Trading down? Oh, jeez...

gbrittain

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
But you're also paying a much higher cost and taking a much bigger risk, which aren't worth it, on average. Last year, two economists published research of NFL draft picks that found that the most efficient picks over the long haul are in the middle of the second round. The production from those players, on average, wasn't much lower than that of first-round picks, but the cost and risk involved was much lower.

I am not taking into account salaries. I understand that is a factor, but that is not what I am talking about.

I understand the value of the middle to late rounds as well. I am a big believer in the draft and that you should build your team through it and not free agency.

Bottom line IMO is that the better players are in the first round. Each team has seven picks in the seven rounds barring trades and compensatory picks. If I could have seven first round picks, I guarantee you that I will have the better draft three years down the road than the team that gets 7 picks from 1st to 7th round.

Now I know that sounds silly and it is. For one a team could not afford the seven first round picks, but again my point is not the cost effectiveness of first round picks, but the talent level.

For example, of all the HOFers drafted since 1970:

1st Round 30 HOFers
2nd Round 7 HOFers
3rd Round 4 HOFers
4th Round 3 HOFers
5th Round 1 HOF
6th and beyond 0 HOFers

If you want a chance at elite talent, your best bet is still in the first round.

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Amen, our second rounders have not been all that either for the last dozen years or so. Dallas has found elite talent at all levels and even a few walk ons. So I would still double down on a pick at 18 or even higher if we can get there by hood winking some shmoe. After that you pays your money and takes your chances. There is no such thing as a sure thing and who wants to bet on how much the #1 pick and the #2 pick over all will be paid. Can you say 49 mill with 18 guaranteed although the record shows few #1s are worth that huge amount of money.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I am not taking into account salaries.

It's not just salaries, it's also the cost of the picks themselves. If you trade down out of the first round, you can end up with two second-round picks, plus maybe other picks, instead of just the one. If you do that, you'll be better off in the long run, on average.

Let's say we have the No. 18 pick 20 years in a row. Every other year, we keep it, and in the other years, we trade it for picks Nos. 44 and 46 (just because that balances out in the common value chart). After all of their careers ended, if you analyzed the production we got from those picks (10 players at No. 18, 10 at No. 44 and 10 at No. 46) in return for the cost (in dollars and picks), the second-round picks should have been more efficient, according to those analysts' research. For example, if the 10 first-round picks yielded three Pro Bowl players, four quality starters, two OK starters and one outright bust, the 20 second-rounders might yield four Pro Bowl players, eight quality starters, five OK starters and three busts -- and for a total dollar cost of less than the 10 first-rounders, leaving more money to sign other players and free agents.

For example, of all the HOFers drafted since 1970:

1st Round 30 HOFers
2nd Round 7 HOFers
3rd Round 4 HOFers
4th Round 3 HOFers
5th Round 1 HOF
6th and beyond 0 HOFers

If you want a chance at elite talent, your best bet is still in the first round.

The vast majority of those 30 first-round Hall of Famers -- 21 of them, to be precise -- were selected within the first eight picks of the draft. From picks Nos. 9 through 32, there were only nine Hall of Famers taken. From picks Nos. 33 through 48 (the middle of the second round these days), there were seven Hall of Famers drafted. And if you extend it through No. 64 (the end of the second round now), there were nine Hall of Famers taken. The chances of drafting a Hall of Famer in the second round is almost the same as the chances of drafting one in the first round outside the top eight picks.

So yes, you do have a better chance of getting an elite talent at the very top of the first round. But if you miss, the cost -- in pick value and in dollars -- is huge and can be extremely damaging to the team. After the top 10 or so, the talent begins to level off more than the risk does. That's why, over the long haul, picking from the middle of the second round is more efficient.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Working the draft board.

Getting more value for the pick.

These kind of terms must be pretty foreign to you.

I guess you missed the gist of my post, smart guy. Trading down USUALLY means players who aren't as good as earlier picks. I'd take one great player over two above average ones. That concise enough for you?

gbrittain

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
It's not just salaries, it's also the cost of the picks themselves. If you trade down out of the first round, you can end up with two second-round picks, plus maybe other picks, instead of just the one. If you do that, you'll be better off in the long run, on average.

