Trading up for Burrows makes sense

Yobwocs

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.

But how are you gonna load Burrow up with talent if you give up so many draft picks? Burrow would be heavily blamed if he fails when in fact he's just not given any talent due to all the picks that we traded away because of him.

There's risk taking, and then there's shooting craps at the table. What you're suggesting is more the latter.

Dak has faced all 32 teams. I don't think unproven is the word I'd use to describe him. Inconsistent and frustrating to watch at times, yes. But for the most part, he looks like a quality NFL QB and everything indicates he's about equal to Wentz, Goff, and Watson.- appointed franchise QBs by their respective teams.

Hayseed

Reaction score
If the Cowboys could trade up for Joe Burrow instead of signing Dak it makes better sense.
Burrows would then be under a rookie contract for five years, with a new and capable head coach in Mike McCarthy, and Kellen Moore leading the offense. The Cowboys would save big money compared to giving a big contract to a still unproven Dak Prescott.
The offensive line is still strong, and Zeke is still powerful.
In the short term and the long, trading up for Burrows is a no-brainer.
And signing Case Keenum would give them solid depth for a championship run by 2021.
It makes good sense every way you look at it.

Doesnt make any sense for us. Im betting we would have to give them Dak, our 1st this year, our second this year, and our first next year. All that in the HOPE that Burrow looks as good as he did in college in the pro's when the bust rate for QB's is normally quite high.

Hayseed

Reaction score
Hey, Slick, this isn't "anti-Dak"
It's "pro-Cowboys".
I'm looking for what makes the Cowboys a better team.
I just don't believe that Dak is that.

But you have to be realistic otherwise its just a bunch of nonsense that wont happen. What you are proposing wont happen.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The Rams traded 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders to go from #15 to #1 and get Goff. And he wasn't nearly the prospect that Burrow is.

johneric8

Reaction score
Not that I don't want to keep Dak, but I’ve never heard anyone call a player a “locker room stud”. Lmao
HA.. I can see how that could of been taken, especially if it was Jerry Jones gazing at him in the shower and called Dak that.. LOL.. No, what I meant that Dak is obviously a huge
locker room presence and leader of our team. All the players, including veterans have said that he is the man.

johneric8

Reaction score
“Borderline Elite” ? Lol....that’s the funniest thing I’ve read since Jerry said Garrett would get 5 coaching offers if he left Dallas. And by the way “genius”, your boy Dak is a proven commodity: he’s proven he is an average qb talent who is inconsistently inaccurate. And new coaching and schemes that get receivers open won’t matter because he’s proven he can miss open receivers and consistently throw above, behind, or too far ahead but not consistently in stride. As Aikman said, the first rule of qb club is you have to be accurate. If you can’t get the ball to where it needs to be accurately, nothing else matters. And that is the one thing Dak proves consistently. Borderline Elite....lol.

The Problem with everything you said is the "facts" get in the way of your argument. Even Aikman said Dak is a super bowl callibre QB, so bringing Aikman into this is ludicrous. Dak doesn't miss any more receivers than any other QB that is a misnomer for sure. You don't spend much time watching other QB's miss throws and make mistakes do you? You really might want to dive into the stats on just how accurate Dak is. In terms of him being Elite, well he did play at an Elite level through many games last year and struggled along with the team as coaching helped do them in. If you can't see what Dak can do and what he is building on it proves that your just in it to hate.

johneric8

Reaction score
If he has them fooled than yep they fit what I was saying. I'm not more knowledgable than them but that doesn't mean they can't be wrong. Last I checked they aren't perfect so that logic is something a child would use. It doesn't make sense. Try again

