Trade candidates I like to see the Cowboys acquire

krs1bro

Reaction score
Trade deadline......only way it will happen with any position is if they get someone to help on the cheap guys. Non issue.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wish we had an elite TE. Entering the season with three young TE’s I thought our TE situation would be a little better than it has been but Schoonmaker has been a complete bust, and Ferguson has been just okay. Looks like TE could be high on our list next April. I know the Cowboys were high on Sam LaPorta and he’s looked terrific.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I wish we had an elite TE. Entering the season with three young TE’s I thought our TE situation would be a little better than it has been but Schoonmaker has been a complete bust, and Ferguson has been just okay. Looks like TE could be high on our list next April. I know the Cowboys were high on Sam LaPorta and he’s looked terrific.
I disagree about TE being a high priority next offseason, the position has a steep learning curve, very rare to find an instant impact player at the position. Do think adding a veteran to the group will help with their development

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All dependent on price as he would be an expensive rental.
A greatly improved run game would solve many other problems...

Improves:
Pass Blocking
Passing
Keeps the defense rested.
Rested defense plays better vs run.
Better vs run means better vs pass.

tm1119

Reaction score
The first 2 positions you listed the Cowboys have Diggs and Overshown coming back next year. So you want to spend a draft pick for a one year rental? And they just spend a 2nd on a TE 6 months ago.
Yes, at some point I would like to see the front office make a concerted effort to win a SB. Call me crazy, but keeping the status quo to keep losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs isn’t working. I’m not saying give up a 1st or 2nd round pick, but at some point the front office will have to sign a free agent or make a trade to get this team over the hump…or not and Jerry will continue to be happy with the team winning 10/11 games and staying relevant.

And in what world is Overshown penciled in as a starter next year? The kid hasn’t played a regular season down and he already has earned a job and doesn’t need competition?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
A greatly improved run game would solve many other problems...

Improves:
Pass Blocking
Passing
Keeps the defense rested.
Rested defense plays better vs run.
Better vs run means better vs pass.
Don’t disagree of the potential impact but not sure the Cowboys will go all in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
:facepalm:

Yep he isn't anything like Kelce yet. Huge disappointment.
I’m not sure he’s ever going to reach the level of Dalton Schultz. I take it you’re still pleased with him? We’ve played 6 games and he has one catch. :rolleyes: The Cowboys were high on Sam LaPorta and so far he has 29 catches for 325 yards and three TDs. I would trade Mazi and Luke Schoonmaker for LaPorta. Laporta is second in the league behind Kelce in yards. We picked what was the left of the TEs and ended up with nothing so far.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I disagree about TE being a high priority next offseason, the position has a steep learning curve, very rare to find an instant impact player at the position. Do think adding a veteran to the group will help with their development
The Cowboys were high on Sam LaPorta, and so far he’s second in the league behind Travis Kelce with 325 yards. He has 29 catches with three TDs. Schoonmaker has been a complete bust so far. He has one catch in 6 games. Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot had more production as rookies last year at this point. Schoonmaker has been targeted very few times, and a few weeks ago dropped what should’ve been a TD in the end zone. He’s been a huge mistake so far, unless all they want from him is blocking. We could’ve found a blocking TE later in the draft. Hard to have a real good office without an excellent pass receiving TE. Hard to have a real good offense without an excellent pass receiving TE. We need to find a Travis Kelce or George Kittle. All the Cowboys championship teams had excellent pass receiving TEs. We need a real weapon at that position.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And they just spend a 2nd on a TE 6 months ago.
So far he’s been a complete waste of a second round pick. You have to be the only fan out there that’s happy with him. He has one catch for a yard. Lol

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I take it you’re still pleased with him?
What's not to be pleased with? He is doing all he can in a highly dysfunctional offense without the benefit of training camp or preseason and doesn't have a QB who can throw him the ball.

I guess rookies who don't become All-Pros their rookie year are busts.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So far he’s been a complete waste of a second round pick. You have to be the only fan out there that’s happy with him. He has one catch for a yard. Lol
The one catch is more than Kelce had a rookie. Not saying just saying.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What's not to be pleased with? He is doing all he can in a highly dysfunctional offense without the benefit of training camp or preseason and doesn't have a QB who can throw him the ball.

I guess rookies who don't become All-Pros their rookie year are busts.
What’s not to be pleased with? Lol He’s a second round pick and only has one catch for a yard after 6 games. The QB isn’t throwing to him because he can’t get open and he doesn’t trust him. He dropped what should have been a TD a few games ago. No one’s asking him to become an All-Pro as a rookie we just want him to contribute in the passing game. The guy we took in the 4th round last year is better than him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The one catch is more than Kelce had a rookie. Not saying just saying.
You keep mentioning him with Travis Kelce, and I can assure you he’s not going to end up being another Travis Kelce. By the way, Travis Kelce only played one game as a rookie.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The Cowboys were high on Sam LaPorta, and so far he’s second in the league behind Travis Kelce with 325 yards. He has 29 catches with three TDs. Schoonmaker has been a complete bust so far. He has one catch in 6 games. Jake Ferguson and Peyton Hendershot had more production as rookies last year at this point. Schoonmaker has been targeted very few times, and a few weeks ago dropped what should’ve been a TD in the end zone. He’s been a huge mistake so far, unless all they want from him is blocking. We could’ve found a blocking TE later in the draft. Hard to have a real good office without an excellent pass receiving TE. Hard to have a real good offense without an excellent pass receiving TE. We need to find a Travis Kelce or George Kittle. All the Cowboys championship teams had excellent pass receiving TEs. We need a real weapon at that position.
Didn’t like the pick either, but it’s way too soon to say he is a bust or not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Didn’t like the pick either, but it’s way too soon to say he is a bust or not.
What I’m saying is he’s been a bust so far. I haven’t said he’s going to end up a bust. He does have plantar fasciitis, so maybe that has something to do with why he hasn’t been part of our passing game. I hated the pick at the time and he’s done nothing to change my opinion.