Let's say we have the No. 18 pick 20 years in a row. Every other year, we keep it, and in the other years, we trade it for picks Nos. 44 and 46 (just because that balances out in the common value chart). After all of their careers ended, if you analyzed the production we got from those picks (10 players at No. 18, 10 at No. 44 and 10 at No. 46) in return for the cost (in dollars and picks), the second-round picks should have been more efficient, according to those analysts' research. For example, if the 10 first-round picks yielded three Pro Bowl players, four quality starters, two OK starters and one outright bust, the 20 second-rounders might yield four Pro Bowl players, eight quality starters, five OK starters and three busts -- and for a total dollar cost of less than the 10 first-rounders, leaving more money to sign other players and free agents.

The vast majority of those 30 first-round Hall of Famers -- 21 of them, to be precise -- were selected within the first eight picks of the draft. From picks Nos. 9 through 32, there were only nine Hall of Famers taken. From picks Nos. 33 through 48 (the middle of the second round these days), there were seven Hall of Famers drafted. And if you extend it through No. 64 (the end of the second round now), there were nine Hall of Famers taken. The chances of drafting a Hall of Famer in the second round is almost the same as the chances of drafting one in the first round outside the top eight picks.

So yes, you do have a better chance of getting an elite talent at the very top of the first round. But if you miss, the cost -- in pick value and in dollars -- is huge and can be extremely damaging to the team. After the top 10 or so, the talent begins to level off more than the risk does. That's why, over the long haul, picking from the middle of the second round is more efficient.

I hear what you are saying and I am sure there is some truth to it. I still believe that the early rounds is where you get your playmakers and star players.

I fully understand the dollar cost and the value of the pick as you say. Under your scenario you are saying two second rounders are better than 1 first rounder.

For example, if the 10 first-round picks yielded three Pro Bowl players, four quality starters, two OK starters and one outright bust, the 20 second-rounders might yield four Pro Bowl players, eight quality starters, five OK starters and three busts

I dont know if you picked randon numbers for this example, but I will run with it. Under this scenario if you had an equal amount of first rounders as you did 2nd rounders then you would have:

1st Round - 6 Pro Bowl players, 8 quality starters, 4 Ok starters and 2 busts

Just for fun, I went through last years Pro Bowl roster on NFL.com and I counted 47 of the 86 Pro Bowl players were first round picks.

Again, I am not talking about value. Just pure talent. You want HOFer or Pro Bowl player type you are more likely to get that in the first round.

All things being equal meaning one pick in each round, your chances of finding a quality to star player are best in the 1st round followed by the 2nd round and so on and so forth.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
Impressive list you put together, but that is just one big giant red herring IMO.

Lets use the three year rule. Players should be "players" by their third year by most account.

Now lets go back three years and analyze the draft.

Carson Palmer Bengals - Pro Bowl caliber player
Charles Rogers Lions - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Andre Johnson Texans - Pro Bowl caliber player
Dewayne RobertsonJets - Starter
Terence Newman Cowboys - Pro Bowl caliber player
Johnathan Sullivan Saints - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Byron Leftwich Jaguars - Pro Bowl caliber player
Jordan Gross Panthers - Pro Bowl caliber player
Kevin Williams Vikings - Pro Bowl caliber player
Terrell Suggs Ravens - Pro Bowl caliber player
Marcus Trufant Seahawks - Starter
Jimmy Kennedy Rams - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Ty Warren Patriots - Starter
Michael Haynes Bears - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Jerome McDougle Eagles - Undetermined due to injuries
Troy Polamalu Steelers - Pro Bowl caliber player
Bryant Johnson Cardinals - Role player
Calvin Pace Cardinals - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Kyle Boller Ravens - Starter
George Foster Broncos - Starter
Jeff Faine Browns - Starter. L. Bentley brought in
Rex Grossman Bears - Undetermined, due to injuries.
Willis McGahee Bills - Pro Bowl caliber player
Dallas Clark Colts - Starter
William Joseph Giants - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Kwame Harris 49ers - Starter
Larry Johnson Chiefs- Pro Bowl caliber player
Andre Woolfolk Titans - Still with team, borderline bust as of now
Nick Barnett Packers - Starter
Sammy Davis Chargers - Starter
Nnamdi Asomugha Raiders - Starter
Tyler Brayton Raiders - Still with team, borderline bust as of now