By your logic, you said that they could be wrong right? Well, how about you, could YOU be wrong?...... Bottom line, when you spout your anti Dak drivel, you're stating it as a given, or as fact! This is the issue I have quite honestly with all you Dak detractors. It's okay to have your concerns or questions surrounding things you've seen, but it would behoove you to state it with more levity. Some of you guys say Dak isn't accurate because he misses some throws, but hell so do all other QB's in the league. The guy has shown he can comeback and win games, make all the throws, stay healthy, ETC.. The guy has had one of the worst head coaches in NFL history in Jason Garrett and a supporting defense that has been as soft as charmin... Tom Brady won the superbowl year before last doing zilch, scoring zero points.. It was all field goals and patriots defense.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
By your logic, you said that they could be wrong right? Well, how about you, could YOU be wrong?...... Bottom line, when you spout your anti Dak drivel, you're stating it as a given, or as fact! This is the issue I have quite honestly with all you Dak detractors. It's okay to have your concerns or questions surrounding things you've seen, but it would behoove you to state it with more levity. Some of you guys say Dak isn't accurate because he misses some throws, but hell so do all other QB's in the league. The guy has shown he can comeback and win games, make all the throws, stay healthy, ETC.. The guy has had one of the worst head coaches in NFL history in Jason Garrett and a supporting defense that has been as soft as charmin... Tom Brady won the superbowl year before last doing zilch, scoring zero points.. It was all field goals and patriots defense.
Another lazy anti Dak poster. Do you people all use the same tired playbook? The ole I don’t agree so I’m anti this or that? Everything I’ve said about Dak is fact though. He’s an average player surrounded by more talent. Where is the lie at? I say Dak is inaccurate because he misses toooo many throws that accurate QBs don’t miss as often. Stop with the bs of other QBs don’t miss passes nobody claimed they did. People say they don’t miss as many routine throws as your Dak and funny you like to mention Troy but a few times he’s said Dak can’t miss certain easy passes himself. You know since you like to hype his knowledge when it’s beneficial I assume you also agree with his knowledge when he is critical of Dak too just like when he said he was a stat padder?

Staying healthy is luck he or any other player get NO credit for that. You hit Dak the right way he’s going down just like everybody else don’t let morons on tv tell you differently. Where was the comebacks this year sir? They should be improving in this category as he gets older no? The Garrett excuse is just that because was Garrett not the coach during that 2016 season or was he suspended? You have to be consistent because everybody knows that was his best season but only Dak gets credit but when he loses it’s Garrett’s fault. That’s weak and I’m glad they got rid of Jason just be consistent. I see your one of these Dak can’t do no wrong posters so time will see who really is right.

johneric8

Reaction score
Another lazy anti Dak poster. Do you people all use the same tired playbook? The ole I don’t agree so I’m anti this or that? Everything I’ve said about Dak is fact though. He’s an average player surrounded by more talent. Where is the lie at? I say Dak is inaccurate because he misses toooo many throws that accurate QBs don’t miss as often. Stop with the bs of other QBs don’t miss passes nobody claimed they did. People say they don’t miss as many routine throws as your Dak and funny you like to mention Troy but a few times he’s said Dak can’t miss certain easy passes himself. You know since you like to hype his knowledge when it’s beneficial I assume you also agree with his knowledge when he is critical of Dak too just like when he said he was a stat padder?

Staying healthy is luck he or any other player get NO credit for that. You hit Dak the right way he’s going down just like everybody else don’t let morons on tv tell you differently. Where was the comebacks this year sir? They should be improving in this category as he gets older no? The Garrett excuse is just that because was Garrett not the coach during that 2016 season or was he suspended? You have to be consistent because everybody knows that was his best season but only Dak gets credit but when he loses it’s Garrett’s fault. That’s weak and I’m glad they got rid of Jason just be consistent. I see your one of these Dak can’t do no wrong posters so time will see who really is right.

Here is the thing, everything you just said isn't fact, it's totally debatable in terms of how talent our team truly is, hell the defense lost us many games where Dak balled, so that looked like it was on Dak wasn't... There are facts and stats out there that go against every notion you have, so instead of arguing on which facts fit the crime, I agree lets wait and see who is right.. So far, based on wins and loses and important stats, I'm well in the lead.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Here is the thing, everything you just said isn't fact, it's totally debatable in terms of how talent our team truly is, hell the defense lost us many games where Dak balled, so that looked like it was on Dak wasn't... There are facts and stats out there that go against every notion you have, so instead of arguing on which facts fit the crime, I agree lets wait and see who is right.. So far, based on wins and loses and important stats, I'm well in the lead.

