Translate the attached Dak stats

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Wins = Team stat.

Get a good QB in here and those wins are higher.

Isn't it strange that what most should call good stats with a Prescott lead team are attributed to "team". Your example of 29-14 being a prime example. On the other hand, most of the good stats on a Romo-lead team were attributed to him because he didn't have good teams around him. As a reminder, in his first 3 full years (minus the Drew Bledsoe games in 2006) Romo lead teams won 31 games and lost 17. I know, the Romo lead teams from 2006-2008 were devoid of all talent :rolleyes:. I'm thinking there is a distinct possibility that Prescott-lead teams will hit that 31 W number by the end of 2018 and possibly even play in two playoff games, possibly winning 1. What do I know. 2 more wins and a playoff game seems pretty realistic though;) Yep, let's go out and sign the best FA QB in 2019, Teddy Bridgewater. Not your style?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yo don't want to make a decision based solely on any one season. Good or bad. Rookie season or not. But to dismiss the rookie season all together is also silly for players who only played little over 2.5 years in the league. That's why I said 3 year mark is a good one to go by and that's what most FO will base their decision on. And that's what most good coaches will tell you also (Landry, Parcells).

And your comment about YPA isn't true when comparing two players with similar completion %.

Sure it's true. And, they don't have similar completion % anyway. They are 2.2% apart.

You can't completely ignore the rookie season, but you should mostly take it with a grain of salt. I want the guys who have more talent and get better over time.

You can take the guy who has a better season one. I will take the guys who struggled more in season one but have been much better in seasons 2 and 3, and will be for a long time to come.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Isn't it strange that what most should call good stats with a Prescott lead team are attributed to "team". Your example of 29-14 being a prime example. On the other hand, most of the good stats on a Romo-lead team were attributed to him because he didn't have good teams around him. As a reminder, in his first 3 full years (minus the Drew Bledsoe games in 2006) Romo lead teams won 31 games and lost 17. I know, the Romo lead teams from 2006-2008 were devoid of all talent :rolleyes:. I'm thinking there is a distinct possibility that Prescott-lead teams will hit that 31 W number by the end of 2018 and possibly even play in a two playoff game, possibly winning 1. What do I know. 2 more wins and a playoff game seems pretty realistic though;)

Romo doesn't get wins or losses either.

Maybe it's interesting that you guys keep trying to use team stats to prop up one player?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Romo doesn't get wins or losses either.

Maybe it's interesting that you guys keep trying to use team stats to prop up one player?

We don't, as you say, it's a team game with many (fans and media) crediting the QB for wins or losses on any given Sunday. Such is life for an NFL QB. Ok, so passing yards, TD's, QBR are important right. Those are individual stats, or are they? Sort of requires a WR and TE to throw too. Romo had TO, Glenn, Austan and eventually Dez and Witt. Ok you're right, lets sign the best FA QB in 2019. Teddy Bridgewater. Tell me Kevincus, how many more wins will that bring. Teddy not your "style"? Ok let's draft one in the second round but remember 2 things"

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....

AND Better the devil you know than the one you don't

Catch the meaning

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What you call fantasy is logic and probability, and a long history of paying attention to the game.
But if we brought in someone I felt was good, and the team was essentially as it is now, and there wasn't more team success, I would be surprised, but admit I was wrong. Will you do the same? Will you guys stop moving the goal posts after every game (sometimes every play)?

They brought in someone you felt was good? LOL, what are you the QB whisperer? What NFL team do you work for?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
IDK, I'll take 29-14 over 2.75 years. I can see a play-off game in the near future too. SB? Yes it's a team effort. The QB is considered to be the leader, whether it was Romo or it's Dak. Rightfully or wrongfully the QB takes the brunt of the criticism or the accolades. Romo did, Dak does. Better have gator skin if you want to be a QB in Dallas. A short memory at the least.

What does 29-14 in 2.75 years project to over 8 years? A few playoff wins would certainly make it look even better. That was the bitter Romo pill.
he is 16-12 over the past 1.75 years....... that;'s slightly above average....

at this pace, that 13-3 first season will be diluted with a lot of average seasons and average play......

Zman5

Reaction score
Sure it's true. And, they don't have similar completion % anyway. They are 2.2% apart.

You can't completely ignore the rookie season, but you should mostly take it with a grain of salt. I want the guys who have more talent and get better over time.

You can take the guy who has a better season one. I will take the guys who struggled more in season one but have been much better in seasons 2 and 3, and will be for a long time to come.

That 2.2% is a non factor considering they are both above 60% passers. Considering they both only played little over 2.5 years, you absoluteness have to take their rookie season in to account. More than just "grain of salt".

The type of QB you or I prefer isn't important to this conversation. I'm only trying to bring clarification to the false narrative that Dak is a dink and dunk bus driver yet Wentz is a gun slinging mad bomber.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak had a bad 2nd half to 2017 and poor start to THIS year because the Oline went in the toilet. THATS IT!!!