Dennis Weathersby Bengals - Out of NFL?
Artose Pinner Role player
Todd Johnson Bears - Minimal production
Domanick Davis Texans - Pro Bowl caliber player
Montrae Holland Saints - Starter
Bradie James Cowboys - Starter
George Wrighster Jaguars - Minimal production
Onterrio Smith Vikings - Role player
Shaun McDonald Rams - Role player
DeJuan Groce Rams - Starter
Quentin Griffin Broncos - Minimal production
Jarret Johnson Ravens - Starter
Seneca Wallace Seahawks - Undetermined, back up QB
Terrence McGee Bills - Starter
Matt Wilhelm Chargers - Minimal performance
Brett Williams Chiefs - Minimal performance
Nicholas Eason Broncos - Minimal performance
Lee Suggs Browns - Role player
Ian Scott Bears - Starter
Dan Klecko Patriots - Minimal performance
Jeremi Johnson Bengals - Minimal performance
Colin Branch Panthers - Minimal performance
Asante Samuel Patriots - Starter
Justin Griffith Falcons - Starter
Steve Sciullo Colts - Out of NFL?
Roderick Babers Giants - Out of NFL?
Brandon Lloyd 49ers - Commanders made him a millionaire (Starter)
Ivan Taylor Steelers - Out of NFL?
Rien Long Titans - Role player
Sam Aiken Bills - Minimal performance
Bryant McNeal Broncos - Minimal performance
Shurron Pierson Raiders - Out of NFL?

1st Round
Pro Bowl caliber players - 10
Starters - 11
Role Players - Hard to judge if a role player among first round picks
Bust - 10

2nd Round
Pro Bowl caliber players - 1
Starters - 9
Role Players - 5
Bust - 16

I used the first round versus the fourth round, because they are both the elite rounds of their days, days one and two. Of course had I compared round 1 versus round two the results would be much closer to each other I suspect. However, that is the point to demonstrate that the chances of getting a solid to Pro Bowl caliber player is much better in the first round and the odds of hitting on such players goes dows as each round passes.

Now this assessment is by no means perfect. Some "Pro Bowl" caliber players are much better than others and some are starters due to lack of a capable replacement and some are starters because they are that good.

Some 1st round picks would be out of the NFL if not for their big contracts and willingness to give them just "one" more try.

Some 4th round picks are just kept around due to their cheap price over a slightly better player and special teams contributions.

All in all, the notion that the first round picks are overrated is well...overrrated. If you want your best shot at an impact player you are most likely to find that person in the 1st round.
The point was not that you didn't get better players early in the draft. The point was that there are no guarantees...10 first round bust...10 first round Pro Bowlers...it's a crap shoot.

By your stats it would seem that you don't really lose that much by moving down from #18 because if you will notice only two of your Pro Bowl caliber players in the first round came later than pick #18 (our pick this year). So if we could move down a few slots and gain another pick in the 3rd round we have a better chance of hitting on one of them.

Just to elaborate a bit more; an analysis of the second half of the 1st round shows that it does not look substantially different than the 2nd round. Someone else said earlier that there were only about 12 elite players in this draft. I think it is generally true of every draft; there are only a handful of elite players and then the talent level flattens out until the early to middle part of the 3rd round.

It is always possible that one of the elite players will fall to us and that is why you don't pull the trigger on a trade down until you are on the clock. But it is unlikely that one of those elite prospects will fall that far and if they don't then it is perfectly reasonable to trade down to try and get an extra pick in that pool of late 1st to early 3rd round talent.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I hear what you are saying and I am sure there is some truth to it. I still believe that the early rounds is where you get your playmakers and star players.

The second round is an early round.

I fully understand the dollar cost and the value of the pick as you say. Under your scenario you are saying two second rounders are better than 1 first rounder.

It's not my scenario. It's the results of research done by two economists, published in a 50-page paper complete with all sorts of mathematical formulas and graphs involving such things as market value, production, compensation, spline regressions, predicted values, expected surplus, etc. This wasn't just counting up the number of Pro Bowl players taken in each round.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
The second round is an early round.

Eeeeeasy there, big guy. You don't want to go confusing anyone.

:D

j/k gbrittain. :cool:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
But if you hit

see how that works?

So you have an infallible method of determining which players will hit and which ones will miss -- and you're not employed by an NFL team? That's a travesty. You could make millions, you know.

I'll contact NFL Network for you. I'm sure they'd love to do a story about you during the draft this weekend. Then next year, they can do a follow-up story that shows how right you were and that you possess an amazing talent that nobody in the history of the NFL has ever had.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
So you have an infallible method of determining which players will hit and which ones will miss -- and you're not employed by an NFL team? That's a travesty. You could make millions, you know.

