Trade Gallup before deadline

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Would be pretty stupid to move on from weapons when we’re off to a good start. Gallup is a good receiver and the more weapons we have heading into November, December and January the better. If the Cowboys were to trade him and suffer injuries to their WR core they could be in trouble later in the season. I don’t understand why fans want to weaken the team when we have a chance to really compete this year.

Verdict

Reaction score
This is not as cut and dried either way as some think it is. I am quite sure the Cowboys would like to keep Gallup. But can they afford to re-sign him under the salary cap?

There are multiple moving parts. How much of the cap do you want tied up at receiver? Do the Cowboys view Amari or Gallup as the future of the team? What can you get for him in a trade? What kind of comp pick would he bet us, if any?

How integral do the Cowboys view Gallup in a title run this year? Do the Cowboys view themselves in the SB sweepstakes or a year away? What are the priorities in keeping other players going forward?

There seem to be lots of WR in the draft these days and they aren’t taking forever to contribute like they used to. I really like Gallup, the player, but I really don’t see the team re-signing Gallup unless it’s a very team friendly deal, and I think Gallup will want to be paid.

I would flip Gallup for a 2nd round pick by the trade deadline if the opportunity arose. You would end up with really cheap labor for 4 years with that draft pick and save a ton of cap room going forward that Gallup would be using up if he stays here. I am not sure we win any more or less games if we trade Gallup. Wilson is adequate and the kid that was just activated has some juice as well.

It would not surprise me for the Cowboys to make that bold move. The team might be slightly less this year (but the record without Gallup might not be altered) but that second round pick to use on a player that will be here two more years is SUPER valuable.

Gallup for the rest of this season or the next Diggs in round two next year? Longer term the second round pick is more valuable.

Xavier187

Reaction score
I'll say this if anyone should be traded its L. Collins. With the Way Steele has been playing I'd offer up a package deal to the Falcons. Something like
L. Collins, T. Hill and a 6th rounder in consecutive years for J. Mayfield and G. Jarrett.

Verdict

Reaction score
What would u pay for a WR that has half a season and becomes unrestricted FA and will ask for a ton of money?

Beat bet would be to keep him. Make a run. If he leaves after the season depending on the contract we might get a 3rd round pick.

A team would only trade for Gallup if they think he can be a #1(b) type of receiver. In that event they might trade for Gallup and sign him to a long term deal.

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
No need for him unless you plan cut cooper off-season. I rather have cooper he plays hurt and is a proven #1 - I honestly don’t think gallop is a 1 and maybe not even a #2. If I can get a 2nd or a stud cb/dl player I gotta trade gallop now. Don’t keep him without plan - Wilson can be our #3.
I’ve been saying it for 2years.

stiletto

Reaction score
Damnit it, stop trying to trade away our players.....!!!

FVSTONE

Reaction score
No need for him unless you plan cut cooper off-season. I rather have cooper he plays hurt and is a proven #1 - I honestly don’t think gallop is a 1 and maybe not even a #2. If I can get a 2nd or a stud cb/dl player I gotta trade gallop now. Don’t keep him without plan - Wilson can be our #3.
JJ and Co have been doing a pretty good job drafting players and when that happens you end up with rookie contracts which allows the front office to sign their FAs. Keep Gallop if he's affordable.................

T-RO

Reaction score
I would flip Gallup for a 2nd round pick by the trade deadline if the opportunity arose.

Nobody is going to give us a second round pick for HALF-SEASON RENTAL of Gallup. His contract is up at season's end.

We'll play him, rock with him this year...and get our 3rd round comp in the draft.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

You are down on Gallup but yearn for a stud in a trade?

I largely agree with you, but anything less than a GOOD starter for Gallup is counterproductive.

Verdict

Reaction score
Nobody is going to give us a second round pick for HALF-SEASON RENTAL of Gallup. His contract is up at season's end.

We'll play him, rock with him this year...and get our 3rd round comp in the draft.

I agree that’s the most likely scenario. But I never expected that we would give up a first round pick for Cooper. I am just saying that I would want a second round pick to part with him.

Unlikely someone would rent Gallup…they wouldn’t trade for him and give up a premium pick unless they planned on extending him.

Verdict

Reaction score
It would be more likely that possibly a team might give up a 3rd round pick for Gallup and possibly another borderline starter.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
No to trading Gallup, he’s a baller

we can talk at end of year though

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
So we're not trying to win a Superbowl this year??

CWR

Reaction score
It depends on the return. Because he's been injured, I don't think the offer would be enough to offset his value this season, plus the comp pick.