Trade scenerio: Jonathan Taylor for Pollard trade

Jarntt

Reaction score
I love Pollard. I’m not sure I would make the trade but what are people saying here? Taylor is a downgrade? He was basically seen as the best RB in the NFL after 2021 and then got hurt last year. Plus he is 2 years younger than Pollard And we don’t know how much of a load Pollard can handle. At worst it’s a push.

on the trade if he signed a deal that was the same as Henry’s you are looking at a 2023 cap hit of $4.3M from his existing contract, which is a savings of $5.7M from Pollards $10M. Then two years at $12.5M and then you can move on. a little more than I’d like to pay so I’m not sure. Since only two years Its not what I would call a bad deal though If he is healthy and especially if you add in this years contract which makes it $29.3M over 3 years or $9.7M per. Since the cap is going up I might do it If the doctors say he’s healthy. He would only be 27 in his last year of the contract.

Now, let’s say his contract was structured with a $15M SB and then $5M in base salary for the first two years. lets say we split the cap hit of the SB over 3 years to take dead money out of the equation. So, assuming we gave him that deal this year and not Indy, his cap hit this year would be $9.3M ($4.3M base plus $5M of SB) Which would be $.7M in savings from Pollards contract. His cap hit in year 2 and 3 would be $10M (5M base plus $5M of SB). Not too bad. If the offer was on the table once Taylor was playing and shown to be healthy and since Pollard is also coming off an injury and 2 years older I would probably do it.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
forget about that ever happening, but asking for a friend...When was the last time we even have made a trade?

dckid

Reaction score
Taylor agrees to same contract as derek henry. 4 years, 50 million, 25 guaranteed.

Would you do it?
No, Pollard is more flexible and has less mileage. Taylor maybe a workhorse but give me a running back year to year. Unless you have a Chubb, Henry type just keep it simple

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Taylor agrees to same contract as derek henry. 4 years, 50 million, 25 guaranteed.

Would you do it?
again, a big fat no no no.

we paid a RB ton of money and look how it ended up. he turned into a FB.
now, pay another RB a large contract, one who is coming off injury.

show me how many large second contracts have worked out for RBs?

RB shelf life is short. you draft one every 4 years. and move on. at most, exactly what we did, which is a tag for one year.
top 3 teams didn't have a lead RB and did it by comittee. Giants at 4 had Barkley and didn't give him a big contract. next two were philly and browns. neither had a big name RB.

so again, a big fat no, because in this trade scenario we would have to give up a draft pick too.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Love TP, but Jonathan Taylor is a great back who can carry the load.

I dont think it's a stupid idea, however his contract is the issue.

I also won't go as far as to say TP can't be featured. I'd just feel more comfortable with a legit back up, at least until he proves it a season.
Great accurate take.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
…really?
Really. I'd rather have Pollard on committee than Taylor as an every down back. Look up ^ Pollard outplayed Taylor last year and it was not really close.

Maybe it was his ankle and he'll get back to form. We'll see, but as it stands I wouldn't Trade Pollard for him.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So I take a downgrade on RB?
I'm not suggesting this trade would be the right thing to do, but there really isn't any evidence to support the idea it would be a downgrade. In 3 years Taylor has averaged 89 yards per game, 5.1 yards per carry, and 11 rushing TD's per year. He is also a solid receiver

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really. I'd rather have Pollard on committee than Taylor as an every down back. Look up ^ Pollard outplayed Taylor last year and it was not really close.

Maybe it was his ankle and he'll get back to form. We'll see, but as it stands I wouldn't Trade Pollard for him.
If looking at 1 year only, yes, Pollard was better. If looking at the 3 years since Taylor entered the league, that's not the case

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
If looking at 1 year only, yes, Pollard was better. If looking at the 3 years since Taylor entered the league, that's not the case
Pollard has the same YPC & higher yards per reception when you look at their total careers. The only thing Taylor has on him is volume.

Maybe Pollard cant handle the same volume, but I don't need him to.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nope I just wanna go young next year we picked up some young players this year in the draft we go next year and dip again and find us a little bit more traditional running back because we already got some faster ones.... I'm not sure why you guys are so worried about the running back position we just started dumping pay we already paying Pollard $10 million we have 6 million of Elliott 's dead cat still on the next two years it's time to purge all that and go young

it's simple let's go find our next great running back in the draft as we have many times did we not draft Emmett Smith DeMarco Murray Ezekiel Elliott and Tony Pollard?? Now we know you can get players maybe not on their level but maybe have that potential between second and fourth round why would you want to trade draft capital players and money for a guy who's already possibly got too much mileage on him sure he might be good for two years... Let's see what these young guys have we still have all of training camp in preseason to see what we have with the young guys.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard has the same YPC & higher yards per reception when you look at their total careers. The only thing Taylor has on him is volume.

Nothing says Taylor has to handle the same volume either.

Again, I'm not arguing that trading for Thomas would be the better move, but we do know he produces even as the key offensive figure opposing defenses game plan for every week. I'm not saying Pollard can't, but we really don't know that. Pollard has largely been a change of pace guy, and the Cowboy passing game has been better able to take pressure off the run game than the Colts. Bottom line is I don't think we can definitely say he would be a downgrade.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's a lot to be said for "volume". Maybe not every offense is looking to have the running back "leader"...but usually that's who has the most volume. It shows reliability and health.

I get it...this isn;t early 90's Emmitt Smith NFL anymore....but volume does show competence and effectiveness.