I'll contact NFL Network for you. I'm sure they'd love to do a story about you during the draft this weekend. Then next year, they can do a follow-up story that shows how right you were and that you possess an amazing talent that nobody in the history of the NFL has ever had.

To be fair, you can get a very good player that ends up being a vital part of your team but never gets the accolades or makes a single probowl. But it doesn't mean that player was a bad pick.

Greg Ellis is an example of the type of player I'm referring to. Not his draft spot, but the actual type of player he's been.

I think both sides are being too over analytical (***?). If there's a player at 18 you like and don't think you can get him if you trade down, then take him. If not, do your best to trade down and pick up someone you think is of better value.

JMO

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:

So two people who are not in the nfl use math to support a theory that a second rounder is the best value.

However, the chart above indicates more first rounders have been inducted in the Hall of fame since 1970.

Which is a mathematical formula that seems to have some bearing on this.

One way you suggest trading down is better.

Then when I take your words and reverse them, you seem to become miffed and toss out this weak and trite comment about me being an expert.

If the theory works one way, it also works the other to some degree.

If you hit on the second, you have gained something of value.

If you hit on the first, you have gained something of value.

Hardly worth getting cranky over.

Especially since the Hall of Fame comments were the apex of any theory here.

Because those guys are the best of the best.

And the most consistent round for acquiring those type of players is the first.

So says that discipline.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Rack said:
Eeeeeasy there, big guy. You don't want to go confusing anyone.

:D

j/k gbrittain. :cool:

Hey it was late at night when I wrote that, plus you know I am easily confused Rack.:p:

On a serious note, I acknowledge that the 2nd round is an early round and my theory is that the second best round outside of round 1 is round 2.

I know, earth shattering stuff here, but the each and every round that passes the talent level drops off.

Of course I would imagine that once you get to the 5, 6, and 7th rounds it becomes a true crap shoot and not much difference in talent from one round to the next.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
So two people who are not in the nfl use math to support a theory that a second rounder is the best value.

No, they did not "use math to support a theory," they researched the history of draft picks and players and came to the conclusion that mid-second-round picks are the best value.

However, the chart above indicates more first rounders have been inducted in the Hall of fame since 1970.

Did you even read this thread?

After the first eight picks, the chances of picking a Hall of Famer in the first round is no better than the chances of picking one in the early to middle of the second round.

Early in the first round, you do have a greater chance of hitting big, but it comes with a greater risk. As you move lower in the first round, the risk drops at a faster rate than the chance of hitting big. And in the middle of the second round, the chances of hitting big compared to the risk involved is at its optimum -- the risk is now far less than the chances of hitting big. After that, the chances of hitting big drop faster than the risk does, since the cost of a third-round pick isn't much less than that of a second-round pick, etc.

Then when I take your words and reverse them, you seem to become miffed and toss out this weak and trite comment about me being an expert.

Your comment was weak. If a team "hits" on a second-round player, he becomes a starter or becomes a Pro Bowl player or becomes a Hall of Famer, the same as when a team "hits" on a first-round player. If a team misses on a second-round player, there is a cost to the team of the money and pick that was wasted, but it is a fraction of what that cost is when a team misses on a first-round player, and even a smaller fraction compared to an early first-round pick. The research concluded that for about 30 percent of the cost (in picks and dollars) of the average first-round pick, the average second-round pick yields a much higher percentage of the production of the average first-round pick, and many second-round picks produce more than any first-round pick.

Imagine you have $30 to buy raffle tickets for either $10, $6 or $3 apiece, with various amounts available in prizes. The $10 tickets pay out, on average, $6, but there is a 0.5 percent chance (1 in 200) that you could win $1,000. The $6 tickets pay out an average of $4.50, with a 0.2 percent chance (1 in 500) of a $1,000 winner. And the $3 tickets pay out an average of $2.75, also with a 0.2 percent chance (1 in 500) of winning $1,000. You have to spend all of your money on one type of ticket -- no mixing and matching.

Are you going to buy three for $10 apiece, five for $6 apiece or 10 for $3 apiece? The individual $10 tickets might have a higher average payout per ticket, but the average total you'd get is only $18, compared to $22.50 for the five $6 tickets and $27.50 for the 10 $3 tickets. And the chances of winning $1,000 with the three $10 tickets (1.5 percent total) might be more than with the five $6 tickets (1.0 percent total), but it's less than with the 10 $3 tickets (2.0 percent total).