What were the many games the defense lost us?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Let me tell you this you and any of the dummies on tv using wins as a qb stat are stupid on this issue. If that’s the case why didn’t you want Jason here since wins are so much a thing? You can’t use the same exact wins to hype Dak up but discredit Jason. I guess you scary pro Dak people don’t get that. It’s not debatable how talented our team is on offense. We have a top 10 wr, top 5 rb and oline but you want to say debatable? Anything to make Dak look better smh.

This myth that the D lost games is more lazy rhetoric from the pro Dak crew. Better check them scores again esp against the better comp and try again. The games Dak balled in he was normally stat padding outside of the first Eagles game and the Vikings game. The only thing you’re in the lead for is being a scared Dak fan that doesn’t want a better qb because you know it would make Dak look like an Atari compared to a ps5 lol

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Let me tell you this you and any of the dummies on tv using wins as a qb stat are stupid on this issue. If that’s the case why didn’t you want Jason here since wins are so much a thing? You can’t use the same exact wins to hype Dak up but discredit Jason. I guess you scary pro Dak people don’t get that. It’s not debatable how talented our team is on offense. We have a top 10 wr, top 5 rb and oline but you want to say debatable? Anything to make Dak look better smh.

This myth that the D lost games is more lazy rhetoric from the pro Dak crew. Better check them scores again esp against the better comp and try again. The games Dak balled in he was normally stat padding outside of the first Eagles game and the Vikings game. The only thing you’re in the lead for is being a scared Dak fan that doesn’t want a better qb because you know it would make Dak look like an Atari compared to a ps5 lol

Dak guys never have an answer for this:

New Orleans scores 12 points and wins
New England scores 13 points and wins
Eagles score 17 points and win (biggest game of the season for us and all we can do on offense is score 10 points)

For the record our D was 11th against the run this year, 10th against the pass this year and 11th in points given up this year. Overall we were the 10th ranked D

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netTotalYards/dir/asc

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Eagles score 17 points and win (biggest game of the season for us and all we can do on offense is score 10 points)

Even the Viking game.. Sure Dak played great but our defense didn't allow a point in the 4th quarter of that game and we scored a whopping 3 points in the 4th quarter.. If we could've just managed to score 1 TD at home in the 4th quarter we win that game.

The Packer game.. Our offense screwed that game up early on an it unraveled on the rest of the team.. GB could not stop us but our sloppy offense kept botching it.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Even the Viking game.. Sure Dak played great but our defense didn't allow a point in the 4th quarter of that game and we scored a whopping 3 points in the 4th quarter.. If we could've just managed to score 1 TD at home in the 4th quarter we win that game.

The Packer game.. Our offense screwed that game up early on an it unraveled on the rest of the team.. GB could not stop us but our sloppy offense kept botching it.

Here is our season in a nutshell for our VAUNTED offense. In the games our D was balling our offense couldn't score if thier lives depended on it and in the few games where they weren't great guess what? our offense still couldn't score if their lives depended on it. The Packer game is a great example. D wasn't great that game but with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter we were down 31-3. You are not going to win many football games period, if that late in the 3rd quarter you only have 3 points on the board

Philmonroe

Reaction score

For the record our D was 11th against the run this year, 10th against the pass this year and 11th in points given up this year. Overall we were the 10th ranked D

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netTotalYards/dir/asc
That’s why I said people just parrot what whoever in the media aka known pov is and just run with it with no context at all. It’s like some of our fellow Boys fans didn’t watch the same games as we did. Dak isn’t all that’s wrong but the qb gets too much credit and blame period. When I posted good things when he was playing good the first threee games most had nothing to say but once he gets criticized it’s you’re a hater and other lazy accusations.

The D isn’t the greatest but this the D was soooooo sorry narrative isn’t true if you actually watched the games. Of course your want more takeaways but like I’ve said before this isn’t madden where you press a button at the right time and there goes a turneover.

johneric8

Reaction score

Wrong brother, I do have an answer for this, but the problem is you and I will disagree on my answer. For me, without a great coach that not only schemes properly to win games but hold players accountable our boys we're sunk before they left the marina. I honestly believe that many times we failed because of incredible stale and stubborn game planning. There is no doubt that many games we ended up losing we flat out gave up as a team. This shouldn't happen but it was allowed to happen for many years under Garrett. What I see with Dak is great numbers and a winners mentality. I see nothing lacking whatsoever in his game, sure he can improve, but the limitations that were glaring was the fact that we had prehistoric philosophies with no accountability that greatly affected the cohesiveness of our team.

