LB Smith 44th out of 86
DL Gallimore : 99th out of 130
DL Hill 127th out of 130
DL Woods 86th out of 130
DL Crawford 113 out of 130
Edge rusher Smith 52 out of 108
Edge rusher Armstrong 89th out of 108
Edge Rusher DLAW 5th out of 108

As you can see, other than DLAW, we have a defense whose personnel ranges from JAG to "lucky to be in the NFL"..........most are near the very bottom of their position in the league. Can't win with this little talent regardless of scheme........or QB.
PFF is usually spot on, but there is no way Xavier Woods is that good (49th out of 90 Safeties).

Woods sucks. Should be much lower.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
His play has dropped off since he signed that big contract. Go watch film of him now. He routinely jogs behind the play, takes poor angles, makes token effort to get around blocks...... he tries to hide it behind enthusiasm and lots of on field celebrations, but we are stuck with his contract for at least another year.
No argument from me on that, but this coaching staff continues to trot him out there despite a consistent decline in performance. It’s possible we need to replace coaching with jerry in that sentence, but either way I’m sticking to my original point. No one on this defense has improved under the new staff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Draft a QB with which pick? In which round?
Depends . They didn’t say specifically but I’d assume early . What if we traded down to pick up more picks . There’s possibly going to be 6 or 7 QB’s go in 1st round.

This is a QB strong draft. Take one. If nothing else it provides trade capital in upcoming years. Especially if there’s not a defensive player early that’s a sure impact player.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I know that’s an attempt at sarcasm, but the state of the defense is the main argument for taking a QB early. That frees up about $30MM to spend in FA.

is that the right move? Only if you hit on the qb you take.
Dak is a bonafied Top 7 overall franchise QB who is just entering his prime years at the age of 27. Why would you want to use a early round pick on a QB that most certainly will take 3-4 years to see if he can turn into a franchise QB? Plus, it's not a guarantee. Also, by that time, most of this team will be gone while the team will certainly be in rebuild mode. The time to win is now these next 3-4 years.

This team needs to go hard on Defense.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Depends . They didn’t say specifically but I’d assume early . What if we traded down to pick up more picks . There’s possibly going to be 6 or 7 QB’s go in 1st round.

This is a QB strong draft. Take one. If nothing else it provides trade capital in upcoming years. Especially if there’s not a defensive player early that’s a sure impact player.
Why do you want to use any 1st round pick on a QB???

I agree they should trade down and pick up extra picks though. Address the Defense, then pick a QB in the middle rounds if you truly want another QB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak is a bonafied Top 7 overall franchise QB who is just entering his prime years at the age of 27. Why would you want to use a early round pick on a QB that most certainly will take 3-4 years to see if he can turn into a franchise QB? Plus, it's not a guarantee. Also, by that time, most of this team will be gone while the team will certainly be in rebuild mode. The time to win is now these next 3-4 years.

This team needs to go hard on Defense.
Not saying they should or shouldn’t. I’m just saying the argument for taking a qb is literally that it’s the quickest way to fix the defense. You could probably get three average or better players in FA for what you’ll pay dak per year.

Obviously moving in from dak creates additional issues, however this team drafted 4 defensive players in the first 5 rounds last year. It didnt help much.

maybe they have better ways to free up money, but at some point they have to actually look to FA to bring in established defensive players.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not saying they should or shouldn’t. I’m just saying the argument for taking a qb is literally that it’s the quickest way to fix the defense. You could probably get three average or better players in FA for what you’ll pay dak per year.

Obviously moving in from dak creates additional issues, however this team drafted 4 defensive players in the first 5 rounds last year. It didnt help much.

maybe they have better ways to free up money, but at some point they have to actually look to FA to bring in established defensive players.
So you should pay everyone except your stud QB who proved this season beyond a question of a doubt that he's the best and most important player on the team?

This kind of thinking is why this team is failing.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And here are how your Cowboy defensive players stack up against their peers:

CB Awuzie : 80 out of 125
CB Lewis : 113 out of 125
CB Brown: 106 out of 125
S Thompson: 89th out of 90
S X Woods : 49th out of 90
LB Thomas : 66th out of 86
LB LVE 41st out of 86
LB Smith 44th out of 86
DL Hill 127th out of 130
DL Woods 86th out of 130

As you can see, other than DLAW, we have a defense whose personnel ranges from JAG to "lucky to be in the NFL"..........most are near the very bottom of their position in the league. Can't win with this little talent regardless of scheme........or QB.

Gregory has a decent grade at 67.9, but not enough snaps yet to get a ranking.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And here are how your Cowboy defensive players stack up against their peers:

CB Awuzie : 80 out of 125
CB Lewis : 113 out of 125
CB Brown: 106 out of 125
S Thompson: 89th out of 90
S X Woods : 49th out of 90
LB Thomas : 66th out of 86
LB LVE 41st out of 86
LB Smith 44th out of 86
DL Hill 127th out of 130
DL Woods 86th out of 130

I'm assuming some of those would be better if there hadn't been so many issues adjusting to the scheme, but I'm not sure how much. No matter what we've got a whole lot to fix on this unit by next season ... and we can't do it all in the draft.