Anyone that keeps acting like he simply played poorly for no reason doesnt understand QB play or the game of football.
actually it may not be that.....all things being equal....its about Zeke. when Zeke was out we were 3-3, with Zeke 5-3...... and this year when zeke performs we win, when he doesn't we lose. in games that zeke had over 100 total yards, we are 6-1 and in games he didn't we are 1-4...... and everything else is pretty much the same..... this offenses success is predicated on Zeke and not Dak....

now did Dak's stats improve with Cooper. heck yes. if it didn't I would want his arse fired immediately....you don't give him a two time prowl top 10 draft and expect him to be the same. but the results are the same....when zeke does well, we tend to score more points and win games..... with coop. or without coop. Titans bottled up Zeke and we lost. and this past game was actually not a good game offensively, even though Zeke had a really good game. and apparently everyone thinks Dak had a great game..... we only scored 13.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Consider this. When Dak holds the ball too long and takes a sack, do you think perhaps Dak is making a benign statement that he doesn't think he is accurate?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are the 16th ranked offense as of this article on Nov 24th. We have begun to make huge strides, ESPECIALLY on 3rd down. We were as you stated much worse, but that was BEFORE Cooper.

Its fluid and we are getting better, as is Dak. Im not sure why some want to pigeonhole him into 2017 and the beginning of the season but things are changing (see 4 game win streak) and they're missing the most fun we've had since 2016.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjWmMTEgoDfAhUa3YMKHXQhClYQzPwBCAM&url=https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/11/24/18109424/amari-cooper-has-transformed-the-cowboys-offense-just-check-the-stats&psig=AOvVaw1uE3CqwRxBDfbEfWi6cs4n&ust=1543801406098950
There seems to be something distinctly different this year as opposed to his first two years. They are trying to make a pocket passer out of him. He's instinctively a rollout passer and he isn't consistent with pocket plays. He needs a pristine pocket to be most effective, in that regard, but I'm not sure even that is helping until he develops better foot work and timing progressions.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Dak’s problem isn’t his accuracy. It’s the amount of time he holds the ball and his inability to throw the ball away.

Stats are misleading - there isn’t a good way to show the damage a sack does to this offense on 1st and 10.

But the other parts of his game are above average or good. I truly believe that if he can fix this part of his game, and perhaps take off and run a bit more, that he could be an elite QB.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Here is one that will get people going.

Through his first 44 career games:

Troy Aikman 727 / 1232 (59%) with 39 TD and 55 INTs

Dak Prescott 862 / 1313 (66%) with 59 TDs and 22 INTs.

Before we start hearing excuses, they run the same style of offense, both have stud running backs and defenses, and Troy had the better coach.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
and its idiocy to just blindly credit dak with 29 wins just because he is taking snaps from the center
he just does too many things to hinder the teams offense to write that blank check
As a qb your job is win games, period.
That's it.
So yes, you get credited with your record at qb, both good and bad.
Trying to argue that a guy 29-15 is "hindering the team form winning" is about as goofball as it gets.
You haven't had a salient point yet.

DAL slows the game down reducing the number of passing plays for BOTH teams.
They run the ball 45% of the time and only pass it 30 times per game which is 27th most in football.

Anyways it is clear you do not care about little things like facts or logic so welcome to the goofball club, i.e. ignore.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak’s problem isn’t his accuracy. It’s the amount of time he holds the ball and his inability to throw the ball away.

Stats are misleading - there isn’t a good way to show the damage a sack does to this offense on 1st and 10.

But the other parts of his game are above average or good. I truly believe that if he can fix this part of his game, and perhaps take off and run a bit more, that he could be an elite QB.
ACTUAL FACTS in Dak thread, holy cow!!!
Dak is 5th or 6th in time to throw(2.93 seconds). That's holding the ball too long, He's actually below Jared Goff but with this OL he has to get it out sooner.
And he fumbles WAAYYYYY too much (leads league) tho he is able to recover a good number of his own fumbles(which make his actual TO number very middling not poor).

What you get for this holding the ball too long? Extra accuracy, rushing yardage and an insanely low interception percentage with a very low percent of dump offs.

He should be able to develop in this area and he has improved since Cooper got here as WR separation means far easier and quicker reads.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I am definitely starting to believe we have some of the most ignorant fans in all of sports.

This forum has undoubtedly confirmed that opinion over the 4 game winning streak.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
They brought in someone you felt was good? LOL, what are you the QB whisperer? What NFL team do you work for?

I said a good QB. If they brought in a crappy QB am I supposed to consider him good so you can try and say I told you so? You'd want me to admit I'm wrong if they got a scrub? Think before clicking Post Reply.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That 2.2% is a non factor considering they are both above 60% passers. Considering they both only played little over 2.5 years, you absoluteness have to take their rookie season in to account. More than just "grain of salt".

The type of QB you or I prefer isn't important to this conversation. I'm only trying to bring clarification to the false narrative that Dak is a dink and dunk bus driver yet Wentz is a gun slinging mad bomber.

Lol, whatever. Your first sentence shows you have no interest in addressing this honestly.

Zman5

Reaction score
Lol, whatever. Your first sentence shows you have no interest in addressing this honestly.

Really. Care to explain? I think if anything, for you to take out a whole year worth of data for players who only played little over 2.5 years shows either you don't know how statistics work or your agenda.

If you take out the rookie year, you are only looking at 1.5 season of data. There is no way you can accurately evaluate a player based on 1.5 year of data.

This is same crap Romo haters used to do. Cherry pick data to fit their agenda.