Trade Up For Vita Vea?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Does anyone know what a jump up like that would take in terms of Draft Pick Capital.

If it's from 19 up to 15, then is costs almost exactly our 3rd rounder.
Our 2nd rounder gets us up to 11 or maybe even 10
Both our 2nd nd 3rd gets us up to 6 or possibly 5 range.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Unless Quentin Nelsen falls to 15 or 16, it aint happening. I see no scenario in which we would move up. Nelsen or MAYBE Ridley would be it.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This is a deep draft at the DT position. There is no need to trade up for a DT, not even Vea.

I'm actually hoping that a QB falls to 19, and Minnesota and Buffalo get in a bidding war to move up and get a QB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The draft gurus talk about draft value and go nuts would a guy is taken higher then the players supposed value.
But when a trade up is involved the value notice just disappears. Why the double standards?

Carter

Reaction score
The Cowboys dont value a Run Stuffing 1 Tech. They said that 100 times. We wont draft a DT early.

LittleD

Reaction score
You only trade up for a "money 5" position player and 1Tech is not one of them. Actually,
Safety is not one either. You might trade up for a WR-1, DE, OT, CB or QB but, nothing else.
You can't have all pro's at every position and you need to maximize those draft picks to build your
team.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
This is a deep draft at the DT position. There is no need to trade up for a DT, not even Vea.

I'm actually hoping that a QB falls to 19, and Minnesota and Buffalo get in a bidding war to move up and get a QB.
If a QB starts to fall why would they wait for the 19th pick to trade up? They would do that closer to 15 IMO.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Washington’s Vita Vea has so far shown well at the combine (225lbs x 41, 5.10secs / 40yds).

The latest NFL.com mock has him going at #17, but he could go higher.

Say, come draft day, he’s still on the board at #15. Would he be worth trading up for?

Opinions?
Wouldn’t have to trade up if we lost to the eagles in the last meaningless game of the year.

tm1119

Reaction score
Don’t forget comp picks are tradeable when factoring trade ups...if we give up our 3rd in a trade up 4-5 spots it shouldn’t be hard to reacuire another 3rd round pick. 1st(14/15), 2nd, 3rd(mid 20’s), 4th comp, 6th, 7th...I think we could still end up with those picks after moving up.

Like most, I prefer to trade back, but I’m not against a small trade up either. And I’m usually against it...I just don’t see 19 1st round picks this year and would rather sacrifice a 3rd to get an impact player. Just don’t do anything crazy and give up our 2nd

dfense

Reaction score
As with Shazier and Donald, I fully expect Vea to go a pick or two ahead of 19.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
If a QB starts to fall why would they wait for the 19th pick to trade up? They would do that closer to 15 IMO.

I've thought about that, and the logical place to trade up to is #18. Seattle has traded back in most of the last few drafts. Also, they don't own a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So, my "hopeful" scenario is unlikely. I do think that Buffalo may package the 21st and 22nd picks to move up for a QB.

What I think will actually happen is that the Colts may trade back with the Jets, and the Jets will move up to # 3 and get Colts get picks #6, #37, and #107. Then either the Colts or Buccaneers will trade back with Buffalo. The Colts, by trading back twice with the Jets and Bills, can end up with two picks in the 1st round (#21, #22), two picks in the 2nd round, (#36, #37), and 3 picks in rounds 3&4 (#67, 104, #107). With 7 picks in the top 107, it could be a historic draft for the Colts.

Then, Minnesota will trade up to #18, and the Seahawks will get picks #30 & #62. What that means is that 5 QB's will be taken ahead of Dallas, which leaves a greater chance that Vea or Derwin James will fall to #19. Those are my top two targets in the 1st round. And because of the depth at DT, James would be a better pick at #19 than Vea, in my opinion.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Vea is a blue chip talent. He’s one of a handful of players worthy of trading up for. If he’s still there at 15 or 16, I would definitely do it.

Yep. He, Roquan, Derwin James, and if by some miracle Nelson fell those are the guys I'd trade a 3rd to move up for.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Dallas always cracks me up with this "we don't value" crap. Dallas doesn't value the 1T, so if I am a defensive coord, then I attack the 1T.
Dallas doesn't value the lb's, so we throw short passes against the lbs.
Dallas doesn't value the S, so we move our WR-1 to the slot and use him to attack the S.

The only position that you shouldn't value, is the one that you already have a great player at -- because he will get the job done.
Dallas didn't value G at one time either, and now they have a 1st rounder on one side, and people are wanting a 1st rounder not named Cooper on the other (who was also a 1st rounder).

I don't understand Dallas saying these things unless they are idiots.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I do not know why but I see Vea sort of like a younger Haloti Ngata, really NT but can be very disruptive behind the line

Carter

Reaction score
Dallas always cracks me up with this "we don't value" crap. Dallas doesn't value the 1T, so if I am a defensive coord, then I attack the 1T.
Dallas doesn't value the lb's, so we throw short passes against the lbs.
Dallas doesn't value the S, so we move our WR-1 to the slot and use him to attack the S.

The only position that you shouldn't value, is the one that you already have a great player at -- because he will get the job done.
Dallas didn't value G at one time either, and now they have a 1st rounder on one side, and people are wanting a 1st rounder not named Cooper on the other (who was also a 1st rounder).

I don't understand Dallas saying these things unless they are idiots.

Marinelli loves These Tweener guys that have "Position Flex". Also Garretts favourite word. So we always get guys who can Play multiple positions but not excelling at one. Just look at Byron Jones.