Twitter: Trade Trey Lance away or keep him?

conner01

Reaction score
If this rumor is true and the Cowboys are offered draft capital for Trey Lance, what would you prefer the front office do?

Keep Trey Lance and see what we can get out of him and see what he has to find out whether or not he can realistically be the type of starter to get the Cowboys to the NFC Championship game and beyond? And keep him as backup in case Dak stinks it up in the regular season.

Or trade him for picks and use these picks to help rebuild, which would include using those draft picks to select a QB in the 2025 draft in the case Dak isn't the Cowboys QB beyond the 2024 season?

If this was true then why didn’t they trade for him last year?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything on the “How Trey is developing” front, so to presume anything about a trade is just premature. He was traded for as low risk, high reward so he’s going to be kept in development under McCarthy until the team is certain he doesn’t have it or they find someone else who does.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Lance has zero value on the open market. It was even dumb to give up what we did for them, especially to not even use him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
can't get any worse than JAK
Hahahaha. Cowboys fans are ignorant as usual. We won 12 games three straight years. Yes, we fail in the playoffs. But you think it can't get worse? You think Dak is the worst QB in the league? Lmao. It's hard to take people seriously who just talk with their emotions. It can easily get worse. And it did, in 2020 when we were pathetic.

We can absolutely do better but we can absolutely do worse'

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Let's put him in the QB room and have him study for a 5th year...

At some point, the dude just needs to be given a chance to play football. By the Cowboys or by anyone. He's had maybe the strangest career of a top-5 QB ever.

Offsides

Reaction score
Could be the cowboys are starting over after next year with McCarthy and Dak going into last year of deals. Keep him and see what he has in preseason to see if he is worthy of competing for the starting job after next year. If Dak stays long term then Lance won't want to stay is my guess.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Let's put him in the QB room and have him study for a 5th year...

At some point, the dude just needs to be given a chance to play football. By the Cowboys or by anyone. He's had maybe the strangest career of a top-5 QB ever.
rejkn9m.jpg

pansophy

Reaction score
If I had to guess today based on Jerry’s “all in comment” then we don’t resign Dak but do the void options and try to get one more year out of smith and Martin etc. if we fail, maybe we keep McCarthy maybe we don’t, but I bet we blow up most of the team and that could include Dak and go with Trey as a young guy.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If I had to guess today based on Jerry’s “all in comment” then we don’t resign Dak but do the void options and try to get one more year out of smith and Martin etc. if we fail, maybe we keep McCarthy maybe we don’t, but I bet we blow up most of the team and that could include Dak and go with Trey as a young guy.
Great option for a complete rebuild. But way pay Lance $25M in 2025. Might as well draft a QB.

pansophy

Reaction score
Great option for a complete rebuild. But way pay Lance $25M in 2025. Might as well draft a QB.
I just don't trust this organization to draft a good one at the end of round 1. The people Jerry has gotten excited about the last decade like paxton lynch have been duds.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
If many felt that way, you'd think SF would have gotten more than a 4th from Dallas.
Not really because they needed him out asap to avoid a distraction from the media of the situation which was not caused by Lance or any other QB just the media trying to find a story.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Personally depending on what that capital is, I would entertain it, but unless its something nice I would just keep him and continue to develop him or even see what he has this year after a full off season. Paying Dak is not the option because Dak needs others to make him play better not him elevating everyone else to play better. So that means we need to pay others to help his game and we can't do that if we pay the man.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I just don't trust this organization to draft a good one at the end of round 1. The people Jerry has gotten excited about the last decade like paxton lynch have been duds.
Which goes back to how much influence does Will McClay have.