Trade up to get Xavier McKinney

morasp

Reaction score
McKinney >>> Delpit

McKinney can play the slot, nickel LB, SS, deep half, or single high. The only position out of those that Delpit plays better at is single high.

We play in a conference where the main contenders all have strong rushing attacks (SF, MIN, GB, SEA, NO) and also play Saquon twice a year.

Preferring a matador at safety over a do-it-all safety and strong tackler like McKinney is puzzling to me.
And the Eagles make a living dumping the ball off.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I’d like to see us move up for Delpit.

I’d like to not basically pray to whatever diety I randomly chose at that moment every time a deep ball is up for grabs...

SSoup

Reaction score
I'd much rather trade up for an edge rusher with double-digit sack potential. Gross-Matos, Baun or Epenesa... or whoever if there's someone I'm forgetting. A legit pass-rush will make our secondary look much better than slightly improving the talent level of the secondary, who will be asked to play behind our current pass-rush.

But if I am gonna trade up for a safety, I might rather target Winfield with a significantly smaller trade-up. Great ballhawk tendencies, which we need, but shouldn't have to trade up quite as far.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wow, people just don't learn.

The key to any draft is let it come to you, don't chase it. Yesterday was a classic example.

There are many options still available. Don't limit yourself.

It works either way. You can specifically target a player to move up like we did with Emmitt Smith or DeMarcus Lawrence if you think the value is there.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wouldn’t give up multiple picks for a player with bad position value like McKinney has.

If we trade up get me a defensive lineman or a corner.

If we trade up for a safety then I’d still take Delpit over him because Delpit shows centerfield ball skills that I feel is more valuable then anything McKinney provides.
Diggs, Blaylock and Gross-Matos would be trade up targets. Thats about it

I like Fulton alot. But not enough to go get him. If Im trading up for a CB, its someone with better ball skills

McKDaddy

Reaction score
We would almost have to trade up to get Xavier, he won't be there at 51.

Problem is we need CBs pretty bad, so its hard to give up the pick or picks to get him. I know some will be looking at pass rushers also, but its very hard to think there are any good pass rushers after the 2nd round in any draft.
I like McKinney but if we trade up (which i think we should consider) I think there are corners who would be BPA & greater need over the safeties.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I wouldn’t give up multiple picks for a player with bad position value like McKinney has.

If we trade up for a safety then I’d still take Delpit over him because Delpit shows centerfield ball skills that I feel is more valuable then anything McKinney provides.
I think injuries really hampered him last season. Year before that the kid was a stud

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that we got CeeDee (i'm still freakin hype!) we could go for the Grand slam in also getting McKinney

Imagine walking out with CeeDee Lamb and Xavier McKinney as our first two picks!?

Who is with me! Sometimes you got to make moves!!!
The question is how far up we would have to move and what the cost would be. Given that McKinney was projected to go in the first round, it's reasonable to assume it would take moving up to near the top of the 2nd round to get him. That could mean moving up 10-15 spots

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The way Stephen and Jerry were acting last night. I think the pick will be Matos, Braun, The Michigan pass rusher or the Notre Dame rusher. I just want the best player available.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Now that we got CeeDee (i'm still freakin hype!) we could go for the Grand slam in also getting McKinney

Imagine walking out with CeeDee Lamb and Xavier McKinney as our first two picks!?

Who is with me! Sometimes you got to make moves!!!
Do you only do this if Delpit goes first?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The way Stephen and Jerry were acting last night. I think the pick will be Matos, Braun, The Michigan pass rusher or the Notre Dame rusher. I just want the best player available.
Can you elaborate on that?

They loved Chaisson and were probably taking him if Lamb wasn't there. Makes sense that DE would be a priority at 51.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on that?

They loved Chaisson and were probably taking him if Lamb wasn't there. Makes sense that DE would be a priority at 51.
They were talking about a Ware type pass rusher throughout the pre draft shows. All MM would comment on when he was hired was we need pass rushers. Don’t be surprised if we draft two rushers before the draft is over.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I just can't fathom Dallas taking a safety over a super solid CD or Dline prospect.

Unless, of course, a repeat of Round 1 happens. Even then, safety is probably on par with LB at this point.

Dallas needs quality CBs and Dlineman pretty badly.

Hover around 51 and I'd bet a good CB or Dlineman will be within striking distance..if not falling into their lap.
Unless it's Delpit that makes it to 51. He is rated in my top 15 overall and I would take him over any corner, DL or LB left in the draft at this point.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I remember when the NY Giants took safety Landon Collins with a high draft pick, something about "Bama"
safeties that worries me. Jeremy Chinn and a cornerback pease.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Just let the board fall where it may. Stay put unless an irresistible trade offer happens. We need defensive talent. We don't need to trade away our picks when we need quality and quantity.

BigD5

Reaction score
I want Fulton from LSU

McKinney... there’s just something missing there with him. No killer instinct? Doesn’t play as hard as he could? Idk what it is

And I am an Alabama guy

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No giving up more draft capital unless we move up for a starting CB. There isn’t a single safety In the draft who will start over Woods and HaHa this year. If we take a safety, Id prefer the Updike of Chin.