Trade for a RB or wait for a re-tread?

rambo2

Reaction score
Based on what? Freeman has an entire career of behind him where he was mediocre at his peak. Deuce hasnt done anything this preseason he didnt do last preseason before he become unplayable in real games. Dowdle is a good #3 back, but below league average as a #2

If you are sold on these guys, you'd be sold on just about anyone as long as they were on the Cowboys roster
Just watch, if their starting oline stays healthy they will have a good running game.

cowboyec

Reaction score
is there a difference?
if we make a trade...im sure it will be for a re tread.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Is Schrader better than Deuce?
1600 yards against SEC. Dropped over 100 and a TD against UGA and OSU in the bowl game. Not to mention he had 300+ receiving and rushing against Tennessee. Schrader towers over deuce at 5'8 and outweighs him by 40 lbs. Dallas FO was probably confused. They got the wrong Missouri running back. The meant to get Schrader but got Peat instead.

Last edited:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Absolutely not trading for a RB. If the line does their job, the backs we have will be productive. No issue picking someone up if an attractive player becomes available.
The backs we have are not going to be productive no matter who's blocking. Even the 1990s line only looked great when Emmitt was running the ball. Emmitt's backups didn't even look like viable starters behind what many refer to as the greatest offensive line ever.

rambo2

Reaction score
1600 yards against SEC. Dropped over 100 and a TD against UGA and OSU in the bowl game. Not to mention he had 300+ receiving and rushing against Tennessee. Schrader towers over deuce at 5'8 and outweighs him by 40 lbs

Kind of similar to Deuce.

shabazz

Reaction score
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

Would you pull the trigger or wait for a cast off?
2 re-tread RBs on the team is enough

Jerry had at least half a dozen Blue Chip Rbs to pick from in free agency AND a chance to draft one and did neither

What you see is what you will get.....the march toward a better draft pick in 2025 is still on schedule

exciter

Reaction score
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

Think they wait and see what they got and make a decision at trade deadline.
Think they’re focus is backup at 3t!

J-man

Reaction score
I for one don't think we really have any quality backs on the team. Zeke and Freeman are both washed up, Rico is ave. a 3rd stringer at best, DV is a tiny gimmick back whom they won't ever give a real shot at being the man. Davis just doesn't seem to have it and the rest are just camp bodies.

No, I don't think they had any real shot at signing one of the top FAs, they didn't have any $ to spare knowing what they needed for Dak and CDL. Yes, they surprisingly passed on drafting one, although they way the draft played out I understand why they did.

I agree it's not very likely that we trade for one at this point, but I disagree that we shouldn't. Regardless of how much the O-line is improved, a RB who is solid in all phases is still needed. You have to be able to pound it at times, to make yac, to move the sticks and to pass block. I have seen it time after time, where a back up or an ave RB struggles in one phase or another, even behind a good/great O-line.

There are multiple teams with solid RB's down on their depth charts who are in need of o-line and DB help. We have a surplus of decent players at those positions. Not saying they're great players, but they are decent and teams are and will be getting desperate, which drives up their value. I think it would be wise to take advantage of that and go get a missing piece of the puzzle. Why wait until there is a chance of bidding war for the one you want?

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Dallas's run game strikes fear into exactly nobody. I would love to see them bring in a RB after cuts, but I'll be shocked if it happens.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not sure there’s a back worth trading for. We had an opportunity in free agency to bring in Henry or Aaron Jones and we had an opportunity to draft a back and didn’t do it.
Definitely isn't right now. Come trade deadline, maybe, when teams are willing to deal vets.

I would keep an eye on Kamara and actually Aaron Jones - very much an element that Dallas doesn't have.

Fmart322

Reaction score

I never want to trade OL because they are the hardest thing to find late in the season if an injury gets a starter....or so it appears to me anyway.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Definitely isn't right now. Come trade deadline, maybe, when teams are willing to deal vets.

I would keep an eye on Kamara and actually Aaron Jones - very much an element that Dallas doesn't have.
If we make a trade for an RB it won’t be until the season starts. If we realize we have a problem at the position we’ll probably start looking.

conner01

Reaction score
I'd be pretty shocked if they brought in anyone outside of camp at this point. I think the RB is more a matter of which 4 do they want to keep that are in camp now.
It’s gonna be a tough decision if we keep Lupke. Then it’s which 3 at the most and ST could come in as a factor there too

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The backs we have are not going to be productive no matter who's blocking. Even the 1990s line only looked great when Emmitt was running the ball. Emmitt's backups didn't even look like viable starters behind what many refer to as the greatest offensive line ever.
I have never said that "special" players don't bend the general guidelines. :)

But we don't have any special RB's on the roster. I would argue there aren't many in the NFL right now. Ours will be productive if they get blocking.

erod

Reaction score
Our HB's are garbage. Possibly the worst group of backs in the league. People say its not a problem until we are getting under 100 yards a game at three and a half yards a carry.

They definitely should comsider trading for a HB. Rumor was they had some interest in Dameon Pierce after the draft
That's a reflection of blocking, not the backs so much.

See Tony Pollard 2022 versus 2023.