians...rambo III
long shanks...braveheart