Trade for a RB or wait for a re-tread?

J-man

Reaction score
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

Would you pull the trigger or wait for a cast off?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This will happen if we don't find one with cuts coming up. This reminds me of the time where we NEEDED to trade for Amari Cooper

I would like the guy from the Jets that went to Pitt, can't spell his name lol

Or the guy that played for Philly a few seasons ago that plays in Carolina

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think the only way you trade is if you lose one, maybe two of your main guys DURING THE SEASON. Even then, I'm only trading a 6-7 round pick.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

I think you're overreacting I think we have a good mix of players they'll figure out which ones to keep and they're not gonna trade for one unless they see a need for it which you can do anytime the first weeks of the season should the need arise but I'd like to see our starting offensive line with scheming and actually game flow to judge the running backs because I think they're gonna be better than you think we don't need a stud running back when is that helped us in the past I mean DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott in their prime did not get us to the promised land I don't see a lot of these dudes with big names winning Super Bowls I see guys like seventh round picks I see guys name acres on winning Super Bowl teams I mean give it a break I mean it would be nice but there's no guarantee what happened to the any running back can can do well in the NFL and given enough carries with a decent NFL line we don't need a high-priced back ohh is that only when Ezekiel Elliott got his contract and every one said it was stupid?

The fact is Pittsburgh starts a guy named Najee Harris who's barely best year is like 4 yards per carry but the man's career is like 3.8 yards per carry he's nothing but an old Ezekiel Elliott in my opinion and somehow he's a starter in this league and you're worried about Rico and zeke and whoever they find a good mix I'm more worried about the offensive line..

Ohh and lastly you're overrating those guys you listed for trades if we were to make a big trade we are very deep at defensive back lots of safeties and corners some young ones that might not make this team or last on the practice squad that's who you would trade if you needed to but I'm saying slow your roll my answer is you wait and see...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Trading for someone is dependent on what’s given up and what talent. A lot of these guys are all the same caliber. In this league you have the first tier guys like McCaffrry….second tier like a Josh Jacob’s or Saquon….there is that third tier of everyone else. No point in trading for everyone else when you got a everyone else already.

I’m intrigued by guys like Breece Hall or Travis Etienne. If they are available.

erod

Reaction score
Running backs are a dime a dozen outside of 2 or 3 in the league.

If there are holes, running backs make yards. If not, they don't. See Josh Jacobs last year.

The only real difference is pass protection, and the ability to take a well-blocked play and take it to the house. Other than that, they're all the same pretty much.

And I'm a running back guy; it hurts me to say that.

rambo2

Reaction score

How about just keeping what they have. They seem to have 1 more than they will be able to keep after they cut Snoop.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'd be pretty shocked if they brought in anyone outside of camp at this point. I think the RB is more a matter of which 4 do they want to keep that are in camp now.
Yeah you just keep what you have see how it works and you can go get a running back whether you make a small trade for one after week two but they're not guaranteed anything literally I believe The Jets and Miami have an embarrassment of riches these guys had frontline starters and still drafted I believe Miami drafted a couple running backs and I know for sure The Jets drafted 2 good running backs there's gonna be some just flat out released or they'll take a seventh round or a 6th rounder for one later we don't need to make that decision until after we see how the offensive line in the run game works in real games when we're scheming... I think running back by committee can work and I don't know why people are all worried about it

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Keep an eye on the Texans and their RBs they have more than a few good ones, someone will be cut at some point.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Our HB's are garbage. Possibly the worst group of backs in the league. People say its not a problem until we are getting under 100 yards a game at three and a half yards a carry.

They definitely should comsider trading for a HB. Rumor was they had some interest in Dameon Pierce after the draft

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Not sure there’s a back worth trading for. We had an opportunity in free agency to bring in Henry or Aaron Jones and we had an opportunity to draft a back and didn’t do it.

rambo2

Reaction score
Our HB's are garbage. Possibly the worst group of backs in the league. People say its not a problem until we are getting under 100 yards a game at three and a half yards a carry.

They definitely should comsider trading for a HB. Rumor was they had some interest in Dameon Pierce after the draft
It's possible that you are entirely wrong in your assessment depending how Zeke does. Rico, Freeman, and Deuce are fine. They can run behind our line and catch the ball out of the backfield.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go trading draft picks for a RB at this point.

-Dowdle deserves a real shot. He has some burst but admittedly not likely to last the season.

-I thought more carries for Luepke was supposedly a thing.

-Peat looks like he has some skills. That’s who I want to see more of.

-Either use Vaughn or cut him already. There really ought to be some sort of role for him.

-Elliott isn’t here to be inactive.

If you add another, where are all these RB touches coming from, and who are you cutting for the roster space?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's possible that you are entirely wrong in your assessment depending how Zeke does. Rico, Freeman, and Deuce are fine. They can run behind our line and catch the ball out of the backfield.
Anything is possible but I highly doubt it. Joe Randle was better than all our current backs in 2015, and our line was much much better and he couldnt run at all. It wasnt until they started using McFadden that we had any running game.