Trade Deadline - RB? Ingram?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
LOL JC is injury prone as well. Why do you want him? Think about it....you want to get rid of Murray who you said is injury prone and you want to replace him with another injury prone back? Honestly, I will still take Murray over JC. I don't think defenses would load the box to stop him from running. Lacy is overrated and doesn't have the vision like Murray. Marshawn Lynch quite possibly take him over Murray.

Truth be told there really aren't many top backs in the league now. Therefore, the more reason you try and keep Murray because he's a top back.

I'm speaking hypothetically. There's no way we would get Jamaal Charles. He's not even on the market. I'm just speculating on who might do well behind this offensive line. Nothing more. I'm perfectly fine with DM.

Second, how is Lacy overrated when he's only been in the league two years? Lacy is a power back with wiggle. I like his style.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Then they should sign him for a reasonable contract. I find it funny that people want to already get rid of him even before they've negotiated.

Well, what's reasonable? If the team feels as if 3 Million is reasonable but Murry feels as if 7 Million is reasonable, then that's a problem. I can't say that I have seen a lot of people wanting to get rid of Murray before any contract talks have happened. I think most of what I'm seeing are people looking at options IF, the team can not come to terms with Murray.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Then they should sign him for a reasonable contract. I find it funny that people want to already get rid of him even before they've negotiated.

I think you're misunderstanding us. We're not wanting to get rid of Murray. We're just saying because of the salary cap and because of the value of running backs, if Murray demands a huge contract, would the Cowboys resign him. I hope DM says, "I want to be a Cowboy for life" and takes a contract that will allow us to keep other key players. But if that doesn't happen, I think the Cowboys would be willing to let him go because the investment on this team has not been at the running back position but at the quarterback and offensive line position.

That's all we're saying.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Well, what's reasonable? If the team feels as if 3 Million is reasonable but Murry feels as if 7 Million is reasonable, then that's a problem. I can't say that I have seen a lot of people wanting to get rid of Murray before any contract talks have happened. I think most of what I'm seeing are people looking at options IF, the team can not come to terms with Murray.

A few postings here said that they wanted to trade him NOW because he would command good value. Some already have come to the conclusion he will command a big pay day and thus we need to get rid of him.

My thoughts are why would you want to get rid of him even before he sets a price for himself? Some just don't want to even give him a chance at getting paid and have stated its because of injuries and because he's oline is what makes him productive. Just stating my opinions on the value of trying to keep him, thats all.

I feel that 5 million is reasonable. If he asks for 7 million I think thats too much. But I going to speculate here that Jerry won't let him leave that easily and will probably spend to the 9.5 million to tag him. Maybe it would be worth it since he's injury prone and will push him to repeat his performance next year. We did it with Spencer before. It will also give us an opportunity to use a high draft pick on a runningback. Yes tagging him might be too much. But at least it won't get us in a bind if he asks too much and affords us flexibility.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding us. We're not wanting to get rid of Murray. We're just saying because of the salary cap and because of the value of running backs, if Murray demands a huge contract, would the Cowboys resign him. I hope DM says, "I want to be a Cowboy for life" and takes a contract that will allow us to keep other key players. But if that doesn't happen, I think the Cowboys would be willing to let him go because the investment on this team has not been at the running back position but at the quarterback and offensive line position.

That's all we're saying.

gotcha....I got your point now. Sounds reasonable to me as well and I agree with what your saying.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm speaking hypothetically. There's no way we would get Jamaal Charles. He's not even on the market. I'm just speculating on who might do well behind this offensive line. Nothing more. I'm perfectly fine with DM.

Second, how is Lacy overrated when he's only been in the league two years? Lacy is a power back with wiggle. I like his style.

Ok Im gonna admit Im wrong. Lacy is pretty good. Reminds me of MBIII.

Maybe its because I read that Alabama runningbacks haven't done so well in the NFL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A few postings here said that they wanted to trade him NOW because he would command good value. Some already have come to the conclusion he will command a big pay day and thus we need to get rid of him.

My thoughts are why would you want to get rid of him even before he sets a price for himself? Some just don't want to even give him a chance at getting paid and have stated its because of injuries and because he's oline is what makes him productive. Just stating my opinions on the value of trying to keep him, thats all.

I feel that 5 million is reasonable. If he asks for 7 million I think thats too much. But I going to speculate here that Jerry won't let him leave that easily and will probably spend to the 9.5 million to tag him. Maybe it would be worth it since he's injury prone and will push him to repeat his performance next year. We did it with Spencer before. It will also give us an opportunity to use a high draft pick on a runningback. Yes tagging him might be too much. But at least it won't get us in a bind if he asks too much and affords us flexibility.

Well, I'm not in favor of just trading him without trying to sign him. I'd rather keep him but who knows if that's possible or not.

I will say this. I would not pay him 5 Million a year. I don't think he's worth that. I'd consider 4 Million and a shorter contract or 3 Million for a longer contract. I think 5 is too much.

