Trade for a RB or wait for a re-tread?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

Would you pull the trigger or wait for a cast off?
Retreat might be cheaper option. Saves money and means more profits for jerry

rambo2

Reaction score
Anything is possible but I highly doubt it. Joe Randle was better than all our current backs in 2015, and our line was much much better and he couldnt run at all. It wasnt until they started using McFadden that we had any running game.
They can run behind our starting line.

CWR

Reaction score
I think you're overreacting I think we have a good mix of players they'll figure out which ones to keep and they're not gonna trade for one unless they see a need for it which you can do anytime the first weeks of the season should the need arise but I'd like to see our starting offensive line with scheming and actually game flow to judge the running backs because I think they're gonna be better than you think we don't need a stud running back when is that helped us in the past I mean DeMarco Murray and Ezekiel Elliott in their prime did not get us to the promised land I don't see a lot of these dudes with big names winning Super Bowls I see guys like seventh round picks I see guys name acres on winning Super Bowl teams I mean give it a break I mean it would be nice but there's no guarantee what happened to the any running back can can do well in the NFL and given enough carries with a decent NFL line we don't need a high-priced back ohh is that only when Ezekiel Elliott got his contract and every one said it was stupid?

The fact is Pittsburgh starts a guy named Najee Harris who's barely best year is like 4 yards per carry but the man's career is like 3.8 yards per carry he's nothing but an old Ezekiel Elliott in my opinion and somehow he's a starter in this league and you're worried about Rico and zeke and whoever they find a good mix I'm more worried about the offensive line..

Ohh and lastly you're overrating those guys you listed for trades if we were to make a big trade we are very deep at defensive back lots of safeties and corners some young ones that might not make this team or last on the practice squad that's who you would trade if you needed to but I'm saying slow your roll my answer is you wait and see...
I agree, to an extent. Najee has had terrible blocking and qb play. They also use Warren, like when we split it with Zeke and TP.

It'll be interesting to see how Najee does this year with a supposedly better line and QB play.

There is a big difference between having a back good enough behind his line and one that is an actual threat. We saw that difference Zekes rookie year. DMC and Alf did fine, but Zeke changed the offense. That certainly doesn't mean anyone like that is or will be available though.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Should we be trying to trade for a decent RB or just sit tight and see who gets cut? I know at this point the FO is probably just content to see who gets cut before they do something but I disagree. I'd rather have the guy here taking reps with our guys and learning our system before the season starts.

I think there are so many teams desperate for O-line help that we could probably land a decent RB for one of our bench guys like Ball, Waletzko, Thomas or Bass.

Ask Will McClay. He knows how other teams RB depth is and who is likely to be cut. During one of the games this week it was mentioned a few teams have really good RB depth and will have to let some good young players go. At this point, I’d rather wait on one of those than trade an asset or 2 for someone who may be similar.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why would u trade?
This is a evaluation year.
We know we don't have a #1.
Let's see if we have a #2,3

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dowdle is the only NFL caliber rusher on the roster. Zeke is basically an extension of the pass protection scheme at this point - he can block, he can catch checkdowns (which often is built into protection schemes), but if he is carrying the ball, he's running like a 4.9. Freeman is a UFL level player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Duece, Freeman, and Rico can run well.
Based on what? Freeman has an entire career of behind him where he was mediocre at his peak. Deuce hasnt done anything this preseason he didnt do last preseason before he become unplayable in real games. Dowdle is a good #3 back, but below league average as a #2

If you are sold on these guys, you'd be sold on just about anyone as long as they were on the Cowboys roster

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Their inaction in the draft and offseason for a quality RB has really left them no choice but to wait for the training camp cuts. Thinking Zeke or Freeman is the answer is idiotic. Doubtful they will seek a trade. Will probably have to go with whoever they have.

Loso86

Reaction score

Well according to most fans here and half the media RBs don't matter they come a dimensional a dozen so rather we trade or wait it won't matter. Might as well wait

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Absolutely not trading for a RB. If the line does their job, the backs we have will be productive. No issue picking someone up if an attractive player becomes available.
I think this is going to be the case. Unless it's a player for player trade just before the cut down date.

StarGazer1

Reaction score
If Khalil Herbert is available, I would try to trade one of our excess DBs or late round picks.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Next years draft class is loaded. Need to wait it out.

Mikexike

Reaction score

We will wait, The o line is a big improvement by replacing tyler. Rico will be the guy!