Trade in the works?

funkytown

Reaction score
Muhast;4518876 said:
How about Mercilus at 22, Zeitler 37 Orson Charles 45. The rest of your mock I'm perfect with.

Hmm. Almost went that direction. I kinda like that one better.

funkytown

Reaction score
Wulfman;4518879 said:
Man, if the Cowboys were to trade down to #22 and then take Coby Fleener, we'd be able to hear Bill Jones' head swell all over the country. That's what he mentioned as his dream mock on Talkin' Cowboys this week.

I really want Fleener for this offense. Add Fleener and Broyles, and this offense will be crazy good.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4518880 said:
I'm gonna call bogus on that trade rumor........that or sheer idiocy in Cleveland.

Looking at the chart of charts.

They'd essentially be giving up an excess amount equal to Dallas 2nd round pick in order to move up 8 spots.
That's about right.
But we all know the Browns have so few needs that they would overpay by a 2nd rounder for the 14th pick. :laugh2:

We have some gullible partners in crime around here sometimes.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
funkytown;4518870 said:
Lets make that trade. Yesterday.

22: Coby Fleener
37: Chandler Jones
45: Amini Silatolu
81: Brandon Boykin
113:Ryan Broyles
118:Josh Norman
135:phillip Blake
152:Jake Bequette
186:Hebron Fangupo
211:Terrance Ganaway
222:Jerry Franklin

I've seen #37 be put in the mid first.

New York Jets: Chandler Jones, DE/OLB, Syracuse

Mel Kiper and Todd McShay were the first to suggest that Chandler Jones would be a first-round pick. Mike Mayock agreed a couple of weeks later. Now, Adam Schefter has joined the fray: "Pass-rushers always are at a premium ... and that likely will help Jones, who is one of the top pass-rushers in this draft. He will be a first-round pick, and on draft day pass-rushers always seem to go higher than people think."

The Jets had Jones in for a visit, and according to ESPN New York's Rich Cimini, the team is looking at Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw and Jones in this spot. The former is off the board, while Upshaw could fall because of his scheme limitations.

So instead, I go Glenn in the 1st, move up from #37 and take McClellan.

JBS

Reaction score
Bones Jones boosted Chandlers status last night

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
fifaguy;4518890 said:
Look for the Browns to take Weeden early.

It definitely won't be early. If they take him, it would be the 2nd first round pick they got from Atlanta.

But I have either Cleveland grabbing him at 23 or whatever they pick, or Miami trading down with New England and taking him at 27.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Bigdog;4518765 said:
Mods please delelete if this has been posted before.

I read this on another board but I was wondering if anyone would take this trade.
According to the Cleveland Plaon Dealer, the Cowboys and Browns have a deal in place if two of the players the Browns covet are there at #14. The Cowboys would receive 22,37,118 and 211 for 14. They said that Holgrem covets Floyd from ND.

I like DeCastro and all, but I'd take that trade and run. I'd do it for just #22 and #37. And if Floyd is their target, pretty good chance he's there at 14.

I had been thinking we'd need to trade down with Denver to pick up a similar kind of deal -- #25(1), #57(2) and #120(4) -- but the Cleveland trade would be much betterer.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
funkytown;4518884 said:
I really want Fleener for this offense. Add Fleener and Broyles, and this offense will be crazy good.

At times it might be.

At other times it will completely sputter because nobody is blocking.

You think Fleener will even get many looks having to stay in and block like Bennett did?

funkytown

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4518904 said:
At times it might be.

At other times it will completely sputter because nobody is blocking.

You think Fleener will even get many looks having to stay in and block like Bennett did?

I trust Garrett and crew to create plays for Fleener. They had no trust in Bennett in that area. Bennett was an above average blocker, thus he was brought in more so for blocking.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I can't see this happening, but just for kicks...

22. Mercilus (OLB)
37. Zeitler (OG)
45. Robinson (CB)
81. Wolfe (DE)
113. Egnew (TE)
118. Blake (C)
135. Carder (ILB)
152. Fangupo (NT)
186. Coales (WR)
211. Adcock (OT)
222. Daniels (S)

Hoofbite

Reaction score
funkytown;4518906 said:
I trust Garrett and crew to create plays for Fleener. They had no trust in Bennett in that area. Bennett was an above average blocker, thus he was brought in more so for blocking.

He was brought in because his supreme athleticism was supposed to create mismatches all across the field.