I would not consider franchising him under any circumstances. We did do it with Spencer and it worked out horribly for us. We ended up paying for a guy who never even played for us. No franchise for Murray if it were up to me. Besides, we may well need the Franchise Tag for Dez. I would hate to be in a position where we are paying 10 Million for Murray, in a cap strapped situation trying to sign McClain, Free, Carter and all the other FA's and not have a tag available if we needed to use it to keep Dez.

That would be the worst possible situation we could put ourselves in. I'm not a fan of tagging Murray.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ok Im gonna admit Im wrong. Lacy is pretty good. Reminds me of MBIII.

Maybe its because I read that Alabama runningbacks haven't done so well in the NFL.

No problem. As much as we all like to pretend, none of us knows everything. :)
Lacy just has to watch out for those concussions. You're right, though. He's like MBIII. They simply plow through people when sometimes you need to get down or run out of bounds. Live to run another down. That's what Murray seems to be getting. He'll go down when he needs to.

conner01

Reaction score

that depends on what you consider reasonable. i think they offered him a reasonable deal but i can't blame him for wanting all he can get. i just don't think he will get huge money on the open market

conner01

Reaction score
Well, I'm not in favor of just trading him without trying to sign him. I'd rather keep him but who knows if that's possible or not.

I will say this. I would not pay him 5 Million a year. I don't think he's worth that. I'd consider 4 Million and a shorter contract or 3 Million for a longer contract. I think 5 is too much.

I would not consider franchising him under any circumstances. We did do it with Spencer and it worked out horribly for us. We ended up paying for a guy who never even played for us. No franchise for Murray if it were up to me. Besides, we may well need the Franchise Tag for Dez. I would hate to be in a position where we are paying 10 Million for Murray, in a cap strapped situation trying to sign McClain, Free, Carter and all the other FA's and not have a tag available if we needed to use it to keep Dez.

That would be the worst possible situation we could put ourselves in. I'm not a fan of tagging Murray.
hard to guess what the market will be with the year he is having but around 4 to 4.5 would be my max and i would want it structured so i could part company in a couple years if he does drop off like history says he will

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
that depends on what you consider reasonable. i think they offered him a reasonable deal but i can't blame him for wanting all he can get. i just don't think he will get huge money on the open market

I don't think he'll get big money out in the market as well because 1. His injury history. 2. Deep draft for runningbacks.

I hate to say this but his history of injuries might be a blessing in disguise. It might sway him to sign a reasonable contract because of it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't think he'll get big money out in the market as well because 1. His injury history. 2. Deep draft for runningbacks.

I hate to say this but his history of injuries might be a blessing in disguise. It might sway him to sign a reasonable contract because of it.

He's well spoken and he is a guy who doesn't find trouble. I think that if he were to put up an MVP type season, he could probably capitalize on some commercial deals that could help him make up some money. I mean, that's a lot of guessing but that's why you pay agents. They are supposed to turn big market players into income in ways, other then just salary from teams. JMO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Ingram gets about the same treatment Murray did before Linehan got here.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think it would be smart to trade a mid-round 2015 pick for a RB this year. We can win now, and need a contingency for the RB position I believe.
A contingency for what? Is there something wrong with the RB corp we already have? Trading for a RB would be wasting a draft pick. If we trade for anything (which I am against) it will be for a defensive player.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
A contingency for what? Is there something wrong with the RB corp we already have? Trading for a RB would be wasting a draft pick. If we trade for anything (which I am against) it will be for a defensive player.

remove murray and yes, something majorly wrong with our RB corp...hence this discussion.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
He's well spoken and he is a guy who doesn't find trouble. I think that if he were to put up an MVP type season, he could probably capitalize on some commercial deals that could help him make up some money. I mean, that's a lot of guessing but that's why you pay agents. They are supposed to turn big market players into income in ways, other then just salary from teams. JMO.

Totally agree. These agents need to be smart and savvy for their players they represent. That's why I think that Suh may not be out of the picture for Dallas because he seems to be more focused on endorsements. Look at the cities he wants to play for - New York, Chicago Dallas.

If jerry was smart he should throw in part of the endorsements he get as part of the deal. Some of them are more lucrative then the usual NFL contract. He should stop dancing around in those Papa johns commercials and give it to his best players that count against the cap. That way everyone is happy and we end up with more cap space.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
At this point and in the future, we will be looking for Spiller types, someone with break-away speed and home run moves to take advantage of a line that routinely puts them in the secondary.

No way in hell, I'd trade for a guy like Ingram.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I actually like Ingram, but define mid-round pick?

He's a focal point in the Saints offense right now...I don't think you're going to pry him away for much less than a 2nd.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking when I said I would for a mid round pick. To me, that is 4th or 5th, and it would likely be worth it to upgrade the roster.

I definitely wouldn't for a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, and a 4th might stop me as well.

So really, to me, this is something that just isn't going to happen. Saints will probably want more than I'd be willing to give up.

But in the 5th round, it is a roster upgrade that would be nice for very little cost. The team really liked Ingram and explored options for moving back into the late first round to get him as a rookie. Dallas probably still likes him and if he came cheaply, might do the deal.

However, he probably wouldn't come cheaply, so this is a moot point.