Trade Up For Vita Vea?

GenoT

Reaction score
Washington’s Vita Vea has so far shown well at the combine (225lbs x 41, 5.10secs / 40yds).

The latest NFL.com mock has him going at #17, but he could go higher.

Say, come draft day, he’s still on the board at #15. Would he be worth trading up for?

Opinions?

jday

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a jump up like that would take in terms of Draft Pick Capital.

Vita has been my pet cat since last year; but there are other big bodies in this draft and in Free Agency that would work great with the Cowboys line, so he's not necessarily a have to have...but for the right price, I'd absolutely do it. For me the right price is our first (of course) and a fourth...ideally a compensatory one. Anything higher than a fourth, in my mind, would be too steep if for no other reason than the Cowboys have alot of vacancies to address.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vita Vea is a very talented DT and I wouldn’t be upset if he fell to us at 19, although that is doubtful. However, trading up for Vea is not something I would recommend. IMO, you should not trade up for someone more than a couple of slots unless they are a singular talent, of the All- Pro, ROH type.

Now if your scouts believe this guy is a top 5 talent that is sitting there at 12-16, maybe. Maybe I’m a little gun shy after the Mo Claiborne disaster.

jday

Reaction score
Vita Vea is a very talented DT and I wouldn’t be upset if he fell to us at 19, although that is doubtful. However, trading up for Vea is not something I would recommend. IMO, you should not trade up for someone more than a couple of slots unless they are a singular talent, of the All- Pro, ROH type.

Now if your scouts believe this guy is a top 5 talent that is sitting there at 12-16, maybe. Maybe I’m a little gun shy after the Mo Claiborne disaster.
I completely understand what you are saying, but there is a second reason you trade up. Regardless of how said talent compares to their peers in the draft, if a player will take a unit to another level, you consider it.

Example:

Zeke Elliott is the perfect illustration of what I'm talking about. Granted, you could argue he was also a top 5 talent in the 2016 draft, but for me that pick was more about what he would do for Dallas in particular. I'm not saying Zeke wouldn't find success elsewhere, but pairing him with that offensive line made all the sense in the world.

I think of Vita in that same light. Vita could easily disappear if he is drafted by a team that is in severe need of dline help. But if the Cowboys draft him, it could be devastating for the Cowboys opposition in 2018 because pairing Vita with DLaw and DIrving could very well be unstoppable. So in that light, it's not about how Vita compares to his peers but moreso how much better the Dallas D could be with a true 1-tech, who penetrates and moves off the ball like a 3-tech. It would be ridiculous. So, yes, I'd absolutely consider it for the right price.

The problem is my right price is no more than the Cowboys first and a fourth, because as it stands right now, the Cowboys need to also address Offensive Guard, Safety, Linebacker and Swing Tackle. The Tackle could be found in the midrounds, but unless they address it in Free Agency, the Cowboys will be handcuffed to finding an OG, Linebacker and Safety early.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes. 100%.

Giving up a 3 this year gets us to 14/15.
He is an impact maker on this team no doubt in my mind.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely understand what you are saying, but there is a second reason you trade up. Regardless of how said talent compares to their peers in the draft, if a player will take a unit to another level, you consider it.

Example:

Zeke Elliott is the perfect illustration of what I'm talking about. Granted, you could argue he was also a top 5 talent in the 2016 draft, but for me that pick was more about what he would do for Dallas in particular. I'm not saying Zeke wouldn't find success elsewhere, but pairing him with that offensive line made all the sense in the world.

I think of Vita in that same light. Vita could easily disappear if he is drafted by a team that is in severe need of dline help. But if the Cowboys draft him, it could be devastating for the Cowboys opposition in 2018 because pairing Vita with DLaw and DIrving could very well be unstoppable. So in that light, it's not about how Vita compares to his peers but moreso how much better the Dallas D could be with a true 1-tech, who penetrates and moves off the ball like a 3-tech. It would be ridiculous. So, yes, I'd absolutely consider it for the right price.

The problem is my right price is no more than the Cowboys first and a fourth, because as it stands right now, the Cowboys need to also address Offensive Guard, Safety, Linebacker and Swing Tackle. The Tackle could be found in the midrounds, but unless they address it in Free Agency, the Cowboys will be handcuffed to finding an OG, Linebacker and Safety early.
Well said.
But the Zeke pick did not require a move up. We had the 4th pick so our value at 4 was already high. I’m not opposed to moving up maybe 2-3 spots get Vea, but at some point the cost outweighs the risk. In situations like this we usually assume that the team(s) we need to trade with to move up have a reasonable for that move. Just because we want to move up doesn’t mean we find a reasonable price.

The Mo move cost us a #2 pick which meant when Mo was a bust, we had a bust at two picks that year.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Originally I was all for it, however I have since changed my mind. Knowing what we do about FA and Dallas' lack there of, I am not giving up any resources. We need to come out of this draft with at least 3 starters and depth everywhere. I'm not giving up a 3rd for anyone.
Sit tight and draft what comes to you, and pray its DeRon Payne : )

jday

Reaction score
Well said.
But the Zeke pick did not require a move up. We had the 4th pick so our value at 4 was already high. I’m not opposed to moving up maybe 2-3 spots get Vea, but at some point the cost outweighs the risk. In situations like this we usually assume that the team(s) we need to trade with to move up have a reasonable for that move. Just because we want to move up doesn’t mean we find a reasonable price.

The Mo move cost us a #2 pick which meant when Mo was a bust, we had a bust at two picks that year.
Claiborne is certainly a cautionary tale, so I understand where you are coming from and ordinarily I would agree. But this situation is slightly different. For starters, the cost of that fourth round pick is somewhat mitigated by the fact that we have a compensatory pick, as well. Secondly, we might just be 1 addition to that line away from being dominant upfront for the first time since the early 90's...when the Cowboys reached for Claiborne, they were not a corner away from anything. That's why I say at the price of a 1st and a 4th, I'm certainly considering it and likely pulling the trigger. Anything higher than a fourth paired with that first would be very difficult, dependent on what the Cowboys are able to accomplish in Free Agency.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'd def trade up for Derwin and would probably move up a few sports for Vea

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Vea is still very raw in terms of technique. I don't think he is that much better than Payne who also had a good combine.

Throw in opportunities in the later rounds with guys like Phillips, Settle, Hill, etc and I think it a poor decision to spend extra assets for a single DT.

S and LB are the positions that are shallow and it makes sense to trade up for someone like a Edmunds Smith or James because the dropoff is steep after those guys at their position.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Cnu, you love Derwin probably as much as I do. Would you give up 50 to go get him?

Are extending Hitch and plugging the gap at LG in FA?

Ahhhhh it would be tough but I think he could change our defense so I could probably be talked into it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Are extending Hitch and plugging the gap at LG in FA?

Ahhhhh it would be tough but I think he could change our defense so I could probably be talked into it.

How do you think he would be a catalytic player? What would he do or open up for his teammates?

cnuball21

Reaction score
How do you think he would be a catalytic player? What would he do or open up for his teammates?

Because he's good at everything and extremely versatile.

Coverage versatility, a quality run defender and an effective blitzer.

He's also been noted as an alpha dog in the locker room - great leader and an ability to motivate.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
NO! There’s no college production or combine results to indicate he’s actually going to be any better than 2-3 other DTs. Don’t trade up unless it’s for a guy who is clearly superior to others that would still be there. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that Vea will be better than Payne or Harrison.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
*Depends on cost*

I’d trade up for James, Edmunds, and probably consider Vea.