That particular analogy applies only to the value of the picks involved, not the dollars spent. A similar analogy for the monetary risks and rewards involved would be if you had only $10 in your pocket and you had to buy at least one ticket. If you buy a $10 ticket, you have a 1 in 200 chance of winning $1,000, but you'll end up with only $6 on average, and you could walk away with nothing. If you buy one $6 ticket, you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning $1,000, you'll end up with $8.50 on average, and you'll still have at least $4 no matter what. If you buy two $3 tickets, you have a 1 in 250 chance of winning $1,000, you'll end up with $9.50 on average, and you'll also have at least $4 no matter what.

Correct, but the difference in cost (in both picks and dollars) is far greater than the average difference in production, and the maximum production is identical. And the most efficient picks, on average, come in the second round.

Derinyar

Reaction score
The goal is to get as much talent on your team. Yes, higher in the draft you are more likely to get a high end talent. In the later parts of the first your more likely to get a good solid player. If you can trade down your quite likely to get two solid players.

Trading down in the draft now adays is about the only way to get any depth onto your team.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Good operating principle for Cowboys Zone:

Argue with AdamJT13 if you want to look like a complete moron and display your ignorance for the board.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
cobra said:
Good operating principle for Cowboys Zone:

Argue with AdamJT13 if you want to look like a complete moron and display your ignorance for the board.

Idon't think it takes a genius to figure out that hitting in the later rounds is a better value than hitting with your first round pick. Especially when you are paying 10's of millions to early first rounders compared to hundreds of thousands to 2nd round picks or later. :geek: However, I do make it a rule not to try and out think Adam. :D

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:

Which is a mathematical formula that seems to have some bearing on this.

One way you suggest trading down is better.

If the theory works one way, it also works the other to some degree.

Hardly worth getting cranky over.

Especially since the Hall of Fame comments were the apex of any theory here.

Because those guys are the best of the best.

And the most consistent round for acquiring those type of players is the first.

So says that discipline.

I have a problem with you saying only people voted into the Hall of Fame are the best of the best.

For instance:

Irvin has not been voted into the Hall as of yet, and he is undeniably one of the best. Nor Art Monk, I believe?

I'm sure there are others that are deserving that aren't "HOF'ers" yet as well.

You should luck at the value of the player vs. pick as to how they dominated or did not dominate for their team(s). :)

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
No, they did not "use math to support a theory," they researched the history of draft picks and players and came to the conclusion that mid-second-round picks are the best value.

Did you even read this thread?

After the first eight picks, the chances of picking a Hall of Famer in the first round is no better than the chances of picking one in the early to middle of the second round.

Early in the first round, you do have a greater chance of hitting big, but it comes with a greater risk. As you move lower in the first round, the risk drops at a faster rate than the chance of hitting big. And in the middle of the second round, the chances of hitting big compared to the risk involved is at its optimum -- the risk is now far less than the chances of hitting big. After that, the chances of hitting big drop faster than the risk does, since the cost of a third-round pick isn't much less than that of a second-round pick, etc.

Your comment was weak. If a team "hits" on a second-round player, he becomes a starter or becomes a Pro Bowl player or becomes a Hall of Famer, the same as when a team "hits" on a first-round player. If a team misses on a second-round player, there is a cost to the team of the money and pick that was wasted, but it is a fraction of what that cost is when a team misses on a first-round player, and even a smaller fraction compared to an early first-round pick. The research concluded that for about 30 percent of the cost (in picks and dollars) of the average first-round pick, the average second-round pick yields a much higher percentage of the production of the average first-round pick, and many second-round picks produce more than any first-round pick.

Imagine you have $30 to buy raffle tickets for either $10, $6 or $3 apiece, with various amounts available in prizes. The $10 tickets pay out, on average, $6, but there is a 0.5 percent chance (1 in 200) that you could win $1,000. The $6 tickets pay out an average of $4.50, with a 0.2 percent chance (1 in 500) of a $1,000 winner. And the $3 tickets pay out an average of $2.75, also with a 0.2 percent chance (1 in 500) of winning $1,000. You have to spend all of your money on one type of ticket -- no mixing and matching.

Are you going to buy three for $10 apiece, five for $6 apiece or 10 for $3 apiece? The individual $10 tickets might have a higher average payout per ticket, but the average total you'd get is only $18, compared to $22.50 for the five $6 tickets and $27.50 for the 10 $3 tickets. And the chances of winning $1,000 with the three $10 tickets (1.5 percent total) might be more than with the five $6 tickets (1.0 percent total), but it's less than with the 10 $3 tickets (2.0 percent total).