The loses that you point to in your original post can't be put on just Dak's shoulders. You can't sit here and tell me that our coaching gave us any kind of advantages in those games you listed. In fact, our coaches didn't scheme the obvious and were too late in adjustments. When our coaching and players got punched in the mouth everyone failed, it wasn't only on Dak's shoulders when receivers are dropping balls and our run game is stymied. All I'm trying to do is get you guys to be objective, but I understand this isn't going to happen. Me personally, I've seen Dak be absolutely elite many times, just like he was against Arod when we almost beat the packers in the playoffs. Our defense was horrid, an absolute abomination.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Wrong brother, I do have an answer for this, but the problem is you and I will disagree on my answer. For me, without a great coach that not only schemes properly to win games but hold players accountable our boys we're sunk before they left the marina. I honestly believe that many times we failed because of incredible stale and stubborn game planning. There is no doubt that many games we ended up losing we flat out gave up as a team. This shouldn't happen but it was allowed to happen for many years under Garrett. What I see with Dak is great numbers and a winners mentality. I see nothing lacking whatsoever in his game, sure he can improve, but the limitations that were glaring was the fact that we had prehistoric philosophies with no accountability that greatly affected the cohesiveness of our team.

The loses that you point to in your original post can't be put on just Dak's shoulders. You can't sit here and tell me that our coaching gave us any kind of advantages in those games you listed. In fact, our coaches didn't scheme the obvious and were too late in adjustments. When our coaching and players got punched in the mouth everyone failed, it wasn't only on Dak's shoulders when receivers are dropping balls and our run game is stymied. All I'm trying to do is get you guys to be objective, but I understand this isn't going to happen. Me personally, I've seen Dak be absolutely elite many times, just like he was against Arod when we almost beat the packers in the playoffs. Our defense was horrid, an absolute abomination.

Of course the losses can be put directly on the offense, somehow you seem to think that the guy who touches the ball on every offensive play bears no responsibilty for what goes on with the offense, you like to blame everyone but Dak. When he and the offense has a bad game it is the coaches fault or the D's fault or the WR dropped some balls, basically it's everybody's fault but Dak's. Last year it was Dak had no WR so they got him Cooper, the year before it was Zeke got suspended, the real simple truth is Dak is average and nothing is going to change that. Stats don't mean anything, whats around you doesn't mean anything, what means something is what you do when it on your shoulders. Want to know what a franchise QB is look at Wentz he lost all his starting WR's he lost Ertz for a couple of games he lost his top 2 running backs and he lost both his tackles and what did he do? He found a way to win 4 straight to end the season (including beating us) and get his team to the playoffs, was it pretty? absolutely not infact it was ugly but Wentz took his team and put them on his shoulders and got them to the playoffs and in the biggest game of the year he found a way to get a couple of TD's against us while Dak playing against a completley decimated Eagles secondary could only put up 3 FG's. One guy played like a franchise QB that game and that's why he's being paid like one our guy isn't and that is why he will be tagged. Don't believe me? well ask yourself this one question and be honest with yourself if Dak was the guy who lost Cooper, Gallop and Cobb for most of the season the way Wentz lost Jackson, Jeffries and Agholar for most of the season do we even win 8 games? If your being honest really honest you the answer to that question and please don't quote me Dak's stat vs Wentz's stats because that will go against your argument that it's the coaches fault

