Trade candidates I like to see the Cowboys acquire

plasticman

Reaction score
The Cowboys lost far more than a starting CB when Diggs went down. They lost an elite playmaker. Diggs has the most INT's in the NFL since the day he first played in the NFL. His total takeaways equal 20 when you add in his two forced fumbles.

You don't replace an elite player because you can't. You can replace the reps with another but you can't replace his impact on the field. On 20 different occasions in the past three years, he changed the momentum of a game, heavily in favor of his team.

There is not an available player even close to Diggs impact. There are few in the league in general with Diggs ability and impact. If you think that Payton is going to release his grubby little fingers around Surtain without an emperor's ransom then you are fantasizing

There is not another McCafferty laying in some coach's closet collecting dust. The most realistic opportunity at upgrading the RB talent, the draft, featured several possibilities and the Cowboys let them just walk by one by one in day #1 and day #2

Ertz? Why would you trade and pay a TE on the decline when you have three young TE's with the potential to rise much higher by making each other better by competition?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I know Dak has a "no trade" clause in his contract so you bench him until he agrees to a trade. In fact, you don't even allow him on the facilities, just send him home until he agrees on a trade. This is how it should go next year. Meanwhile, you don't even think about offering that POS QB an extension. Bench him now!

John813

Reaction score
I won’t lie and say I know both linebackers well but it’s funny some think some guy off the street is the answer at LB

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What I’m saying is he’s been a bust so far. I haven’t said he’s going to end up a bust. He does have plantar fasciitis, so maybe that has something to do with why he hasn’t been part of our passing game. I hated the pick at the time and he’s done nothing to change my opinion.
The position has a steep learning curve, they drafted him for his potential as he really wasn’t used much in the passing game at Michigan. Our hope is that he gets better with more reps. Still would love to add a veteran to the group to help their development. Not a progress stopper but one who knows how to play a the position

tm1119

Reaction score
A greatly improved run game would solve many other problems...

Improves:
Pass Blocking
Passing
Keeps the defense rested.
Rested defense plays better vs run.
Better vs run means better vs pass.
I know you love your all-22…do you see Pollard as the problem? Is he missing holes?

When a guy was wildly successful last year and literally only 1 thing has changed, my instinct is to blame that 1 thing. And that’s the play caller. I think McCarthy is just too predictable and vanilla.

Mr_437

Reaction score

There are players I like, but I don't know if they fit with the Cowboys.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I know you love your all-22…do you see Pollard as the problem? Is he missing holes?

When a guy was wildly successful last year and literally only 1 thing has changed, my instinct is to blame that 1 thing. And that’s the play caller. I think McCarthy is just too predictable and vanilla.
Not sure whether Kellen/McCarthy is the better run game caller, however, for the sake of this thread I don't think the RB personnel is the difference maker....it's down to play design and an O-Line, that's struggling.

Carson

Reaction score

There are players I like, but I don't know if they fit with the Cowboys.

I’m telling you, Ertz will improve this offense. Fergy and Schoon are the future, but Ertz improves us this year

Mr_437

Reaction score
I’m telling you, Ertz will improve this offense. Fergy and Schoon are the future, but Ertz improves us this year
I hear ya about the improvement, but the finances are hard to overlook.

Ertz is making $8M per year. For 2024 Ertz makes $8M and he'll be 34 years old. Dalton Shultz is making $6M this season, and he'll be available in the offseason.

Schoon n Fergy put together is much less, at around $2M.

Carson

Reaction score
I hear ya about the improvement, but the finances are hard to overlook.

Ertz is making $8M per year. For 2024 Ertz makes $8M and he'll be 34 years old. Dalton Shultz is making $6M this season, and he'll be available in the offseason.

Schoon n Fergy put together is much less, at around $2M.
No doubt man.

Thats the problem with any of these deals. You either get high cap hits (Ertz, Budda) or guys who will need new deals (Henry, Jeudy)

IMO, this is why Dak has struggled recently. He does not have the consistent drop down security blanket like he did with Schultz

Pass2Run

Reaction score
What kills me is I wanted Chase Brown, but we took Eric Scott Jr. instead.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The first 2 positions you listed the Cowboys have Diggs and Overshown coming back next year. So you want to spend a draft pick for a one year rental? And they just spend a 2nd on a TE 6 months ago.
A lot of these guys are in Madden Mode. They want to trade two 1s for Surtain, and stuff like that. Just make a good roster, and they think that makes them a championship caliber team this year. Screw next year. lol

I wouldn't mind seeing a trade for someone like Saquan.. That would be what the Dr. ordered.

Last edited:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
AARON JONES to DAL for Pollard and a 3rd.

Please. Aaron Jones is wasting away in Green Bay. They refuse to use him

tomsanders921

Reaction score
The first 2 positions you listed the Cowboys have Diggs and Overshown coming back next year. So you want to spend a draft pick for a one year rental? And they just spend a 2nd on a TE 6 months ago.
But isn't Gilmore only under contract this year? I could be wrong.

But he's not getting any younger and he has already lost a step or two. He can't handle big time receivers anymore.

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a young talented corner to pair with diggs going forward

Kumala808

Reaction score
I know Dak has a "no trade" clause in his contract so you bench him until he agrees to a trade. In fact, you don't even allow him on the facilities, just send him home until he agrees on a trade. This is how it should go next year. Meanwhile, you don't even think about offering that POS QB an extension. Bench him now!
Bruh. Stop. You make no sense

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Foreman is pretty terrible. I know he had a nice game today, but he is extremely average.

The best one is Jeudy. But I wouldnt give up more than a 4th- not sure that gets it done for him.

bigE79

Reaction score
Three positions the Cowboys should be targeting, in no particular order:

CB, LB, RB, TE

Jaylon Johnson CB Chicago-l believe last yr of his deal, is he a core player or will they deal him? Cost probably would be a day 2 pick.

D'Onta Foreman RB Chicago-a power back that will be much cheaper then acquiring Derrick Henry.

Josey Jewel LB Denver-has always been a real good 2 down linebacker that excels at stopping the run.

Zach Ertz TE Arizona-definitely has lost a step, but would help our red zone offense and bring veteran leadership to our young positional group.
If we were going to do anything,it would have happened by now,imo

Verdict

Reaction score
I hated the Schoonmaker pick at the time and I’m liking it even less as time goes on. A waste of a pick.