Translate the attached Dak stats

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know what he is, it's you who's struggling.
I'm not struggling with anything. I can see he's a guy who played very well in the first half against the Saints, then regressed to his usual level for the second half. I really want him to be who he was in the first half, and it looks like he's gaining confidence in Cooper and Gallup, anticipating their routes and throwing it before they get wide open, which is a nice thing to see. Hopefully, we see more of that first half Dak. Hopefully, the team brings in someone to help him with his footwork, pocket awareness, and ball security.

But at the moment, he's a mediocre QB.

Dre11

Reaction score
I'm not struggling with anything. I can see he's a guy who played very well in the first half against the Saints, then regressed to his usual level for the second half. I really want him to be who he was in the first half, and it looks like he's gaining confidence in Cooper and Gallup, anticipating their routes and throwing it before they get wide open, which is a nice thing to see. Hopefully, we see more of that first half Dak. Hopefully, the team brings in someone to help him with his footwork, pocket awareness, and ball security.

But at the moment, he's a mediocre QB.

Right now he's league average.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Easy.

Dak is a conservative passer. He's a bus driver. He throws safe passes for a high completion % and fewer INTs. When guys like that have a good running game and defense and aren't really asked to do much, it results in inflated passer ratings. It doesn't really move the ball all that well, but hey, it looks good in the rating stat. It's how Tyrod Taylor had 6 games over 100 rating in 2015, and 2016 (including 4 over 123 in 2015). Lots of dump offs, screens, play action. Imagine what he would have done with the Cowboys OL, Elliott, and actually above college level WRs. Oh, and the majority of those (Dak's) came in 2016, before defenses adjusted.

Then wins are a team stat, so it doesn't make any sense to even bring it up.
Are defenses going to adjust to Wentz, Goff and Mahomes or does it just apply to Dak? Asking for a friend.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Are defenses going to adjust to Wentz, Goff and Mahomes or does it just apply to Dak? Asking for a friend.
Defenses adjust to everyone. QBs with limited talent will be less likely to counter them.

Notice how the arrow for Goff and Wentz went up after their rookie years, and Dak's went down?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't need to look it up.
jABWDS0m.jpg

Zman5

Reaction score
People need to look at Percy's post above on Dak's stats with Cooper on the team. And that's with a compromised O-line.

Zman5

Reaction score
Easy.

Dak is a conservative passer. He's a bus driver. He throws safe passes for a high completion % and fewer INTs. When guys like that have a good running game and defense and aren't really asked to do much, it results in inflated passer ratings. It doesn't really move the ball all that well, but hey, it looks good in the rating stat. It's how Tyrod Taylor had 6 games over 100 rating in 2015, and 2016 (including 4 over 123 in 2015). Lots of dump offs, screens, play action. Imagine what he would have done with the Cowboys OL, Elliott, and actually above college level WRs. Oh, and the majority of those (Dak's) came in 2016, before defenses adjusted.

Then wins are a team stat, so it doesn't make any sense to even bring it up.

Then is Wentz a bus driver too?

Wentz's career YPA is 7.0 yards
Dak's carrer YPA is 7.4 yards.

And that's with Eagles having bigger YAC numbers which means Dak's throwing more longer in the air passes on the average.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Then is Wentz a bus driver too?

Wentz's career YPA is 7.0 yards
Dak's carrer YPA is 7.4 yards.

And that's with Eagles having bigger YAC numbers which means Dak's throwing more longer in the air passes on the average.

Higher completion % aids YPA because of fewer 0 yard attempts.

Also, trends are far more meaningful than career numbers at this stage.

And YPA is not what defines a bus driver.

Zman5

Reaction score
Higher completion % aids YPA because of fewer 0 yard attempts.

Also, trends are far more meaningful than career numbers at this stage.

And YPA is not what defines a bus driver.

The completion % is close between the two so your assumption completion % aiding YPA is moot. Basically the two QBs have very similar stats yet one is called a "bus driver" by our fans and the other isn't.

I disagree that trends are far more meaningful than career numbers when comparing the two since they have both only played just over 2.5 seasons. It's not like we are comparing two 10 year vets. Three years of sample size is just about right. It's enough data yet it doesn't account for how someone played, both good and bad, long time a go.

Bus driver is typically define as someone who mainly throws short passes. If YPA stat isn't part of what define a bus driver what does?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
1. Dak still has a long way to go in terms of learning the NFL and polishing his game
2. He is running an offense designed for Romo not him... makes me wonder what he could do in a system built around his strengths?
3. The offensive system is archaic and outdated anyway and needs to go— regardless of who is QB
4. He is playing behind a beat up OL— a lot of pressures are on Dak— but not nearly all of them.
5. He is handicapped by predictable playcalling— and he does not yet possess the savvy Romo did to change plays and read defenses

IMO— Dak is a gamer, a leader, and a winner. Lots of things to like about his demeanor and makeup and toughness. That said— there are some very troubling flaws that don’t seem to be improving: bad footwork, holds the ball too long, trouble reading the field and finding the open guy, and ball security (11 fumbles!).

I think we all want a new OC and offensive system next year— that is our best hope to seeing Dak reach his ceiling. There is no way JJ is letting him walk anyway— the stats and Ws are there to support signing him— so we have to hope a change at OC, a healthier OL, and experience helps Dak maximize his ability.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
IDK, I'll take 29-14 over 2.75 years. I can see a play-off game in the near future too. SB? Yes it's a team effort. The QB is considered to be the leader, whether it was Romo or it's Dak. Rightfully or wrongfully the QB takes the brunt of the criticism or the accolades. Romo did, Dak does. Better have gator skin if you want to be a QB in Dallas. A short memory at the least.

What does 29-14 in 2.75 years project to over 8 years? A few playoff wins would certainly make it look even better. That was the bitter Romo pill.