johneric8

Reaction score
Of course the losses can be put directly on the offense, somehow you seem to think that the guy who touches the ball on every offensive play bears no responsibilty for what goes on with the offense, you like to blame everyone but Dak. When he and the offense has a bad game it is the coaches fault or the D's fault or the WR dropped some balls, basically it's everybody's fault but Dak's. Last year it was Dak had no WR so they got him Cooper, the year before it was Zeke got suspended, the real simple truth is Dak is average and nothing is going to change that. Stats don't mean anything, whats around you doesn't mean anything, what means something is what you do when it on your shoulders. Want to know what a franchise QB is look at Wentz he lost all his starting WR's he lost Ertz for a couple of games he lost his top 2 running backs and he lost both his tackles and what did he do? He found a way to win 4 straight to end the season (including beating us) and get his team to the playoffs, was it pretty? absolutely not infact it was ugly but Wentz took his team and put them on his shoulders and got them to the playoffs and in the biggest game of the year he found a way to get a couple of TD's against us while Dak playing against a completley decimated Eagles secondary could only put up 3 FG's. One guy played like a franchise QB that game and that's why he's being paid like one our guy isn't and that is why he will be tagged. Don't believe me? well ask yourself this one question and be honest with yourself if Dak was the guy who lost Cooper, Gallop and Cobb for most of the season the way Wentz lost Jackson, Jeffries and Agholar for most of the season do we even win 8 games? If your being honest really honest you the answer to that question and please don't quote me Dak's stat vs Wentz's stats because that will go against your argument that it's the coaches fault

I think you're really missing my point. Yes, the offense has struggled at times, even though it was among the best in the NFL, but the problem isn't as easy to nail down as you like to imagine. I understand that Dak touches the ball every offensive snap, but half the time he is handing it off and the other half he is reliant on a offensive line and receiver core to be where they're suppose to be and make plays and get open. You factor all of these things in and look at Dak's numbers then the story looks much different than your simplified grade school evaluation of his performance. I'm not saying Dak is perfect, but how some of you fail to see that he has the ability to do just about everything at a very high level baffles me.

When you talk about Wentz putting the eagles on his shoulders and winning a playoff game good for him, Dak did the same thing against Seattle last year. Do you not realize that the culture of our team was toxic this entire season? As soon as there was any kind of turmoil the entire infrastructure collapsed. To me eyes when I watched our team play the Eagles at the end of the season I saw a team that completely had given up and was screaming out for a change. For anyone to put that mostly on Dak is looking at things through a very critical lens.

One thing that can't be denied is that Dak has some of the better stats for a QB after 4 years this league has seen, so he is obviously NFL QB material whether some want to admit it or not. As much as it pains the dak haters to hear it, Dak is going to be the Cowboys QB for a long long time so the best thing is to just accept it and start hoping and looking for the positive.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you're really missing my point. Yes, the offense has struggled at times, even though it was among the best in the NFL, but the problem isn't as easy to nail down as you like to imagine. I understand that Dak touches the ball every offensive snap, but half the time he is handing it off and the other half he is reliant on a offensive line and receiver core to be where they're suppose to be and make plays and get open. You factor all of these things in and look at Dak's numbers then the story looks much different than your simplified grade school evaluation of his performance. I'm not saying Dak is perfect, but how some of you fail to see that he has the ability to do just about everything at a very high level baffles me.

When you talk about Wentz putting the eagles on his shoulders and winning a playoff game good for him, Dak did the same thing against Seattle last year. Do you not realize that the culture of our team was toxic this entire season? As soon as there was any kind of turmoil the entire infrastructure collapsed. To me eyes when I watched our team play the Eagles at the end of the season I saw a team that completely had given up and was screaming out for a change. For anyone to put that mostly on Dak is looking at things through a very critical lens.

One thing that can't be denied is that Dak has some of the better stats for a QB after 4 years this league has seen, so he is obviously NFL QB material whether some want to admit it or not. As much as it pains the dak haters to hear it, Dak is going to be the Cowboys QB for a long long time so the best thing is to just accept it and start hoping and looking for the positive.

I'm not missing your point i just don't agree with it. I like Dak i just don't think he is "elite" QB material i think he is average and on a good day or career year he can play at an above average level, but for the most part to me he will just always be average. You can win a SB with an average QB it has been done in the past (not very often) but it has been done as long as the team around him is very very good. Last year without Cooper to throw too Dak wasn't average he was below average, can we agree on that? So i ask you again what you think Dak would have been able to accomplish this season playing with the set of WR that Wentz had to after he lost his top 3 WR's. I really don't think we would have won 6 games under that set of circumstances. Let's just agree to disagree