He was brought in to be a threat in the field, that's a fact. I'm pretty sure I've posted quotes before from Jerry himself who said as much. If the search function weren't limited for whatever reason, I'd take the time to dig them up.

The fact that he blocked well was just a consolation prize for having a guy never develop.

You don't trade a guy after his 2nd year and draft a TE in the 2nd round to solely get better at blocking. Why not just put another OL out there if that's what you are looking for?

Furthermore, you're essentially saying that outcomes determine intentions which is completely ridiculous. Just because he was a good blocker doesn't mean that the team brought him in solely for that. Hell, by this train of thought Dallas intentionally brought Costa in to suck because that's what happened.

Another thread mentioned a scouts take on Fleener's blocking and didn't sound too impressed.

I have little doubt that Garrett could find a play for him but plenty of doubt that Garrett would feel comfortable calling such a play because the OL can't hold up.

I think a lot of people are far too envious of unique situation in New England. People had similar hard-ons for the Wildshat formation until they realized what a complete waste of time it was for a team with a good QB to run.

New England has a unique situation. Trying to emulate that is pointless.

1. They have 1 WR to speak of which allows defenses to focus on Welker.

2. They have an OL that allows them to call any play with total confidence.

Dallas is the complete opposite.

1. Dallas has 2 very good WRs, making it much more difficult for the defense to limit opportunities for them.

2. Dallas has an OL that doesn't allow them to call pretty much any play with confidence. On any given play last year it was likely that one of the 4 guys not named Tyron was going to struggle significantly.

The infatuation with the 2TE package is mind boggling to me.

From the simplest standpoint possible, it obviously only works if you have 2 REALLY, REALLY GOOD TEs.

But, what kind of mismatches can be made if you have 2 REALLY REALLY GOOD WRs?

I just don't see the point. If you have 2 very good WRs or 2 very good TEs you shouldn't struggle at all to be effective.

Packers
Giants
Eagles
Saints
Lions

How many of those top offenses have 2 stud TEs? None. How many have multiple good WRs? Nearly all.

Dallas has multiple good receivers. They do not need a TE to be good. They need an OL, simple as that. This team drafts DeCastro and gets better play from C, the offense will explode.

They draft a TE and only get better play from the C position, they might put up slightly better numbers than they did in 2011 but they'll struggle in key situations like running the ball in the redzone and will ultimate be boom or bust again.

This team does not need a TE. I'm almost entirely sick of seeing the infatuation that has been brought about by one successful team amongst a handful of numerous other successful teams who do not follow the same blueprint.

I'll be entirely disgusted with a TE in the 1st round or 2nd round and I'll be pissed in the 3rd or 4th. Find a role player to fill that position. You do not need to world beaters at the TE position to win in the NFL.

I'm not saying this is you but this is just a general statement.

I cannot believe that the archaic yet widely-prevailing idea that an OG at #14 isn't worth the pick but a BACKUP TE is worth a pick anywhere near the 1st round.

We're talking about an OG who will play every offensive down versus a BACKUP who will only be on the field 50% of the time because the team will be using other packages the other 50% of the time.

Mind-boggling. A small step from insanity, IMO.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Hoofbite;4518891 said:
So instead, I go Glenn in the 1st, move up from #37 and take McClellan.

I wouldn't. There will be plenty of pass rushers available at 37. Curry, Branch, McClellan, one of them will be there if it's a pass rusher you want.

mschmidt64

Reaction score
I believe that we like Konz and I believe that if we did decide to trade down to 22, the only way that Konz wouldn't be our pick is if he went before 22.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
mschmidt64;4518975 said:
I wouldn't. There will be plenty of pass rushers available at 37. Curry, Branch, McClellan, one of them will be there if it's a pass rusher you want.

I don't want Curry or Branch.

I want McClellan and Adding 3 additional picks to the pile gives Dallas plenty of room to move up and have an adequate sized draft class.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Muhast;4518854 said:
Would you take Mercilus and Zeitler over Cox?

I would. I know some may not, but I'd have no problem with it.
yes..

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
This jives with what I posted on Saturday regarding the Browns interest in moving up for Floyd.

That being said, there's no way they would give up all that to move up eight spots unless Ditka is in the warroom. If that's the case, I would make that trade after I was done changing my underpants.

Cards are a darkhorse for Floyd who is a poor man's version of Fitz.