That particular analogy applies only to the value of the picks involved, not the dollars spent. A similar analogy for the monetary risks and rewards involved would be if you had only $10 in your pocket and you had to buy at least one ticket. If you buy a $10 ticket, you have a 1 in 200 chance of winning $1,000, but you'll end up with only $6 on average, and you could walk away with nothing. If you buy one $6 ticket, you have a 1 in 500 chance of winning $1,000, you'll end up with $8.50 on average, and you'll still have at least $4 no matter what. If you buy two $3 tickets, you have a 1 in 250 chance of winning $1,000, you'll end up with $9.50 on average, and you'll also have at least $4 no matter what.

Correct, but the difference in cost (in both picks and dollars) is far greater than the average difference in production, and the maximum production is identical. And the most efficient picks, on average, come in the second round.

Then maybe you need to post the article and not paraphrase it.

You always seem to be up on your stuff.

But I want to see the criteria for this theory. How they determined the value. Not just dollars and sense. But real value to a team.

Production. Pro Bowls.

How they elevated the players around them.

You see, this falls into a stats type of argument.

And while you are the stat king. Stats can be made to suggest anything.

So pardon me if I want to read the article and see exactly how they rated each player, and how that rating was used to make this enlightening determination.

But...

And this is even more important of a fact in regard to your assertion trading down is the smart thing because of rate of return.

Kevin Burnett
Julius Jones
Jacob Rogers
Stephen Peterman
Al Johnson
Jason Witten

These are the second and third round picks since Bill Parcells joined the team.

Witten speaks for himself.

Maybe the best pick we have made in the last three years. His value versus return is undisputed.

But we haven't exactly broken the bank on the rest of those picks.

Jones may end up being a player. But to date, he has been injured and is inconsistent. Somewhat like his brother in Chicago.

Rogers was an outright bust.

Peterman can't get on the field. And with the looks of last year's line, that makes quite a statement.

Burnett is injured, and the date of his season ending injury suggests he will not be back in time for camp, the first game, or maybe even the middle of the season.

So we go into his third year waiting for him to show us what he has.

I reserve my comments on Johnson until I see the bulked up version this season.

But the early returns show a guy who gets shoved around by DTs.

You may be absolutely correct the second round is the best dollar for dollar acquisition.

But the history of this team, under this coach/talent evaluator indicates we have one winner, and a bunch of also-rans. With maybe two outright busts in Rogers and Peterman.

So theories are great. Stats are wonderful.

But practical factions say this team has difficulty recognizing talent in the second and third round.

Maybe they reach. Maybe they are inept.

But they have failed more than succeeded.

And with that, I'd be more inclined to stay where we are and pick someone in a round where they have shown a propensity for making sound choices.

Which is what this is all about.

Want to PM me the article. I'll be glad to read it and reply.

Or post it here. Either way.

But be advised that article is going to have to be one charming article. More charming than that pig on Green Acres, for me to look at the list above and come away with a new found respect for second and third rounders chosen by this team.

By the way Adam. I do understand a bust in the second is less of an impact than a bust in the first. But your raffle tickets analogy, while amusing, doesn't factor in that the rate of return is subjective in the NFL.

Put Montana in the Raiders long ball offense as a player and he still would have been one of the smartest players going. But his rag arm would have prevented him from being the guy he was with the 9ers.

Emmitt Smith would not have been the greatest behind Barry Sander's line. Now Sanders excelled behind a line that blocked the very way they did. I am not saying they were a bad line. Fact is, they did exactly what he needed to improvise.

But Emmitt was not that type of runner.

And in that little acorn of truth you will find any analysis consisting of feast/famine ie. your raffle ticket analogy is flawed. Because it comes down to a subjective analysis and math.

And sometimes the results are predictaed by the team surrounding the player.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I have a earth shattering idea for you two (TD3 and Adam).

How about, ok settle down and hear me out...

How about we trade down... Shhh! Quiet, TD3, let me finish...

How about we trade down, but... Adam, settle down, let me finish.

How about we trade down, but... but don't trade out of the first round.

:eek:

We get better value.

We still get a first round pick.

Everybody wins.

Seriously though, if we trade down, we aren't gonna be able to get Carpenter. We might get Lawson or Wimbley though.