Trading down? Oh, jeez...

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
silverbear said:
TwoDeep, your criticisms of the Cowboys' second round draft picks are quite legit, except for one thing:

Larry Lacewell isn't here any more... so perhaps it's not real fair to lay the blame for the team's second round failures at Jeff Ireland's feet...

IOW, given the recent change in the decision making process out at Valley Ranch, an historical argument may not be your best approach...

"How can a team expect me to cook the dinner if I can't buy my own groceries?"

Thanks Bear for your insight but I know who Ireland works for.

gbrittain

Reaction score
silverbear said:
And how many of those 30 were drafted before pick 18??

I see you got your answer. You might notice that I never broke the first round into groups. My contention is and remains that your best chance at finding an elite talent is in the firs round.

Adam brings some interesting insight into this, but it does not IMO change the facts. Keep in mind, I am not talking value. The question becomes are two second rounders better than one first round? Are four third round picks better than two second round picks? Good questions, but not at all what I am talking about.

I know excellent talent if found in every round as Joe Montana, and Tom Brady would attest to and I do not dispute that.

I already said this before, but play with me on this one. If someone told you they would give you 10 million dollars if you could pick a future Pro Bowler from the 2007 draft. They also told you that you could have one pick in the #18 slot of any round, which round would you choose?

Again, I understand value and that is what Adam is talking about. I am talking about one shot one kill. Where are you most likely to find elite talent?

I also mentioned earlier that in last years Pro Bowl, over half the roster (not including ST, K, P, and FB) was made up of former first round picks.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
good job, but what exactly was your case?

Smartarse. It was a figure of speech.

By the way, incase you didn't notice, you were wrong about the RB thing. :D

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
CowboyDan said:
You mean like these surer bets?

QB Ryan Leaf (2) Washington State-San Diego Chargers-1998
RB Blair Thomas (2) Penn State-New York Jets-1990
WR Desmond Howard(4) Michigan-Washington Commanders-1992
TE Ricky Dudley(9) Ohio State-Houston Oilers-1996
OT Tony Mandarich(2) Michigan State-Green Bay Packers-1989
OG Eugene Chung(13) Virginia Tech-New England Patriots-1992
DE Aundray Bruce(1) Auburn-Atlanta Falcons-1988
DT Steve Emtman(1) Washington-Indianapolis Colts-1992
LB Brian Bosworth(2) Oklahoma-Seattle Seahawks-1987
CB Bruce Pickens(3) Nebraska-Atlanta Falcons-1991
S Patrick Bates (12) Texas A&M-Los Angeles Raiders-1993

QB Heath Schuler (3) Tennessee-Washington Commanders-1994
RB Lawrence Philips (6) Nebraska-St. Louis Rams-1995
WR Michael Westbrook (4) Colorado-Washington Commanders-1995
TE David LaFluer(22) LSU-Dallas Cowboys-1997
OT Antoine Davis(8) Tennessee-Philadelphia Eagles-1991
OG Brian Jozwiak(7) West Virginia-Kansas City Chiefs-1986
DE Andre Wadsworth(3) Florida State-Arizona Cardinals-1998
DT Dimitrius Underwood(29) Michigan State-MinnesotaVikings-1999
LB Percy Snow(13) Michigan State-Kansas City Chiefs-1990
CB Michael Booker(11) Nebraska-Atlanta Flacons-1997
S Shaun Williams(24) UCLA-New York Giants-1998

who were these guys?!!!!!:D :D :D :laugh2:

kartr

Reaction score
Tass said:
How many guys in the draft can actually make an impact immediately? The lower you pick it stands to reason that the player pool you choose from is more diluted. So instead of an impact guy and some benchwarmers we want all benchwarmers? Whatever...I guess the Cowboy front office is smarter than all the draft gurus and analysts out there. I'm tired of thinking about it. Wow...I don't even care anymore. Just get who you're going to get and play ball already.

You've got it all wrong. These people don't really know who will hit and who will miss, they're human just like us. The best way to insure against 'busts' is thru volume by trading down and get more picks. The other way, you either hit a home run or strike out. Getting more picks ensures that you have a larger pool of players to pick from, which helps you pick up late day two guys like Leon Lett or Terrell Davis. If you really do your home work, you can find these guys. Pittsburgh and New England almost always do well in the draft and they don't have a GM(that is Pittsburgh). I find late day two guys all the time just by being thorough. I know how to read scouting reports for red flags and I know how to read between the lines and I found a site that instructs about which terminology means buyer beware.